Vitalogy
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    Dark Matter
    Gigaton
    Pearl Jam
    Lightning Bolt
    Backspacer

98 Raleigh 03 Raleigh 06 Camden1 13 Baltimore 16 Greenville 16 Raleigh 16 Wrigley1 16 Wrigley2 18 Missoula 18 Wrigley1
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,833
    Lifted said:
    I agree that lost dogs shouldn’t be included in the ranking.

1. dark matter
    2. yield
    3. no code
    4. vs
    5. vitalogy
    6. ten
    7. binaural
    8. riot act
    9. pearl jam
    10. gigaton
    11. backspacer
    12. lightning bolt 
    DM as the winner!  I love it :) 
    I never thought they’d put another album out that would crack my top 8, let alone being #1, but I really think dark matter is that good. Furthermore, outside of the bottom 2, it’s my most confident placement on the list. The 5 albums I have ranked after could be interchangeable.
  • Ten
    Vs
    No code
    Vitalogy (tied with no code)
    Yield
    Dark Matter (moving up the list)
    Binaural
    Avocado
    Riot Act
    Backspacer
    lightning bolt
    Gigaton

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,807
    1 - Vs
    2 - Ten
    3 - Vitalogy
    4 - Dark Matter
    5 - Yield
    6 - Avocado
    7 - Backspacer
    8 - No Code
    9 - Binaural
    10 - Lightning Bolt
    11 - Riot Act
    12 - Gigaton
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    1 - Vs, Vitalogy, No Code, Yield, Binaural, and Lost Dogs (Ranking these depends solely on my current state of mind)
    7 - Ten, Riot Act, Avocado, and Dark Matter (Ten is obviously great, but my fandom was cemented by the 5 studio albums that followed)
    11 - Backspacer
    12 - Gigaton
    13 - Lightning Bolt
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,467
    Yield
    Riot Act
    Avocado

Dark Matter
    Vitalogy
    No Code

Ten
    Gigaton
    Lightning Bolt

Vs
    Binaural 

Backspacer
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • C-Wad84911C-Wad84911 Posts: 12
    1.  Vitalogy
    2.  Vs
    3.  Dark Matter
    4.  Yield
    5.  Ten
    6.  Gigaton
    7.  Backspacer
    8.  Pearl Jam
    9.  Riot Act
    10.  No Code
    11.  Binaural
    12.  Lightning Bolt
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    Wow…13 albums. Sometimes it’s hard to believe how long we’ve all been around. I love Lost Dogs but I can’t really rank it amongst the rest. I’ll throw in favorite song too for the hell of it.  

1. Vitalogy (Tremor Christ)
    2. Ten (Even Flow)
    3. Yield (Do The Evolution)
    4. Vs. (Go) 
    5. No Code (Red Mosquito)
    6. Binaural (Grievance) 
    7. Riot Act (You Are)
    8. Avocado (World Wide Suicide)
    9. Dark Matter (Dark Matter)
    10. Gigaton (Quick Escape) 
    11. Lightning Bolt (Mind Your Manners)
    12. Backspacer (Got Some)
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 796
    For me..

1.) Dark Matter (yes, really)
    2.) Self Titled
    3.) No Code
    4.) Vitalogy
    5.) Lightning Bolt
    6.) Ten
    7.) Vs.
    8.) Yield
    9.) Backspacer
    10.) Gigaton
    11.) Riot Act
    12.) Binaural
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,243
    edited June 5
    These album ranking threads always interest me. I think it depends a lot on what criteria you’re using. I tend to use a lot of factors…

1. How does the album feel start to finish
    2. Sound/production, feel and concept
    3. Obviously the songs
    4. Artwork and overall feel of the entire thing

I guess what I’m saying is the rankings change if you’re just judging how many songs you love or the influence of the album. For example, if I just go by influence of the album and time period no doubt Ten would be #1 for me. It changed my life. BUT…it’s not my favorite PJ record at all. Overall I love No Code, Yield, Vitalogy and Vs more. 

Another example is if I just go by a collection of songs that I want to hear (my favorite PJ tracks) Vitalogy would be a lot lower do to Pry To, Bugs etc. but as an entire record, those songs within the flow of the record, the packaging/artwork and listening from start to finish I fucking love that record!  It ranks 3rd. I don’t even like Betterman as a song and never play it on its own but it’s perfect within the context of the album (it’s literally the only time I ever listen to the song is if I put on the record). Even No Code (possibly my favorite record of any band ever) doesn’t have all that many songs I play individually over and over. But as a whole it’s easily my favorite. If I just went by how many songs I love individually I’d probably have Vs at the top as a lot of my favorite songs ever appeared on this record. 

Hopefully I articulated this clearly as I’m kinda all over the place after three bourbons. 

What’s your criteria???
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
  • mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 796
    These album ranking threads always interest me. I think it depends a lot on what criteria you’re using. I tend to use a lot of factors…

1. How does the album feel start to finish
    2. Sound/production, feel and concept
    3. Obviously the songs
    4. Artwork and overall feel of the entire thing

I guess what I’m saying is the rankings change if you’re just judging how many songs you love or the influence of the album. For example, if I just go by influence of the album and time period no doubt Ten would be #1 for me. It changed my life. BUT…it’s not my favorite PJ record at all. Overall I love No Code, Yield, Vitalogy and Vs more. 

Another example is if I just go by a collection of songs that I want to hear (my favorite PJ tracks) Vitalogy would be a lot lower do to Pry To, Bugs etc. but as an entire record, those songs within the flow of the record, the packaging/artwork and listening from start to finish I fucking love that record!  It ranks 3rd. I don’t even like Betterman as a song and never play it on its own but it’s perfect within the context of the album (it’s literally the only time I ever listen to the song is if I put on the record). Even No Code (possibly my favorite record of any band ever) doesn’t have all that many songs I play individually over and over. But as a whole it’s easily my favorite. If I just went by how many songs I love individually I’d probably have Vs at the top as a lot of my favorite songs ever appeared on this record. 

Hopefully I articulated this clearly as I’m kinda all over the place after three bourbons. 

What’s your criteria???

All great scientific quantifying factors- I shot straight from the hip with visceral connection in the now through the frame of memory- just pure emotional personal connection.  However, if you stack things up from other criteria, this could easily shuffle.
  • yosiyosi Posts: 2,985
    JZ280705 said:
    Ten
    Vs
    Yield
    Vitalogy
    Lost Dogs
    No Code
    Backspacer 
    Lightning Bolt
    Dark Matter
    Avocado
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    Gigaton
    Yield
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    No Code
    Vitalogy
    Vs
    Ten
    Avocado
    Dark Matter
    Lost Dogs
    Giga
    LB
    Backspacer
    Love your top 3 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• ChrisChuckChrisChuck Posts: 33
    1 - Ten
    2 - Vs
    3 - Yield
    4 - Vitalogy
    5 - Avocado
    6 - No Code
    7 - Dark Matter
    8 - Gigaton
    9 - Lightning Bolt
    10 -  Backspacer
    11 -  Binaural
    12 -  Riot Act
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,633
    ohhh...tough.

1. Vitalogy (Immortality, Last Exit, Nothingman, Whipping, Satan's Bed...)
    2. Vs.
    3. No Code
    4. Ten
    5. Avocado
    6. Binaural
    7. Yield
    8. Dark Matter (give it time and it will go higher)
    9. Lost Dogs
    10. Gigaton
    11. Backspacer (although it has significantly grown on me)
    12. Riot Act
    13. Lightning Bolt (but shout out to Yellow Moon)

1-4 can switch at any point, depending on mood.
    5-7 and 8-10 follow the same pattern

1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    goldrush said:
    Yield
    Riot Act
    Avocado

Dark Matter
    Vitalogy
    No Code

Ten
    Gigaton
    Lightning Bolt

Vs
    Binaural 

Backspacer
    Interesting that you have RA so high yet Binaural so low
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Clindsey80Clindsey80 Posts: 13
    This is interesting. I didn't realize I was in the minority with my love for Backspacer. I think Dark Matter is great, Gigaton was ok. I can't really rank the albums because there's something special about them all. I will say that I rarely listen to Avocado anymore.
    This is interesting. I didn't realize I was in the minority with my love for Backspacer. I think Dark Matter is great, Gigaton was ok. I can't really rank the albums because there's something special about them all. I will say that I rarely listen to Avocado anymore.
    my 23 year old daughter LOVES Backspacer. 

I like it more now than a few years ago. PJ albums tend to age nicely...but something has to be last in a ranking

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • al162928al162928 Posts: 7
    Vitalogy
    Vs
    Ten
    No Code
    Yield
    Avocado
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    Backspacer
    Dark Matter
    Gigaton
    Lightning Bolt
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    Vs.
    Ten
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    No Code
    Dark Matter
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    Self-Titled
    Lightning Bolt
    Backspacer
    Gigaton
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    Objectively speaking Vs. or Ten would have to be in the top spot right?   I get music tastes are different, but objectively there is no way that other albums are better than VS or Ten. 
  • bicyclejoebicyclejoe Posts: 1,203
    edited June 5
    Ten
    Vs
    Yield
    Vitalogy
    No Code
    Dark Matter
    Avocado
    Riot Act
    Backspacer
    Binaural
    Gigaton
    Lightning Bolt

The non-conanical rankings:
    Benaroya
    Lost Dogs
    Live on Two Legs
    Unplugged
    Live at The Gorge
    Live on Ten Legs
    Pearl Jam Twenty
    Let's Play Two
    Live at Easy Street

My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
    Objectively speaking Vs. or Ten would have to be in the top spot right?   I get music tastes are different, but objectively there is no way that other albums are better than VS or Ten. 
    not necessarily....I was a casual fan until Yield. Mainly because I was into the heavier Soundgarden and slightly heavier STP.

I think Yield/Binaural/Riot Act are their absolute best as artists. They were more mature songwriters, etc.

Not to say that Vs and Ten aren't great albums though.

• spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,747
    Ten
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    No Code
    Dark Matter
    Avocado
    Riot Act
    Binaural
    Backspacer
    Gigaton
    Lightning Bolt

3 through 5 are interchangeable.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,633
    edited June 5
    I find that my rankings are heavily weighted with album expectations vs delivery. I don't think Backspacer is bad by any means, but for whatever reason I was so hyped for a new release that no matter what came out would not have lived up to my own hype.

Avocado, Binaural, Yield however... 0 expectations going in, and instant love for all 3.
    Post edited by Gibson on
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    I find that the enjoyment of an album (at least initially) has a lot to do with your place in life at the time, your mindset, and your experiences with that album in that context.  

I think when we all (and most people) first discovered their albums, we had relationships with other people that also enjoyed the albums and the phenomenon of PJ and early 90s rock contributed to a lot of that.  So it will always be hard for the later albums to catch up to their earlier stuff.  So its really hard to try and judge these albums without all that context.  (My kids, for example, got to experience Lightning Bolt, Cant Deny Me, Gigaton and Dark Matter first hand, so they rank those higher than their earlier stuff, since their context is very very different from mine.)

So, most people who have been fans of the band for a long time will rank the 90s and maybe the early 00's greater.  That said, I think Dark Matter is their best overall album...since....maybe ever?  I dont know if its my favorite album...it is for the moment...but the work on this album is so solid.  
    Gigaton for me....has awesome songs, and some really great melodies and lyrics, but it came at at time during the pandemic...I really needed that album at that time, and at the same time...its sort of hard to listen to, due to the context of what was happening in the world not just with the pandemic, but with politics, etc.  Its sort of depressing for me.  I was listening to 7 O'Clock last night and my god, it just put me in a depressed state.  It was one of my go-to songs from 2020-2023.  

Anyway, I cant really rank these based on "What is best" only "I have so much emotional connections with these albums"....That's probably why Vitalogy-NoCode-Yield will never be topped for me. 

1. Vitalogy-No Code- Yield
    2. Ten-Vs
    3. Dark Matter
    4. Binaural
    5. Avocado
    6. Riot Act
    7. Lightning Bolt
    8. Backspacer
    9. Gigaton

Lost Dogs is a B-sides albums and not a proper studio album.  Love it, hoping for a Lost Dogs 2 at some point.  But most of those songs I had already heard in some form or another, so it didnt quite hit me like any of the studio albums. 

Also, the only reason that Vitalogy-No Code-Yield are above Ten-Vs, is because when I heard Ten and VS, I was enjoying those, but I didnt really "discover" them for myself.  I was just hearing those cause literally everyone was playing them.  When Vitalogy came out, I finally "got" pearl jam, and then some people bailed when No Code came out, which I really enjoyed cause it was so different from the others, and Yield might be perfect. 

But Yield was mine.  A lot of my PJ friends sort of bailed by then.  And that Yield tour was so fun. 

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Planet of SoundPlanet of Sound Posts: 622
    No Code
    Vitalogy
    Ten
    Vs.

Avocado
    Yield
    Dark Matter
    Binaural

Gigaton
    Riot Act
    Backspacer

Pablo Honey

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    NO CODE
    ________

Yield
    Vs.
    Avocado
    Binaural
    Ten
    Dark Metter
    Vitalogy
    Lightning Bolt
    Gigaton
    Backspacer

No Code is always #1 for me. I love all of them, but if I had to rank them now, that would be my list.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • cmikeheltoncmikehelton Posts: 201
    1. Vs
    2.Ten
    3. Vitalogy
    4. Yield
    5. Dark Matter (could possibly move higher)
    6. Avocado
    7. No Code
    8. Riot Act
    9. Binaural
    10. Backspacer
    11. Lightning Bolt
    12. Gigaton
    "And the young, they can lose hope
    'Cause they can't see beyond today
    The wisdom that the old can't give away, hey
    Constant recoil
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone."
  • yosiyosi Posts: 2,985
    not necessarily....I was a casual fan until Yield. Mainly because I was into the heavier Soundgarden and slightly heavier STP.

I think Yield/Binaural/Riot Act are their absolute best as artists. They were more mature songwriters, etc.

Not to say that Vs and Ten aren't great albums though.
    This right here. 

Funnily enough, I was also more into STP. That was until I saw PJ live and then everything changed. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane