new/ newish gadgets to the guitar scene+ ramblings.

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok so some of these aren't really new. I was just researching the Berlin Wall last night because I'm a history nerd and I believe this month in 1989 was when it started coming down. (for whatever reason my mind drifts instantly to U2 and delays) I remembered there were a few effects I wanted to check out. How great is our internet where we can have an easy online encyclopedia and also instant demo access to music gear from people all over the world.

Anyway in the last week I've really been playing with my old effects after listening to Ian say time and time again... DON'T SELL ANYTHING!. So I pull out my old Hashbrowns flanger and start messing around with my DL4 and the lower realm of my Octron... holy Roger Waters Batman... that was fun.

Then I realize the predominant use of my DL4 for me outside of the fun swells and reverse etc are really the modulated analog delay and digital delay stuff. So I start looking up the DD7 that I've been pretty interested in for a while. The DD7 has to be the best version of that line ever. It's got tons of flexibility. I think I'm going to go try one for myself saturday.

Then I remember. hey the SL20 Slicer was something I wanted to hear. Seems a little like the Gigfx Chopper or Pro Chop but If you wanted a You Are effect I think it'd be pretty simple to get it from the Slicer which looks like loads of fun especially if you had a small synth keyboard or some midi drum effects etc.

I also wonder if you guys knew that there is a new guitar specific Leslie cabinet coming out. Horn and rotors with some good guitar specific features like pedal speed control and front stop so you can use it in a more traditional sense with the rotors stopped.

http://hammondorganco.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=96

If I get a chance I'm going to try and put the EHX HOG through it's paces, I've been really interested in filters and synths lately. BTW Guyatone has some new versions of thier mini effects out that seem extrodinarily overpriced but more gig friendly, the MD3 is a pretty damn cool delay and the wah rocker is an interesting little envelope filter.

Anyway, what a world we live in. I hope you guys are finding interesting groundbreaking stuff to do with your guitars.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Could you send a link to the slicer?

Also, do you think any of the PJ guys will try any of this stuff (Leslie cab/Mike)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Could you send a link to the slicer?

Also, do you think any of the PJ guys will try any of this stuff (Leslie cab/Mike)

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=959

Not sure about PJ. They could have stuff now if they really wanted, but possibly now that it's on the market, I guess it depends on the sound really It's not like they don't have the roadies to move them and Boom already has a couple on stage. As much as mike uses leslie type stuff though. why the heck not Mike? I'm a little suprised Ed dosen't use more tremolo more too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I'm playing a lot with guitar rig 2 (3 won't work with my version of protools) and it's very cool for post processing. Too much latency for realtime unfortunately. I made some pretty cool effects during mixing and had success adding "air" to direct recorded acoustic with it.

I tried a pod x3 and it sounded great but it has no onscreen (computer) edit program and it's overwhelming trying to use the screen on the unit. The biamping is amazing but trying to create tones within the unit itself is paralyzing. So I took it back and stuck with xt. I'll try again once they have a graphical editor.

Despite all my amps I still prefer recording with a pod. I guess if I had better mics, soundproofing etc it would be different.

The slicer reminds me of the andrenalinn. Same concept I suppose.
    exhausted wrote:
    I'm playing a lot with guitar rig 2 (3 won't work with my version of protools) and it's very cool for post processing. Too much latency for realtime unfortunately. I made some pretty cool effects during mixing and had success adding "air" to direct recorded acoustic with it.

I tried a pod x3 and it sounded great but it has no onscreen (computer) edit program and it's overwhelming trying to use the screen on the unit. The biamping is amazing but trying to create tones within the unit itself is paralyzing. So I took it back and stuck with xt. I'll try again once they have a graphical editor.

Despite all my amps I still prefer recording with a pod. I guess if I had better mics, soundproofing etc it would be different.

Yeah I believe the Slicer is fairly similar though the adrenalinn might have a few more features.

I wonder if the Pod Pro has an OSD? If I end up building a recording desk I'd like to have something like that built in. My recording buddy had a presonus mic pre MP20 maybe that was pretty nice, it would be cool to have that or something nice warm and tubey to put after a digital rig like that.

This is it, nice little channel strip. We recorded my Orange with his new Karma Ribbon. http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=30 The mix bus makes it really nice.

I figured out if I incorporate and can show a profit I think once in 3 years, I can write off some business purchases. So once I have bought a house with the wife I could build a studio room and buy a couple of nice mics for a small studio rig. If things work out with the radio station I could use it to cut stuff up at home.

Oh and that little Alesis mixer i bought gets REALLY freaking hot on the bottom. It's almost unsettling. The Zoom recorder though is absolutely tremendous, even on the low quality settings it does a good job.
    none of the x3 line have onscreen yet. All the xt and 2.0 stuff does. Probably just a matter of time.
    oh and I must have missed what you're doing with radio. I've fallen behind. Fill me in.
    exhausted wrote:
    none of the x3 line have onscreen yet. All the xt and 2.0 stuff does. Probably just a matter of time.

that's wierd. I wonder why they used monochromatic on the X3 too. It's kind of ugly WHy not just go color? I much prefer the XT display to the X3.
    exhausted wrote:
    oh and I must have missed what you're doing with radio. I've fallen behind. Fill me in.

Oh it's what I've been pursuing for the last several years. I'm doing sports talk radio at the moment, and we've been covering high school football so I needed a road recording rig to do that stuff and a simple hand held for interviews and stuff like that with enough space to record the games as well. Then I can either go cut everything up at the station early as balls, or try and do it at home. So far I haven't got the Cubase stuff working quite right yet (my soundcards are a little screwey) and it seems to want to make everything go stereo when I'd prefer to work everything in mono. I'm also not quite used to the features since I'm used to cool edit/Adobe Audition.

If I had a website I suppose I could produce some podcasts and things quite easily if I ever got the home rig built. It'd be nice to have a desk big enough for 3 mics with the radio style springed mic hangers. I think I could do music with that rig too and just put a nice midi keyboard on the desk and even use that for hot keys.
    i haven't tried cubase at all since, other than my mbox, i only have a run of the mill PC soundcard anyway so unfortunately i have no tips.

all in all sounds like fun though. hope it keeps going in the direction you want it to.
    exhausted wrote:
    i haven't tried cubase at all since, other than my mbox, i only have a run of the mill PC soundcard anyway so unfortunately i have no tips.

all in all sounds like fun though. hope it keeps going in the direction you want it to.

Thanks. I might as well just buy pro tools an mbox or something and work in the same realm as everyone else. I guess I just like Adobe because it's so familiar.

The digidesign stuff is hardware though right? Isn't the Mbox basically it's own soundcard?
    yeah, the mbox is the soundcard.

the m-audio version is another option if you don't want to tie yourself solely to protools.
  • Thanks for posting...now I'm gonna be blowing more money on pedals...haha
  • That rotating speaker would look great in the studio.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I want that Leslie thing, holy shit.

I think my next purchase is the Korg Pitchblack though, I need a tuner on my board!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I want that Leslie thing, holy shit.

I think my next purchase is the Korg Pitchblack though, I need a tuner on my board!

http://www.turbo-tuner.com/

I've been shoping the pitch black and the ones from these guys.

We used to use peterson strobes back in my trombone playing days but I don't think I can spend that kind of cash for a tuner.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.turbo-tuner.com/

I've been shoping the pitch black and the ones from these guys.

We used to use peterson strobes back in my trombone playing days but I don't think I can spend that kind of cash for a tuner.
    I just bought the Pitchblack, it was $80 CDN, and so far, I really like it! I AM having real estate issues on the board, so I gotta decide what's gotta go! I'd love a more compact 2 button footswitch for my Traynor!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I just bought the Pitchblack, it was $80 CDN, and so far, I really like it! I AM having real estate issues on the board, so I gotta decide what's gotta go! I'd love a more compact 2 button footswitch for my Traynor!
    This just cracked me up .... Real estate issues :D
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:
    This just cracked me up .... Real estate issues :D
    I'll post a pic soon, it's getting a little crowded!

Of course, I'm NO match for xtreme!!!

I only joke.
  • I'll post a pic soon, it's getting a little crowded!

Of course, I'm NO match for xtreme!!!

I only joke.
    And the sad part is...I might be adding a pedal back to my board :(

I'm glad you remembered me, though!
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    I want that Leslie thing, holy shit.

Man i nearly bought a pitchblack last month. but i was reading the Harmony Central reviews and it talked about a click when you turn it on and off. I tested it out in the shop and sure enough there was an audiable click when you bypass it. Ended up buying the TU2 even though it was £20 more expensive.
  • savman wrote:
    Man i nearly bought a pitchblack last month. but i was reading the Harmony Central reviews and it talked about a click when you turn it on and off. I tested it out in the shop and sure enough there was an audiable click when you bypass it. Ended up buying the TU2 even though it was £20 more expensive.
    I haven't noticed any click with it on my board:s
    pedals are weird that way. i have some that clicked in certain configurations and didn't in others. so many variables.
  • exhausted wrote:
    pedals are weird that way. i have some that clicked in certain configurations and didn't in others. so many variables.
    Well my config is:

Dynacomp>Wah (I know, bad order, but it's the way it fit)>Pitchblack>TS-9>BD-2>CE-5>DD-6>Rotovibe
    the click is usually when they turn on. If you do it once, generally it goes away after the initial push.
    http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2008/MXR-76-Vintage-Dyna-Comp-Pedal.html

OK, I'm pretty much sold on this already. This reissue has been a LONG time coming.
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    I haven't noticed any click with it on my board:s

Thats good. Last thing you ned is a click happening if your playing live. I only tested it from guitar to amp with no other effects. As exhausted mentioned the other pedals must somehow negate the click.

Otherwise they are damn good pedals. The led display is quite bright and its a compact and cheaper unit that the TU2.
    peace, ben
    exhausted wrote:

ok, i'm an idiot. the X3 does have a PC editor. it's just not line6 edit. it's gearbox. they need to make that clearer.)

so i traded in my xt and my AC15 (never bonded with it) and got an X3 live. can't wait to play with pod farm too (guitar rig-ish plug-in).
  • exhausted wrote:
    ok, i'm an idiot. the X3 does have a PC editor. it's just not line6 edit. it's gearbox. they need to make that clearer.)

so i traded in my xt and my AC15 (never bonded with it) and got an X3 live. can't wait to play with pod farm too (guitar rig-ish plug-in).

Why not get the M13? I figured you'd be the target user for one of those.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Why not get the M13? I figured you'd be the target user for one of those.

i would have but i still need the amp models for recording. i don't think the M13 comes with the pod farm license etc.

i very rarely if ever record with live amps because of the kids etc.

the M13 looks very cool though. lots of pros already have them racked up.
  • If I'd known the M13 (or X3 Live, for that matter) was coming down the pipes, I probably wouldn't have gotten my XT Live. The X3 fixes a couple of key problems I have with the XT, and has more stuff in it to boot. The M13, on the other hand, I would probably use a lot more.

I hear you on the "silent recording" side of things, though... I've got about two more weeks to make noise before we have a little noisemaker of our own. Time to brush up on acoustic... maybe start a Dashboard Confessional cover set. I don't know what I'm going to do with my drums...

I really want to try out an M13, just for the record.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.