The other side of gibson.....

Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.gibsoncustom.com/

They just came out with a new Vintage Original Spec line. No word on the price yet, probably between 3 and 5 G's
My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    *sigh*......

it's getting a little silly.

one would assume this replaces the historics?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    *sigh*......

it's getting a little silly.

one would assume this replaces the historics?

yeah I think they are the "historics"
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    well, it could have been worse and been in addition to the historics.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.gibsoncustom.com/

They just came out with a new Vintage Original Spec line. No word on the price yet, probably between 3 and 5 G's

will this high-end market of 'instantly collectible' guitars ever dry up?
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • well guys, I finally got my replacement LP Custom. It's actually much better than the first, and the top is much better looking. However there are still imperfections in the binding, and the G string still slips a bit. Has Gibson really fallen this far? I also went down to the local music store to look at a few custom shop guitars they had, and it was like night and day. 2 were spot on, and perfect. The other 3 had imperfections all over the place. It really pains me to see that they are relying on the Gibson name, and gimics like 'the custom shop' and 'historics' instead of producing guitars that are worth 3-5k. I am sure that the new line is not any different from the old line. Just 'historically accurate' what a crock.
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?

not if gibson can help it.
  • exhausted wrote:
    not if gibson can help it.

How many different versions of a late 1950's LP Standard can they manufacture before they've satisfied the demand? Cosmetically age it, have Jimmy Page endorse it, what else can you do to sell the same thing multiple times? I'm waiting for a reissue of a reissue.

sure unless foto flame becomes en vogue. The supply of the best wood is finite. Then we will go back to plain tops primarily. Basically, what happened is the crappy stock market, people pulled thier money out and now they are investing in things. I don't know how much I'd trust it unless it's an actual original.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Maybe its just me, but I'd skip the Custom shop and just get a regular Gibson. Thats what my sights are set on right now. Let the saving begin.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    sure unless foto flame becomes en vogue. The supply of the best wood is finite. Then we will go back to plain tops primarily. Basically, what happened is the crappy stock market, people pulled thier money out and now they are investing in things. I don't know how much I'd trust it unless it's an actual original.

How many of the people who buy these things actually play them and how many of them see them as investments or just lock them in a glass display case?

Maybe mass produced 80's metal wankfest guitars will become the new sought after collectibles in 20 years. Collectors will be falling over themselves trying to find anything in neon yellow with a Floyd Rose licensed trem.
    How many of the people who buy these things actually play them and how many of them see them as investments or just lock them in a glass display case?

Maybe mass produced 80's metal wankfest guitars will become the new sought after collectibles in 20 years. Collectors will be falling over themselves trying to find anything in neon yellow with a Floyd Rose licensed trem.

I believe you would be astonished at the pricing for the "Eddie Van Halen" Charvel guitars. What's next CC Deville and BC rich.. Shudder.

The Randy Rhodes Jacksons do pretty well also.

Hey if George Lynch fans want to shell out big bones for those ugly things go for it.
    i love plaintops.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I believe you would be astonished at the pricing for the "Eddie Van Halen" Charvel guitars. What's next CC Deville and BC rich.. Shudder.

Hey if George Lynch fans want to shell out big bones for those ugly things go for it.

Yeah, I saw that Eddie Van Halen model. That's insane. Those Charvels don't even have the proper red, black and white stripe paint scheme, do they? I could have sworn that I saw one with a red/white checkerboard scheme. What a ripoff.

"C.C., pick up that guitar and talk to me!"

Kramer had the most wonderfully idiotic names for their 80's superstrat models. Check out the list on Harmony Central.

If White Lion guitarist Vito Bratta doesn't have ESP signature model guitars available at 3 different price points, then the terrorists have won.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:

Those 80s San Dimas Charvels are worth a fortune for some reason.
  • Really I have been looking for a Reb Beach signature model Ibanez for about 10 years. If Winger ever gets back together, I am selling the house and going on tour. Now if anyone should release a 'heritage' collection it's Ibanez.
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    The first VOS LP's are in some stores, these are no big deal. You get nickel aged hardware. Realistic tops, agerd hardware. It is just another step in the vintage vibe direction. All these 2006's are PLEKed now too, biggest difference in the world is the PLEK.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    ah yes, the plek.

derfsnerfferwice.
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I What's next CC Deville and BC rich.. Shudder.

Don't even joke about that. If that shit ever happens...god help us all.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • moster78 wrote:
    Maybe its just me, but I'd skip the Custom shop and just get a regular Gibson. Thats what my sights are set on right now. Let the saving begin.

Get a Hamer.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
    moemoe6434 wrote:
    Get a Hamer.

Got my heart and mind set on a SG '61 Reissue. Cheaper than a Les Paul Standard.
    moster78 wrote:
    Got my heart and mind set on a SG '61 Reissue. Cheaper than a Les Paul Standard.

Go used, or get a plain top.
    Or do your self a huge favor and go get a MF private reserve flame top R7 for under 2500. They are flying off the shelves and you can see the serial numbers on the MF site since they are a super dealer ;)

http://www.privatereserveguitars.com/electric-guitar/2996/518462.008_76003.shtml
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    JofZ wrote:
    Or do your self a huge favor and go get a MF private reserve flame top R7 for under 2500. They are flying off the shelves and you can see the serial numbers on the MF site since they are a super dealer ;)

http://www.privatereserveguitars.com/electric-guitar/2996/518462.008_76003.shtml

Thanks! But I want the SG because I want the SG, not because its a cheaper alternative to a Les Paul.
  • JofZ wrote:

what does the "MF" stand for, why are their prices so comparatively cheap, and howcome the only place i see guitars is in the "on the way" section?

do they really go through so many that there is nothing in inventory, or is the site buggy?

the items coming in that list as "57 gibson" ... i assume are RI, but they do not say, nor do they specify the reissue year.

am i supposed to look up the serial?

any info would be appreciated, JOZ.

:D

lookin to trade up my '76 custom already.

woo hoo!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    what does the "MF" stand for, why are their prices so comparatively cheap, and howcome the only place i see guitars is in the "on the way" section?

do they really go through so many that there is nothing in inventory, or is the site buggy?

the items coming in that list as "57 gibson" ... i assume are RI, but they do not say, nor do they specify the reissue year.

am i supposed to look up the serial?

any info would be appreciated, JOZ.

:D

lookin to trade up my '76 custom already.

woo hoo!

Happy to help!
    MF is MusciansFriend one of the largest online retailers and a Gibson Super Dealer. Thus they can post photos of acutal guitars.
    The Private Reserve is the high end section of their online store.
    The site is full of bugs, but you can call them and MAP ( min advertised price) is what you see, they will go another 15%-25% below those numbers.
    The guitar I posted is only available through them. It is a 1957 Reissue in very nice flametop instead of Gold top. Everything else is identical. You can see the first 3 right now, they are sold from what I know. The incoming section is just that. Give them a call!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• well guys, I finally got my replacement LP Custom. It's actually much better than the first, and the top is much better looking. However there are still imperfections in the binding, and the G string still slips a bit. Has Gibson really fallen this far? I also went down to the local music store to look at a few custom shop guitars they had, and it was like night and day. 2 were spot on, and perfect. The other 3 had imperfections all over the place. It really pains me to see that they are relying on the Gibson name, and gimics like 'the custom shop' and 'historics' instead of producing guitars that are worth 3-5k. I am sure that the new line is not any different from the old line. Just 'historically accurate' what a crock.

There are far better Guitars out there for 3-4k. just have a look at those Jet Guitars. Gibson take the piss. and i think your right 'custom shop' is just a gimmik. i think the people making those guitars are not of the same standard of lutherie as the the original builders from the 50's or even the 70's.

if it's got a price tag over 3k it should be a very ltd run and hand made, and dam near perfection.

Ed Roman has some cool brands of his own too, like Quicksilver and just 'Roman'. for that sort of cash you could fly to Vegas and watch the dude build it. I think he is the only distributer of 'Jet Guitars' at the moment.
    He was the first guy to sell PRS guitars as well, but stopped giving them any credit as soon as they stopped being hand made, and done on fat machines.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
    moster78 wrote:
    Thanks! But I want the SG because I want the SG, not because its a cheaper alternative to a Les Paul.

If you don't have your heart set on the 61 from Gibson which is a righteous guitar in it's own right, you can get one that's very similar built in Korea sold under the Epiphone Elite line for about 800 bucks less if you can find one. 61's are my favorite look for SG's too besides classics and Jr's. I wouldn't mind owning a melody maker from that era with Fralin Unbuckers either. The heritage line has one in there too I think with a bit better looking top wood. I hope you get it anyway, it's a killer guitar. They should come with a half stack and a book AC/DC riffs and a coiled cable.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    If you don't have your heart set on the 61 from Gibson which is a righteous guitar in it's own right, you can get one that's very similar built in Korea sold under the Epiphone Elite line for about 800 bucks less if you can find one. 61's are my favorite look for SG's too besides classics and Jr's. I wouldn't mind owning a melody maker from that era with Fralin Unbuckers either. The heritage line has one in there too I think with a bit better looking top wood. I hope you get it anyway, it's a killer guitar. They should come with a half stack and a book AC/DC riffs and a coiled cable.

I know about the Elitist SG, but for some reason I just have my heart set on the Gibson '61. Already working on the AC/DC riffs! I saw Billy Joel at MSG the other night, and surprisingly he strapped on a guitar for a song or two, one being "Highway to Hell" that he let a member of his road crew sing. Oddly enough, it was the highlight of the show for me.
    moster78 wrote:
    I know about the Elitist SG, but for some reason I just have my heart set on the Gibson '61. Already working on the AC/DC riffs! I saw Billy Joel at MSG the other night, and surprisingly he strapped on a guitar for a song or two, one being "Highway to Hell" that he let a member of his road crew sing. Oddly enough, it was the highlight of the show for me.

There's just something liberating about playing an SG and ringing out some heavy open chords. I'd love to be able to get one with a 59 profile neck.

That's cool you managed to see Billy Joel and he played guitar.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I'd love to be able to get one with a 59 profile neck.

Is that the slimmer or chunkier neck?
    the 59 is the chunkier one.

my standard has a fairly thick neck. same as my les paul so i like it very much.

play a standard and a 61 back to back to get a good feel for the necks.