This is why I buy BJF

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=128997

Scroll down, read BJ's take on things.

Yeah, they are a little more expensive but wow is there a lot of knowledge and care there, it's awe inspiring. No I can't buy a ferrari, but I can own the ferrari of pedals.
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=128997

Scroll down, read BJ's take on things.

Yeah, they are a little more expensive but wow is there a lot of knowledge and care there, it's awe inspiring. No I can't buy a ferrari, but I can own the ferrari of pedals.

My PPF should arrive any day... the HB soon after. It should be fun.

My new tubes for the Savage arrived yesterday... blackplate 6v6 GT RCAs, a Mullard recto, and assorted preamp tubes. I also got some big bottle 6v6 Marconis to try out.
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nice, let me know how those work out for you. If and when I do sell the gibby, which I eventually will and the Line 6 and DD.

I'm choosing between the HB and BBOD and I'm kind of torn between a PPF and a DAM Drag n Fly.

I still have those old, Hammond Tubes as well, but I don't really have a good method to pack them. They are RCA's. I hope good things for the marconis.

What speaker is in the wee Savage?

It's hard for me to spend big bucks on Recto tubes. I know it effects the overall sound of the amp, but for some reason it just dosen't seem like voltage conversion has that much effect on the sound from tube to tube I think. I dunno. Obviously I like the tube sag and bounce I just don't know how much it varies from a mullard to say a JJ.

Big bottle tubes are cool. This is good for you. I think you might end up at some point with a Ghia and 2x10"s along with the Savage. Big Bottle 6V6's and Chimey Brit EL84's both in small amps, with no more than 3 knobs.

That, and I see a Clark Beaufort in your future :D BUT NOT THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you buy the Bj's from Dean?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Guys you better get a BBOD now, BJ is only making 24, make that 23 more. He has terminated a couple pedals for good. Since I now have them all I can tell you there isn't a bad one in the crop. I think BJ is going to be filling orders from NAMM alone until 2008 ;)

So let me know what you want ASAP!
    Saffron Yellows are all gone!
    LRT are all gone!
    BBOD almost all gone!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    JofZ wrote:
    Guys you better get a BBOD now, BJ is only making 24, make that 23 more. He has terminated a couple pedals for good. Since I now have them all I can tell you there isn't a bad one in the crop. I think BJ is going to be filling orders from NAMM alone until 2008 ;)

LRT are all gone!
    BBOD almost all gone!

What were the Saffran Yellows? I am waiting for the BJF Analog delay...

I am not going to get a BBOD... I dig my Maxon.
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    What speaker is in the wee Savage?

It's hard for me to spend big bucks on Recto tubes. I know it effects the overall sound of the amp, but for some reason it just dosen't seem like voltage conversion has that much effect on the sound from tube to tube I think. I dunno. Obviously I like the tube sag and bounce I just don't know how much it varies from a mullard to say a JJ.

Did you buy the Bj's from Dean?

Speaker: Celestion Heritage G12H30... I pulled it out of the TopHat before I traded it towards my new Martin. It sounds very big for a 112.

My rationale on the recto tube... it will last 10 times as long as the JJ. So, I won't have to mess with it or worry about it developing a rattle.

Yes, I ordered through Dean. I might be ordering a Mint Green soon. I haven't decided.
    There's No Code.
    JofZ wrote:

LRT are all gone!
    BBOD almost all gone!

I thought you told me earlier, that I should go HB over BBOD?

Damnit, I have to sell stuff first to have money.

Oh, and what about an Eternity vs HB vs BBOD comparison.

I want to get away from IC's unless it's an Eternity.
    OK here is the scoop. The delay is limited and will be on the back burner for a long time. BJ makes certain pedals on certain days and therefore he is limited by time and the moon cycle ( no I am not joking).

The HB is a small amp box, it will sweeten anything you put into it and therefore it is a mild overdirve. Many own it and it has become very popular because it stacks well with everrything and works with singlecoils and humbuckers. I use it more often then not.

BJ's colors his pedals to go along with tone. Blue is American, Green is British. Not all pedals will sound great with all rigs and for all types of music.

If you are in this for collectibility then you'll simply want the BBOD since it has been discountinued. It sounds great with Fenders and stacked with other BJ pedals for unique tone. There is no right or wrong, just your ear and trial and error.

I replaced my eterntity with a couple Proanalog pedals as Scotty has the magic. Scotty has harmonics galore and his pedals like 12 V or 18V. It is just a bigger sound and for my rig it makes more sense.

The Saffron Yellow Trem is a difficult pedal for BJ to make, as it contains many parts in a small box. He wont make anymore :( It is a brown face Trem and it is beautiful sounding.

What else do you guys want to know? I was on the phone with him for almost 2 hours Tuesday. He is just a fantastic human being and one of the kindest men I have met. Dean is the US distributer and he will handle all of your orders. FWIW, I have told him my PJ buddies get a bump the line card ;)

The MGMV is one magic pedal, he only makes them on a full moon. I always use it, with both knobs turned CCW it is a boost with a tone like no other.

PAC, you can't compare the HB to the Eternity or the BBOD to the HB or Eterntity they are all different. You could compare the DRD to the Eternity, the DRD is way more flexible.

Pssss, you guys need to check out ProAnalog for MKIIs, OD's and if you are gigging players his shit cuts through anything.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i'd probably love the honey bee. i'll keep watching tonefactor.
    Dean is great, he had my EGDM here in maybe 1.5 weeks.

I've been thinking of getting on the timmy list too.

I just want to hang out and jam, talk shop with BJ one day. He just seems like a cool guy, not really about circuits, about colors and the like, how he views sound.

The honey bee is probably perfect for me and my rig.

oh, and will the MGMV do the ping pong style Uni V sound?
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Dean is great, he had my EGDM here in maybe 1.5 weeks.

I've been thinking of getting on the timmy list too.

I just want to hang out and jam, talk shop with BJ one day. He just seems like a cool guy, not really about circuits, about colors and the like, how he views sound.

The honey bee is probably perfect for me and my rig.

oh, and will the MGMV do the ping pong style Uni V sound?

The MGMV is not really a univibe, but it has those tones plus its own unique take as well. It is just the most inpsriring pedal I have ever played or owned. If you are a writer, then this one might be worth its weight to you :)

Shoot me a PM would ya?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Thanks for the good word with Dean... I appreciate it for sure.

I need to track down a good delay/echo unit...

The Macht 12 has a very good trem circuit built in (based on a brown fender I believe... silent switching too, very cool)...
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Thanks for the good word with Dean... I appreciate it for sure.

I need to track down a good delay/echo unit...

The Macht 12 has a very good trem circuit built in (based on a brown fender I believe... silent switching too, very cool)...

cough Fulltone TTE cough.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    cough Fulltone TTE cough.

yeah, thanks for that... lol

I was thinking about an SIB Echodrive too.

Now I am thinking I want a Candy Apple Fuzz and an EGDM... I miss the class A chime form the KR. I also think I need some heavy fuzz tones available to get down on some heavy blues.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    yeah, thanks for that... lol

I was thinking about an SIB Echodrive too.

Now I am thinking I want a Candy Apple Fuzz and an EGDM... I miss the class A chime form the KR. I also think I need some heavy fuzz tones available to get down on some heavy blues.

I'd wait to see what you can get with the new ones first. The EGDM does have quite a bit of chime but I have an EL84 amp too so there's no telling really.

Echodrive would be good. Toadworks Redux......ECHOCZAR +ANGELBABY = probably DIVORCE You could try out the cheap digitechs though. I like my digiverb ok, I bet the digidelay has some usable tones in it.

oh, the Diamond Memory Lane too in that Echodrive price range.
    Memory Lane is the bomb. Retroman has one coming out. Sweet has one he is working on as well.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Memory Lane is the bomb. Retroman has one coming out. Sweet has one he is working on as well.

I will figure something out... apparently I need to buy an EGDM and a CAF... :D that and the entire Proanalog lineup!!
    There's No Code.
  • JofZ wrote:

Hey JofZ, or anyone who may know ... has Bjorn ever made a true phaser pedal?

and not the MGMV ... looking for a true phase, as the original Ibanez Phasetone pedal was stolen in the mail before i got it ($100 down the drain! grr!) ... and not insured, boo!

and then, I bought an old Phasetone II, but it was, A. noisy, and is now B. busted on account of some cheap 5 cent piece of plastic that holds the contact against the cable on the in jack ...

... so i'm back on the market for a good phase ... and i lean more towards the EVH phase than the univibe phase ... so ... anyone ... anywhere?

yeah go ahead and say it ... the EVH Phase 90.
    i know.

bastids.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    Hey JofZ, or anyone who may know ... has Bjorn ever made a true phaser pedal?

and not the MGMV ... looking for a true phase, as the original Ibanez Phasetone pedal was stolen in the mail before i got it ($100 down the drain! grr!) ... and not insured, boo!

and then, I bought an old Phasetone II, but it was, A. noisy, and is now B. busted on account of some cheap 5 cent piece of plastic that holds the contact against the cable on the in jack ...

... so i'm back on the market for a good phase ... and i lean more towards the EVH phase than the univibe phase ... so ... anyone ... anywhere?

yeah go ahead and say it ... the EVH Phase 90.
    i know.

bastids.

yeah, there are exactly 3. IT's the PPP Purple Plum Phaser.

and there was #1 for sale on TGP for $300 if you're fast.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    dunlop's releasing a "script" phase 90 reissue. basically the EVH with the switch engaged and without the stupid paint.
    exhausted wrote:
    dunlop's releasing a "script" phase 90 reissue. basically the EVH with the switch engaged and without the stupid paint.

THey are also releasing an EVH Flanger.

Ex, Please flog me repeatedly for not purchasing that freaking flanger for 50 bucks at Guitar Center. I could have made 3 bills on that thing. Stupid stupid stupid. See kids, sometimes, thinking a deal is too good to be true, actually costs you money.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah, there are exactly 3. IT's the PPP Purple Plum Phaser.

and there was #1 for sale on TGP for $300 if you're fast.

There are 4 and Cobras wasn't really for sale ;)

My SYT got here on Saturday, OMG what a pedal. It is a brown face trem. Everything but the looooong swell. Perfect for the Germino.

I also got a Skreddy Screw Driver, get this one now. It is a janglely OD, think REM, Stones, Zep, Trower, it just sings and I had a hard time turning it off. Lets just say it kicked the eternity in the nutz :)

Another one for all you guys to check is the Scot60/SS1 from ProAnalog. It is a dirty boost and man is this thing nice for those who use guitar knobs and play with a turned up amp.

More to come, the Mayo and DAM Rat came over the weekend as well, but I had no time.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

yeah the Skrew Driver is high on my list. I listened to a bunch of Gainsters clips.

I'm also thinking about a Throbak fuzz. I just want to try it. I like his clips.

That colorsound overdriver clone is enticing too.

The thing is, I like the eternity, I love the honey bee. I like the Skrew Driver.

What does this all mean? yeah, It means the Gibby is getting sold.

That, and The new strat is getting new pups and tuners.

I do want to try the scot 60
    my guitar player uses a throbak Stonebender... pretty cool, but very noisy... a lot of high end hiss when engaged.

My guitar player got his PPF and it was great. It really worked well with his setup on alot of our songs.

My HB and PPF are set to ship this week apparently. That's good news.
    There's No Code.
    PPF into the HB is sweet!!!
    You are going to love them both.

Pac, skip the throbac if you want a tonebender in a small box the Proanalog MKII is amazing. Big box would be the DAM hands down.

I would get a Screw Driver first, he ain't making many.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    PPF into the HB is sweet!!!
    You are going to love them both.

Pac, skip the throbac if you want a tonebender in a small box the Proanalog MKII is amazing. Big box would be the DAM hands down.

I would get a Screw Driver first, he ain't making many.

I want a Screw Driver I know.

I also want hendrix Monterrey Pop sound and Hendrix BOG sound. so multiple fuzzes od's etc. Not exactly of course, it's just a benchmark for tonality.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I want a Screw Driver I know.

I also want hendrix Monterrey Pop sound and Hendrix BOG sound. so multiple fuzzes od's etc. Not exactly of course, it's just a benchmark for tonality.

Hey have I told you about the Screw Driver :)

With all of the guys here loving the PJ tone and classic rock stuff this pedal should be on everyones board. Those clips are just the start.

Mont. Pop, is basically a bunch of 100 Watt plexis, a strat, a FF, an Octavia and a wah. I would skip the pedals and just buy Greg's Mont Head :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Hey have I told you about the Screw Driver :)

With all of the guys here loving the PJ tone and classic rock stuff this pedal should be on everyones board. Those clips are just the start.

Mont. Pop, is basically a bunch of 100 Watt plexis, a strat, a FF, an Octavia and a wah. I would skip the pedals and just buy Greg's Mont Head :)

yeah, unfortunately they were non master volume heads as well. Yeah, unless I own a farm in say woodstock ga, yeah, I ain't getting to the sweet spot with out a decronkulous attenuator. Eventually, I'll get one.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah, unfortunately they were non master volume heads as well. Yeah, unless I own a farm in say woodstock ga, yeah, I ain't getting to the sweet spot with out a decronkulous attenuator. Eventually, I'll get one.

Come on, everyone needs to own at least one completely worthless amp LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Come on, everyone needs to own at least one completely worthless amp LOL

yeah, the funny thing is so much has been put into that sound and everybody goes, oh, that's a fuzz face and roger mayer is a genius and all that jazz. All of which is true.

The vast majority of that sound is those plexis and those lovely G12M (and other) speakers full out, The Fuzz Faces add a bit more balls and hair. The Octavia gets the cool upper octave stuff and then the wah and univibe add some fun, but the majority is in his hands.

Bottom line. If you don't have a good amp, you won't get near that tone.

Once I have the pups, I'll get that stuff I want in spades with the orange and the EGDM. After the new tubes, I barely turn on the DD.

The shannon uniphase continues to be one of the best built and sounding pedals I've ever plugged into.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    The shannon uniphase continues to be one of the best built and sounding pedals I've ever plugged into.

hey didn't i just ask you for a phaser recommendation.
    what took you so long to spit out this info?

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?