What cover would you finish a set with?

Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
May have been done before, but what cover would you guys play as a final song in the set to bring the curtain down? Something to take things to the top notch and go out with a bang...
Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• we always play rocking when we stop the set. Or sometimes All along the watchtower (played a bit like U2 did, but then with tags in it from pearl jam, rolling stones, the doors, u2, jimi hendrix, ..... )
  • jodijodi Posts: 183
    alive will be cool!
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Unless you're a cover band, I wouldn't finish with a cover. I'd finish with your strongest orginal song so people remember you.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    my last band used to finish with 2 songs one being a song of ours and finally one of 2 covers we did usually werewolves of london by warron zevron during which i used to wear a werewolf mask haha.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • knocking on heaven's doors
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    Used to do Rage's Killing in the Name.
  • Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    enharmonic wrote:
    Unless you're a cover band, I wouldn't finish with a cover. I'd finish with your strongest orginal song so people remember you.

Its our cd launch so we'll be playing a fair selection of originals to people who are familiar with out stuff, just after something rocking and fun to finish on. Im thinking of something along the lines of baba orielly
    Check out our first song off it... http://www.myspace.com/teamillumni
    Let me know what you think.
    Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Rockin' In The Free World, just fuckin jam it out.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    just do a primus song
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    enharmonic wrote:

See I would disagree,

Personally I would play Rockin' In The Free World...

I think that would get people's attention way more than one of your original songs...

I'm basing this on if nobody knows who you are, and wouldn't know any of your tunes :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Yeah play your own songs through the show obviously but id be inclined to finish on a cover.
    RITFW is a good choice.... as any PJ fans know.

How bout AC/DC - Back in Black? \m/ lol.
  • dadowdstadadowdsta Posts: 15
    I think I would end my set with either "Lunchbox" by Marylin Manson or "Crossroads" by Cream.

Doing "Crossroads" would rock! You could jam out to that song for ever!
  • You can't go wrong with a bit of Led Zep
    "...Oh no wait, you're Bisexual...."
    If you wanna chat, rorykent8@hotmail.com
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
    My old band and my current band used to change it up between:

RITFW
    The Ocean by Zeppelin
    Alive
    Comatose (we are working on that cover now)
    Roadhouse Blues by The Doors
    Bring It On Home by Zeppelin (my favorite closer)
    I Will Follow by U2
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Jam-fanJam-fan Posts: 70
    depends on the venue, RITFW is a classic of course, or just to sound redundant, Yellow Ledbetter

but for a small little pub, the best song is Bugger Off, irish pub music at its best
  • OobahOobah Posts: 35
    we play one of our own songs
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    Bob Seger, Turn the Page
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
    My old band and my current band used to change it up between:

RITFW
    The Ocean by Zeppelin
    Alive
    Comatose (we are working on that cover now)
    Roadhouse Blues by The Doors
    Bring It On Home by Zeppelin (my favorite closer)
    I Will Follow by U2

HHV I wish you went to my school dude......

:)

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,836
    Anyone for Whipping?

Don't mean to push but I'm being shoved.
    I'm just like you think we've had enough.
    I can't believe a thing they want us to.
    We all got scars they should have them too.

They're whipping.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    Anyone for Whipping?

Don't mean to push but I'm being shoved.
    I'm just like you think we've had enough.
    I can't believe a thing they want us to.
    We all got scars they should have them too.

They're whipping.

Is Whipping hard on the guitar??

I've never tried it.......

*goes to giventowail*

.NJD.
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
    HHV I wish you went to my school dude......

:)

haha whys that? so we could jam to those songs?

Roadhouse Blues I never learned the guitar part because I could actually sing that song pretty well for some reason....I played guitar but I only threw in some chords here and there...but all the other songs I play lead for so maybe i should actually learn it haha

but Bring It On Home is my favorite closer...the way the intro of the song starts gets peoples momentum up and then it kicks in...and then to close it out it gets really slow again
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    haha whys that? so we could jam to those songs?

Cause none of my buddies listen to the same stuff as me.......

One guys will jam to Pearl Jam ocassionally with....we always play Alive, I Am Mine and Elderly Woman.

Other than that though, nobody likes anything I do.......

Lol

.NJD.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I usually do some kind of medley on acoustic, ending with GNR's Patience.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    That would be a killer ender^^.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • The two that are most played are

Roads - Portishead
    Leave - REM

Rockin' also gets played
    "I'll be hanging upside down, and there I will swing, for all e.........tern.............ni..............ty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I always used to end with "Bulls on Parade"
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    one of the bands i was in a few years ago used to finish with a quirky punky version of beautiful by christina aquilera haha. we actually got banned from one venue cause the crowd kinda got outta control and started pull the lighting down... ouch.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Best show closer I've ever seen was "The Real Me" by The Who.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
    I like the who idea. See Me, Feel Me would work as well. Especially with the woodstock version, that is bloody intense.