Who's in a band?

elusive_oneelusive_one Posts: 117
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, who's in a band here? What are you called? What instrument do you play? And, what the hell, might as well add some self promotion in there too!

Me, Elusive Ones (I wonder where I got that from... hehe), bass, we're playing at the HiFi Bar in Melbourne for the Pearl Jam tribute night on Oct 30th... tix are $15 and can be bought at Gaslight or at HiFi Bar. We are actually a band of originals, but we were offered this and couldn't refuse such an awesome offer!!
If you wanna hear us, see my sig... hope you enjoy :D
"...to love some silly piece of music... or some band so much that it hurts"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TAKE IT TO THE GRAVE.

we're a 5 piece hardcore punk band from massachusetts. we play fast, mid tempo and catchy songs. just recorded a 5 song demo cd. if anyone's interested, email me (<!-- e --><a href="mailto:WMHC413@aol.com">WMHC413@aol.com</a><!-- e -->). i play bass in the band by the way. i'm the only pearl jam fan so i've been trying to get us to cover sonic reducer haha, it's close as i'll get to some pj in this band.
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • I play guitar and sing for Evinrude.
    We are a Rock/Alternative Rock band from the burb's of Philly.
    Of Course our secret weapon is some wickly awesome covers of PJ.

http://www.evinrude.tk <~~ Site is under construction, so all that there is the guestbook check it out, plus the new site should be up soon.
    Bowwowwow...yippie yo...yippie ye...bow wow...yippie yo...yippie ye...
    -Eddie Vedder
    (Blood, 7-5-03, Camden 1)
  • i play guitar.. were almost a band.. we live in columbia sc, our singer wes lives in seattle wa, weve been sending him songs over the web and hes been writing lyrics.. he is moving here next month, and we will be playing some shows soon after. we play mostly rock / punk.. inspired by pj, at the drive-in, trail of dead, q and not u, fugazi, slowreader, cursive, the shins and some local bands.. etc..
    we are debating over our band name. its between these:

if it shines
    pools of brightness
    dearly departed
    blythe kills all
    this heart's on fire
  • I want to be in a band :|
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Originally posted by Gossard_Is_God
    I want to be in a band :|

so start a band
    this heart's on fire
  • well i know i have a thread on here. but i'll explain what i do in my band

guitar/lead vocals

mix of PJ/Coldplay/Counting Crows/u2 etc etc influence.

mainly sad songs about getting through life after it kicks you long enough to wanna quit.

link is in my signature below.

-low
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • thats a great band name, engine of the ocean
    this heart's on fire
  • Originally posted by Gossard_Is_God
    I want to be in a band :|

Me too, but it's hard to find people who are on the same wavelength. Don't wanna go through ads and stuff. MOst off the folks placing ads for bands are to ambitious (as in: we are 15 years old and can't play a note but wan't a stadium tour within 3 weeks!). I'd like to meet someone on the streets, in a bar, get talking and playing! Mainly for the fun of it. I hate ads...

Gossard, you're in London, I'm in Belgium, not that far away :)

I play rythm guitar
  • I was lucky how I met the guitarist of my band... we met here at Synergy, and met in person when we went to see the band Brad and we met up when PJ were here in Melb and not long after we decided to start a band. But sometimes those ads are cool... our drummer answered an ad we put on a website and he's an awesome guy and a very cool drummer. I feel very lucky. But do try some of those ads... you may be pleasantly surprised :)
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i'd like to be but i don't have the time or the skill.
  • 69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    I play bass in a band. We play enough now that I don't have to have a real job. We're called Waitin' on Bob.
  • I play rythm guitar in a five-piece band called Randall. We played our first show at the local legion earlier this month and it was awesome. Our setlist included songs by Pearl Jam, STP, Foo Fighters, Nirvana and Moist. We're currently getting ready for our next show and trying to write some original tunes.
    Zac Whalen
  • I play drums in two.
    The Motherheads is more influenced by the Dead, Phish and Allman Brothers, and of course Pearl Jam with me in the band.
    http://www.motherheads.com

Interphase is a funky, fusion sort of band influenced by drum and bass, jungle, MMW, Tortoise, etc. Website still under construction but almost done and very cool
    http://interphase.lightsky.net

Anyone in Indy wanna get together and jam some Pearl Jam?
    "I'm George Bush and my son is an ass hole! Alleluiah!"
  • TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    hey corduroy yesterday. i'm from indy and play guitar. i'd love to get together and play some PJ. do you play any other instruments besides drums?

i'll pm you.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i'd like to be but i don't have the time or the skill.
    Bullshit. I listened to Waking Dream again today, and I don't wanna hear you about lack of skill.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by pariah
    Bullshit. I listened to Waking Dream again today, and I don't wanna hear you about lack of skill.

thank you. :)

but i definitely don't have time it seems. i could do solo shows though. does that count as a band? :)
  • i play drums in a band called ABADON.i am from Europe, SLovakia and we play some Metallica songs besides our own songs.I d like to play some PJ tunes but my band mates dont.
    do you think that it is hard to play PJ ? because i think that it is very hard to play it with the feel they have...
    me: www.myspace.com/mariomarcinek

my band: www.myspace.com/mofokillerain

official site: www.stonerock.sk
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    im in a band

i play guitar and we are called WAYSIDE for now, we have to change it if we want to play across the country for legal reasons so we are deciding on afew different names right now...

we play shows all over the state, played the lcoal stage athe warpd tour here in minneapolis...

http://www.waysiderock.net

january 10th saturday night at the fineline is our next show...

if you so chose to check us out, download...gates, ride, loophole, awakening, at dusk, uh..pulse

weve been compared to, the doors (not sure why though) the cult, blue oyster cult (before they were blue oyster cult), and of course pearl jam...

so ya, theres my shameless plug
  • silassilas Posts: 23
    I guess you could say I am....One of my friends who is a decent guitarist and I have a group, and we have had a really hard time finding more people, because I'm in a very small town and all of the talent in my HS is sapped (if there are any singers or bass players in Erwin/Unicoi/Flag Pond TN, show yourself! lol). We play a little bit of everything. No name until we find more people. ;)
  • I play rhtyam guitar in a band called "The Band"(in my language the name sounds much more cooler)and we will have our 1st gig on the 23rdon our PROM!!!!!we will play only a couple of songs but still I'm VERY,VERY nervous....how was it for you all playing for the first time?O yeah and I also have the "I'm the only pj fan in the band"problem...
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."
    "I may be drunk but at least I'm not insane."
    "I don't have a drinking problem 'Cept when I can't get a drink."
    "There ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk"
    -Tom Waits
  • FlizankFlizank Posts: 59
    Our band is called "Corduroy Roots" but I'm pretty sure as of 15 minutes ago, it changed to "Interstellar Death Squad". We're influenced by the Beatles, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Black Sabbath.... variety of different bands. Me (rhythm guitar) and my buddy (Lead guitar) are working on songs, but we've been jamming a lot since summer. We're going to start working on songs specifically very soon, if I have a say in things. :)

We're a 4 (maybe a 5 peice) from Westchester, NY, and we're all sophmores in high school. I figure the beatles were playing hamburg when they were 16... :)
    PresiWAH of the Evenflow Fan Club
    Don't need a hand, there's always arms attached.
    Don't get behind I can't fall back.
    Why must we trust all these rusted rails?
    They don't want no change. We already have.
  • I recently got called up to play utility for two bands. Both are backing solo artists. One I'll be playing rhythm guitar, mostly acoustic. The other I will be playing bass. I have been approached by a guy who needs a drummer, and I would really like the gig, but he's horribly disorganized. And I have a drummer and bass player who want to back me in a band of my own.

But right now... Just two...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Hey i'm in the Melbourne area, hopefully this doesn't sound conceited but I think I write some half decent poetry and can play drums and I also have a friend who can do some mad stuff on the computer and turntable. If there are any singers and guitarists out there in Melbourne looking to form a band give me a PM. I don't want the band to sound like Linkin Park but the turntable can add something different, he also writes music and has some knowledge of music theroy.

PS: I've got a garage we can use for writing and practice and we'll make sure we get some PJ covers into our setlists when we start playing.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Originally posted by A Surprise Left
    Hey i'm in the Melbourne area, hopefully this doesn't sound conceited but I think I write some half decent poetry and can play drums and I also have a friend who can do some mad stuff on the computer and turntable. If there are any singers and guitarists out there in Melbourne looking to form a band give me a PM. I don't want the band to sound like Linkin Park but the turntable can add something different, he also writes music and has some knowledge of music theroy.

PS: I've got a garage we can use for writing and practice and we'll make sure we get some PJ covers into our setlists when we start playing.

Where abouts in Melb you from?
  • I am a beginner guitar player and was wondering of some good resources for learning PJ songs. Anyone have ideas or a past experience?
    "Life is a social gathering for the body, music is infinite to the soul." - Stosunek
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Originally posted by stosunek
    I am a beginner guitar player and was wondering of some good resources for learning PJ songs. Anyone have ideas or a past experience?
    Welcome... try http://www.giventowail.com - it has a beginners section (under "interact").

Also, you should make a new topic if you have a question that doesn't really fit in an existing topic... it'll attract more viewers that way.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • I play bass for The Postwar Dream. The band is from Bowling Green, Kentucky and we are looking for a lead singer. We have been together for almost a year. We are looking for some one who can sing really good too. The band has a combined 30 years of experience with their instruments. We are all in our early 20's so we would like someone around this age too. It would be great if the singer would also be willing to relocate. The goals of this band is to tour, have fun, and make great music. We currently have over 30 songs, so we have lots of material for someone to work with.I would say we are a mix between alternative and prog rock w/ an odd-great instrumentals(funk, surf, blues, and jazz). But of course our primary focus is rock. We are currently in the process of recording two albums (the guitarist has a Tascam recorder, so we get to record anytime we want to) and we are also working on songs for a third album. So there will be tons of material for a lead singer to get their hands on. The drummer has been playing drums since he was six years old. He also has a 17 piece drum kit. The drummer is influenced by Peart from Rush and Carter from DMB. We use his house as a place to practice, which no one bothers us. The guitarist has been playing for 8 years and he has great equipment to record with. The guitarist influences would be Mike from PJ, and the Edge. We all have great dedication toward this project. This group practices twice a week, but we would be glad to practice alot more as soon as a lead singer came. Now I am wanting to go more in depth with our music. I would say some of our heavy tunes sound like Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden (No Nu-Metal whatsoever, we hate that stuff). The melodic tunes sound like U2, REM, and the Cure. The middle tunes I would say have a Pearl Jam vibe to it (From Vitalogy to Riot Act, personaly Ten and Vs. are good albums, but their later albums are so much better. They seem to just get better and better every album.) And of course there are the odd but fun instrumentals which cover blues, funk, jazz, and surf. Basically to sum it up, if you are a fan of great music that really means something then we want you. For a singer, we want someone who can really sing. Both of my favorite lead singers are Bono and Eddie Vedder (Great lyrics and great on stage). So this can give you an idea on what kind of singer we want. So if anyone is interested then email us.
    Brad-slownumber@aol.com
    Daniel-jpdjb1982@aol.com
  • Originally posted by elusive_one
    Where abouts in Melb you from?

hey i'm in the Dandenong area(south east) although I am a little rusy in the drumming department. I think you guys would be well above my level.
    The wind is blowing cold

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Originally posted by A Surprise Left
    hey i'm in the Dandenong area(south east) although I am a little rusy in the drumming department. I think you guys would be well above my level.

I wasn't thinking of you joining elusive ones... we like our current drummer... I was considering having a side project for myself, but I live in the North Western suburbs... Dandy is a long way away for me! But a friend of mine might be looking for a new drummer soon and his band lives closer to you... so you should start un-rustifying your drum skills... hehe.
  • cool yeah you are a little far away from me but i'll make an effort to go and see you guys play. do you normally play a couple of PJ covers. I would like to get a band going though time to get back into it.
    The wind is blowing cold

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?