Evolution

DempsDemps Posts: 102
I really hope this doesn't come off as a thread complaining about the tours, the band or the setlists. But it's the internet, so I kind of expect any nuance that I might be able to weave into the thoughts below might be missed. So I'll just say this is coming from a place of love, hope and appreciation for everything I have witnessed in my years experience the best live band on the planet.

My first show was on the Vs. tour in 1994 when they band was pretty much playing their entire catalogue to fill a set. I think they opened with RVM that night, Ledbetter was in the middle of the set and they closed with STBC, which they hadn't even played in the Atlanta show that we all listened to on the radio the week before. In between then and now I have been lucky enough to see the band 25 times or so. I've been at marathon gigs (Halloween in Philly), REALLY short festivals spots (Global Citizen) and have seen them open for Petty and the Heartbreakers. I loved the sweet spot of those 30 song shows they were playing seemingly all the time between Backspacer and Lightning Bolt where they got new stuff in, played favorites for the casuals and snuck 4 - 5 deep cuts in every night. At one point along the way though, I noticed that I wasn't really as in the moment at some of the shows as I should have been. When something like Jeremy or Even Flow would start for the 20th time I would kind of drift off. Then a couple years back I took my niece to a couple shows in Canada and watched the show through her eyes for the first time. Seeing the whole arena celebrate Jeremy and sing it together was fucking incredible and I was annoyed with myself for taking it for granted.

I have been approaching every show as my last these days. I appreciate the energy of the shorter setlists (as do my 48 year old legs and my 48 year old bladder). I miss the depth of the setlists but still appreciate the artistry that goes into re-arranging the flow nightly and the treat of the more rare deep cut or 2 that they are still able to work in. Every song they play - whether it is a new one I haven't heard before, or a radio hit for the people who only like Ten and Vs., I try to appreciate it as if I will never get the chance to hear it again. I key in on Jeff or Matt if I have never watched them during Mike's solo or try to enjoy the whole scene and remember what made me love the song in the first place. To appreciate that I have been so lucky to see certain songs played almost two dozen times. What a life.

I won't get to see the Dark Matter tour in person til they get back stateside and hit the east coast at the end of summer and I got tickets to as many shows as I could. I like that they are continuing to evolve and experimenting with a multimedia vibe with the video wall, even though it changes how experimental they can be with the setlist, particularly the Dark Matter chunks that seem tidally locked to the visuals, but I am along for the ride and excited to see how they approach this new style of show in person, especially on the latter leg. It's pretty cool that they are playing a good amount of the new record, as it is great and I felt the same when they got deep into Gigaton on the last tour (RIP Who Ever Said being a staple in the set list - was hoping that would find a permanent home).

I am going to try to keep approaching each one as my last, cause who knows? When I first listened to the new record - specifically Upper Hand and Setting Sun - I got hit with the idea that this is it in some way. It feels very final to me. In many ways like a bookend to Ten. There seems to be a lot of finality to it. That could be totally in my imagination, but I can't shake the feeling that this might be the last big tour. Hope I'm wrong, but either way - really looking forward to September. 
I suggest you step out on your porch...run away my son...see it all...oh see the world // I wait on the porch...hoping someday I'll be let in

Springfield, MA 4/6/94 -- Boston, MA 4/11/94 -- Hartford, CT 10/2/96 -- Hartford, CT 9/13/98 -- Mansfield, MA 7/2/03 -- Reading, PA 10/1/04 -- Albany, NY 5/12/06 -- Milwaukee, WI 6/29/06 -- Mansfield, MA 6/30/08 -- Toronto, ON 9/21/09 -- Philadelphia, PA 10/31/09 -- Worcester, MA 10/16/13 -- Hartford, CT 10/25/13 -- New York, NY 9/26/15 -- New York, NY 5/2/16 -- Boston, MA 8/5/16 -- Boston, MA 8/7/16 -- Boston, MA 9/2/18 -- Boston, MA 9/4/18 -- London, UK 7/8/22 -- Hamilton, ON 9/6/22 -- Toronto, ON 9/8/22 -- New York, NY 9/11/22 -- Chicago, IL 9/5/23 -- Chicago, IL 9/7/23 -- New York, NY 9/3/24 -- Philadelphia, PA 9/7/24 -- Philadelphia, PA 9/9/24

Comments

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,489
    Great post. I'm with you on these points of each one like it's the last because it will be one day. Could be today. Nothing is certain 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    Demps said:
    I really hope this doesn't come off as a thread complaining about the tours, the band or the setlists. But it's the internet, so I kind of expect any nuance that I might be able to weave into the thoughts below might be missed. So I'll just say this is coming from a place of love, hope and appreciation for everything I have witnessed in my years experience the best live band on the planet.

My first show was on the Vs. tour in 1994 when they band was pretty much playing their entire catalogue to fill a set. I think they opened with RVM that night, Ledbetter was in the middle of the set and they closed with STBC, which they hadn't even played in the Atlanta show that we all listened to on the radio the week before. In between then and now I have been lucky enough to see the band 25 times or so. I've been at marathon gigs (Halloween in Philly), REALLY short festivals spots (Global Citizen) and have seen them open for Petty and the Heartbreakers. I loved the sweet spot of those 30 song shows they were playing seemingly all the time between Backspacer and Lightning Bolt where they got new stuff in, played favorites for the casuals and snuck 4 - 5 deep cuts in every night. At one point along the way though, I noticed that I wasn't really as in the moment at some of the shows as I should have been. When something like Jeremy or Even Flow would start for the 20th time I would kind of drift off. Then a couple years back I took my niece to a couple shows in Canada and watched the show through her eyes for the first time. Seeing the whole arena celebrate Jeremy and sing it together was fucking incredible and I was annoyed with myself for taking it for granted.

I have been approaching every show as my last these days. I appreciate the energy of the shorter setlists (as do my 48 year old legs and my 48 year old bladder). I miss the depth of the setlists but still appreciate the artistry that goes into re-arranging the flow nightly and the treat of the more rare deep cut or 2 that they are still able to work in. Every song they play - whether it is a new one I haven't heard before, or a radio hit for the people who only like Ten and Vs., I try to appreciate it as if I will never get the chance to hear it again. I key in on Jeff or Matt if I have never watched them during Mike's solo or try to enjoy the whole scene and remember what made me love the song in the first place. To appreciate that I have been so lucky to see certain songs played almost two dozen times. What a life.

I won't get to see the Dark Matter tour in person til they get back stateside and hit the east coast at the end of summer and I got tickets to as many shows as I could. I like that they are continuing to evolve and experimenting with a multimedia vibe with the video wall, even though it changes how experimental they can be with the setlist, particularly the Dark Matter chunks that seem tidally locked to the visuals, but I am along for the ride and excited to see how they approach this new style of show in person, especially on the latter leg. It's pretty cool that they are playing a good amount of the new record, as it is great and I felt the same when they got deep into Gigaton on the last tour (RIP Who Ever Said being a staple in the set list - was hoping that would find a permanent home).

I am going to try to keep approaching each one as my last, cause who knows? When I first listened to the new record - specifically Upper Hand and Setting Sun - I got hit with the idea that this is it in some way. It feels very final to me. In many ways like a bookend to Ten. There seems to be a lot of finality to it. That could be totally in my imagination, but I can't shake the feeling that this might be the last big tour. Hope I'm wrong, but either way - really looking forward to September. 
    Being 53 years young (and going on 54 this year), I totally get where you're coming from when you say you're approaching all your shows as if they were your last. By that I'm not implying that I'll be dead before the next tour but with ticket prices increasing & the cost of travel going up, the days of hitting up multiple shows in other cities/countries might be long gone for me. So when I went to the show in Sac the other night knowing it was probably going to be the only show I'd be able to catch this tour, I was hoping I would get a heavy dose of the new album and they didn't let me down. I rocked out so hard and lost myself in the songs like I hadn't done at a PJ show in quite some time, and boy did it feel good. 

And you're not crazy with your thoughts as I wondered to myself if this might be the last album/big tour we see by the band. The album does have a celebratory "closure" feel to it if you will. And one particular lyric in Got to Give stood out for me that might suggest we're nearing the end, it's when he sings "Getting to the point, got nothing left to sing". I'm probably just reading too much into things, but one thing is for sure, this ride won't last forever and the end of the line is closer to reality than it's ever been. So enjoy the music & as many live shows while you can.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    I've been approaching each one as my last for a while now. Because I don't know if there will be another tour, and even if there is I don't know if it will be in the cards for me to go. They play fewer shows and travel is getting more expensive.
    I've never understood the dislike for the hits. I enjoy Even Flow every time I hear it. Sure, there are song I'd rather hear instead, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it every time and I'm certainly not running off to the bathroom when it comes on. 
    I've sometimes wondered what the end will look like. Will there be a farewell tour or show, will there be a PJ40 send off? Or will 8 years pass without any news and we realize its been over for a while?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    Great post OP.  Definitely how i feel as I get older.  Who knows how long I can't keep up and how long they can stay this great of a live band.  Right now it's a nice sweet spot of able to spend the money for 4 shows and still seeing a killer band.  Who knows what happens down the line.  Live in the moment and appreciate how great they still are.   Also as for the hits there is a certain higher level of energy when the hits are played so in the moment they are fantastic.  I might skip them on the boots after but don't think anyone can deny the energy they bring out.  It's why I've always took setlists of shows I wasn't at with a grain of salt before commenting.  For example the other night, saw Faithful was played and thought that is killer, but it appears it wasn't a great version. Only those in the moment got that it wasn't great in the moment.  Enjoy the songs the boys play.