Options

What type of Flanger should I get?

FlizankFlizank Posts: 59
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm thinking about getting a Flanger (or possibly an Analog Delay).

I want to explore the "Pink Floyd Sound"... I don't know what else to say. it won't be used durring soloing or anything, but just to make 'rhythm' sounds.

I'm hoping to spend less than $210.
PresiWAH of the Evenflow Fan Club
Don't need a hand, there's always arms attached.
Don't get behind I can't fall back.
Why must we trust all these rusted rails?
They don't want no change. We already have.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The MXR Flanger is the best I've ever used bar none.

However the best Flanger I know of is the Fox Rox Through Zero Flanger (TZF) but it's out of your price range.

The Boss BF-3 is ok. The old Ibanez flangers TS-9 style are around 95 bucks used check the used at http://www.musictoyz.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    The only good flanger is a dead flanger.

Ned Flangers is pretty nice.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod

I was saying BOO erns.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Oh... and Flangers Crystals are great for coffee on the go.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    track down a used BF-2 on ebay.
  • Options
    If a flanger is alone in the woods, and it makes a sound, and nobody is around to hear it, would you call it music?
  • Options
    If a flanger is alone in the woods, and it makes a sound, and nobody is around to hear it, would you call it music?

depends on if the sound man is high that night. :D

don't worry. i hate flange too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    depends on if the sound man is high that night. :D

don't worry. i hate flange too.

why do you detest the swooshing Jet Plane sound?

At least give Chorus some props.

Like the Fulltone ChoralFlange.

Ahem, "Nobody's Fault but Mine"
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79

At least give Chorus some props.

if i could find a chorus i liked, maybe.
  • Options
    if i could find a chorus i liked, maybe.

clone chorus?

What are you looking for in a chorus?
  • Options
    clone chorus?

too much for a clone of a readily available sound. i'd mod a reissue EH small clone for depth control and save $130.

i'm thinking of tracking down a CE-2 someday.
  • Options

I'll pretend I never read that. Oh and his last name is Flanders, slick.
    Ha ha I've a custy
  • Options

Totally.
    Ha ha I've a custy
  • Options
    too much for a clone of a readily available sound. i'd mod a reissue EH small clone for depth control and save $130.

i'm thinking of tracking down a CE-2 someday.

so you want swampy underwater style chorus? what about a visual sound H20 or EH poly chorus?
  • Options
    so you want swampy underwater style chorus? what about a visual sound H20 or EH poly chorus?

too big. and too big.

right now, i just use the chorus in my pod. i'll only need a chorus if i start playing live with an actual amp again.
  • Options
    too big. and too big.

right now, i just use the chorus in my pod. i'll only need a chorus if i start playing live with an actual amp again.

yeah I forgot about he pod I'd just use it anyway.

I bought some AKG K-66 headphones and Ted Weber wrote me back this morning so I'm ordering the Mini Mass 15 today he thinks it's the one to get as I rarely completely dime my amp. So I'll be back to recording this week.
  • Options
    good good. it'll be fun being able to turn that thing up a bit.
  • Options
    good good. it'll be fun being able to turn that thing up a bit.

I can't tell you how good it sounds at about medium volume with new strings. Everytime I get tired of my Les Paul I realize I need to change the strings.
  • Options
    i still say you shouldn't sell that guitar.
  • Options
    i still say you shouldn't sell that guitar.

The ebony is to nice to sell. I'm thinking of just getting a new paint job or maybe upgrading the pups for fun. It's not that heavy and it's built better than any of the new Studios. It'll have to stick around anyway because the new Strat is coming in April.
  • Options
    just do the pups/electronics.

it's red right?
  • Options
    just do the pups/electronics.

it's red right?

wine red, but you know it's boring. Kind of plain but I guess beautiful in it's own right. It'd be cool to get some kind of coil tapping I guess. I need to swap the bridge for the proper one and change out the really worn bristly saddles. I'll probably do that first. It's about 40 bucks for graphite saddles.

What do you think about maybe cream and black hums?
  • Options
    it's wine red. paint it and i'll kick your ass.

zebra's would look good in there i think.
  • Options
    it's wine red. paint it and i'll kick your ass.

zebra's would look good in there i think.

yeah, I think I'll call old seymour soon. You like those vintage stacks for strat right? If I decide the hum is a problem with my new strat I may go with them over the Fralins, I heard a Suhr strat the other day with his V60's and it was amazing.

I really like the way your's came out with the black Pickguard. It looks classy.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    The MXR Flanger is the best I've ever used bar none.

Ditto.
  • Options
    i like the stacks. i still don't play my strat much just b/c it's not my favourite guitar but it is much improved.

i think a lil 59 or a jb in the bridge with the classic stacks in the middle/neck would be better though. i've just got a classic stack in the bridge too and it's still too bright for me.
  • Options
    i like the stacks. i still don't play my strat much just b/c it's not my favourite guitar but it is much improved.

i think a lil 59 or a jb in the bridge with the classic stacks in the middle/neck would be better though. i've just got a classic stack in the bridge too and it's still too bright for me.

True, what do you think about higher value pots on tone and volume. I've read putting a resistor on the volume pot lets you retain your high end while turning down.

As far as the brightness use the keeley comp when you play the lead PU squash it. It's perfect.
  • Options
    you put a cap across terminals of the volume pot. or a cap and a resistor. it's called a treble bleed and sd's site has a schematic for it.

i had it on my fenders but took it off when i did the pickup swaps.

i don't play with the volume control much so it's pretty moot for me.

and i've heard of people putting 1meg pots into pauls to open them right up. may be worth a try if you're in there anyway.
  • Options
    you put a cap across terminals of the volume pot. or a cap and a resistor. it's called a treble bleed and sd's site has a schematic for it.

i had it on my fenders but took it off when i did the pickup swaps.

i don't play with the volume control much so it's pretty moot for me.

and i've heard of people putting 1meg pots into pauls to open them right up. may be worth a try if you're in there anyway.

well the captain coconuts is right around the corner so fuzz clean up is what I was thinking. I'm still wanting to build a vox wah but I still don't know what exact parts I need. I looked at small bear and couldn't find anything.

by the way http://www.webervst.com has switches and pots pretty cheap 6 bucks for fulltone style if you need any.
  • Options
    well the captain coconuts is right around the corner so fuzz clean up is what I was thinking. I'm still wanting to build a vox wah but I still don't know what exact parts I need. I looked at small bear and couldn't find anything.

a vox wah from scratch?

here's an 847.
    http://www1.korksoft.com/~schem/veffects/voxwah90.pdf

and here's a bunch more.
    http://www1.korksoft.com/~schem/effectsheaven.htm