The boys gear up date?

All Those YesterdaysAll Those Yesterdays Posts: 2,723
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
To much talk on the board about the setlist. Do we have a guy from M&G who is going to give us the live gear set up, updates?
E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'll be at the Camden shows and will do what I can do. With my 315xxx 10c number I won't be too helpful unless I get one of the lottery seats.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • From some pictures from last night shows that were posted. Stones 1974x is gone and there is a Savage combo in it's place.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    I would love to get a pic of Mike's pedal board. (Close enough to see settings) Maybe someone will get lucky and a roady will take a good pic for them.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    From some pictures from last night shows that were posted. Stones 1974x is gone and there is a Savage combo in it's place.

That was his best live sound ever, I'm very happy to see the Blitz 50 back in action. I was on his side in Birmingham several years ago pretty much on the level with the amp about 10 rows back... I've never heard him sound better. Maybe not that particular show, but that amp specifically. He sounds perfect through it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    i'll be at both camdens, dc, both msg, and hartford.

hopefully i can get some good pedalboard shots and amp and rack specs!
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    That was his best live sound ever, I'm very happy to see the Blitz 50 back in action. I was on his side in Birmingham several years ago pretty much on the level with the amp about 10 rows back... I've never heard him sound better. Maybe not that particular show, but that amp specifically. He sounds perfect through it.

It's a killer amp for sure. EL34's sound killer.

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It's a killer amp for sure. EL34's sound killer.

For what he likes... I just think it's a perfect match, far less compressed than the Early 90's sound and it fattens up the "charlie brown" fiesta red strat perfectly for that solo in DTE. Not sure what he's using in studio probably a blend of a lot of stuff but live... The Blitz 50 could just be renamed Stone's Amp.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    i'll be at both camdens, dc, both msg, and hartford.

If you can get those, you are my hero!!
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    For what he likes... I just think it's a perfect match, far less compressed than the Early 90's sound and it fattens up the "charlie brown" fiesta red strat perfectly for that solo in DTE. Not sure what he's using in studio probably a blend of a lot of stuff but live... The Blitz 50 could just be renamed Stone's Amp.

Totally agree with you. Man i wish we could get a spread sheet for any of the other albums. The one for Riot Act was interesting.

• i'll be at both camdens, dc, both msg, and hartford.

That would be very cool

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Totally agree with you. Man i wish we could get a spread sheet for any of the other albums. The one for Riot Act was interesting.
    I agree
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    We would all really appreciate it if you could get some pics of some gear. That would be awesome!
  • Excuse my ignorance, but has that warn out tele of Ed's from the Bonnoroo pictures been around before? I haven't seen them since '06.

• StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    well i saw mike playing a new Les Paul on the Fuse TV Bonnaroo show
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Excuse my ignorance, but has that warn out tele of Ed's from the Bonnoroo pictures been around before? I haven't seen them since '06.

I was going to mention that Tele. He played 3 teles that night. The worn butterscotch one (which i think is new), the red one (that he used in IIC to reflect the light on the crowd), and the sparkly one with the p-90.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • I was going to mention that Tele. He played 3 teles that night. The worn butterscotch one (which i think is new), the red one (that he used in IIC to reflect the light on the crowd), and the sparkly one with the p-90.

Thought it was new, just wasn't sure. I figured someone would say something sooner or later.

• E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

Yeah, I noticed that when I watched a Bonnaroo vid. He took the grill off and the tolex (My buddy did that a while ago) on his cabs. Also, cab positioning is different.
  • Yeah, I noticed that when I watched a Bonnaroo vid. He took the grill off and the tolex (My buddy did that a while ago) on his cabs. Also, cab positioning is different.

The riot act spread sheet had a fender bass amp used on a couple songs. Now one appears in the live rig.

• Just got back from the Camden shows. For night two I won the lottery (but was further to the right side so I couldn't see any boards). It appears Mike's amp setup is the same as the last tour. From what I can recall, Mike didn't bust out any new guitars. Stone had a few new guitars, including an interesting acoustic/electric which he used on Nothing As It Seems (it's possible he's used it before since that was the first time I'd seen that song live).

Main point...Stone's tone through the Savage is unreal. FINALLY Stone's tone has been beefed up. Stone used Strats for 90% of the set and it sounded phenomenal. I wish Mike would take notice as his Strat tone is pretty thin, which isn't a big deal on a lot of songs but I get the feeling that there are some moments when he needs his tone to get raunchier (like when he plays the star spangled banner and it's WAY too clean).
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
    Just got back from the Camden shows. For night two I won the lottery (but was further to the right side so I couldn't see any boards). It appears Mike's amp setup is the same as the last tour. From what I can recall, Mike didn't bust out any new guitars. Stone had a few new guitars, including an interesting acoustic/electric which he used on Nothing As It Seems (it's possible he's used it before since that was the first time I'd seen that song live).

Main point...Stone's tone through the Savage is unreal. FINALLY Stone's tone has been beefed up. Stone used Strats for 90% of the set and it sounded phenomenal. I wish Mike would take notice as his Strat tone is pretty thin, which isn't a big deal on a lot of songs but I get the feeling that there are some moments when he needs his tone to get raunchier (like when he plays the star spangled banner and it's WAY too clean).
    I AGREE! I loved his 2003 tone!
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Yeah, I noticed that when I watched a Bonnaroo vid. He took the grill off and the tolex (My buddy did that a while ago) on his cabs. Also, cab positioning is different.
    yes, I saw Jeff's amps.. it's HUGE.. I hadn't realised that on previous tours (I was Stone's side at most of the shows I attended. Now taht he removed the grill, you can see how big is his amp. What does he have ? 12 or 16 12 inches cabs ?
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Julien wrote:
    yes, I saw Jeff's amps.. it's HUGE.. I hadn't realised that on previous tours (I was Stone's side at most of the shows I attended. Now taht he removed the grill, you can see how big is his amp. What does he have ? 12 or 16 12 inches cabs ?

Jeff has been using the 6x10 SWR cabs for years now. It just appears from the website pictures that he is playing thru the 70's fender showman in lieu of the SVT. Suprising indeed. Anybody going to any of the shows left if they could verify this, that would be fantastic.

• opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    Mike had a black Les Paul without a pickguard that I don't recall ever seeing before, but I could be wrong.

edit: Nevermind, I think thats an old one I'd just never seen before.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Mike had a black Les Paul without a pickguard that I don't recall ever seeing before, but I could be wrong.

edit: Nevermind, I think thats an old one I'd just never seen before.
    Yeah, that's the Custom he's used on Given To Fly for the last couple tours.

• opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    He used it a lot though, not just on Given To Fly, but on Brian of J, and a few others that are escaping me right now.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Jeff has been using the 6x10 SWR cabs for years now. It just appears from the website pictures that he is playing thru the 70's fender showman in lieu of the SVT. Suprising indeed. Anybody going to any of the shows left if they could verify this, that would be fantastic.

Jeff switched from SWR cabs to Ampeg SVT cabs in 2005 following a fallout with SWR over their sponsorship. Those bright orange cabs are his Ampeg 6x10 cabs from that tour, minus the grills.

I would imagine that Jeff still has a couple SVT amps in his rig, just behind the amps in their own roadcase. This is done a lot, because having a good tube amp with a lot of tubes (especially power tubes, like the SVT) sitting on top of a big vibrating, rattling bass cab stack is a BAAAAAD idea.

I also noticed that he's still rocking the Ashdown head, which he's been using for his stand-up bass for a few years now. The Fender is new, at least for his live rig. I'd love to figure out what that is... Showman? Maybe... could also be a later-era Bassman head. Definitely not a Dual Showman.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Jeff switched from SWR cabs to Ampeg SVT cabs in 2005 following a fallout with SWR over their sponsorship. Those bright orange cabs are his Ampeg 6x10 cabs from that tour, minus the grills.

I would imagine that Jeff still has a couple SVT amps in his rig, just behind the amps in their own roadcase. This is done a lot, because having a good tube amp with a lot of tubes (especially power tubes, like the SVT) sitting on top of a big vibrating, rattling bass cab stack is a BAAAAAD idea.

I also noticed that he's still rocking the Ashdown head, which he's been using for his stand-up bass for a few years now. The Fender is new, at least for his live rig. I'd love to figure out what that is... Showman? Maybe... could also be a later-era Bassman head. Definitely not a Dual Showman.

Ampeg 6x10, the freaking handle should of gave it away. The 6x10's are great sounding, and it's awesome to stand in front of one. That punch in the chest is just killer. I believe it's just a showman head. The notes from the Riot Act recording spread sheet stating he used a showman a couple times. I agree with the tubes taking a beating from the vibrations. I've personally never had problems on the bass side of things with this, more on the combo guitar amp side of things, especially 6V6's.

No matter what you can't go wrong playing through a SVT, but it's extremely nice to see something else up there for sure. Hopefully we can get some more updates in the upcoming shows.

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I've seen on many pics of this tour that jeff's palying a precision...
    I don't remember seeing it in 06 and 07 tours... unless Im'm just blind...
    Jeff more often play jazz basses...
    here's a pic of the precision
    http://albums.photoshow.net:80/Picture?img=16&id=1533415-vuhuxyjk
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    stone was on fire last night. his tone this tour is unreal. ed seemed pissed off all night about something and few times i saw him glaring at his tech and trying to get his attention. i wonder how one gets a job as a tech with pj. damn that would be a cool job ;)