Will We Ever See The Box Sets Continue? NO CODE - YIELD Should Come Next

wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
edited June 10 in The Porch
Do you think we'll ever see the box sets continued?  "1996 - 1999" should be next up... the Jack Irons albums.  Has there ever been any answer on this?

I would love to see these continue, but maybe it would be better to do it after the band has called it a day.  Ideally, I think it could be broken down something like this:
  • NO CODE - YIELD (1996 - 1999)
  • BINAURAL - PEARL JAM (2000 - 2008)
  • BACKSPACER - GIGATON (2009 - 2023)
  • DARK MATTER - ??? (2024 - ???)

1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
2005: 9/9, 9/28
2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
2007: 8/5
2009: 8/23, 8/24
2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
2013: 7/19, 11/16
2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
2022: 9/18
2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
2024: 5/18, 6/29
Post edited by wnh1977 on

Comments

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Posts: 2,575
    It just occurred to me that maybe they’re waiting for Neil Young to reissue Mirrorball to continue a chronological release pattern? Unfortunately I don’t think this is the case but it gives a bit of hope for further box sets.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,280
    I sure hope so. Ten, Vs/Vitaolgy were awesome. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    I would not count on any more album oriented box sets.  They just re-released Yield last year, and No Code was specifically recut for Vinyl first in 2016 with represses of that cut in 2020 and 2021.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    edited June 10
    I'm all for high end vinyl quality individual deluxe editions.
    Post edited by bobasfeet on
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,385
    They probably need an archivist for this instead of relying on Jeff's collection and time.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    Not anytime soon. I don’t remember what interview but Jeff said he was tired of going through all the old stuff and has no plans of doing anymore of them. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,351

• WreckageWreckage Posts: 56
    For someone in cloud non-PJ for the last 15 years, did they remaster/remix Vs/Vitalogy?  I remember the Ten redux stuff but missed what came next.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    Not anytime soon. I don’t remember what interview but Jeff said he was tired of going through all the old stuff and has no plans of doing anymore of them. 
    THIS. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• ZodZod Posts: 10,527
    I kind of doubt it.  I think the struggled to sell the Vs/Vitalogy ones when they came out.   It took them a long a while to clear them out.   The most interesting thing in that one was the live vinyl, the rest was pretty standard.   The Ten box came with a dvd which helped a bit.

It's alot to charge when there's maybe 1 unique thing in the box.  With all the albums sufficiently reissued now, I have to image the demand for boxes to be low, unless they really went to down with including live performances (both on vinyl and on bluray).

I think it died out as Vs/Vitalogy sold slowly.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,353
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
    BF25394 said:
    I agree with this... however, it just feels like a weird thing to leave incomplete.  I've definitely accused the band of being in nostalgia/merchandise-mode at various times over the past 15 years, so I'm totally happy to have the band focused on the "present tense", releasing and touring in support of new material.

In regards to the Jeff quote mentioned earlier in the thread, I do vaguely recall that... but I don't think he said he has no plans.  I think it was more along the lines of he had done plenty of looking back, and, FOR THE TIME BEING, he was ready to focus on looking ahead.  I remember it sounding like it would be quite a while before they continued with it, but maybe not impossible to think it would resume.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    2024: 5/18, 6/29
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 897
    I remember being surprised the b-sides were not in them. I know they are available in other releases but thought they'd want to package everything in one set.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • domjon77domjon77 Posts: 29
    I'd love to see an expanded Single Video Theory in a Yield re-release. I'm sure there's loads of additional interesting interview footage, and song performances. 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,353
    edited June 10
    wnh1977 said:
    BF25394 said:
    I agree with this... however, it just feels like a weird thing to leave incomplete.  I've definitely accused the band of being in nostalgia/merchandise-mode at various times over the past 15 years, so I'm totally happy to have the band focused on the "present tense", releasing and touring in support of new material.

In regards to the Jeff quote mentioned earlier in the thread, I do vaguely recall that... but I don't think he said he has no plans.  I think it was more along the lines of he had done plenty of looking back, and, FOR THE TIME BEING, he was ready to focus on looking ahead.  I remember it sounding like it would be quite a while before they continued with it, but maybe not impossible to think it would resume.
    It's not only a function of the time it would take to put things like this together, it's also a function of demand. Expanded editions of later, worse-selling albums do not figure to attract the demand to justify the time and expense. The boxes they did release were pretty disappointing in terms of the most important thing I wanted from them, which is unreleased music. As far as the live sets go, once you get to 2000, pretty much every live show is available already. And as far as the collectibles are concerned, again I think the interest in them is proportional to the interest in the albums themselves.

If it were up to me, the only thing I'd really want is a follow-up to "Lost Dogs" with all of the completed songs that have never been released. I'd bet this could fit on 2 CDs. Give me that and I'd be thrilled.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 897
    Yeah I think Europe 2007 is an exception to that rule so a box set of Avocado/Backspacer/LB would ideally have the London 2007 show in it.

Would Jeff be ok with outsourcing it to anyone? Hell Andrew Watt seems like such a superfan he could compile it. If he has time. SVT would be a great addition to it as would anything unreleased. Hell Merkinball could be included if they could sort the label issues. Though that's also a RSD option.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
    JT167846 said:
    Yeah I think Europe 2007 is an exception to that rule so a box set of Avocado/Backspacer/LB would ideally have the London 2007 show in it.

Would Jeff be ok with outsourcing it to anyone? Hell Andrew Watt seems like such a superfan he could compile it. If he has time. SVT would be a great addition to it as would anything unreleased. Hell Merkinball could be included if they could sort the label issues. Though that's also a RSD option.
    this is a fabulous idea. someone put the bug in Watt's ear and he'll convince the band to do it. haha

www.headstonesband.com

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    JT167846 said:

This could be my memory playing tricks on me but didnt they once say the reason they never released 2007 as a bootleg year was something to do with the quality of the recordings they had?
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    wnh1977 said:
    Do you think we'll ever see the box sets continued?  "1996 - 1999" should be next up... the Jack Irons albums.  Has there ever been any answer on this?

I would love to see these continue, but maybe it would be better to do it after the band has called it a day.  Ideally, I think it could be broken down something like this:
    • NO CODE - YIELD (1996 - 1999)
    • BINAURAL - PEARL JAM (2000 - 2008)
    • BACKSPACER - GIGATON (2009 - 2023)
    • DARK MATTER - ??? (2024 - ???)

I remember posting/hoping/dreaming a lifetime ago that the box sets should include the Benaroya Hall, coupled with the complete Easy Street set:

No Code / Yield 1996-1998
    Binaural / Riot Act 2000-2002
    Live at Benaroya Hall / Live At Easy Street 2004-2006

The band said the box sets would only be for the Epic/Sony albums (so that rules out Easy Street, Avocado, and everything that followed) so finishing the series with Benny would be perfect.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)

I remember, but also recall in a podcast Stone saying he is very interested in releasing the next few box sets.
  • mrk2mrk2 Posts: 2,067
    pdalowsky said:
    JT167846 said:

This could be my memory playing tricks on me but didnt they once say the reason they never released 2007 as a bootleg year was something to do with the quality of the recordings they had?
    They were between two different companies doing the bootlegs. 2006 was one, 2008 another. Cant remember which was which. Basecamp and something else. Maybe they had no one in 2007
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 1,126
    demetrios said:

I remember, but also recall in a podcast Stone saying he is very interested in releasing the next few box sets.
    Stone and Jeff are essentially opposites of each other.
    Perfect opposites at that, as they create magic together.
    This whole interview was great, but here's the clip where they go over how different they are.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrEn8DRajB4
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    mrk2 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    JT167846 said:

They were between two different companies doing the bootlegs. 2006 was one, 2008 another. Cant remember which was which. Basecamp and something else. Maybe they had no one in 2007
    Im sure I read that the shows were recorded but the quality wasnt the best
    pdalowsky said:
    mrk2 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    JT167846 said:

I recall this as well. 

www.headstonesband.com

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,156
    edited June 12
    Ten was sold everywhere, but I guess didn't live up to sales expectations because--

--Vs and Vitalogy had to share one box (might not be connected to sales... but... hmm yeah) and was only sold through the fanclubs own shop...

I know Jeff has said something back then about not wanting to be stuck in the past. But I doubt sales did not have a (main) part in it. i mean, this is the band  selling 12 different vinyl colours to make money.

But would love it to continue with No Code or No Code/Yield. They did a lot right with these box sets. I just wish the trinkets included would have been excluded, and instead a documentary or a detailed book of the era and time in the studio would take have taken the place of the pointless tat (photos of the stuff could have been in the book - like that great issue of DEEP with stuff from the past). They also could have gone "all out" with a full disc of B-sides and extra songs. Tacking a few extra songs at the end of an album disc that was meant to be one complete thing without them doesn't sit right with me in general. Put in on an extra disc - and that would have also given the opportunity to just stack it with stuff. Going by the Dave A cassettes we know things existed - covers, early rehearsals etc. Also not a fan of CD:s and LP:s of the same thing being in the same box. Have a CD and an LP boxset if you need to have CD as an option.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    pdalowsky said:
    mrk2 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    JT167846 said:

I recall this as well. 

I believe Brad from Kufala Recordings said they were all recorded. Was just waiting for the green light to release them. 
    yes, they were recorded, but the band said the recordings weren't up to snuff (paraphrasing)

www.headstonesband.com

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    demetrios said:

Well I hope he does!  I just hope they do it a little better. The Ten box was ok with it having some unreleased tracks, the DVD, Cassete and the cool live vinyl. To me the Vs/Vitalogy was lacking. The live vinyl was cool but I hope for some completed unreleased studio tracks as well. Seems like there should be a ton of stuff they could add with a No Code/Yield box that we’ve never had access to 
    a 7" of Small Mosquito would be cool with No Code

www.headstonesband.com

demetrios said:

Well I hope he does!  I just hope they do it a little better. The Ten box was ok with it having some unreleased tracks, the DVD, Cassete and the cool live vinyl. To me the Vs/Vitalogy was lacking. The live vinyl was cool but I hope for some completed unreleased studio tracks as well. Seems like there should be a ton of stuff they could add with a No Code/Yield box that we’ve never had access to 

Indeed. I would be happy if they added 2 live No Code & Yield DVD's plus 2 live vinyl from shows / sources that have never seen the light of day in one of those Box Sets.