OK, FLeabay is out of control, or is it? :)

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7338476758

Thank the Edge and Mayer for buying all of them up, but this is just silly, silly, silly.
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    JofZ wrote:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7338476758

Thank the Edge and Mayer for buying all of them up, but this is just silly, silly, silly.

Yeah, I agree. Not worth it. My ears are not discriminating enough.

http://www.music123.com/Gibson-1958-Les-Paul-Plain-Top--Faded-Tabacco-finish-i225807.music

This just arrived at the music 123 custom shop. I am glad it wasn't available a month ago... it would have made my decision very tough.
    There's No Code.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    House53 wrote:
    Yeah, I agree. Not worth it. My ears are not discriminating enough.

http://www.music123.com/Gibson-1958-Les-Paul-Plain-Top--Faded-Tabacco-finish-i225807.music

This just arrived at the music 123 custom shop. I am glad it wasn't available a month ago... it would have made my decision very tough.
    oooh a plaintop 58 in TB, nice axe!
    Tone heaven!!

Man, I hope they call me soon I am sick of waiting :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    JofZ wrote:
    oooh a plaintop 58 in TB, nice axe!
    Tone heaven!!

Man, I hope they call me soon I am sick of waiting :)

I need to call them to thank them. I think I am past the initial honeymoon phase with the R6. I think it is a great axe and they picked out a nice one for sure.

I do need to replace the nut and may put an RS kit in... the tone knob isn't very balanced in its sweep. But on the whole the guitar is great.

It really is a bigger more powerful version of my Townshend SG. I can get all the tones that the townshend hit, plus there is an extra power to the tone when really pushed.

BTW

I think your guitar will be worth the wait...
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    What, the Hell is going on? Someone has to be buying that to copy the circuit.

Note to Line 6, get your heads out of your collective digital asses and let Jorge Tripps build some analog stuff again for a change.

Spanky, tell your supers man, I know this digital thing is your bread and butter but you guys have a genious there.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    House53 wrote:
    I need to call them to thank them. I think I am past the initial honeymoon phase with the R6. I think it is a great axe and they picked out a nice one for sure.

I do need to replace the nut and may put an RS kit in... the tone knob isn't very balanced in its sweep. But on the whole the guitar is great.

It really is a bigger more powerful version of my Townshend SG. I can get all the tones that the townshend hit, plus there is an extra power to the tone when really pushed.

BTW

I think your guitar will be worth the wait...

I am glad you like it, and a bone nut would be an improvement. The rs kit should be as well, there are some other tone mods you should look into, check the LPF for details and schematics.
    The wait sucks, especially when I keep finding other axes and I have to remind myself that the wait will be worth it.
    Mark's Guitar loft just put up Johnny A's Murphy 94 plaintop and it is under 5K, beautiful axe.
    http://www.marksguitarloft.com/catalog.php?cat=new
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    I am glad you like it, and a bone nut would be an improvement. The rs kit should be as well, there are some other tone mods you should look into, check the LPF for details and schematics.
    The wait sucks, especially when I keep finding other axes and I have to remind myself that the wait will be worth it.
    Mark's Guitar loft just put up Johnny A's Murphy 94 plaintop and it is under 5K, beautiful axe.
    http://www.marksguitarloft.com/catalog.php?cat=new

They have some nice stuff at that store as well.

The biggest things with the nut is the b string is cut too deep. there is a fret buzz I cannot dial out without raising the action on the guitar too high. You can see it is deeper than all of the other strings.

I played my tele for the first time in three weeks last night... that was a good time. I played Do the Evolution while my cat chased his cat toys around... it was like a sound track on Animal Planet... :D
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    What, the Hell is going on? Someone has to be buying that to copy the circuit.

Note to Line 6, get your heads out of your collective digital asses and let Jorge Tripps build some analog stuff again for a change.

Spanky, tell your supers man, I know this digital thing is your bread and butter but you guys have a genious there.

Honestly, I think it is all hype. Hype based on the idea a pedal will instantly make you sound like {insert favorite name here}. The Edge has a couple on his 3rd back up board, so it is safe to assume he never actually uses them. I know from a couple reliable sources that Mayer has been buying up every one on ebay for the past year, why? No F'en clue. The last one went for 700 bones, crazy but not out of the atmoshpere like this one.
    I think Tripps just sits back and laughs, and LIne6 has some new stuff coming out. Nothing super cool but along the Tsunami lines from what I have been hearing.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

House53 wrote:

The biggest things with the nut is the b string is cut too deep. there is a fret buzz I cannot dial out without raising the action on the guitar too high. You can see it is deeper than all of the other strings.

I played my tele for the first time in three weeks last night... that was a good time. I played Do the Evolution while my cat chased his cat toys around... it was like a sound track on Animal Planet... :D

My new guitar will have an Earvana nut.

I still want a hollowbody too, but your 56 with P90's is right up my alley too.

What's the weight like?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    JofZ wrote:
    Honestly, I think it is all hype. Hype based on the idea a pedal will instantly make you sound like {insert favorite name here}. The Edge has a couple on his 3rd back up board, so it is safe to assume he never actually uses them. I know from a couple reliable sources that Mayer has been buying up every one on ebay for the past year, why? No F'en clue. The last one went for 700 bones, crazy but not out of the atmoshpere like this one.
    I think Tripps just sits back and laughs, and LIne6 has some new stuff coming out. Nothing super cool but along the Tsunami lines from what I have been hearing.

That's what's hilarious, John Mayer, certainly uses his. The edge, just has a crap load of money, his signature sound is mostly digital delay anyway and there were only 4 built, the aqua puss would be better to buy up for touring. Hell he's using a custom built DM Pro from Line 6 on this tour for his distortion sound. Now that, is funny.

This is an example of lots of money and 0 sense.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    My new guitar will have an Earvana nut.

I still want a hollowbody too, but your 56 with P90's is right up my alley too.

What's the weight like?

The weight is not bad at all... 8.X lbs closer to 9 than 8. It is definitely heavier than my telecaster, but not heavier than every tele I have ever played. It is quite a bit lighter than either of the LP Standards or the Studios I have tried recently... It also feels more resonant.

I use a wide strap with it and don't really have any issues playing for an hour or so with it.

I think an ES-135 is a very cool guitar. That is a semihollow with P-90s.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:

I played my strat last week for the first time in a long while and it felt weird. I have to pick it up more often :)
    My dog runs to the basement when ever the amp gets turned on :), I should learn Evacuation :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    I played my strat last week for the first time in a long while and it felt weird. I have to pick it up more often :)
    My dog runs to the basement when ever the amp gets turned on :), I should learn Evacuation :)

My cat loves it when I play, it gets him riled up.

Apparently my tone appeals to him, or he likes having music to accompany his sneak attacks and acrobatics.

Your tone apparently has too much high frequency... try to roll back the ultra high end to save your dog a little. :D Maybe change out to some canine friendly tubes. lol
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    That's what's hilarious, John Mayer, certainly uses his. The edge, just has a crap load of money, his signature sound is mostly digital delay anyway and there were only 4 built, the aqua puss would be better to buy up for touring. Hell he's using a custom built DM Pro from Line 6 on this tour for his distortion sound. Now that, is funny.

Maybe someone is just bidding against John Mayer to make him pay more for this unit... that would be a bit funny.

The Edge certainly has a crap load of money. His using all digital, while it bothers me a bit, does show the truth. The player really makes the rig work or not work. He is enjoying it and making it sound like the Edge.

BTW, I cannot stand U2, but they are good musicians/showmen.
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:

I think the Edge is very overrated, not that it takes anything away from him. But I don't think he could pull off any other style other then his own. If you start taking away all his effects you are left with pretty close to nothing substantial. His axes are amazing, his amps are too die for, his stomp boxes are rack effects are just blah:)
    YOu are exactly right, too much money and no taste hehehe
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

House53 wrote:
    My cat loves it when I play, it gets him riled up.

Apparently my tone appeals to him, or he likes having music to accompany his sneak attacks and acrobatics.

Your tone apparently has too much high frequency... try to roll back the ultra high end to save your dog a little. :D Maybe change out to some canine friendly tubes. lol

You know I thought about this and there has to be some truth to it. He literally looks at me with a foul attitude, puts his ears back and high tails out of there. I bought a bunch of aurlex foam, it did nothing for him. I think it is the vibrations coming through the wood floors. My dog is worse then my wife, at least she smiles while asking me to turn it down LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    You know I thought about this and there has to be some truth to it. He literally looks at me with a foul attitude, puts his ears back and high tails out of there. I bought a bunch of aurlex foam, it did nothing for him. I think it is the vibrations coming through the wood floors. My dog is worse then my wife, at least she smiles while asking me to turn it down LOL

ha, my friends lab comes in and plops down infront of the amp.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    my cat would attack me, especially during incidents of feedback.

he wouldn't just leave the room, no, he had to attack me.

the rest of the time, he'd sit near the back of the amp (warm).
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    ha, my friends lab comes in and plops down infront of the amp.

Proof that your tone is better than J's... sorry, the dogs have spoken... err... acted. :D

My wife, (that is still weird to say), asks me to turn down or goes in another room. Most of the time she sticks around if I play songs that I can sing for her too. Then I come home from running the other day and can hear Let It Be outside and down three flights of stairs... So I know the volume isn't a problem for her.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Proof that your tone is better than J's... sorry, the dogs have spoken... err... acted. :D

My wife, (that is still weird to say), asks me to turn down or goes in another room. Most of the time she sticks around if I play songs that I can sing for her too. Then I come home from running the other day and can hear Let It Be outside and down three flights of stairs... So I know the volume isn't a problem for her.

I'll say this definitively, my tone is not half as good as J's. I just got back from lunch hour at the guitar shop. Good times. I love talking to people about gear. "Can we help you" Not really I'm just looking at strats, I'm probably going to have to build my own. "Oh, well what are you looking for"
    Early 60's body, Medium C neck clay dots Earvana nut Lockers, Dark rosewood board, amber tint neck, 3 tone sunburst Nitrofinish, Callaham bridge and tremolo block plus Big bends nut sauce. 2 Fralin blues at the neck and the middle and a harmonic design S90 at the bridge. Straplocks a decent leather strap and a star to sail her by. "Nope, we got nothin." :D "You could order it from Fender though" Sure for 5 thousand dollars. "You'll probably have to build it yourself." Yup. Still, it's just fun talking about guitars.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    My dog can't stand the sound of my acoustic. He's scared of things big and wood anyway, so he sees the guitar and goes running before a note is played. I'm curious if when I'm playing he hears something in a frequency I can't and it just annoys him. He barks his head off if he does stay in the same room while I play.
    my wife I can understand, she hates anything that isn't PJ, DMB, beatles or the like. I play mostly blues and if I am going to play a tune I usually play the stuff I find to be fun and challenging so it is usually the Jimi or Jimmy or some Bloomfield licks. She hates the stuff I play, the stuff I write and that is OK. My dog and I need to have a sit down, and I am sure my tone sucks :)

I had my Ernie cranking out some crazy pumpkinish feedback the other day and my wife actully asked me if I thought it was music. The nerve I tell you LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    my wife I can understand, she hates anything that isn't PJ, DMB, beatles or the like. I play mostly blues and if I am going to play a tune I usually play the stuff I find to be fun and challenging so it is usually the Jimi or Jimmy or some Bloomfield licks. She hates the stuff I play, the stuff I write and that is OK. My dog and I need to have a sit down, and I am sure my tone sucks :)

I had my Ernie cranking out some crazy pumpkinish feedback the other day and my wife actully asked me if I thought it was music. The nerve I tell you LOL

So THAT'S what I have to look forward to... :D

My wife doesn't like when I "just noodle around." IE just play licks and riffs. She doesn't understand the joy of playing blues licks in A. :)
    There's No Code.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7339102063

get thee behind me Satan.

Think 6105's are big enough or just right?

John Suhr. nice.
    Pacomc79 wrote:

John Suhr. nice.

To quote the title of one of the first songs I ever wrote:

Why Not?

Suhr is known to make great guitars. I would guess this one is no different. You can save some money getting a used one as well.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    So THAT'S what I have to look forward to... :D

My wife doesn't like when I "just noodle around." IE just play licks and riffs. She doesn't understand the joy of playing blues licks in A. :)

It gets worse too, just wait LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Pacomc79 wrote:

John Suhr. nice.

Is it just me or is that price almost too good to be true? :)
    BRZ board is worth the asking price LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Is it just me or is that price almost too good to be true? :)
    BRZ board is worth the asking price LOL

he's from the gear page and that's pretty low, the reason Suhr wasn't really in my view.

USA customs will build me a neck with a brazilian board and the finish I want for probably around 400. Tough to find dark rosewood The Alder body will likely cost me around the same 400 or so.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    he's from the gear page and that's pretty low, the reason Suhr wasn't really in my view.

USA customs will build me a neck with a brazilian board and the finish I want for probably around 400. Tough to find dark rosewood The Alder body will likely cost me around the same 400 or so.

never trust those guys that post on the gear page. bad news all the way around. ;)

I would just like to say that I could never have the patience you have shown in shopping for this strat... really, it's impressive.

I would have wound up with a olympic white w/maple board because I "got a good deal." :) (wait a minute, that sounds like a strat I might actually play.)
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:

I always wondered what the real story was behind the braz. board stock. I thought after 8/03 it was illeagal to export the wood out of South A. I know Gibson is using a rosewood that is similar, but not the same. People are spending 2k for the fret board, so what gives? PRS has a few braz peices in the custom shop, all of them are over 7K, but you can still order them.
    I guess I am missing something.

here are some interesting facts:
    CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species). Ah, CITES, intended to keep Dalbergia nigra (that's the botanical name for Brazilian rosewood) from extinction, but probably destined to assure that very fate. (Who besides governments wants to protect living things that are economically worthless because they are illegal to harvest.) It's still legal to use wood harvested before June 11, 1992, and a guitar with Brazilian rosewood parts can still be exported if the shipment is accompanied by documentation testifying to it's provenance (nearly impossible to obtain), but no living Brazilian rosewood trees may be harvested, none. What has happened to the price of Brazilian rosewood? You guessed it: it's soared. Indian rosewood back/sides sets of very high quality, by contrast, sell for about 7% of the price of Brazilian of comparable quality.

It appears that the CITES laws are not as structured as they appear. You can still export finished products made from braz. rosewood. How are they getting this wood? from illegal logging is my only guess.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    I always wondered what the real story was behind the braz. board stock. I thought after 8/03 it was illeagal to export the wood out of South A. I know Gibson is using a rosewood that is similar, but not the same. People are spending 2k for the fret board, so what gives? PRS has a few braz peices in the custom shop, all of them are over 7K, but you can still order them.
    I guess I am missing something.

here are some interesting facts:
    CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species). Ah, CITES, intended to keep Dalbergia nigra (that's the botanical name for Brazilian rosewood) from extinction, but probably destined to assure that very fate. (Who besides governments wants to protect living things that are economically worthless because they are illegal to harvest.) It's still legal to use wood harvested before June 11, 1992, and a guitar with Brazilian rosewood parts can still be exported if the shipment is accompanied by documentation testifying to it's provenance (nearly impossible to obtain), but no living Brazilian rosewood trees may be harvested, none. What has happened to the price of Brazilian rosewood? You guessed it: it's soared. Indian rosewood back/sides sets of very high quality, by contrast, sell for about 7% of the price of Brazilian of comparable quality.

It appears that the CITES laws are not as structured as they appear. You can still export finished products made from braz. rosewood. How are they getting this wood? from illegal logging is my only guess.

depends on the stock, many fine wood houses bought up tons of pre 92 stock and they use it sparingly. it dosen't take a lot to make a fretboard.

I've played a used PRS solid brazillian neck it's nice but I'm not that appealed.

I loved it on acoustic guitars.

Want to move to brazil and start a rosewood farm?