Alternate tunings

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Which ones do you use often and why? I use a drop-D now and then, but I can't construct any chords in other tunings, except sometimes when something sounds good and I have no idea what I've done, or which chord I'm playing.... I really like the way Ani difranco uses them...

I also play a thingy in the wonderfull tuning of

(low) EBBF#BB (high)

how about you??
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    open G and open D usually. oh, and just dropping the high E to D is sometimes interesting.
  • Originally posted by exhausted
    open G and open D usually. oh, and just dropping the high E to D is sometimes interesting.

I play Nothingman with the high E tuned down to C... then capo'ed up on the 5th. Does that count?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I play Nothingman with the high E tuned down to C... then capo'ed up on the 5th. Does that count?

I thought the B string was just supposed to be tuned down a step with the capo... what gives with your tuning?
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • Originally posted by parchy
    I thought the B string was just supposed to be tuned down a step with the capo... what gives with your tuning?

Hey, it works... Then I just play an open-chord with the high string droning on F. You play an open C chord, which is actually an F capo'ed at the 5th, and the high string is just a double of the 1st fret 2nd string. I keep my index finger planted on 1st fret 2nd string, and those two strings are just twins at the same note, and I move my other fingers around to form the other chords.

Keith Richards plays mostly in like open-C or open-G, can't remember which... great for playing slide...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod

Keith Richards plays mostly in like open-C or open-G, can't remember which... great for playing slide...

Open G and open D, and he uses all kinds of other tunings. Once you figure out the trick, It's fun to play Stones licks

I like D G C G C D ,

open D and G for slide.

For a workout, but unusual voicings, C G D A E G. ( Robert Fripp tuning)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I like D A D G A D and Open E tunings a lot.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • So how do you use these tunings? Do you go and figure out chords or do you just try stuff?
  • For Nothingman you tune the 2nd string to a C then Capo the 4th or 5th fret, I may try that other tuning, anyway my fav open tunings to use are Open G,D,A,E. You can get somne really great sounds when appegiating and using a capo. Thanks to Stoney i started using open tunins. :D
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
    Originally posted by pearlwax
    So how do you use these tunings? Do you go and figure out chords or do you just try stuff?

experiment. Open tunings make for fun slide work. Less string pressure means you can do above the nut bends. Just different fun stuff harmonics are fun too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Originally posted by Gossard_Is_God
    appegiating

What's this?
    first 3rd's 5th's and so on in each scale.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    first 3rd's 5th's and so on in each scale.

Still don''t get it, but never mind...
  • Originally posted by pearlwax
    Still don''t get it, but never mind...

Arpeggio is picking each note of a chord individually, instead of strumming, you enunciate each note,
    boink boink boink boink boink.
    ( try to get better tone than that though! )

Playing open tunings allow you to voice chords differently, giving a different ring to a chord.
    Try barring an open G, X 0 0 0 0 0
    then fret like this X 0 2 0 1 0

Very basic blues and Keith Richards sound. Keith has Ry Cooder to thank for that. Ry Cooder is probably the king of playing different tunings and styles.
    Be kind, man
    Be kind, man

When I use an alternate tuning, I just mess around, but don't know if I'm constructing a chord or what... Does an opentuning have some sort of chord theory? Like you just said with open G. Are there typical finger settings to a typical open tuning?

PS: Am I a pain with all my Questions? Am I? Huh? Am I?

:D
  • Hello there, Pearlwax....

Have you a guitar handy? Now, try this. Tune your guitar to DADGAD.

Try these shapes:

0 0 0 2 0 0

0 0 4 2 0 0

2 2 0 0 0 2

0 5 4 0 0 0

5 5 5 4 0 0

7 7 7 6 0 0

9 9 9 7 0 0

10 10 10 9 0 0

12 12 12 11 0 0

0 5 7 7 0 0

0 10 12 12 0 0

There are some chords for you to start with. I haven't given you them in any progression, but you can configure them as you like.

Good luck!
  • Thanks! Way cool thing of you to do!
  • Ok Pearlwax,

I used to hate to show my students how to do alternate tunings because they never go back to finish learning the regular tuning!

So promise me you'll learn the major and minor triads ( the 3 notes in each chord by the end of next week!)
    eg: A,C#, E / B D# F#/ and on and on.

THEN you can look at this website!

http://guitar.to/folder/guitar.html

Learning the notes on the neck is good, too. Otherwise you end up in jokes like this:

How do you get a lead guitarist to turn down his amp?

Put sheet music in front of him!
    Be kind, man

THEN you can look at this website!

http://guitar.to/folder/guitar.html

I'll try not to peek :D And I'll try to learn them, sir!

thanks for the advice :)

You guys rock, have I told you that?
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    What a godsend thread. This is one of my weakest areas in learning the guitar which is getting better. I haven't hit anyone lately. Just picking up on and REMEMBERING the different tones when tuning is frustrating, I'm so bass oriented. Exhausted this is where your switch really comes into play and has been very helpful. Also, I get no static feedback that you were concerned about.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • quote]Originally posted by puremagic
    What a godsend thread. This is one of my weakest areas in learning the guitar which is getting better. I haven't hit anyone lately. Just picking up on and REMEMBERING the different tones when tuning is frustrating, I'm so bass oriented. Exhausted this is where your switch really comes into play and has been very helpful. Also, I get no static feedback that you were concerned about. [/quote]

Hi Puremagic!

I hope your Thanksgiving was great!
    There's a mess of music theory over on the other thread about the b chord.
    Poor Gherkin just wanted to play a B, now he's got a year's worth of work to do!

I'm glad nobody got hit with the lefty guitar,,,lately!
    Be kind, man
    Well, I too have trouble with alternate tunings, so I cant contribute too much to this thread. I will say though, that if your a fan of the goo goo dolls, look up their music, because Johny Rzeznik has crazy tunings. Its gives the chords he uses, especially in a song like "iris" a cool "echoish" sound. Very nice
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?
    quote]Originally posted by puremagic
    What a godsend thread. This is one of my weakest areas in learning the guitar which is getting better. I haven't hit anyone lately. Just picking up on and REMEMBERING the different tones when tuning is frustrating, I'm so bass oriented. Exhausted this is where your switch really comes into play and has been very helpful. Also, I get no static feedback that you were concerned about.

Hi Puremagic!

Poor Gherkin just wanted to play a B, now he's got a year's worth of work to do!

I'm glad nobody got hit with the lefty guitar,,,lately! [/quote]

My Thanksgiving was great!!! Its not the theory so much, its the coordination that is making for slow progress. You can't take a left-handed bassist and turn them into a right-handed guitar player over night without hitting at least 2 or 3 people at each session. But its fun, sometimes turn backs to think I'm playing left handed but my fingers don't buy it. hahaha. So I just practice slow, very slow. The only good thing so far that I've learned is how to hold a note til it kills your ears.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    Originally posted by puremagic
    Hi Puremagic!

I'm glad nobody got hit with the lefty guitar,,,lately!

My Thanksgiving was great!!! Its not the theory so much, its the coordination that is making for slow progress. You can't take a left-handed bassist and turn them into a right-handed guitar player over night without hitting at least 2 or 3 people at each session. But its fun, sometimes turn backs to think I'm playing left handed but my fingers don't buy it. hahaha. So I just practice slow, very slow. The only good thing so far that I've learned is how to hold a note til it kills your ears. [/B][/quote]

You'll get it keep banging out those notes sweets.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79

You'll get it keep banging out those notes sweets.

Thanks for the support.
    anything worth doing is worth doing badly.
  • if yr idiotic enough to tune yr guitar cgdd#cc this a# major7 chord sounds sweeeet:

c 0
    c 10
    d# 12
    d 11
    g x
    c 10
    ........I fell asleep
    Holding your Jumper,
    The Scent of your skin,
    It drunken'd my heart.......
  • Here are some tunings that work with more than one chord!

CGCGCE
    CGDGAD
    CGDABD
    DADABD
    EBEGBD
    DADEAD
    DADFAD

oh, I forgot the more well-known
    DADF#AD
    and
    DGDGBD
    slide tunings. See above about DADGAD.