The Car Thread

We All BelieveWe All Believe Posts: 585
edited July 5 in All Encompassing Trip
My lease is expiring in September. Not sure what I'll do yet, leaning towards buying my truck. Got me thinking:

How many have you had:

First:
- 1989 Geo Spectrum, red hatchback. I got a giant vinyl Yield/Pearl Jam sticker from a Yield release party, and put it on the roof. I once fit 9 people, including myself, when I drove across campus to a party at my college townhouse. The battery was held in place with twine, and a sharp turn or a big bump would disconnect it, and I'd stop immediately lol.

Favorite:
- 2018 Mercedes Benz, black, Night edition. I'm not a Benz guy, only got it because I got a FANTASTIC deal via a United Airlines Frequent Flyer program. Returned it post-lease because it was too small to keep forever (I am quite large lol). But it was the best thing I've ever driven, and it was beautiful, like something Bruce Wayne would drive. Got compliments on it constantly.

Current:
- 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee, black. Leased it brand-new, and the transmission had to be completely replaced after only 1 year, but no issues since. It has everything I want/need, but I want to go back to Mercedes, but they are not cheap lol.
May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
Post edited by We All Believe on

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    I was a GM guy...then got pissed and switched to Ford.

I currently drive a 2009 Ford Expedition. It only has 120K miles on it so I am in no hurry to get something else but it will likely be an F-150 when I do.

I was always told to stay away from Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler but we bought a 2019 Durango for my wife and have been pretty happy with it.

Dodge has a great extended warranty which we did purchase. Basically if you don't use it they give you your money back....can't argue with that.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • We All BelieveWe All Believe Posts: 585

I currently drive a 2009 Ford Expedition. It only has 120K miles on it so I am in no hurry to get something else but it will likely be an F-150 when I do.

I was always told to stay away from Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler but we bought a 2019 Durango for my wife and have been pretty happy with it.

Dodge has a great extended warranty which we did purchase. Basically if you don't use it they give you your money back....can't argue with that.
    Had a Ford Explorer years ago, loved it, drove it into the ground.

And this is my second Grand Cherokee. Drove that into the ground too, before I got the Benz. Never had any major issues with it.

Test drove a Grand Cherokee Hybrid a month or so ago. Hate the design, inside and out. That being said, I had never driven a hybrid before. It was on electric, and I stepped on the pedal pretty hard, and the only thing I heard was "Scared Of Fear" on the radio lol. It was pretty wild to be driving a car fast and not hear an engine.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,841
    Started off with an ‘86 Chrysler LeBaron convertible, then a ‘94 of the same and into a 2000 Sebring convertible. Loved all of them, particularly the Sebring. I miss my convertibles.

Family time, we moved into a Mazda 5 ‘12 and a Toyota Camry 2000.

Now have a Camry Hybrid 2014 and a Mazda 3. Love the hybrid (38 mpg) and the new Mazda is nice.

Miss my convertible though.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,812
    edited July 6
    1st car 1990 nissan 240sx… pop up lights like knight rider 😉

1st new car 1999 Honda prelude … loved this one until my whole passenger side was taken out parked in the street near my job, garbage truck rammed into it… didn’t even notify me, thank goodness for cameras

bought a gmc Acadia 2009

bought my dream car in 2015.. BMW M235!. God I loved that car so much, was gonna get the m3 but didn’t want to strap myself too much. Loved driving my cousins bmws in Croatia as a kid… I’d be 14 and tasked with getting drunk cousins home, yes @ 14… just drive back roads 🤣 I remember my cousin getting the 850 in late 90’s… big back tires, it still might be my favorite of all time

sold the bmw 😡 to buy my house, stupid adult decisions… leased an Alfa Stelvio which was a decent compromise

have A 2023 Honda Passport lease now for next 2 years

dont know what’s next, we shall see
    Post edited by CROJAM95 on
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,881
    How many have you had: 4

First: '93 Geo Storm. Lasted ahile. It was nice, for a first car. Wrecked it and had to get another one

Second: '01 Saturn SC (I forget the year and exact make/model). Used car. was alright.

Third: '09 Honda Civic. Was fine for the first 10 years then I started having major issues with it. Was pretty much worthless when I bought my next car a few years ago.

Fourth/current: '18 Hyundai Elantra SEL. So far so good. No major issues with it. Have automatic locks :lol: (My other cars didn't have them). Also have backup camera and apple carplay :smile:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,957
    We are Honda and Acura people for the past 10 years. We get a friends and family discount as we have a business relationship with Honda. I have leased three Honda sport model accords in a row and the wife has had three Acura RDXs in a row.  We just purchased the 2020 accord off lease and we will probably do the same with my wife's current RDX. Great, reliable cars. 35 mpg in the accord and about 22 mpg in the RDX. We do not need fancy cars, they are depreciating assets. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,214
    edited July 9
    How many? 11
    Cutlass Calais
    Chrysler Cordoba
    Tacoma
    Ranger
    Wrangler
    Xterra
    Civic XL
    Civic XL again
    Subaru WRX
    Ford Focus
    Current Toyota Tundra w 243,000 miles.

Dont care for current chevy and Chrysler offerings.  Almost bought the Hornet but its a piece of junk and about 25k overpriced.  I really wanted another Tundra but the price increase and only a 6cyl has me skeptical. I will most likely get the bronco full size or a 4runner next. I need the room but dont want the larger pickup anymore.  Driving into the city and parking sucks...

Fav of the above was the xterra then the Tundra.  The Wrangler was fun as it was the last year of the real jeeps, 95.  They changed everything in 97.  That thing went through rivers, sand, mountains, desert, snow.  I always had the top down and doors off.

I don't know how I forgot this one, maybe because I owned it for such a short time? Subaru WRX Tuner edition which I had some nice work done to.  In Suffolk there are weird staggered lights and I read one wrong.  Wrapped it around someone elses bumper... Owned it for 6 months only... So I didn't really have time to enjoy that one to its fullest extent.

None of the vehicles I owned were junk.  They all ran and performed nice.  Even the Focus.  I used it as a work car but it ran great.

EDIT: Forgot the WRX,,,
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on

That is interesting about the Dodge.  I have read reports that they are junk.  Nice to read a positive story about them.  The Durango has been their flagship being the Cherokee.  That Grand Wagoneer is nice but not the price...
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    I've had 14 vehicles.  In order of acquisition:
    1965 Riley 1.4  Always will be my favorite.  It look a lot like this.  SO wish I still had it!  It had leather seats, a beautiful rosewood dashboard, cool little amber lite at the end of the turn signal handle that blinked when engaged.  A lovely little car.  Basically an MG with a sedan body.
    1965 Riley 15 Catalog and Classic Car Guide Ratings and
    Late 60's VW Bug.  Blew the engine going down I-280 and about 75 MPH
    1960's Lambretta Scooter.  200cc, freeway legal!
    1965 Chevy Malibu.  My second favorite ever car!  It died when I went back east for a year.  Long story.
    Early 70s Ford Station wagon.  I total beater that got me by for awhile that I sold for $25... only the guy never paid me.
    Early 70's VW Fast Back.  Had this one back east.  With the engine in the rear, it was fun for slaloming around corners in the snow!
    Late 60's Ford Economline.  Only a 6 cylinder engine but gear to haul massive weight and built to last forever.  It still ran fine when I gave it to my brother with over 400K miles on it.
    Early 70's VW bug. Sweet little car.
    1972 (I believe) VW Bus.  That thing went where no VW bus had ever gone including some very rugged dirt roads in Death Valley.  High clearance heaven!
    1970 Chevy Luv pickup with shell.  Great for camping.  Blew the head.  Damn aluminum heads!
    Early 80s Dodge Tradesman.  This became my home for a few years during rough times.
    1980's Honda Civic AWD.  Should have kept it as a back up car.  Nice, fun little beater.
    1999 Toyota 4-Runner.  My wife's car.  I drive in once in a while but prefer my Prius.
    2008 Prius.  Still driving it after 16 years and over 200K miles.  Still getting close to 43 MPG, closer to 50 MPG on the flats.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    1965 Riley 1.4  Always will be my favorite.  It look a lot like this.  SO wish I still had it!  It had leather seats, a beautiful rosewood dashboard, cool little amber lite at the end of the turn signal handle that blinked when engaged.  A lovely little car.  Basically an MG with a sedan body.
    1965 Chevy Malibu.  My second favorite ever car!  It died when I went back east for a year.  Long story.
    Early 70s Ford Station wagon.  I total beater that got me by for awhile that I sold for $25... only the guy never paid me.
    Early 70's VW Fast Back.  Had this one back east.  With the engine in the rear, it was fun for slaloming around corners in the snow!
    Late 60's Ford Economline.  Only a 6 cylinder engine but gear to haul massive weight and built to last forever.  It still ran fine when I gave it to my brother with over 400K miles on it.
    1972 (I believe) VW Bus.  That thing went where no VW bus had ever gone including some very rugged dirt roads in Death Valley.  High clearance heaven!
    1970 Chevy Luv pickup with shell.  Great for camping.  Blew the head.  Damn aluminum heads!
    Early 80s Dodge Tradesman.  This became my home for a few years during rough times.
    1980's Honda Civic AWD.  Should have kept it as a back up car.  Nice, fun little beater.
    1999 Toyota 4-Runner.  My wife's car.  I drive in once in a while but prefer my Prius.
    2008 Prius.  Still driving it after 16 years and over 200K miles.  Still getting close to 43 MPG, closer to 50 MPG on the flats.

When the hell did Honda make an AWD civic?
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl Posts: 10,787
    I have only had two cars:

In high school I inherited by grandfather's old 1972 Dodge Dart. I drove that until I went to college.
    After college I had a 1987 Nissan Sentra. I sold it in 1995 when I moved to NYC.
    Haven't needed a car since. But I love to drive my parent's car when I visit since I rarely drive anymore.
    How many? 11
    Cutlass Calais
    Chrysler Cordoba
    Tacoma
    Ranger
    Wrangler
    Xterra
    Civic XL
    Civic XL again
    Subaru WRX
    Ford Focus
    Current Toyota Tundra w 243,000 miles.

Dont care for current chevy and Chrysler offerings.  Almost bought the Hornet but its a piece of junk and about 25k overpriced.  I really wanted another Tundra but the price increase and only a 6cyl has me skeptical. I will most likely get the bronco full size or a 4runner next. I need the room but dont want the larger pickup anymore.  Driving into the city and parking sucks...

Fav of the above was the xterra then the Tundra.  The Wrangler was fun as it was the last year of the real jeeps, 95.  They changed everything in 97.  That thing went through rivers, sand, mountains, desert, snow.  I always had the top down and doors off.

I don't know how I forgot this one, maybe because I owned it for such a short time? Subaru WRX Tuner edition which I had some nice work done to.  In Suffolk there are weird staggered lights and I read one wrong.  Wrapped it around someone elses bumper... Owned it for 6 months only... So I didn't really have time to enjoy that one to its fullest extent.

None of the vehicles I owned were junk.  They all ran and performed nice.  Even the Focus.  I used it as a work car but it ran great.

EDIT: Forgot the WRX,,,
    Actually 11, whoops...
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,324
    87 full size Ford Bronco - Loved this thing! 
    90 GMC S15 - by the time I got it in 2001, it was mostly rust. No power steering, windows or working radio. Manual transmission 
    97 Chevrolet S10 - manual transmission , header needed replaced
    00 Chevrolet Blazer - Bot sure why I got rid of it. No major issues I'm aware of. 
    03 Dodge Dakota - I liked this truck. But in 2010 with 135k miles, the transfer case and drive shafts blew up. One likely causing the other. 
    08 Nissan Xterra - I liked the appearance of this one. But inside lacked comfort and options. I had to have the rear differential replaced.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler (2 door) - I really racked up miles quick on this one. Had to sell before I became upside down in this  one. No mechanical or electrical issues. 
    2014 Jeep Wrangler (4 door) - Liked this more than the 2 door. Again, ripped through the miles. 
    2018 Ram 1500 - around 95k miles, decided I'd keep this beast until it refused to run. At 104k, the decision was made for me when a man ran a stop sign and t-boned me. 
    2021 Ram 1500 - so far, so good. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    90 GMC S15 - by the time I got it in 2001, it was mostly rust. No power steering, windows or working radio. Manual transmission 
    00 Chevrolet Blazer - Bot sure why I got rid of it. No major issues I'm aware of. 
    03 Dodge Dakota - I liked this truck. But in 2010 with 135k miles, the transfer case and drive shafts blew up. One likely causing the other. 
    08 Nissan Xterra - I liked the appearance of this one. But inside lacked comfort and options. I had to have the rear differential replaced.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler (2 door) - I really racked up miles quick on this one. Had to sell before I became upside down in this  one. No mechanical or electrical issues. 
    2014 Jeep Wrangler (4 door) - Liked this more than the 2 door. Again, ripped through the miles. 
    2018 Ram 1500 - around 95k miles, decided I'd keep this beast until it refused to run. At 104k, the decision was made for me when a man ran a stop sign and t-boned me. 
    Every car you bought was known to have serious issues... The Xterra was such a great vehicle starting out then became a pile of crap.

The newer Ram has promise though.  Fingers crossed.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,324
    Every car you bought was known to have serious issues... The Xterra was such a great vehicle starting out then became a pile of crap.

The first 2 were given to me at 16/17. The Xterra was bought out of fear of not having a car after the Dakota fucked up. I panicked! No problems with the last 4 vehicles, but I also trade them in as the miles creep up. The Dakota gave me PTSD. I'd have still had the 2018 if I hadn't gotten in the accident. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    brianlux said:

When the hell did Honda make an AWD civic?

1985, the Civic Wagovan.  Ours was a bit of a beater, but what a cool car!  I wish I still had it as a back up of loaner.  Great little car that looked like this:
    Old Honda Wagon Ad

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

The first 2 were given to me at 16/17. The Xterra was bought out of fear of not having a car after the Dakota fucked up. I panicked! No problems with the last 4 vehicles, but I also trade them in as the miles creep up. The Dakota gave me PTSD. I'd have still had the 2018 if I hadn't gotten in the accident. 
    Wranglers are a love hate relationship.  They score poorly on every category from consumer reports year after year but have such a rabid following.

Yeah the ram has promise.  Better vehicles nowadays.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 30,028
    as some on this board like to point out, I’m old….not as old a Brian, tho! :triumph:

from first to last:

1966 plymouth valiant - my mom’s car. they gave me an offer I couldn’t refuse to keep me from buying a motorcycle. great car but not exactly a chick magnet.

1967 triumph TR4A - beautiful car but a mechanic’s nightmare.

1963 bug - paid $90. had been rolled. plywood rear windows and 100% shag carpet, including the roof. blew it up.

1965 bug - with the huge canvas sunroof

1967 vw bus - not the greatest vehicle for the mountains of colorado - like a sail in a crosswind, no power, worthless heater

1971 dodge power wagon

1975(?) jeep cj-5. wish I still had it

1973 camaro - bitchin’ car. wrecked it

1973 chevy 4x4 pu

1983 260z

1988(?) 300z convertible conversion. beautiful car but not near the engine as the earlier 260.

1983 datsun 4x4

1987 ford ranger 4x4 one of my favorite vehicles

1993 ford probe gt. first new vehicle

2002 dodge dakota 4x4, also new

2004 nissan titan 4x4. great truck, still driving it

…and a honda CBR600RR. noticed I was doing 97 mph, earlier today.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 30,028
    280z, not 260

prices, first to last:

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,812
    Wobbie said:
    as some on this board like to point out, I’m old….not as old a Brian, tho! :triumph:

from first to last:

1966 plymouth valiant - my mom’s car. they gave me an offer I couldn’t refuse to keep me from buying a motorcycle. great car but not exactly a chick magnet.

1967 triumph TR4A - beautiful car but a mechanic’s nightmare.

1963 bug - paid $90. had been rolled. plywood rear windows and 100% shag carpet, including the roof. blew it up.

1965 bug - with the huge canvas sunroof

1967 vw bus - not the greatest vehicle for the mountains of colorado - like a sail in a crosswind, no power, worthless heater

1971 dodge power wagon

1975(?) jeep cj-5. wish I still had it

1973 camaro - bitchin’ car. wrecked it

1973 chevy 4x4 pu

1983 260z

1988(?) 300z convertible conversion. beautiful car but not near the engine as the earlier 260.

1983 datsun 4x4

1987 ford ranger 4x4 one of my favorite vehicles

1993 ford probe gt. first new vehicle

2002 dodge dakota 4x4, also new

2004 nissan titan 4x4. great truck, still driving it

…and a honda CBR600RR. noticed I was doing 97 mph, earlier today.