It’s so freaking nice to finally have a….

whoyouare72whoyouare72 Posts: 2,144
new Pearl Jam album that I want to listen to over and over and over again!!!

Seriously this thing is so fucking good!

It’s been 15 years since I have listened to A new PJ album over and over!

I cannot wait for Fall tour!!!!

Comments

• Planet of SoundPlanet of Sound Posts: 622
    It’s pretty great, isn’t it?

For me the first one I’ve fully clicked with since Avocado.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319

Maybe if you went back and listened to Lightning Bolt or Gigaton over and over, you would discover that you like them more than you think you do.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 1,081
    edited May 25
    BF25394 said:

Maybe if you went back and listened to Lightning Bolt or Gigaton over and over, you would discover that you like them more than you think you do.
    I recently listened to Gigaton for the first time, and it's a very decent album.   My expectations were low based on what I had heard about it.  But I found myself grooving and enjoying most of the Gigaton album.  It's pretty good.

And agreed on Dark Matter, endless praise,  top 5 PJ album.  Timeless classic.  So grateful that we got this delivered to us.  Pearl Jam was already legendary, and still gifted us with Dark Matter.
    Post edited by MikeDigs on
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    Only here

gigaton was heralded by critics, fans alike

i agree DM is better, but why some feel the need to compare and disparage 🤷‍♂️

thats PJ… they make music THEY want… that’s the way it should be
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    BF25394 said:

I actually did that the other day and I actually enjoyed them less than I thought I did. 

I think DM being so good actually makes it more noticeable how weak some of the songs on those albums actually were.  
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834

Exactly!   It has been five weeks and I still want to listen to it all the way through.  Love it.  Been a while and didn’t expect I would like another one like this.  I assumed I had just moved on from their style of music.  
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:

I actually did that the other day and I actually enjoyed them less than I thought I did. 

I think DM being so good actually makes it more noticeable how weak some of the songs on those albums actually were.  
    Totally agree about the new album throwing some shade over some of the recent stuff.
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:

I recently listened to Gigaton for the first time, and it's a very decent album.   My expectations were low based on what I had heard about it.  But I found myself grooving and enjoying most of the Gigaton album.  It's pretty good.

And agreed on Dark Matter, endless praise,  top 5 PJ album.  Timeless classic.  So grateful that we got this delivered to us.  Pearl Jam was already legendary, and still gifted us with Dark Matter.
    Wait, you listened to it for the first time ever, or for the first time in a while?

PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:

You listened to them over and over the other day? I'm talking about sustained listening over a period of time.

For what it's worth, Dark Matter has a Metacritic score of 81. Gigaton has a score of 80.
  • bazfromozbazfromoz Posts: 237
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:

Exactly this. For me, Dark Matter really highlighted how average the last 3-4 albums actually are. Of course each has some highlights but this new work blows it all out of the water. 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,243
    edited May 25
    BF25394 said:

I’ve listened to them plenty of times in short periods. About half of Gigaton I think is great. LB is by far PJs weakest album. Although I love Pendulum!!

Dark Matter blows these records away. 
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:

Wait, you listened to it for the first time ever, or for the first time in a while?

I heard the singles many times,  but yes first time going thru the album.   It's decent.  I need to go thru LB and BS too.  Not sure why I never listened to BS yet. Out of Giga / LB / BS, I like the singles from BS the most.  
  • dreamweaverdreamweaver Posts: 716
    Best album since MFC joined.
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:

I heard the singles many times,  but yes first time going thru the album.   It's decent.  I need to go thru LB and BS too.  Not sure why I never listened to BS yet. Out of Giga / LB / BS, I like the singles from BS the most.  
    Have you been in the Ten Club all this time? I'm honestly confused at how someone who belongs to Pearl Jam's fan club would have multiple Pearl Jam albums that they never listened to.
    BF25394 said:

I’ve listened to them plenty of times in short periods. About half of Gigaton I think is great. LB is by far PJs weakest album. Although I love Pendulum!!

I was directing the post to whoyouare72, who said he had not listened to a new Pearl Jam album over and over in 15 years (i.e., since Backspacer). I understand that there are people like you who either don't like or have mixed feelings about these records after giving them some time. I just don't understand why people would give them short shrift from the jump. (I mean, I understand it in a sense-- Pearl Jam fans are older now, they have jobs, they have family responsibilities, they waste enormous amounts of time on the internet that they didn't in 1993-- but I don't understand it in the sense that, for me, as a card-carrying member of the Pearl Jam fan club, a new Pearl Jam album is a major event that always precipitates daily listening to that album for months on end. That has always been a joy for me, not a chore.)
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:

Have you been in the Ten Club all this time? I'm honestly confused at how someone who belongs to Pearl Jam's fan club would have multiple Pearl Jam albums that they never listened to.
    I joined 10c recently with Dark Matter release and 2024 tour.  The past few albums hadn't excited me as much.  But Dark Matter had me intrigued from the first single and pulled me in.
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:

I joined 10c recently with Dark Matter release and 2024 tour.  The past few albums hadn't excited me as much.  But Dark Matter had me intrigued from the first single and pulled me in.
    I kind of figured that might have been the case. Well, welcome to the fold. But don't decide the albums don't excite you until you give them at least a few listens! You might not believe it, but there's some stuff on those albums that's even better than "Hummus"!
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:

I was directing the post to whoyouare72, who said he had not listened to a new Pearl Jam album over and over in 15 years (i.e., since Backspacer). I understand that there are people like you who either don't like or have mixed feelings about these records after giving them some time. I just don't understand why people would give them short shrift from the jump. (I mean, I understand it in a sense-- Pearl Jam fans are older now, they have jobs, they have family responsibilities, they waste enormous amounts of time on the internet that they didn't in 1993-- but I don't understand it in the sense that, for me, as a card-carrying member of the Pearl Jam fan club, a new Pearl Jam album is a major event that always precipitates daily listening to that album for months on end. That has always been a joy for me, not a chore.)
    It is a major event, but the albums weren’t consistent enough for me to want to listen to all the way through.  Gigaton has about six songs I would skip every time.  Dark Matter has none.
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:
    BF25394 said:

I kind of figured that might have been the case. Well, welcome to the fold. But don't decide the albums don't excite you until you give them at least a few listens! You might not believe it, but there's some stuff on those albums that's even better than "Hummus"!
    Thank you!   True I need to dive in and give the albums a good listen to decide.   Hummus is a banger :lol:  I see right away that there are def some gems on these albums.  
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,407

I agree!  I can't listen to it just once.  Everytime I listen to it I have to play it twice through.  What a great feeling!  :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Agreed.  Best album since yield.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited May 26
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:

👍🏽👍🏽 gotcha. And BTW I do like both albums. I am just not moved the same way as I am with most of the other albums. 
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hard to argue with this post. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    I was listening to Gigaton for the last 4 years
    I miss igotid88
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,613
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hard to argue with this post. 

Yes, very hard Abe because, how does anyone know what "best" is?  I know  a lot of fans find DM to be better than anything since Yield, and I'm glad for them- I truly am.  I just hesitate to ever say "best" about almost any album by anybody.  I can see saying "favorite", but "best" is too hard to ... well, like you say, to argue about or prove.  My favorites are still Yield, No Code and Riot Act.  Are any of those their best?  I don't have a clue!

Anyway, I'm glad so many fans are excited about DM.  Happiness over music is always good.  Good for the soul, good for the world, maybe (probably) even good for the universe.  Hard to beat that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

igotid88 said:
    How did you not skip Never Destination and Take the Long Way? 
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,833
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:

Feel the same way. I already knew I hated lightning bolt (for a pj album at least)...but I liked Gigaton a good bit, and find it significantly less impressive now that the band has revealed what they are still capable of with Dark Matter.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    igotid88 said:
    How did you not skip Never Destination and Take the Long Way? 
    Cause they are good
    I miss igotid88
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    I like every album.  Post-Yield my first album play throughs are usually like "hmm this is cool."  "I like this.  This song is different"   "that's a good song"  "that could be a hit".     

My first DM listen was in the theater.  Every song was so good that we were laughing and shaking our heads by the half way mark.  It's all opinions but to me this blows everything they've done since 1999 out of the water.  Every song is so well crafted and they're really going for it.  It's hard not to notice a difference between really good and amazing.  
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    If I had to listen to LB or Gigaton over and over I would dislike them even more. The songs I dislike would not grow on me instead I would hate them even more bringing the whole albums down with it.