drummers

grungerockgrungerock Posts: 17
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
who are the drummers on the pj board? do you play in a band? what kind of set do you have? what kind of music do you play?

i have a couple of guys i jam with, not sure you could call us a band yet, i have a double bass pearl export series, and we play alternative/rock
"born on third, thinks he got a triple"

"hey thats mike mccready, he just walked by me, mike mccready just walked by me, that was fuckin mike mccready, jesus christ"-Eddie, 7/22/98

www.phishhook.com/lists/pjfan03
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• come on...not everybody here is a guitarist right?

"hey thats mike mccready, he just walked by me, mike mccready just walked by me, that was fuckin mike mccready, jesus christ"-Eddie, 7/22/98

• im a drummer...i have a mapex mars series kit and we're working on getting a pj cover band together...that reminds me, is anyone interested in singing or playing drums for a pj band in the chicago area?
    The Dollars
    www.thedollars.net

facebook.com/greendaytribute

GO GO WHITE SOX!! 2005 CHAMPS!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage
  • i would if i lived there

• actaloactalo Posts: 29
    Drums are expensive and multi-task oriented...
  • I'm a drummer, and I play for a rock band. I have a Tama Starclassic Performer in walnut red, and some nice Zildjian A's and K's.
    And, for the record: Drums are the funnest instrument one can play.
  • yes drums are very expensive, truer words were never spoken, but its true they are also the most fun instrument to play to, or maybe im just biased, of course everyone thinks they can play drums, they sit down on the kit..pick up the sticks..hit a couple of toms, a snare here, some cymbals, they quickly find out they cant play shit

• FlipsFlips Posts: 27
    I have a Tama SwingStar kit in a kind of electric blue colour, I think the real name for it is Lake Shore Blue, The Swing Star is the original model from around 1985/1986, this was my practice kit and I also have a Tama Starclassic Perfomer in Dark Blue, some Zildjian A's and a pair of Sabian Hand Hammered 13" hi Hats, very nice kit, I used this kit for Gigging and Recording, I speak in the past tense here because I left my band in January of this year and haven't really played the drums properly since then, So I have a kit stacked up at home and one stacked up at my folks. I should really get back into the swing of things but just don't have the time nor space to set my kit up and play
    Twenty years from now you will be
    more disappointed by the things that
    you didn’t do than by the ones you did
    do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail
    away from the safe harbor. Catch the
    trade winds in your sails. Explore.
    Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
  • I am.. but unfortunately had to sell my kit a few years ago when money was tight. Now that i'm well on my feet, i'd like to buy another one. I'm 24 now, and i've been playing since i was 15. I still get to use various kits around the place, so as not to lose anything. I miss playing often though, it was the best way to relieve stress. I've still got the drumstick Chad Smith handed to me after a RHCP concert in brisbane, in '96.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • chad smiths drumstick? thats awesome, sometimes ill play everyday for a week straight, other times ill only play when the other guys come over to jam, and just go from session to session, doesnt really matter, i forgot to mention i have a zildjian a crash, a sabian aax ride, and then a shitty pair of high hats i got when i bought my first kit along with another shitty crash cymbal, im tryin to upgrade, but money is tight

• I drum on my desk at work, and people get pissed... cause i cant drum for shit.
    "Esther's here and she's sick... hi Esther, now we're all going to be sick, thanks." EV Palace of Auburn Hills 10-7-00
  • Drummer Here

I play in 2 bands (Takes all my spare time)

One band is an alt-rock / cover band. Which I play a basic 5 pc. Old Rogers kit, with 2 Zildjian A crash cymbals, 14" hh, and 20" ride.

Other band is heavy metal. I play on a Pearl Export 9 pc. 2x bass, same cymbals as above with the addition of 10" splash, and 3rd Zildian Crash w/ rivets.

I'll admit, drums are one expensive instrument. But once you own your kit (or 2) sticks and heads are all you need. Average annual cost per kit= $200

Also I want to ask anyone if they've ever used the DrumDial tuner? http://www.drumdial.com/ I purchased this handy tool this past July, I love it! Tunes all drums quickly and easily.
    05/02/03 Buffalo, NY
    10/01/04 Reading, PA
    09/19/05 Toronto, Ontario
    05/12/06 Albany, NY
    06/11/08 West Palm Beach, FL
  • thats the kind of thing i need, although ive never played live, i have a lot of trouble tuning

• What's even more expensive is playing the drums AND the guitar......very hard to balance the money put into both....time too :(
  • lnfobnlnfobn Posts: 370
    I'm a drummer... been playing for six years, and right now, don't have my own set. My other one... long story what happened to it, but it was a Yamaha one with Zildjian cymbals.

Any other female drummers around here?
    Hey, reckless mind,
    Don't throw away your playful beginnings...
  • I'm a drummer... 25 (god damn i am getting old already)... Philly area... I play a grey Tama GranStar II (think of Lar's kit from Justice days) with Zildjians... the best ;) I am currently building a basement studio so if anyone wants to form a PJ cover band or Tool-esque original band and can kick ass with their instrument... let me know, k? rock on.

P.S. don't ever pawn all of your cymbals to buy an engagement ring... DUMB DUMB DUMB lol
    "They have the internet on computers now!" -- Homer Simpson
  • Im a drummer in the baltimore area...been playing the set since i was 8 now im 17. I use dw drums and i'm in a band and have played with many people since i've started.
  • what was the first song yall ever leraned? for me, i think it was brain stew, ha, it was the first easy one i found

• my first song was cream - sunshine of your love
  • My fist song learned: Come as you are - Nirvana.
  • i konw that one too space monkey, good song

• where are you from grungerock?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • st louis

• I have a Sonor Force 2001 kit set up as a 4-piece. 20" x 18" kick, 10" x 8" rack tom, 14" x 16" floor tom, 14" x 5.5" wood snare, 14" hats, 16" and 18" crashes, 20" ride. Bought it as a package deal for $1300. My A guitar cost me $700, my amp cost $400, and my cabinet cost $300. Total guitar rig: $1400. My bass cost me $200, amp cost $175, cab cost $200. Total bass rig: $575. My bass rig kicks ass, by the way, I just bought stuff used when I found awesome deals.

Just for comparison.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • a bump for all the drummers out there

• just one more bump...

• i play drums looking for a band http://www.silentvirtue.com
    05/02/03 Buffalo, NY
    10/01/04 Reading, PA
    09/19/05 Toronto, Ontario
    05/12/06 Albany, NY
    06/11/08 West Palm Beach, FL
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    I have been playing drums for 2 1/2 years. Currently, I play Yamaha drums (natural finish- kind of like my homage to Matt Cam), and Zildjian cymbals (Z Custom, A and A custom). I am also a proud owner of a DW 9000 single pedal (double chain). My snare drum of choice (for now, at least) is a Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14".
  • Originally posted by EBowie
    I have been playing drums for 2 1/2 years. Currently, I play Yamaha drums (natural finish- kind of like my homage to Matt Cam), and Zildjian cymbals (Z Custom, A and A custom). I am also a proud owner of a DW 9000 single pedal (double chain). My snare drum of choice (for now, at least) is a Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14".

I have that exact same Ludwig snare. I got it with a used crappy beginner's drumkit (Westbury drums). Anyways, that was the only decent drum that came with it, and I bet that the guy who sold it to me didn't realize how good it was because this thing is real old and the chrome finish is all flaking off. It's a nice drum though, but my snare of choice is a sweet birch Tama Starclassic 14"x5.5."

What type of Yamaha drums are those that you have (stage custum, recording custom, etc.) and what sizes? And while you're at it, what are the specifics to those cymbals too?
  • It occurred to me that I didn't really give the specifics of my kit either. So for the record:

Ludwig Suprahponic 14"x5" snare

Tama Starclassic Performer:
    14"x5" snare
    22"x18" beast-of-a-bass-drum
    12"x10" and 13"x11" toms
    16"x16" floor tom

Zildjian cymbals:
    14" K hi-hats
    10" K splash
    19" A Medium-thin crash (my favourite crash ever)
    20" K ride
    19" Z Medium crash
    21" A sweet ride
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    The specs: Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage, split lugs, natural finish, w/10", 12", 14", 16" toms, 17x22" bass, and a Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14" snare (the kit came w/a matching wood snare, but I prefer my Ludwig). Cymbals-all Zildjian- 14" A New Beat hi-hats, 21" A Sweet Ride, 17" A Medium Crash, 18" Z Custom Rock Crash, and a 10" A Custom Splash.