Who inspired you to play guitar ?

Comments

• sustainediasustainedia Posts: 112
    the riff to dire straits' money for nothing

and nirvana. power chords rock.
  • oyster jellyoyster jelly Posts: 107
    The first real guitar player I idolized was Ace Frehley. Then Randy Rhoads. When I did actually start to play, Hendrix, SRV, Tony Iommi were the shit.
    " A toast to Buffalo...who new it could be so beautiful..." EV 5/2/03

" This one's for the home team...."
    Eddie before they broke out Rats 5/12/06

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
  • SteveMurraySteveMurray Posts: 66
    definately kurt cobain got me to pick up a guitar but when i saw pj in 2003 that got me motivated to start writting my own stuff
  • Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    the riff to dire straits' money for nothing

and nirvana. power chords rock.

Same... I heard the intro to money for nothing in grade 3 and have been playing ever since... as far as form and style goes though... SRV, McCready, Iommi, Hendrix, Angus...
    Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
  • DirtLikeMeDirtLikeMe Posts: 91
    The main riff to Alive. I practiced over and over to get the whole song right.

However, the first song that I ever learned was "Wish You Were Here" - Pink Floyd.
    And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
  • Jimmy Page, then I saw a video of Stevie Ray Vaughn playing live...almost cried.....but now Im completly influenced by Mike and Stone....Im not the best lead player so I just try to be the most well rounded player I can.
  • bob dylan- mad dude
    But you break like a little girl.
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    Billy Gibbons-ZZ Top. When I was 7, I was obsessed with La Grange, Then I really started paying attention to Tom Scholtz's riffs on Boston's 1st record & I was sold.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• kristmacekristmace Posts: 215
    Kurt Cobain (especialy unplugged)
    2000: Manchester | 2006: Astoria, Dublin, Leeds | 2007: Wembley, Nijmegen | 2008: New York 1 & 2 | 2009: Shepherds Bush, Manchester, London | 2010: Hyde Park | 2012: Manchester 1 & 2, EV London 1 & 2 | 2014: Stockholm, Leeds, Milton Keynes | 2017: EV Dublin | 2018: London 2 | 2019: EV London | 2022: London 1& 2 | 2024: Manchester

• Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    John5 Stone and Jerry Cantrell inspired me to play guitar
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • JASGMMEVJASGMMEV Posts: 19
    Mike McCready is the reason I play guitar. How can you watch him during an Evenflow solo and not want to try that? Maybe Pete Townshend inspired me a bit too.
    "Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid," Goethe said that.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Peter Buck and Beck.

Yeah I know they're not up there with SRV and Hendrix but they influenced me to pick up a guitar.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • chrisw_30chrisw_30 Posts: 21
    James Hetfield
    Daniel Johns
    Kirk Hammett
    Carpe Diem Baby
  • GabiGabi Posts: 6
    When I was 10 years old my dad was listen to B.B. King Live at Apolo, great album, i was in love by the melodie, after B.B.King my dad put Stevie Ray Vaughn, i was almost "out of myself", and to finish, Summertime by Janis Joplin. It was a really big day for me, that day i resolved that someday I was going to learn guitar.
    But I olny start to play the guitar at 15 years old, then, PJ was my biggest influence.
  • Jimmy pAge - Over the hills and far away primarily.
    That was 11 years ago....and I still play that song alot to this day.
    "Sean Hannity knows there is no greater threat to America today than Bill Clinton 15 years ago"- Stephen Colbert
  • CaptainSpaz91CaptainSpaz91 Posts: 266
    TABBYCAT wrote:
    for me it was jimmy page ,steve vai...(damn i drool when i see this guy play!!) and jerry cantrell from AIC those people were a big inspiration for me ,what about you?

Def. Jerry Cantrell was huge, especially watching him with those solos on AIC Unplugged I loved it. And PJ.....mainly black and the riff to alive.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • JasmineJasmine Posts: 22
    I got my first guitar about 5 years ago. My grandfather left it for me when he died. Around the same time, my mom gave me her old vinyl collection. I listened to Clapton, VanHalen and Hendrix, and before my mom could even sign me up for lessons, I was playing "Kiss the Sky"... it's amazing what having timeless mentors like them can do. Eventually Nirvana and Pearl Jam got me into writing my own music.
    ONWARD!... but not upward... that would be weird.
  • Well technically Robert Deleo (of STP) got me into playing bass, and love playing his riffs. After that I tried to start writing songs, and just went out and bought a cheap guitar. Funny thing is bass playing wise, I love guitar oriented rock, I.E. Black Crowes, Blind Melon, Big Head Todd and the Monsters.

Guitar playing wise, I love the power pop punk thing.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    don maclean.
  • Monkey ManMonkey Man Posts: 20
    The Beatles were the first band I got into, and really George was the guy who inspired me to play.
  • Johnny Fr00sh dog!3434
  • KovoKovo Posts: 255
    I needed a hobby, and it was guitar or keyboard. Thank God I got a guitar :D
    I shouldn't have to fight a battle I'll never win, just to lose those I've never had.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Micheal J. Fox in Back to the Future. I was ten and before that I had a 4 string nylon toy guitar that had been my brothers. So I was trying to play along to duran duran on that guitar or a yardstick. My parents got sick of it so they sent me to lessons. So my influences went from Rick Springfield, Duran Duran, Chuck Berry via Marty McFly, C.C. Deville, Ritchie Sambora, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Hendrix, Stones, Kurt Cobain, Mike McCready.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546
    Mark Knopfler made me want to play. Stone/Mike/Zappa made me want to be GOOD!!!
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • stefanwastefanwa Posts: 43
    After I saw Grant-Lee Phillips live in Vienna about 4 years ago...was one of the best decisions of my life!
  • MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
    Well I fell in love with the sound of a guitar through smashing pumpkins in grade 7 and 8. That was the first time I really liked some guitar parts as much as the whole of the song.

But I finally started playing cause of Ed. I wanted to write songs, and sing them and play more than anything. funny I can't play and sing at all, or even sing :) But yah Ed was my biggest influence to actually start playing. Touring Band Ed to be specific. He looked so cool with his black Tele.

I swear that has nothing to do with my black tele hiwatt rig :)
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • mohomoho Posts: 541
    jimi hendrix at Isle of whight, voodoo chile still sends shivers up my spine!
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The first guitarist that I remember watching and thinking "yeah...I want to play guitar too" was Prince.
  • PintoMusicPintoMusic Posts: 73
    Originally, it was Slash.

Luckily, by the time I found out I could never play as good as Slash, Kurt Cobain came around and he became my hero.

Now, it's guys like Alain Johannes (from Eleven), Murray Lightburn (of The Dears), Johnny Greenwood (obviously of Radiohead) and esoteric jazz guys like Charlie Hunter that keep me inspired to play.
    www.PintoMusic.com
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Jimi Hendrix, and a certain crazy diamond.