Options

just orderd this stack...

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by low_light
    speaking of which. MikeM- so the "custom voice" speakers are cheap in the cab? i figured the cab was okay and it was the head that was the cheap thing. but i will replace the head and the speakers if i need to along the line anyway. as for now. im possitive it will be good.

I think that you're right, the head is the weaker link in that combo. But (if you didn't know already) I am the resident speaker geek, and my IMPRESSION is that the speakers aren't standard Celestions, but maybe an econo version. They may actually be speakers specially designed for that amp, though. Either way, I think the speakers are fine and will be fine when you replace the amp head. But if I had an all-tube Marshall head, I'd want to play them through some Celestion Vintage 30's or Greenbacks.

I can almost cover a single wall in my apartment right now with speakers and combo amps... I have a 6x10" cabinet for my bass, two 4x10" cabinets for guitar, a Marshall combo with a single 12", a Vibro Champ with an 8", a Pignose with a 6", and I have 4 10" speakers that I will be building cabinets for over Christmas break. I really am a speaker junkie...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    very cool i will keep that in mind. im sure i will be PMing you when i decide to replace them someday. thanks, MC.

im off to bed.

-dm
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    Originally posted by low_light
    very cool i will keep that in mind. im sure i will be PMing you when i decide to replace them someday. thanks, MC.

im off to bed.

-dm

Greenbacks or Vintage 30's... that's all you need for Marshall tone...

Sweet dreams, low.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    So, you think I nailed the response? I gotta practice for some essay tests coming up... ;)

There is definitely a good reason for Pete to be deaf. Me, I use Hear-O's whenever I'm at a concert: watching, working or playing. 32 dB isn't always enough attenuation, either... and I'm 23! If it's too loud, you're too old... yeah, fuck that...

Your term paper was very good.

There were only PA systems for the vocals and drums back then.
    More often than not, the sound was horrible if you were an afficianado of sound. What was incredible was the pure power and emotion and frenzy of energy put out by the bands, coupled with the intensity of the audience.

There was nothing I've ever seen in any concert more intense and wonderous and emotional than seeing Jimi Hendrix, but when you hear the live albums, to me, it's cold compared to the actual event. You don't get the total heart thumping , hair standing , jaw dropping feel.
    The recordings were off old equipment, remastered sometimes, but never truly match the sound in the room that night.

I saw hendrix and cream etc, and really, as much as guitarists want to attain that tone, you have to:
    1. Get a bunch of marshall stacks turned to 10
    2 Get any overdrive pedal, on 10
    3 play with more reckless abandon and viruosity and charismatic energy than you ever thought possible.
    4 WEAR earplugs, like MIG says.

I know a lot of hard of hearing musicians! I don't know HOW I escaped that!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    So, you think I nailed the response? I gotta practice for some essay tests coming up... ;)

There is definitely a good reason for Pete to be deaf. Me, I use Hear-O's whenever I'm at a concert: watching, working or playing. 32 dB isn't always enough attenuation, either... and I'm 23! If it's too loud, you're too old... yeah, fuck that...

Your term paper was very good.

There were only PA systems for the vocals and drums back then.
    More often than not, the sound was horrible if you were an afficianado of sound. What was incredible was the pure power and emotion and frenzy of energy put out by the bands, coupled with the intensity of the audience.

There was nothing I've ever seen in any concert more intense and wonderous and emotional than seeing Jimi Hendrix, but when you hear the live albums, to me, it's cold compared to the actual event. You don't get the total heart thumping , hair standing , jaw dropping feel.
    The recordings were off old equipment, remastered sometimes, but never truly match the sound in the room that night.

I saw hendrix and cream etc, and really, as much as guitarists want to attain that tone, you have to:
    1. Get a bunch of marshall stacks turned to 10
    2 Get any overdrive pedal, on 10
    3 play with more reckless abandon and viruosity and charismatic energy than you ever thought possible.
    4 WEAR earplugs, like MIG says.

I know a lot of hard of hearing musicians! I don't know HOW I escaped that!

A good example of this is Hendrix at Woodstock. He appologises after every song and it was a phenominal performance but people couldn't hear the vocals very well at the show. We've come a long way on PA's baby.

A huge part of the tone that people lust for is found in an over driven amplifier. Combine it with a perfect fuzz face and a shitload of talent you have hendrix. Marshall Blues breaker (JTM 45 in a combo version) add a 59 les paul and a sola sound tone bender. Clapton, Cream era (woman) tone
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    A good example of this is Hendrix at Woodstock. He appologises after every song and it was a phenominal performance but people couldn't hear the vocals very well at the show. We've come a long way on PA's baby.

Credit the Stones for bringing the best there was for sound every time they toured. Then Kudos to Pink Floyd for always wanting the best.
    A huge part of the tone that people lust for is found in an over driven amplifier. Combine it with a perfect fuzz face and a shitload of talent you have hendrix. Marshall Blues breaker (JTM 45 in a combo version) add a 59 les paul and a sola sound tone bender. Clapton, Cream era (woman) tone

You have to have the pick attack and confidence in the hands to get there, too. Clapton used that stuff for Bluesbreakers. On stage later for cream, he had all kinds of guitars, and Marshall stacks. On stage, he would change guitars, but in reality you could barely tell the difference in sound.

He backed off on a wah pedal a lot for that tone, too. Zappa, also.

My favorite guitarist ever is Buddy Guy.
    Hendrix and Clapton got from him.

He just plays a Strat and a bunch of Fender bassmans for the most part. He's on tour now, and is a great show. My favorite tone.
    Be kind, man
    You have to have the pick attack and confidence in the hands to get there, too. Clapton used that stuff for Bluesbreakers. On stage later for cream, he had all kinds of guitars, and Marshall stacks. On stage, he would change guitars, but in reality you could barely tell the difference in sound.

He backed off on a wah pedal a lot for that tone, too. Zappa, also.

My favorite guitarist ever is Buddy Guy.
    Hendrix and Clapton got from him.

He just plays a Strat and a bunch of Fender bassmans for the most part. He's on tour now, and is a great show. My favorite tone.

yeah I love that tone too.

I Clapton used some Selmers for a while too I think and Supro's among others. Vox's etc.

That half cocked wah sound is cool. Buddy Guy is a badass.

I love the strat or LP espescially ES-335 for that matter into the mid 60's Blackface Fender Super Reverbs. Damn I love blues. I wish I could hang with BB King for one day. The old bassman tone is so cool and I love the look of laquered tweed. One day perhaps I'll have a rig with a bassman on one side and a Super Reverb on the other.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    yeah I love that tone too.

I Clapton used some Selmers for a while too I think and Supro's among others. Vox's etc.

That half cocked wah sound is cool. Buddy Guy is a badass.

I love the strat or LP espescially ES-335 for that matter into the mid 60's Blackface Fender Super Reverbs. Damn I love blues. I wish I could hang with BB King for one day. The old bassman tone is so cool and I love the look of laquered tweed. One day perhaps I'll have a rig with a bassman on one side and a Super Reverb on the other.

I have an alligator like skin- covered Selmer Tru Voice and cabinet. It is the closest thing to those old Marshalls and Bassmen? Bassmans? Aah whatever.
    One of my all time favorites!
    Be kind, man
    Marshall Blues breaker (JTM 45 in a combo version) add a 59 les paul and a sola sound tone bender. Clapton, Cream era (woman) tone

Some people debate whether the Blues Breakers that Clapton played on were actually the early 4 x 10" combo, not the later 2 x 12" combo (they looked exactly the same from the front). I like to think it was the 4 x 10"...
  • Options
    Some people debate whether the Blues Breakers that Clapton played on were actually the early 4 x 10" combo, not the later 2 x 12" combo (they looked exactly the same from the front). I like to think it was the 4 x 10"...

I don't know, it's a friggin great guitarist and tone. He coulda plugged in to any variety of amps at that time and still created the music. If it was a 57 les paul or a 1992 SG. Still would have been great.
    Just turn it up and stand back!
    Be kind, man

something I didn't know. Makes sense though many of the supros and Selmers used 10"s

but your're right WPJ It wouldn't really matter Clapton is so good he could probably get some sembelence of his tone from just about any amp and guitar he chose.
  • Options
    something I didn't know. Makes sense though many of the supros and Selmers used 10"s

but your're right WPJ It wouldn't really matter Clapton is so good he could probably get some sembelence of his tone from just about any amp and guitar he chose.

If you ever hear any renowned guitarist backstage in the tuning/warm up room, they're playing into a tiny practice amp, they sound like themselves. Carlos Santana just tuning up with a tiny Crate amp sounds amazingly like Carlos Santana wailing on stage. There's that finger vibrato, the pick attack, the timing that has a lot to do with what sets them apart.
    Be kind, man
    If you ever hear any renowned guitarist backstage in the tuning/warm up room, they're playing into a tiny practice amp, they sound like themselves. Carlos Santana just tuning up with a tiny Crate amp sounds amazingly like Carlos Santana wailing on stage. There's that finger vibrato, the pick attack, the timing that has a lot to do with what sets them apart.

shhh. I can get that sound if I buy thier gear and Santa Claus is real. :)
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    shhh. I can get that sound if I buy thier gear and Santa Claus is real. :)

i have lead fingers i swear. i know i can get the tone. i did once. for like two seconds. i know i can do it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i have lead fingers i swear. i know i can get the tone. i did once. for like two seconds. i know i can do it.

The closest I ever got to John Lennon's tone was when The Beatles first came out and my friends and I had beatles wigs on and broomsticks for guitars
    Be kind, man
    The closest I ever got to John Lennon's tone was when The Beatles first came out and my friends and I had beatles wigs on and broomsticks for guitars

What, you didn't go out and buy a Rickenbacker 360 and a Vox Super Beatle? Geez...

Really, the best justification I have for spending so damned much on so much gear, is that I hope to own a studio and have a good backline supply. It's at least an honest reason to need so much stuff...

RE: Clapton and the Blues Breaker... I agree, the playing is the important thing there, not the amp, the tubes, the speakers, the cables, the pickups, ad infinitum... I was just referencing the historical difficulty people have had trying to get Clapton tone out of the 2 x 12" Blues Breakers. It's seen as the holy grail of good Clapton tone... for good reason... Really, the first JTM45 amps and Blues Breaker combos were just Jim Marshall's blatant copy of the tweed Bassman. Both are phenomenal amps.

But like I said earlier, good gear is no excuse for bad playing.
  • Options
    What, you didn't go out and buy a Rickenbacker 360 and a Vox Super Beatle? Geez...]

Well, I was 10 or 11 at the time. I waited till I had money from a paper route to by my first. My 57 goldtop for about 2 or 3 hundred bucks. Boy am I glad I still have that one!

But like I said earlier, good gear is no excuse for bad playing.

You are completely right. Sorry, I wasn't slamming you for the bluesbreaker thing. That has been the question for a long time!

Here's a Pina Colada!

My Selmer has a lot of that tone. Allegedly that was the basis for the Bassman/ Bassmen/ bassmans. You can find Selmers at a pretty reasonable price , too. I love the cheesy faux alligator skin!
    Be kind, man
    You are completely right. Sorry, I wasn't slamming you for the bluesbreaker thing. That has been the question for a long time!

Here's a Pina Colada!

My Selmer has a lot of that tone. Allegedly that was the basis for the Bassman/ Bassmen/ bassmans. You can find Selmers at a pretty reasonable price , too. I love the cheesy faux alligator skin!

You keep waving that goldtop 57 LP under my nose... it's damn near cruel! I watched the U2 DVD from Slane Castle a couple nights ago... the Edge had a damned nice goldtop LP (probably a reissue, or a standard LP in gold bullion). I want one! Although I want a reissue... like you, I'd never want to play the original. Worth too much!

Hey, we can at least agree on hearing protection...

I have been looking for a Sovtek Mig head, which is the Russian copy of the JTM 45. I think it's funny that the Russians copied the Brits, when the Brits really just copied Leo Fender in the first place... Besides, it's Russian... how cool is a Cold War-era Russian-made guitar amp?

I'll have to go looking for a Selmer amp now... see what that's all about. So they pre-date the Bassman?
  • Options

Hey, we can at least agree on hearing protection...

I have been looking for a Sovtek Mig head, which is the Russian copy of the JTM 45. I think it's funny that the Russians copied the Brits, when the Brits really just copied Leo Fender in the first place... Besides, it's Russian... how cool is a Cold War-era Russian-made guitar amp?

I'll have to go looking for a Selmer amp now... see what that's all about. So they pre-date the Bassman?

Those Sovteks were all over a couple of years ago. They are friggin great. I played several of them. I never owned one.

I can't believe I just found the exact Selmer head I have.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2576784760&category=10171&rd=1

I have a matching 2 x 12 cabinet.
    I guess it's faux croc skin
    Be kind, man
    I can't believe I just found the exact Selmer head I have.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2576784760&category=10171&rd=1

I have a matching 2 x 12 cabinet.
    I guess it's faux croc skin

That looks like a Marshall Plexi... how does the sound compare? What speakers are in the cabinet? I'll say this... sure as hell looks nice...
  • Options
    This is the same thing as my Marshall...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2578173238&category=38075

It's been in the shop for a couple months with transformer problems. My tech just farmed it out to a guy in Spokane, though, so hopefully it will get fixed and back to me soon. My tech is a friend, and I work with him on various projects, so this is more of a favor... I don't think I would let any other repair man take so long with one of my babies! I may just re-sell this when I get it back, though, to finance the Sovtek... haven't decided yet.
  • Options
    Bluesbreaker style. Old Bassman. It's the closest I've ever seen to that sound.
    Mine still has original mullard tubes. I think that's good. : )

I don't even know the original brand of speaker, I have Celestions in there now. I know you'll want the type,,,, I think Greenbacks, but might be 30's.. I unscrew the 100's of screws and look next time I run across it! It's a close cab.
    Be kind, man
    Mine still has original mullard tubes. I think that's good. : )

I don't even know the original brand of speaker, I have Celestions in there now. I know you'll want the type,,,, I think Greenbacks, but might be 30's.. I unscrew the 100's of screws and look next time I run across it! It's a close cab.

Oh, and it's 240 volt. So I have a bigass step up transformer for it.
    Be kind, man
    Oh, and it's 240 volt. So I have a bigass step up transformer for it.

Holy crap! Unplug the clothes dryer to use the guitar amp!

I admit: I'm a speaker junkie. If they're Greenbacks or Vintage 30's, though, I get the picture... very nice. If I ever had to use 12" speakers, they would be either Celestion Greenbacks or Vintage 30's. In fact, I need to replace my G12-75 in my Marshall with a Greenback once I get it back... too much clean headroom! It's like, "Break up already!"
  • Options
    Oh, and I found this... you might have already seen it, but if you haven't, it might be a good site to browse through...
    http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/gallery3/selm.html
  • Options
    Holy crap! Unplug the clothes dryer to use the guitar amp!

I admit: I'm a speaker junkie. If they're Greenbacks or Vintage 30's, though, I get the picture... very nice. If I ever had to use 12" speakers, they would be either Celestion Greenbacks or Vintage 30's. In fact, I need to replace my G12-75 in my Marshall with a Greenback once I get it back... too much clean headroom! It's like, "Break up already!"

This thing breaks up easily. Tone galore.
    I just plug into the regular wall outlet though. I should try the dryer though. It's a gas dryer though. That might mess up the house! Talk about smoking an amp!

I haven't seen that site for a while. Thanks man

This is my exact set
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/selmer/speakers/spk24.html
    Be kind, man

I would be frightened of running that thing with the step-up transformer. I'd probably get a Lansing 120-volt tranny... I'm anal, I don't like to live on the edge. I can see why you might have fried a few amps in your day! ;)

Freshen up your pina colada for you?
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    The Sovtek Mig 50's would be a good pair with that cab. at $250 it's not to expensive either used. Theres always the Yamaha/Soldano T50-100 too.

Id go for the Mig!!!
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    Originally posted by El_Kabong
    Id go for the Mig!!!

Ah... another Mig fan! Welcome, friend...
  • Options
    Good lookin' rig! Serious mojo there... history, character, warts and all...

I would be frightened of running that thing with the step-up transformer. I'd probably get a Lansing 120-volt tranny... I'm anal, I don't like to live on the edge. I can see why you might have fried a few amps in your day! ;)

Freshen up your pina colada for you?

Thanks for the Pina colada, but I know if I want to drink any more when I'm operating a 240 volt amp! Unless I play with rubber electrician's gloves.

Now that I think of it, That's the only brand amp I haven't smoked!
    Be kind, man