playing a b chord

a_gherkina_gherkin Posts: 77
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
i have been playin guitar for over 8 months now and am getting quite competent, at the basics at least. i find barre chrods no problem and am switching fluently between all the major chords. well, all except one, the b chord.
how the hell do you play one of these suckers, i have never, to my recollection, successfully played a b chord, i just opt for a barre chord intead usually, any help would be great

Cheers
Gherk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    assuming standard tuning, there is no open B chord. they're all barres.

x

or

etc
    etc
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    I play it like an A chord, except you have a bar across the 2nd fret. Kinda have to stretch your fingers, but i hate double barring
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • this is a nice B i think....

standard tuning...

x2x033

-d
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Originally posted by low_light
    this is a nice B i think....

standard tuning...

x2x033

-d

Sorry, actually it's an even nicer G with B in the bass
    : )

You can finger a B like this x2444x or xx4442 or any triad that gets you a B D# F#.

It's not always necessary to play all 6 strings to strum a chord. It can be cleaner sounding to play fewer strings sometimes.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

x

whatever that is.
  • That's a left handed thing I hope!

B with an added 4th officially.

Old Frank Zappa style chord,
    Coldplay for you younger folk!

Be kind, man

E 0
    B 0
    G 8
    D 9
    A 9
    E 7

Here is some stripped down theory. If it gets confusing, stop and start reading over again. eventually you'll get it. (it sounds weird but it works). have your guitar handy for reference.:

like all major and minor chords, a B Chord is only 3 notes B (root), D# (major 3rd), and F#. to make it minor, make your major 3rd a minor 3rd by moving it back one fret (B, D natural, and F#) The numbers (3rd, 5th) refer to what note number it is in the B Scale. A Bmajor scale goes: 1B 2C# 3D# 4E 5F# 6G# 7A# 8(octave)B. if you continue higher playing the same notes, you get 9C# 10D# 11E 12F# 13G# 14A# 15(second octave)B. note that a 9 is the same as a 2, just an octave higher, and so on for all notes. So any place on the guitar that you can hit all of those notes will make a chord. thats why your seeing so many variances between peoples relpys.

A chord is any 2 or more notes played simoultaniously. A power chord is just the root (B) the fifth (F#) and the Octave (next higher B). Using what I've just written, if you wanted to play a B9 chord, you need at least the root, 5th and 9th. So a B9 Chord is B F# B C#. You could fill it out more by putting in the 3rd, which would make it B D# F# B C#. If you understand this, know where all the notes are on the guitar, and know how to make a major scale, then you should be able to figure out any chord. So if you want to get nuts, a BM7b13 (B Major7, Flat 13) would be a whole B major chord, with a Major7 note and a flat 13 note. Flat means drop that note back one fret from where it would normally be in the scale. SO, B, D#, F#, A# and Gnatural.

a B major scale:

E
    B
    G
    D
    A----2---4
    E
    B C# D# E F# G# A# B

a B minor scale is only different in that the 3rd and seventh are lowered by one note (D#->D and A#->A)

E
    B
    G
    D
    A----2----4----5
    E
    B C# D E F# G A B

remember, a major chord is Root, Maj3, Maj5, Octave (B,D#,F#, B)
    a minor chord is Root, min3, maj5, octave. (B, D, F#, B)
    and a power chord is root, maj5, octave. (B, F#, B)

note: think of your F chord. when you play your F chord at the 3rd fret its a G chord. The scales work the same way. Whatever the starting note is for the scale is the key its in.
    so if you move the Bmajor scale up one fret, you have a Cmajor scale:

E
    B
    G
    D
    A----3---5
    E
    C D E F G A B C

move it up again one fret and its a C# major scale, ect, etc. That should keep you for a while. write me when you want more.
    "If god really made us in his image, that means god is dumb all over and a little ugly on the side" -FZ
  • Nice one Frank Zappa
    I was just sitting here for a half hour writing up a bit of a lesson, and you got this up while I was writing.

Yours is better than mine!

You get to collect the fee for that one!
    Be kind, man

You will have to learn C#m7 6/flat 9th in the open g# tuning.

But for now, you owe Frank Zappa 10 bucks american

And me 10 bucks american for the open tuning website chord generator. ( Or a small quantity of some of the beers the monks make over there!)

Good luck man!
    Be kind, man

Meanwhile, you and Zappa come to my place, we'll crack a few Leffe's.
  • I'm there! I'll pick up Zappa on the way.
    We go right at New York, make a left at France, Cross the border, your house is on the left?
    Be kind, man

We'll be listening for a "B" scale on the street. We'll know it's you.
    Be kind, man

You will have to learn C#m7 6/flat 9th in the open g# tuning.

easy, break it down.
    first, tune your guitar:

Standard Tuning -> Open G# tuning
    E down->D#
    B up to->B#
    G up to->G#
    D up to->D#
    A down->G#
    E down->D#

you could also go to G tuning (DGDGBD), and capo at the first fret.
    now what is your chord? C#m7 6/b9. Break it up. You need a C#m7 chord, a 6th note, and a flat 9 note. so you need to know what the notes are in the C# scale are (1C#2D#3E#4F#5G#6A#7B#). Now for the C#m7, you'll need the root, minor 3rd, fifth, and seventh. Thats C#, E, G# and B since its a MINOR 7. (if it was major 7, then you would use B#).
    ok, now you only need 2 more notes, the 6th (A#) and the flat 9, which as I said yesterday is the same as the flat 2, so D.

So your chord goes, low to high, C#, E, G#, A#, B, D. before you even play it I can tell it will sound dissident because the 6 and b7 are only one note apart (like holding down fret 4 on the b string and playing both the b and high e).

Now that you know how to make the chord, all you need to do is figure out where to play it on the fret board in the open tuning.

D#--11----
    B#--11----
    G#--0----
    D#--6----
    G#--8----
    D#-10

this is your chord, but I dont think its possible to play. you could arpegio it, or play it with someone, but thats your best bet.

What I suggest it to chang your tuning to an open G and cap everything at the first fret EXCEPT your 2 highest strings. this is possible with the clip on cappos.

looks like this:
    open G cappo at one with 2 high strings open:
    D->D
    B->B
    G->G#
    D->D#
    G->G#
    D->D#

now your tuning is this, with your chord (actual fret #s)
    D --0----
    B --0----
    G#--3----
    D#--2----
    G#--7----
    D#--6----

its still a pretty hard chord to play, but its not impossible now.
    "If god really made us in his image, that means god is dumb all over and a little ugly on the side" -FZ
  • :eek:

Jeez... but I think I'm getting the idea by now. This is much more fun way of learning then reading books. I like interaction :D

All I need now is more friggin' time... I work to hard, but I've given myself a break from december 18 till 29th. I know what to do!
  • i'm re-ochestrating hail hail for classical guitar finger picking. If your still following all this, then I'll post it when I finish.

will my amp work in england? i though it was a different electric current. We should bring the acoustics just in case. and if we're going all the way to england, we're swinging northwest and hitting the guiness factory...
  • Originally posted by frankzappa
    easy, break it down.
    first, tune your guitar:

Standard Tuning -> Open G# tuning
    E down->D#
    B up to->B#
    G up to->G#
    D up to->D#
    A down->G#
    E down->D#

its still a pretty hard chord to play, but its not impossible now.

Actually, that was a joke. : )
    But that is a good way to play it if the situation arises!
    That situation would only arise if we were drinking a lot of beer over at Pearlwax's house, teaching him jazz!
    Poor pearlwax.
    poor Gherkin,,, just wanted a B chord!

1. You'all would do well by learning the notes on the neck of the guitar. It's no fun, but like 10 minutes before you practice, start at the low E and work your way up the neck on all strings. It's painfully slow at first, but if you do that ,,,, ok 5 minutes a day, you will be surprised when you start to know where the notes are.
    That will put you at a bit of an advantage when you start to figure out chords.

Here is a fretboard chart for guitar in standard tuning:

http://acheron.servehttp.com:8080/garrett/Documents/Neck%20Diagram.pdf

2. The other thing is to learn the triads first:

Ok a triad is the basic major chord.

A Db E
    Bb D F
    B Eb Gb
    C E G
    Db F A
    D Gb A
    Eb G B
    E Ab B
    F A C
    Gb Bb Db
    G B D
    Ab C Eb

Those are the Major triads for you. That's worth a case of Leffe's there! In print.

If you know the notes on the neck, and the major triads, you will find all different types of ways that a chord can be played.

3. Learn the "Cmajor" scale : C D E F G A B C , No sharps or flats. The easiest one to start with.

C E G is a C chord ( 1, 3, 5 ) is a formula, like Zappa so well put it. ( note there is 1 through 7 in the c scale

C Eb G is a Cm (c minor) ( 1, 3b, 5 ) Formula for a minor chord

When you know that stuff, then you can apply that to any chord,,,,then you can start to do 7ths and minor 7ths and on and on

So between this, and Frank Zappa's theory above, you'all should be busy for a while. It seems boring to learn. But if you do it in increments, and play fun things too, you WILL assimilate this and it will be like riding a bike. You'll always know it.
    Be kind, man
    will my amp work in england? i though it was a different electric current. We should bring the acoustics just in case. and if we're going all the way to england, we're swinging northwest and hitting the guiness factory...

Belgium, my Zappanian friend, Belgium... where the beer flows much mildlier than on the other side of the Canal.

:D
  • Originally posted by frankzappa
    i'm re-ochestrating hail hail for classical guitar finger picking. If your still following all this, then I'll post it when I finish.

Hi Frank Zappa,,, I think we're going to Belgium
    Our amps will blow up over there!
    Pearlwax is going to get a few for us to use!

Right Pearlwax?
    Be kind, man

That's why Marshalls are nice amps. Variable voltage, and a universal plug.

Radio Shack should sell power converters for international travel.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    assuming standard tuning, there is no open B chord. they're all barres.

x

or

etc
    etc

Man, you even tabulate left-handed... you are one sick sadistic mofo, man....
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod

Man, you even tabulate left-handed... you are one sick sadistic mofo, man....

OMG even I recognized it left-handed. That was great.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod

Shhh! Don't makke it sound too easy to pearlwax

I'm hoping on snagging a couple of amps from him!
    I don't have roadies anymore to lug that stuff around!

Ever try to take a marshall amp on an overseas flight lately? Guaranteed not to work,,,, If,,, it gets there!

I just want to show up with a guitar and have a couple of Leffes and a couple of laughs!
    Be kind, man

ATA Flight Case inside a plywood box. Take the tubes out of the amp and wrap them in newspaper or bubblewrap. Pixie dust helps.

You're almost better off just renting an amp for the duration...

OR just get a solid-state amp. A Peavey is a great candidate.

Insurance is always a good idea, too.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    ATA Flight Case inside a plywood box. Take the tubes out of the amp and wrap them in newspaper or bubblewrap. Pixie dust helps.

I've got flight cases for all those amps. That protects them when they are flying to the wrong city! That's the problem nowadays. Plus opening the plywood box/ata case combo for security is an amazing hassle.
    They used a mirror and a sniffing dog to look inside my Taylor a couple of weeks ago in Frankfurt. It's like " please don't scratch, please don't scratch!"

Nahhh,,, I'm still for Pearlwax having a couple of amps sitting next to a case of cool Leffes, waiting our arrival.
    Be kind, man

or just get a hiwatt. That's what Pete Townsend did.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    how the hell am i tabbing left-handed? the bass string's on top. it always is.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    or just get a hiwatt. That's what Pete Townsend did.

And a roadie to lift it!

Besides, It'll still end up in New Zealand while we would be waiting for it on the beach in Tahiti!
    Be kind, man

Besides, It'll still end up in New Zealand while we would be waiting for it on the beach in Tahiti!

This is true. but it'd give us a good reason for a raft trip huh?

I'll bring the coconut liquor.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.