Options

Desert Island Gear Thread

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Okay, for everyone here... Bob (who's_pearljam?) made me think of starting this thread.

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what would you pick? Choose one guitar, one single-effect, and one amp... I'll even let you do three, one of things you own already, one of things you don't own, but are within your grasp, and one purely dreaming. You can assume you will be stranded with a generator of some sort... I'll conceed electricity (although if you would prefer your single unit to be an acoustic, that's legal). I'll get started...

Do own:
Fender Tele-Sonic -> Ibanez DM1100 Digital Delay -> 1965 Fender Vibro Champ

Don't own, but could:
Gibson Les Paul with Burstbuckers -> Keeley TS9-808 Mod -> 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Yes, I am dreaming:
1956 Gibson Les Paul -> Ibanez TS808 -> 1959 Fender Bassman
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    :D

My Taylor Acoustic

Hopefully I could borrow my favorites,, MIG's 65 reverb and ts9 808 while he was asleep!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Hopefully I could borrow my favorites,, MIG's 65 reverb and ts9 808 while he was asleep!

That's not fair, Bob. This isn't the beach. This is the desert island.
  • Options
    that I own: Fender DG CE 20. Traynor 15R 1982 bass amp. No effect.

Within grasp: American Telecaster HS with custom pickguard. Mesa Boogie f-50. American True Bypass BIG MUFF Pi.

Dreamin: Mint condition 1985 schecter saturn rigged up eddie style, The Highest end JCM marshall head and full stack. Jimi hendrix fuzz pedal (the one owned and presumably picked by him)

Theres mine
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    Originally posted by MissYouAllDay
    The Highest end JCM marshall head and full stack

JCM, huh? Any particular one?
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    do own:
    my tele -> keeley BD-2 -> DR RI

could own

dreaming

i have no imagination. but if there's only one sound i can make, this is it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i have no imagination. but if there's only one sound i can make, this is it.

Well, when you find something you like...

The difference in sound between my "Do own" and my "Wish I Owned" is pretty minimal... really, it's more vibe than sound. And my "Do Own" still has a damned nice vibe. Really. Tube vibrato. Good vibe. Get it?
  • Options
    goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    my first Alvarez classical that my ex girlfriend stomped to death. I loved that guitar & would love to have it back. That would satisfy me pretty well on an island. Maybe a sitar or somthing complicated like that. Would make the time pass quicker.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Les Paul- Barber Direct Drive- Orange AD 15/12

Fender Strat with Lindy Fralins and locking tuners. Fox Rox Captain Coconuts 2 and THD Bivalve with an assortment of tubes (Ah the joys of not choosing) into a Matamp Cab with 4 10" Weber VST's. That's doable.

Hmm, dreaming wow there's so much

Vintage gibson ES-335-Klon Centaur- 1965 "Blackface" Fender Super Reverb

Or Mint. Late 60's vintage Martin HD-28. Aged perfectly.

Or Pete Townsend SG- ZVex Super Duper into a Germino Classic 45 with a matching cab also with webbers.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Or Mint. Late 60's vintage Martin HD-28. Aged perfectly.

What about a 60's Martin D-18E?
  • Options
    d-18 is suitable as well or a D-35 with indian rosewood or D-45 with abalone inlay.

Hey Ex. Check this out. This might spark your fancy.

http://www.plexipalace.com/vox/buyit_vox.html
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    d-18 is suitable as well or a D-35 with indian rosewood or D-45 with abalone inlay.

Hey Ex. Check this out. This might spark your fancy.

http://www.plexipalace.com/vox/buyit_vox.html

The Park Bluesbreaker here is pretty sweet:

http://www.plexipalace.com/marshall/buyit_marshall.html
  • Options
    fucking looks killer too in the baby blue.

I mean who plays a park anymore you'd be individual.

This thread is fun.
  • Options
    fucking looks killer too in the baby blue.

I mean who plays a park anymore you'd be individual.

This thread is fun.

I know! It's sad, the old Parks were damn nice amps.

I'm still waiting for an Orange 4x10" guitar cab with good speakers...
  • Options
    what about a 1959 Stratocaster a Fulltone Tape Delay and a Trentino Custom
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I know! It's sad, the old Parks were damn nice amps.

I'm still waiting for an Orange 4x10" guitar cab with good speakers...

go with Matamp. Same basic design, they'll custom build it though so you can get what you want.

http://www.matamp.com
  • Options
    http://www.webervst.com/mass.html

probably need one of these eh?
  • Options
    uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    have:
    (i only have one guitar that i'm proud of) epi flying v -> mxr phase 90 -> the amp i have that i hate (i refuse to dignify that piece of crap with its proper name)

within grasp:
    gibson les paul -> ts9dx ->marshall 50w combo

one day (a guy can dream):
    '59 fender strat -> ts808 -> mesa/boogie triple recto head (better let me have a cab too)
  • Options
    go with Matamp. Same basic design, they'll custom build it though so you can get what you want.

http://www.matamp.com

Yeah, we've been over this before... not my speed.
  • Options
    Yeah, we've been over this before... not my speed.

oh right. Hey wasn't there a guy we found that builds custom cabs with whatever covering and whatever speakers you want. I think he had a weber model for around $400
  • Options
  • Options
    JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    have: D15 Martin, 57 Strat RI, Mesa F30, 1981 Chickering Baby Grand
    with in reach: 59 LP RI, CC2
    dreamin: 59 Strat, EV's Martin
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Options
    To MIG or whoever asked. I dunno. I just meant the biggest bad assed JCM head I couldn't afford. I guess a 2003 JCM 2000 TSL 100. Those are near 1600 american I figure and must be pretty nice.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    That's not fair, Bob. This isn't the beach. This is the desert island.

Sorry MIG, I misread the original. I was burnt out after being grilled in a depostion all day: Sorry for what I'm about to say:

Have: "58 LP sunburst- Prescription experience pedal- Selmer Treble n Bass " For the windy days when you need noise.

In reach: Bendetto 7 string Manhattan maple single cutaway-blue hippo chorus-old black face twin.
    For evening sunset jazz, light breeze, need to sell the 58 paul for that.

Dream: Old Martin D18 - nothing else
    For calm quiet nights.
    Be kind, man
    have: D15 Martin, 57 Strat RI, Mesa F30, 1981 Chickering Baby Grand
    with in reach: 59 LP RI, CC2
    dreamin: 59 Strat, EV's Martin

My friend has a priceless steinway grand from the 20's I believe. It's insured for $85,000 It's lovely. She lets me play her 1969 Martin D-35 when I come over as well. To say the least she's a really good piano player.

MissYouAllDay- Yeah the TSL was an amp I lusted after for a while as well. It's awesome, plus it doubles as a heater.

The Mesa Boogie Road King might be on my list too.
  • Options
    My friend has a priceless steinway grand from the 20's I believe. It's insured for $85,000 It's lovely. She lets me play her 1969 Martin D-35 when I come over as well. To say the least she's a really good piano player.

MissYouAllDay- Yeah the TSL was an amp I lusted after for a while as well. It's awesome, plus it doubles as a heater.

The Mesa Boogie Road King might be on my list too.

Our minimalist desert island is gonna be loud!

I'll bring the 300 watt svt and 8X10 cabinet for those chilly night's too! Not to plug into, but to put big ceiling paddle fan over it and it'll heat the whole island:D
    Be kind, man
  • Options
    House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Well, I like the idea...

Have, Townshend SG --> TS 808 (Maxon) --> Dr. Z Carmen Ghia, Fender 212 with V30s, with a weber mass unit.

Close, G&L ASAT Bluesboy --> straight into a Dr. Z Mazerati 212 with one Blue Dog and One Silver Bell, with a weber mass unit.

Wishin' - '65 SG Special in white (think Spinal Tap) --> straight into --> Fender Vibroking (a '58 bassman with onboard reverb and vibrato)

And a special category... from all the gear I have cycled through... if I could have it back...

My Martin D-28... wow, I wish I had kept that... and to answer the question... money was the reason I let it go.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Originally posted by House53
    Well, I like the idea...

Have, Townshend SG --> TS 808 (Maxon) --> Dr. Z Carmen Ghia, Fender 212 with V30s, with a weber mass unit.

Close, G&L ASAT Bluesboy --> straight into a Dr. Z Mazerati 212 with one Blue Dog and One Silver Bell, with a weber mass unit.

Wishin' - '65 SG Special in white (think Spinal Tap) --> straight into --> Fender Vibroking (a '58 bassman with onboard reverb and vibrato)

And a special category... from all the gear I have cycled through... if I could have it back...

My Martin D-28... wow, I wish I had kept that... and to answer the question... money was the reason I let it go.

How is the Weber Mass unit? I'm considering it. Which one did you buy?
  • Options
    House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc,

I have the 25 watt mini mass... I didn't really want the eq or di out. It is very useful and effective. It works great with my amp too, the simple layout allows me to set my tone on the amp, and then adjust the volume for practice, or turn the mass off (ie full power) for gigs.

I would recommend it for anyone who plays in an environment were they can't crank their amp, but want cranked tone.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    thank's. I'm buying the 25 watt too I don't really need the DI either.

http://www.webervst.com if anyone is interested.