Questions & Concerns with Taking Children to Ohana

Robdog983Robdog983 Posts: 143
As of the moment I only have 2 GA tix to Sunday’s show, but I’m contemplating trying for a 3rd ticket so that I may take my daughters with me. They are 9 and 10.5 years old. 

My concern, of course, is the fact that it’s GA and they’d obviously be at a height disadvantage. And even if I were fortunate enough to be at the front of the gate when it opens, it’s not like I’d be making a mad dash to the rail having them with me. 

I would assume somebody here has taken their little one(s) to the festival in the past. Just trying to get an idea of what the experience was like with your youngster(s) being present at the event. I’m sure my girls would enjoy themselves no matter what. It’s the beach. The atmosphere. They’d finally get to see PJ live for the first time. I’m also aware that there’s typically giant screens on each side of the stage, so that would help with my concern on them not being able see too well. I just want to make sure I’m not setting them up for a disappointing time as far as experiencing the live performances goes, if that makes sense.

Any tips, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• tschavtschav Posts: 2,830
    A few thoughts from a non-parent:
    1. Look at the possibility of the bleachers in back as a home base. The venue isn’t crazy deep and the height advantage may help.
    2. Sitting near the other stage to the right could get you physically closer and better view of the screens.
    3. The venue is sloped ground (not extreme, but noticeable) so being 2/3 of the way back from the stage will get you higher than those closer to the stage. You should be able to set up a little blanket space (check the rules in case it’s changed) further away. 

It’s a pretty chill fest as long as you aren’t pushing/stressing to get up front for a tambourine. :)
  • Robdog983Robdog983 Posts: 143
    tschav said:
    A few thoughts from a non-parent:
    1. Look at the possibility of the bleachers in back as a home base. The venue isn’t crazy deep and the height advantage may help.
    2. Sitting near the other stage to the right could get you physically closer and better view of the screens.
    3. The venue is sloped ground (not extreme, but noticeable) so being 2/3 of the way back from the stage will get you higher than those closer to the stage. You should be able to set up a little blanket space (check the rules in case it’s changed) further away. 

It’s a pretty chill fest as long as you aren’t pushing/stressing to get up front for a tambourine. :)
    Another thing I failed to mention was that it would be my first Ohana as well. 

But thanks on what you mentioned. That helps. I figured it’s a pretty chill environment/atmosphere. And no, definitely not pushing for rail with my children. Only because they wouldn’t be able to keep up with sprinting to the front. I wouldn’t necessarily be worried about having them up there with me, as they have been with other shows we’ve gone to together. People tend to lookout and be more considerate when they see children are present anywhere near the front. 

I’ll take note of your bullet points, though. Thanks again! 
  • njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 599
    edited May 26
    Have taken my now 7yo for a couple of trips so far. There's a sandy area between the bleachers and the sound booth she loves playing in.  There's a 2-3 foot cinderblock wall people stand on for height advantage. Meet you there?   

I took my 2yo last year, and it was way too overstimulating for him; my wife wound up pushing him around in the stroller all evening. It did get us on the return bus faster, though - the bus monitors could tell we needed a break.
    He won't be back for a few years, until he has a better grasp of what's going on.  
    Post edited by njhaley1 on
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,618
    Stand on the hill. 
    Sit in bleachers
    Lots of us cant see everything cause it's an open park... go over by second stage abd they can see screen... tons of kids there abd they just hang whatever
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,432
    edited May 26
    I found, at Ohana Encore 21, when I took a 9-year-old, that PJ's older fanbase stood aside to let the little ones upfront in a kiddie section. They were grand-fathered in. Ed mentioned his pleasure at seeing them all as a sign of safety at his festival. He invited a child drummer on stage, too.

I chose a hotel within walking distance for my first and only Ohana.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    edited May 26
    https://youtu.be/p1nN9zNM7uw?si=mYVrR5oRTmpZ2tdW

My kiddo thoroughly got ruined for the rest of her concert going life as she was spoiled with a tambourine, our neighbor put her on his shoulders while she played along, PJ's cameraman caught the moment during RITFW, and PJ released this footage in a fundraising video for the Vedder's family charity.

Also, her footage was on the shows' screen which made her feel like a little Rockstar as she walked out and others celebrated '21 musical freedom with us during the peak of Delta.
    Also because of her age we couldn't go and stand in the sun all day to wait to be up front. we came in at the end of Beck's performance and again people were kind and understanding
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,641
    I took my 10 year old daughter to the LA shows, which were indoors, and she was exposed to a lot of second hand weed vaping on the floor. Outdoors should be better, but be aware people are going to do what they are going to do regardless of who is nearby. It’s a long day in the sun for a kid, add smoking nearby, and they may fall asleep before the show ends.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
    njhaley1 said:
    Have taken my now 7yo for a couple of trips so far. There's a sandy area between the bleachers and the sound booth she loves playing in.  There's a 2-3 foot cinderblock wall people stand on for height advantage. Meet you there?   

I took my 2yo last year, and it was way too overstimulating for him; my wife wound up pushing him around in the stroller all evening. It did get us on the return bus faster, though - the bus monitors could tell we needed a break.
    He won't be back for a few years, until he has a better grasp of what's going on.  
    Thanks for the tip on the cinder block! Hopefully it’s in the same spot 🙏🏼 because I’ll definitely be looking for it!
    Spunkie said:
    Also because of her age we couldn't go and stand in the sun all day to wait to be up front. we came in at the end of Beck's performance and again people were kind and understanding
    This is refreshing to know.
    I took my 10 year old daughter to the LA shows, which were indoors, and she was exposed to a lot of second hand weed vaping on the floor. Outdoors should be better, but be aware people are going to do what they are going to do regardless of who is nearby. It’s a long day in the sun for a kid, add smoking nearby, and they may fall asleep before the show ends.
    Appreciate it! They’ve been with me to enclosed, smaller theater type venues for other artists. So yes, unfortunately they’ve been exposed to the second hand weed stuff. Personally not too concerned over that. It’s not like they’re being put in that position on a weekly basis and true, seeing as Ohana is outdoors, that shouldn’t be an issue. Definitely aware of the long day out in the sun. We’re from SoCal and are accustomed to long hours at the beach. There’ll be plenty to keep them hydrated and just gotta make sure they’re being applied with sunblock regularly throughout the day. I have feared for them tiring out at shows before by the time the headliner has come on but thankfully I haven’t experienced that yet with them 🙏🏼 lol but it’s something I always keep in mind. 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,946
    My friends brought their kid and it went well. As was already mentioned, it’s very chill and there’s no aggro crap. There was a kid zone last year just to the back and left if the sound booth with kids strewn about and many napping during the show. People around us were very sweet and conscious to alert people walking nearby that there were kids spread around and to watch their step. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,959
    Have fun. Nice to expose kids to live music.

Honestly I'd be put off if someone walked to the rail after putting in my time all day + with a couple kids that likely don't really want to be up front.
    Sure you understand that. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    edited May 27
    Robdog983 said:
    Spunkie said:
    While it seemed to work out for Spunkie there is no chance I am taking my kid through a sea of people to try and get to the front right before Pearl Jam comes on. Too much of a chance of an altercation that would ruin the night. 
    PJNB said:
    Robdog983 said:
    Spunkie said:
    While it seemed to work out for Spunkie there is no chance I am taking my kid through a sea of people to try and get to the front right before Pearl Jam comes on. Too much of a chance of an altercation that would ruin the night. 
    Yeah I thought the same. 
    Loujoe said:
    Have fun. Nice to expose kids to live music.

Honestly I'd be put off if someone walked to the rail after putting in my time all day + with a couple kids that likely don't really want to be up front.
    Sure you understand that. 
    For sure
    edited May 27
    PJNB said:
    Robdog983 said:
    Spunkie said:
    While it seemed to work out for Spunkie there is no chance I am taking my kid through a sea of people to try and get to the front right before Pearl Jam comes on. Too much of a chance of an altercation that would ruin the @Loujoe
    Good point, @PJNB I would have happily joined you and yours on the stands after your offer to save a seat, however, Pipsqueak bee-lined it!  Yes, @Loujoe, I get it! I stopped her from going centre/rail area. @RatherStarved walked us to that show and the crowd didn't let him pass through as he followed us.

Maybe my pronouns helped me avoid an altercation?

(She/her)

• RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,880
    Spunkie said:
    PJNB said:
    Robdog983 said:
    Spunkie said:
    While it seemed to work out for Spunkie there is no chance I am taking my kid through a sea of people to try and get to the front right before Pearl Jam comes on. Too much of a chance of an altercation that would ruin the @Loujoe
    Good point, @PJNB I would have happily joined you and yours on the stands after your offer to save a seat, however, Pipsqueak bee-lined it!  Yes, @Loujoe, I get it! I stopped her from going centre/rail area. @RatherStarved walked us to that show and the crowd didn't let him pass through as he followed us.

(She/her)

I mean I don’t have the same pronouns but I also thought hanging back was the right call for me in the situation.  The stands were wonderful that night.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 599
    Spunkie said:
    PJNB said:
    Robdog983 said:
    Spunkie said:

(She/her)

Hey, I have that same outfit! 

/not really 
    edited May 27
    I wanted to start a - what I'm going to wear to Pearl Jam thread - I get so excited when I travel to an exciting event. That one has a bikini bottom with the Bandera top and is for New Zealand.

I met at one woman at Ohana and her hair-do and nails matched an album cover!
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,959
    And.....thank you
    edited May 27
    I know OP is the kind of guy to be first at the gate to get the rail. Since he's worried about being unable to sprint with little legged people, I was thinking if he got an extra ticket for that second child, have a friend drop them off a little bit later in the day after you'd staked out your spot?

However much water you think you need - double it - when you do the water bottle refills!