*** Boston, MA 2 Fanviews Here 9.17.24 ***

124»

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,145
    Been to all six Fenway shows and this was definitely near or at the top. The weather was perfect and the crowd was awesome.The whole band sounds so tight and the new songs flow perfectly in the set. Immortality, Present Tense and Fuckin' Up were highlights for me. Also pretty cool to hear Untitled. I feel like they could have squeezed ONE more song in before that 10:30 cutoff, but it would have been tight. Overall, I thought the set was great.

Kind of a weird moment toward the end of the show. Theo came down to the pit during the encore with Sam Kennedy, David Ross and others. I shook Theo's hand and said thanks for making this happen. I snapped a pic of them and he gave me the finger and told me to "fuck off" which was...unexpected. But he did once dress up in a gorilla suit to avoid press and on at least 2 occasions wear a wig, hat and mustache to Boston PJ shows to go unrecognized so clearly he prefers being incognito.

Also as a side note, I am going on 2 years sober and these were my first PJ shows in my life not drinking and it's strange to admit, but I was kind of nervous about it. But wow, I actually enjoyed it so much more. Not having to worry about bathroom breaks, getting another round, getting home, spending money. I just focused solely on the music which made the night so good.
    Glad you had fun! I have found the shows are always so much better without drinking. The memories are so much clearer, too.

Theo was shitfaced drunk, no doubt. Spilled some of his beer onto my shoulder and the rest onto the ground right behind me. Annoying, but a funny story to tell going forward. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,341
    JimmyV said:
    Been to all six Fenway shows and this was definitely near or at the top. The weather was perfect and the crowd was awesome.The whole band sounds so tight and the new songs flow perfectly in the set. Immortality, Present Tense and Fuckin' Up were highlights for me. Also pretty cool to hear Untitled. I feel like they could have squeezed ONE more song in before that 10:30 cutoff, but it would have been tight. Overall, I thought the set was great.

Kind of a weird moment toward the end of the show. Theo came down to the pit during the encore with Sam Kennedy, David Ross and others. I shook Theo's hand and said thanks for making this happen. I snapped a pic of them and he gave me the finger and told me to "fuck off" which was...unexpected. But he did once dress up in a gorilla suit to avoid press and on at least 2 occasions wear a wig, hat and mustache to Boston PJ shows to go unrecognized so clearly he prefers being incognito.

Also as a side note, I am going on 2 years sober and these were my first PJ shows in my life not drinking and it's strange to admit, but I was kind of nervous about it. But wow, I actually enjoyed it so much more. Not having to worry about bathroom breaks, getting another round, getting home, spending money. I just focused solely on the music which made the night so good.
    Glad you had fun! I have found the shows are always so much better without drinking. The memories are so much clearer, too.

Theo was shitfaced drunk, no doubt. Spilled some of his beer onto my shoulder and the rest onto the ground right behind me. Annoying, but a funny story to tell going forward. 

What a great pic. Says it all. I cannot stand drunks at shows and this new epidemic of talkers. Wtf is going on with people. 
  • JimmyV said:

Yes! Actually remembering the show is another one. And that's an awesome pic haha.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,227
    edited September 19
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:

What a great pic. Says it all. I cannot stand drunks at shows and this new epidemic of talkers. Wtf is going on with people. 
    Fenway N2 there was a guy standing in the aisle the entire night next to my wife & kept trying to talk to us for no other reason than I guess that's what he does. 

I didn't tell him off per se, but after the 3rd time of me annoyingly asking "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?" he left us alone and proceeded to talk to the people behind him... I had to plug my left ear to drown out their yelling over the music. This was 10C seating mind you. 

Shut the f up & watch the show, people. 

BTW - Great pic, Jimmy. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,341
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:

Fenway N2 there was a guy standing in the aisle the entire night next to my wife & kept trying to talk to us for no other reason than I guess that's what he does. 

I didn't tell him off per se, but after the 3rd time of me annoyingly asking "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?" he left us alone and proceeded to talk to the people behind him... I had to plug my left ear to drown out their yelling over the music. This was 10C seating mind you. 

BTW - Great pic, Jimmy. 
    I’ll never understand people on so many levels. But yapping loudly over songs at a concert….. it just drives me absolutely insane. 
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    edited September 19
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:

BTW - Great pic, Jimmy. 
    I’ll never understand people on so many levels. But yapping loudly over songs at a concert….. it just drives me absolutely insane. 
    My general feeling is that people don't realize how disruptive they're being or how loud they even are until it happens to them. Set talkers ruined this tour for me. Literally all 4 shows I went to... May not ever see this band perform again if this is to be the norm and I can't even tune into what's happening on stage. I spoke up to the people behind me at this one, but was literally shaking from the confrontation I had with them. I was straight up ready to put my hands up and take a punch if it meant security would take them out and I could hear the band finally. Waited 2 years for this? SMH.
  • JimmyV said:

LOL!  That's me with my arms crossed, side-eyeing Sam Kennedy.  Those guys came in hot during the encore. They got right in front of myself and another couple. They were being a little douchey until a woman next to me basically told them to fuck off and get away because they were killing the vibe lol.  Good times
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:

BTW - Great pic, Jimmy. 
    I'm always amazed at people that will either sit down when a new song is played or talk/leave their seat when something stunning like Rats or In Hiding starts.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • PJADED12PJADED12 Posts: 18
    edited September 19
    WOW....A massive thank you to nocode4 and PJNB for securing the best seats in the Park for us. A4 rail dead center. THANK YOU

The show 

My 31st and my 14yo Daughter's 1st. What can I say, she's ruined for life....

To start with Small Town, one of her favorites was fantastic,  then to get Daughter in the 3 hole was absolutely overwhelming,  I had tears streaming down the cheeks. 

Then to get Animal which was the 1st song she learned the words to was surreal. 

I thought maybe they made this setlust just for her. But then they started playing songs for good old dad . Save You was phenomenal and absolute fire.

Immortality...Please every day all day 

Corduroy,  React Respond,  Running had the crowd in a frenzy, then they played the 1 song my daughter wanted to hear. Not For You. Unbelievable 

If your a fan of wreckege you can skip this part. I was @ MSG 1&2 and was hoping that once I heard it live it would change my mind about it the same way it did for Dissident and Pilate back in the day. It didn't.  I felt it ruined the flow of the shows. Anyway so when it was played after Not 4 you, I thought well maybe this is just not for me...like I said earlier, dead center A4, the people I could see in the pit and all around me seemed to have the same thoughts on it. No big deal , just don't think it should be played EVERY show.

The run after that was incredible,  Untitled into a top 3 song for me in Present Tense was fantastic.

Won't tell I absolutely adore

SuperBlood WolfMoon with the full moon was quite something 

Once. Black, F'in Up and Porch  my favorite song to close the set 

What else could u ask for

I have now seen Patriot 6 times, still love it as it was a show closer for me @ my 1st show in Augusta 96

Ed & Glen have man crushes on each other.Really loved the duet

Then they kicked our ass again from here on out.

Top 3 show for me for sure, I can tell you when ranking shows they really depend on who your with and where your seats are in determining the order.

Top 3 shows

49 song Gem @ Great Woods or whatever it's called now

Halifax to the Max

This show

#4 hopefully the next one I'm at

We are so lucky to have this band in our lives

Thank You 

P earl
    J am
    A ll
    D ay 
    E very
    D ay

Peace out

Post edited by PJADED12 on
    Expecting perfection leaves a lot to ignore
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,227
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:

BTW - Great pic, Jimmy. 
    I'm always amazed at people that will either sit down when a new song is played or talk/leave their seat when something stunning like Rats or In Hiding starts.
    Another reason Arenas >>> Stadiums.

A lot fewer casuals. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,145
    JimmyV said:

LOL!  That's me with my arms crossed, side-eyeing Sam Kennedy.  Those guys came in hot during the encore. They got right in front of myself and another couple. They were being a little douchey until a woman next to me basically told them to fuck off and get away because they were killing the vibe lol.  Good times

Ha! I was wondering if you were someone in the club. The look of annoyance you are giving is classic! They completely deserved the scorn and contempt.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,447
    So at the time I wrote my last review for Philly N2, I was deep in the throes of post-tour blues. I had an incredible run at MSG and Philly, but then unfortunately had to pull out of what was supposed to be my final show of the tour, Baltimore, at the last minute because “life happens.” I’m not gonna lie, I was pretty bummed that my tour had ended earlier than expected (or so I thought). It did not occur to me at all at that point that my tour might not actually be over. But then at the beginning of this week—just as I was beginning to adjust back to “real life”—something incredible happened. An amazing friend and all-around incredible human was able to get me a GA for Fenway N2. It was an incredibly generous gesture, but at first, I really didn’t think I was going to be able to make it work with work, the kids, etc. But then on Monday, amazingly the stars aligned—and there was literally a lunar eclipse over Fenway the following night, more on that below—and I was able to make a last-minute trip to Boston. It was like the universe was telling me that I was never supposed to attend the Baltimore show, and I was always supposed to attend the tour closer at Fenway instead. The universe works in mysterious ways indeed. So after I finished work and put the kids to bed that night, around 8:30 I quickly packed a bag, got in the car, and made the almost 5 hour drive up to Boston. It was the shortest trip I have ever made to Boston, as I was there for only just over 24 hours, but it was by far the most memorable. 

I arrived in Boston around 1:15 a.m. and went straight to the GA line to line up. I set up a tent, got a few hours of sleep, and then woke up early and was running on nothing but adrenaline—and caffeine, lots and lots of caffeine—for the rest of the day. I ran into a lot of friends on the GA and merch lines who I didn’t even know were going to be there, since I didn’t even have time to tell anyone I was going since it was such a last-second decision. It was a beautiful day in Boston, and it was such a nice way to spend the day catching up with old friends and making new ones before the show. Like I’ve said before, for me it’s as much about the amazing community of people as it is about the music. And it was through this incredible community that I was able to get a last-minute ticket and make the trip. 

Now on to the show itself. I’d been to three prior Fenway shows, all of which I’d also really enjoyed, but I’d never been down on the turf before. Stepping foot on the field at Fenway was a really special experience for me. You can literally feel the history in the building, and being down on the field provided a radically different perspective than my prior seats in the field boxes and grandstand. It was cool getting to look up at the green monster from down on the field. And I thought it was really cool the way they walked us in from the first base line down to the rail in center field. I always really enjoy the GA walk-in process; after the hours and hours of waiting in line, this is always the point at which I become outright giddy. The way I describe it to people who haven’t done it before is no matter how many times I’ve done it, each time I feel like a kid going to Disney World for the first time. And getting to do the walk-in on the turf at Fenway was my favorite walk-in of all time. And I ended up on an amazing spot on the rail right in front of Mike. 

If Philly N1 was the double rainbow show, then this was the lunar eclipse show. It was a beautiful night at Fenway with literally perfect weather. And there was a full moon and a partial lunar eclipse over Fenway during the show. Need I say more? Clearly this was an omen for another really special show. The crowd energy was great with the pit—and the entire stadium—rocking out all night long. The crowd brought it and everyone was belting out every word of every song loud. It was amazing turning around from the rail periodically throughout the show and seeing 40,000 people singing along as they blasted through the hits. And the band was on fire again as they’ve been all tour. Ed was in a great mood and appeared to be really happy and grateful to be closing out the US tour at Fenway. I know a lot of people tend to complain about the ballpark shows since they’re huge and from most of the seats you spend the entire time watching on the screens, but there’s a reason they keep playing them—Ed has a lifelong love of baseball and feels a special connection to these places, especially Wrigley and Fenway. And I think Ed’s love of the sport and connection to these stadiums comes across during the shows. And on a personal note, I probably appreciated this show more than any other show I have attended before since I thought my tour was over and had no idea I would be attending until the day before the show. It felt like a bonus show for me, and I was extremely grateful to have the opportunity to attend one more show—and not just any show, but the tour closer in such an iconic venue. 

I’ve seen some complaints that the setlist was too hit-heavy, but personally I thought it was great. The hits are the hits for a reason—they’re the songs that got us all into PJ in the first place. And while a lot of us on here are die-hards who have seen the band a number of times, at each show there are also many people who are seeing PJ for the first time. All of those people would leave very disappointed if they did not hear Even Flow, Alive, DTE, etc. So the band has to play at least a handful of hits each night to satisfy the more casual fans. And when they did, the massive Fenway crowd ate them up. And while the show started off somewhat hit-heavy, I thought that overall it was a very well designed setlist that balanced the hits with deeper cuts for the die-hards like me. 

Opening with Small Town was a great way start off the evening and give everyone a chance to warm up their vocals. It was pretty amazing seeing 40,000 people all raise their hands into the air at once and shout, “I just want to scream HELLOOOOOOOOOO!” Then just when I thought they would play another one or two slower acoustic numbers to ease into the evening, they suddenly blasted right into Even Flow. I was shocked! I had never heard Even Flow that early in a show before. And the pit went nuts, with everyone jumping up and down like crazy. This is the stuff that keeps me coming back and craving for more year after year. I love when they take a song that they’ve played numerous times but then play it a little differently than in the past or do something different with it, like place it at an unexpected point in the setlist. Even though I’ve heard Even Flow a million times before, I felt like hearing it to start off the show imbued it with a newfound energy and intensity. I think I rocked out harder to Even Flow than I ever have before, even the first time I saw it at my first show back in ‘06. The feeling I had when they busted it out so early in the show reminded me of how I felt when they opened with Indifference at St. Paul N1 last year. It’s amazing how differently the same song can hit depending on where it is placed in the setlist. And Mike absolutely shredded the solo. This was a Mike night through and through—he was simply on fire. 🎸🔥  I felt like he was a man possessed and delivered one blistering solo after another all night long. And I was in literally the perfect spot standing directly in front of Mike on the rail. I probably spent half the show with my mouth wide open just staring at Mike in awe. I really hope my face didn’t appear on the big screen during any of those moments lol. And I’m lucky that my face didn’t literally melt off before the end of the show. But it was mesmerizing watching him shred solo after solo right in front of me over the course of those two and a half hours. 

The trifecta of Animal—Save You—Immortality was amazing. Everyone was rocking out hard during Animal, and then even harder when they went into Save You. I’m a big Riot Act fan and it doesn’t get nearly enough play these days, so I’m always super stoked whenever they play anything from it. When they busted out Save You, it was one of my favorite moments of the night. That one really rocks and I thought they crushed it. The rail went wild and everyone was screaming out the lyrics at the top of their lungs. There was a really intense energy in the pit during that one. The best part was the whole crowd clapping frantically as one during the breakdown in the middle, leading to a really intense buildup into the final verse. After Ed sang out, “Let’s pick up your soul,” it felt like the whole stadium just exploded. It was awesome! Immortality is one of my top 10 favorite PJ songs, so it is always a highlight for me. Mike’s solo during Immortality might have been my favorite one of the night. He played the whole thing with his eyes closed, and it had this ethereal, otherworldly feel to it. I don’t know where he pulls these sounds out of, but it feels like he’s channeling something from a deep, dark place. While I was watching Mike solo literally right in front of me, I felt like I was having an out-of-body experience. It was simply mesmerizing. 

I really liked them doing Running right into Not For You. I think Running really rocks live, and the entire pit was head banging along. It felt like the whole stadium was shaking during Not For You. Ed initially messed up the lyrics during the final verse (I actually rather enjoy it when Ed fumbles the lyrics) but the people on the rail were able to help him remember. Untitled into Present Tense was another highlight of the night for me. I don’t believe they’ve ever done that before. I knew what was coming next during Untitled since I saw Mike holding the guitar that he always uses for Present Tense, but I still thought it was a really cool—and different—way to introduce the song. The jam in the middle of Present Tense was awesome, with the stage lights flashing and the whole pit jumping around like mad. 

Shortly thereafter, it was finally time for the moon song. It was pretty amazing getting to look up at the full moon and partial lunar eclipse hovering over Fenway during the show. That was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I know most people were probably hoping for either Harvest Moon or Yellow Moon (either of which I would have been happy to hear as well), but I was actually super stoked to hear Superblood Wolfmoon. I thought they nailed it and it sounded better than it ever did on the Gigaton tour. And Ed finally got the lyrics right 🤣 Black a few songs later was one of the best, most emotional versions I have ever heard. It sounded like everyone in the pit was singing at the top of their lungs from deep within their souls. And Mike’s extended solo during Black may have been the best I’ve ever seen. Once again, my jaw dropped and I was simply in awe. 

Then came my favorite moment of the night. When I heard Matt start playing the opening drumbeats of Fuckin’ Up, I completely lost it. I rocked out hard all night, but I really went above and beyond for this one. I started jumping up and down when I heard Matt’s opening drumbeats, and I don’t think I stopped until the song was over (which probably explains why my calves were killing me the next day lol). This was probably the best energy in the pit all night. Everyone seemed to be losing their minds together all at once, and it was amazing. Fuckin’ Up is one of my favorite covers they do. I had been fortunate to hear it a couple of times before, but always as one of the last few songs at the end of the encore. So when they pulled it out during the main set, it literally blew my mind 🤯 This is yet another example of just how much the placement of a particular song in the setlist can determine the overall effect that it has. And the band looked like they were having a blast playing it. What an awesome moment!

Another amazing moment happened at the end of Porch. Right before the show started, a guy four or five heads back from the rail handed to the guy next to me on the rail (who was rocking out hard all night 🎸🤘), a custom double-sided #34 Walter Peyton/David Ortiz jersey. Our hope was to try to give it to Ed at some point during the show. At the end of Porch, the guy, with Tom Brady-like accuracy (yes, the Boston sports analogy is deliberate), threw a perfect spiral Ed, who caught the shirt and then displayed it on the stage. And if I remember correctly (although admittedly my memory is a bit hazy at the moment from the lack of sleep), Ed then put the jersey on at some point during the encore. It was an awesome moment! To me, it’s moments like this that make the show just as much as the music. 

Continued below …

• steven87steven87 Posts: 1,447
    I also thought the encore was great. They played a 10-song encore, and 29 songs in total, which I believe is the most songs they have played in a show since COVID. I loved that Ed opened the encore with I Am a Patriot. This is another one of my favorite covers that they perform relatively rarely. And I especially enjoy it when Ed performs it solo with just him and his guitar. I also thought it was a very appropriate song choice in light of the persistent theme of unity that Ed explored throughout this and several of the other shows on this tour. I couldn’t think of a more fitting song to hammer home Ed’s message that in these troubled times in which we are constantly bombarded with misinformation by people seeking to divide and mislead us for their own benefit, it is important to remember that despite our differences, we all as human beings have much more in common than others would have us believe, and we need to come together as one and end the division. Given the current state of our country—in which political differences are routinely devolving into shouting matches, name-calling, and even violence, and are destroying families and ruining relationships between once-close friends—the words, “I only know one party, and it is freedom,” have never held more poignancy. And live music is one of the best ways to bring people together and help remind us that we have a lot more in common than certain politicians and members of the media would have us believe. 

I was really hoping that I’d get to hear Ed and Glen perform Falling Slowly together before the end of the tour. So I was over the moon (well technically under the full moon, but you get my point; I know that wasn’t my best pun, but they can’t all land 🤣) when Glen came out and they played it. I’ve always thought it’s such a beautiful song, and the duet between Ed and Glen was amazing. One of the best parts was the way they looked at each other at the end of the song; you can tell those two have formed a really special bond over the years. I didn’t not cry 😭🤣 

Why Go got the pit bopping again, and the crowd chant at the beginning was deafening. Mike’s solo during Waiting for Stevie was incendiary. Ed came out onto the edge of the bump during Crazy Mary and interacted with the crowd and poured cups of wine. There were smiles and high fives all around. But then something pretty crazy happened toward the end of the song. Ed attempted to throw the wine bottle from the bump to someone on the rail, but the bottle ended up hitting the barricade and shattering everywhere. Thankfully no one was hurt. But I guess in retrospect, it probably would’ve been a better idea for him to hand the wine bottle off to security and have them pass it along 🍷🍾🤣 

Hearing Unthought Known with Fenway being lit up by the full moon was yet another special moment. The crowd went wild when Ed sang out, “See the path cut by the moon for you to walk on.” My path that night was the centerfield turf in Fenway, and it couldn’t have been more magical. Ed came out onto the edge of the bump again and sang along with the crowd during a rousing Alive. And then during the solo, Mike came down from the stage into the gap between the stage and the rail and played the solo right in our faces. More faces were melted; it was just incredible! Ed then ran around tossing out tambos during Baba, before closing out the night with the always emotional Yellow Ledbetter. I don’t care how many times I’ve heard it before, I’ll never get tired of it; I just think it’s the perfect way to close out a show. Ed’s tender vocals and Mike’s Hendrix-like riffs get me every time. 

As I was walking out of the show, I had mixed emotions. On the one hand, I was still buzzing with energy and excitement from the totally surreal experience I just had. I thought it was an incredible way to close out the tour. But on the other hand, I was sad that the tour was over. As I was leaving the building, I said to a friend, “Why does it ever have to end?” But then I realized something—it doesn’t. Even when the tour is over, this incredible community that PJ has cultivated persists. And the amazing friendships and memories that we have made will last forever. And I’m sure I’m gonna see my friends again real soon. I miss you already! 😀 Until next time 🎸🤘

I got a Mike pick during the pick shower toward the end of the encore (I can’t remember if it was during Alive or Baba). And then as luck would have it, I randomly found another one on the ground outside right after I left the stadium (and it was an “I,” which was the last one I needed to complete “MIKE”). See the “pick pics” below:

• nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JimmyV said:

BTW - Great pic, Jimmy. 
    Had this experience with Springsteen at Fenway N1 in '03. Played a bunch of rarities and I was in the Grandstand with people chatting away, eating popcorn, ignoring the songs. I told my buddy "I need to be down there" pointing at the PIT. Went home, kept hitting TM and there was a drop of band tix at 1AM so I was in the third row, right next to the PIT for N2.
    Mansfield, Massachusetts (July 11, 2003)
    Boston, Massachusetts (September 28, 2004)
    Boston, Massachusetts (May 25, 2006)
    Boston Night 2 (August 07, 2016)
    Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018)
    Boston Night 2 (September 04, 2018)
    Boston Night 1 (September 15, 2024)
    Boston Night 2 (September 17, 2024)

• nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,351
    i get hating on stadium shows but imagine the tears of an arena show getting shut out
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1 '21 Jersey Shore '22 MSG  '24: MSG1, MSG2
  • Fixer13Fixer13 Posts: 197
    The band sounded great and I loved the view from up in the Pavilion seats!  It was cool to see Rob Sheridan’s screen effects from a distance, too.  Had a blast pre-gaming with my PJ concert buddy, Dave, and picking up some merch before the show.  Skipped on the posters but psyched for the Boston trucker hat.  Hope they come back to New England or QC again soon.  It was a little annoying to hear so many Even Bros talking so loudly behind me throughout most of the show.  Makes me wonder why people even go to a show if all they want to do is talk for 3 hours straight.   Only other shows I’ve heard that much chatter was at the last few Wilco shows, but that’s even a stretch.  Glad I saw Glen Hansard play in Portland a few nights before so I could really enjoy his performance without much side chatter.  Highly recommend checking out Glen’s shows if you get a chance!
    "How do afford your rock 'n roll lifestyle?"- Cake
  • ragejoeragejoe Posts: 1,418
    I remember before 2016 and Fenway Iwas like a dream setting for them to play (for New Englanders at least) And then it happened and it was great. Then 2018 came and yeah, still cool, but maybe we can get back to TD (or even Worcester again lol)? And here we are 8 years later and Fenway has been the only show in town.  

I had an absolute blast these last two shows. My daughter's first PJ show night 1. I was in GA for night 2. Incredible. But I really want to get back to a Boston/New England arena show.  Let's make it happen in 2026. 
    Ha your absolutely right about how we heard the Fenway rumors from freaking 2005 on until we got it in 2016.  As much as I love the magic of them at Fenway and I do believe Tuesday was their best show since Covid and I also believe Fenway 2 2016 is a top 20 all time PJ show I love them there , however, for the people who have gotten to see them in 2013 in Worcester or someone mentioned Hartford. We are talking 10,000-13,000 rabid PJ fans in a small small building. Tuesday was show 45 for me including every Fenway show every MSG show the Spectrum shutdown and the 2003 Mansfield “experiment” and I can honestly say that the 10-25-13 Hartford civic center show (XL Center) is the greatest USA concert crowd I’ve ever witnessed…  the band was overwhelmed  by it they called it “not normal” so as much as I love Fenway. I’ll take the intimacy and crowd energy of an arena    Being in the pit for MSG last week was a bucket list moment for sure!

all that being said my tour is over doing the 4 show MSG/Fenway combo and it just felt like they got better with each show. I can not believe the consistent energy both the band and our crowds have brought this tour and I really can’t believe how Ed has just totally sung the FUCK out of every word of every song this tour   If that’s the difference cutting 15-30 minutes a night makes I’m officially OK with that even tho that took me some time to come to terms with! 

The adventures of these Setlists also has been incredible.  45 th show and I’ve been completely surprised within 5 songs for all 6 shows I’ve been too since covid. 

Sometimes I think we forget how abnormal this relationship is between ALL of us and this band.  Fenway 1 was my wife’s first actual PJ show ( she has been to Ed and earthlings with me previously). When the lights went on for the second half of Alive and RITFW she had a look on her Face ID never seen before. She was completely moved by the crowd and the energy being exchanged.    That’s how I’ve felt since I walked into Hartford on 9-13-98. 26 years and 44 shows later I am so god damn proud of the band and the relationship they allow us to have with them! 

Thanks for another insane tour/set of shows.  Can’t wait to “cya next time” 
    1998 Tour- Hartford 9/13
    2000 Tour- Saratoga 8/27 Boston 8/29, 8/30
    2003 Tour- Albany 4/29 Boston 7/2,7/3,7/11 Philadelphia 7/5,7/6 MSG 7/8,7/9
    2004 Tour-
    Boston 9/28,9/29
    2006 Tour-
    Albany 5/12 Hartford 5/13 Boston 5/24,5/25
    2008 Tour-
    MSG 6/24,6/25 Hartford 6/27 Boston 6/28,6/30 Eddie- Boston 8/1
    2009 Tour-
    Eddie- Albany 6/9 Philly Spectrum- 10/30, 10/31
    2010 Tour-
    Hartford 5/15 MSG 5/20,5/21
    2011 Tour-
    Eddie- Hartford 6/18
    2013 Tour- Worcester,MA 10/15,10/16 Hartford 10/25
    2016 Tour- MSG 5/1,5/2 FENWAY 8/5,8/7
    2018 Tour- Fenway 9/2, 9/4 (My 40th show)!
  • Fenway N1 had a slightly better set list and better tributes to Chris Cornell and Tim Wakefield. But I was in A2 for N2 so maybe I enjoyed N2 better because my seats were better but the energy N2 was incredible. Untitled, yes please!  29 songs, thank you PJ. I converted a few friends tonight, they were all mesmerized and understand now why I hustle for tix. Both Fenway shows were amazing! 
    Mansfield 1 8/29/00
    Mansfield 2 8/30/00
    Fenway 1 8/5/16
    Fenway 2 8/7/16
    Fenway 1 9/2/18
    Fenway 2 9/4/18
  • steven87 said:
    So at the time I wrote my last review for Philly N2, I was deep in the throes of post-tour blues. I had an incredible run at MSG and Philly, but then unfortunately had to pull out of what was supposed to be my final show of the tour, Baltimore, at the last minute because “life happens.” I’m not gonna lie, I was pretty bummed that my tour had ended earlier than expected (or so I thought). It did not occur to me at all at that point that my tour might not actually be over. But then at the beginning of this week—just as I was beginning to adjust back to “real life”—something incredible happened. An amazing friend and all-around incredible human was able to get me a GA for Fenway N2. It was an incredibly generous gesture, but at first, I really didn’t think I was going to be able to make it work with work, the kids, etc. But then on Monday, amazingly the stars aligned—and there was literally a lunar eclipse over Fenway the following night, more on that below—and I was able to make a last-minute trip to Boston. It was like the universe was telling me that I was never supposed to attend the Baltimore show, and I was always supposed to attend the tour closer at Fenway instead. The universe works in mysterious ways indeed. So after I finished work and put the kids to bed that night, around 8:30 I quickly packed a bag, got in the car, and made the almost 5 hour drive up to Boston. It was the shortest trip I have ever made to Boston, as I was there for only just over 24 hours, but it was by far the most memorable. 

I arrived in Boston around 1:15 a.m. and went straight to the GA line to line up. I set up a tent, got a few hours of sleep, and then woke up early and was running on nothing but adrenaline—and caffeine, lots and lots of caffeine—for the rest of the day. I ran into a lot of friends on the GA and merch lines who I didn’t even know were going to be there, since I didn’t even have time to tell anyone I was going since it was such a last-second decision. It was a beautiful day in Boston, and it was such a nice way to spend the day catching up with old friends and making new ones before the show. Like I’ve said before, for me it’s as much about the amazing community of people as it is about the music. And it was through this incredible community that I was able to get a last-minute ticket and make the trip. 

Now on to the show itself. I’d been to three prior Fenway shows, all of which I’d also really enjoyed, but I’d never been down on the turf before. Stepping foot on the field at Fenway was a really special experience for me. You can literally feel the history in the building, and being down on the field provided a radically different perspective than my prior seats in the field boxes and grandstand. It was cool getting to look up at the green monster from down on the field. And I thought it was really cool the way they walked us in from the first base line down to the rail in center field. I always really enjoy the GA walk-in process; after the hours and hours of waiting in line, this is always the point at which I become outright giddy. The way I describe it to people who haven’t done it before is no matter how many times I’ve done it, each time I feel like a kid going to Disney World for the first time. And getting to do the walk-in on the turf at Fenway was my favorite walk-in of all time. And I ended up on an amazing spot on the rail right in front of Mike. 

If Philly N1 was the double rainbow show, then this was the lunar eclipse show. It was a beautiful night at Fenway with literally perfect weather. And there was a full moon and a partial lunar eclipse over Fenway during the show. Need I say more? Clearly this was an omen for another really special show. The crowd energy was great with the pit—and the entire stadium—rocking out all night long. The crowd brought it and everyone was belting out every word of every song loud. It was amazing turning around from the rail periodically throughout the show and seeing 40,000 people singing along as they blasted through the hits. And the band was on fire again as they’ve been all tour. Ed was in a great mood and appeared to be really happy and grateful to be closing out the US tour at Fenway. I know a lot of people tend to complain about the ballpark shows since they’re huge and from most of the seats you spend the entire time watching on the screens, but there’s a reason they keep playing them—Ed has a lifelong love of baseball and feels a special connection to these places, especially Wrigley and Fenway. And I think Ed’s love of the sport and connection to these stadiums comes across during the shows. And on a personal note, I probably appreciated this show more than any other show I have attended before since I thought my tour was over and had no idea I would be attending until the day before the show. It felt like a bonus show for me, and I was extremely grateful to have the opportunity to attend one more show—and not just any show, but the tour closer in such an iconic venue. 

I’ve seen some complaints that the setlist was too hit-heavy, but personally I thought it was great. The hits are the hits for a reason—they’re the songs that got us all into PJ in the first place. And while a lot of us on here are die-hards who have seen the band a number of times, at each show there are also many people who are seeing PJ for the first time. All of those people would leave very disappointed if they did not hear Even Flow, Alive, DTE, etc. So the band has to play at least a handful of hits each night to satisfy the more casual fans. And when they did, the massive Fenway crowd ate them up. And while the show started off somewhat hit-heavy, I thought that overall it was a very well designed setlist that balanced the hits with deeper cuts for the die-hards like me. 

Opening with Small Town was a great way start off the evening and give everyone a chance to warm up their vocals. It was pretty amazing seeing 40,000 people all raise their hands into the air at once and shout, “I just want to scream HELLOOOOOOOOOO!” Then just when I thought they would play another one or two slower acoustic numbers to ease into the evening, they suddenly blasted right into Even Flow. I was shocked! I had never heard Even Flow that early in a show before. And the pit went nuts, with everyone jumping up and down like crazy. This is the stuff that keeps me coming back and craving for more year after year. I love when they take a song that they’ve played numerous times but then play it a little differently than in the past or do something different with it, like place it at an unexpected point in the setlist. Even though I’ve heard Even Flow a million times before, I felt like hearing it to start off the show imbued it with a newfound energy and intensity. I think I rocked out harder to Even Flow than I ever have before, even the first time I saw it at my first show back in ‘06. The feeling I had when they busted it out so early in the show reminded me of how I felt when they opened with Indifference at St. Paul N1 last year. It’s amazing how differently the same song can hit depending on where it is placed in the setlist. And Mike absolutely shredded the solo. This was a Mike night through and through—he was simply on fire. 🎸🔥  I felt like he was a man possessed and delivered one blistering solo after another all night long. And I was in literally the perfect spot standing directly in front of Mike on the rail. I probably spent half the show with my mouth wide open just staring at Mike in awe. I really hope my face didn’t appear on the big screen during any of those moments lol. And I’m lucky that my face didn’t literally melt off before the end of the show. But it was mesmerizing watching him shred solo after solo right in front of me over the course of those two and a half hours. 

The trifecta of Animal—Save You—Immortality was amazing. Everyone was rocking out hard during Animal, and then even harder when they went into Save You. I’m a big Riot Act fan and it doesn’t get nearly enough play these days, so I’m always super stoked whenever they play anything from it. When they busted out Save You, it was one of my favorite moments of the night. That one really rocks and I thought they crushed it. The rail went wild and everyone was screaming out the lyrics at the top of their lungs. There was a really intense energy in the pit during that one. The best part was the whole crowd clapping frantically as one during the breakdown in the middle, leading to a really intense buildup into the final verse. After Ed sang out, “Let’s pick up your soul,” it felt like the whole stadium just exploded. It was awesome! Immortality is one of my top 10 favorite PJ songs, so it is always a highlight for me. Mike’s solo during Immortality might have been my favorite one of the night. He played the whole thing with his eyes closed, and it had this ethereal, otherworldly feel to it. I don’t know where he pulls these sounds out of, but it feels like he’s channeling something from a deep, dark place. While I was watching Mike solo literally right in front of me, I felt like I was having an out-of-body experience. It was simply mesmerizing. 

I really liked them doing Running right into Not For You. I think Running really rocks live, and the entire pit was head banging along. It felt like the whole stadium was shaking during Not For You. Ed initially messed up the lyrics during the final verse (I actually rather enjoy it when Ed fumbles the lyrics) but the people on the rail were able to help him remember. Untitled into Present Tense was another highlight of the night for me. I don’t believe they’ve ever done that before. I knew what was coming next during Untitled since I saw Mike holding the guitar that he always uses for Present Tense, but I still thought it was a really cool—and different—way to introduce the song. The jam in the middle of Present Tense was awesome, with the stage lights flashing and the whole pit jumping around like mad. 

Shortly thereafter, it was finally time for the moon song. It was pretty amazing getting to look up at the full moon and partial lunar eclipse hovering over Fenway during the show. That was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I know most people were probably hoping for either Harvest Moon or Yellow Moon (either of which I would have been happy to hear as well), but I was actually super stoked to hear Superblood Wolfmoon. I thought they nailed it and it sounded better than it ever did on the Gigaton tour. And Ed finally got the lyrics right 🤣 Black a few songs later was one of the best, most emotional versions I have ever heard. It sounded like everyone in the pit was singing at the top of their lungs from deep within their souls. And Mike’s extended solo during Black may have been the best I’ve ever seen. Once again, my jaw dropped and I was simply in awe. 

Then came my favorite moment of the night. When I heard Matt start playing the opening drumbeats of Fuckin’ Up, I completely lost it. I rocked out hard all night, but I really went above and beyond for this one. I started jumping up and down when I heard Matt’s opening drumbeats, and I don’t think I stopped until the song was over (which probably explains why my calves were killing me the next day lol). This was probably the best energy in the pit all night. Everyone seemed to be losing their minds together all at once, and it was amazing. Fuckin’ Up is one of my favorite covers they do. I had been fortunate to hear it a couple of times before, but always as one of the last few songs at the end of the encore. So when they pulled it out during the main set, it literally blew my mind 🤯 This is yet another example of just how much the placement of a particular song in the setlist can determine the overall effect that it has. And the band looked like they were having a blast playing it. What an awesome moment!

Another amazing moment happened at the end of Porch. Right before the show started, a guy four or five heads back from the rail handed to the guy next to me on the rail (who was rocking out hard all night 🎸🤘), a custom double-sided #34 Walter Peyton/David Ortiz jersey. Our hope was to try to give it to Ed at some point during the show. At the end of Porch, the guy, with Tom Brady-like accuracy (yes, the Boston sports analogy is deliberate), threw a perfect spiral Ed, who caught the shirt and then displayed it on the stage. And if I remember correctly (although admittedly my memory is a bit hazy at the moment from the lack of sleep), Ed then put the jersey on at some point during the encore. It was an awesome moment! To me, it’s moments like this that make the show just as much as the music. 

Continued below …

Just wanted to note how awesome it is that this band inspires this type of missive. Rock on, my friend. 
    I'd smile, but who am I kidding?
  • TWHoltTWHolt Posts: 404
    Incredible show...MFC is my current chase, so you can imagine my excitement at hearing the notes of Untitled begin, lol...if it can't be MFC then at least it was Present Tense, but man, I was so sure I was getting it.... :disappointed:;)
    |Montreal 03|Halifax 05|St. John's 1 05|St. John's 2 05|Toronto 1 06|Toronto 2 06|NYC 1 08|NYC 2 08|Toronto 09|Hartford 10|Boston 10|Newark 10|NYC 1 10|NYC 2 10|Alpine Valley 1 11|Alpine Valley 2 11|Montreal 11|Hartford 13|Ottawa 16|Chicago 1 16|Chicago 2 16|Boston 1 18|Quebec City 22|Ottawa 22|Boston 1 24|Boston 2 24|