Who inspired you to play guitar ?

TABBYCATTABBYCAT Posts: 118
edited September 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
for me it was jimmy page ,steve vai...(damn i drool when i see this guy play!!) and jerry cantrell from AIC those people were a big inspiration for me ,what about you?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJ, I think. Not one guitar player in particular.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    riff to alive...

then it finally came crashing down while i was pretending to jam out to "downtown": form mirrorball in 95....
  • my friends have a band and hanging around with those guys was probably my biggest influence
    if i had known then what i know now...
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    kurt cobain was my main inspiration when i started.
  • Stoney G
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Mike McCready and Stone Gossard
    Don't let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold. Remember why you came and while you're alive, experience the warmth before you grow old.

Best two days of my life: Oasis at MSG and Pearl Jam at the Gorge.
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Slash.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • my friend robert
    this heart's on fire
  • Jimmy Page.
    Bowwowwow...yippie yo...yippie ye...bow wow...yippie yo...yippie ye...
    -Eddie Vedder
    (Blood, 7-5-03, Camden 1)
  • Listen to "Machine Gun" live at the Fillmore by Jimi Hendrix and you hear why I picked up a guitar
    www.cluthelee.com
  • robrob Posts: 142
    Keith Richards, Satisfaction
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Bob Mould
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    yeah pearl jam, really, in general.
  • John Frusciante initially, i look up to McCready and Frusciante the most now.
    I don't have to sell my soul, he's already in me

If you've lost your faith in love and music the end won't be long
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    when I heard 10 for the first time I wanted to play guitar.

So probably Stone Gossard and Mike McCready, I know it's a cliche here but that's as accurate as I can be for now.

I wanted an instrument I could play and sing and shy as I am I probably thought it would impress girls.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • the first band that inspired me to pick up a guitar was Nirvana, but i find that over the 8 years that i've been playing i've come across many a time when things have come to a standstill and other guitarists have inspired me to get moving again or to take my playing into different areas. So McCready and Page inspired me to play lead guitar and more recently, i've been inspired by Kelly Joe Phelps and Catfish Keith to really explore the acoustic side of my playing.
  • slash i suppose
    Some people have to have the sultry evenings Cocktails in the blue, red and grey But I like every minute of the day.
    INTER-FUCKING-MISSION!!!
    Newcastle-Riverside 02/22/92!!!
    E.rutherford New Jersey 01/06/06
    Athens -Greece.survived !barely-
    Wembley 18/06/07- no words- just smiles!
  • Bruce springsteen, but it was plaing for my self, then i discovered punk and a friend of mine told me"after the pistols every guitar owner can crowl on stage and play" the band that inspired me the most in the will to play are the clash & pearl jam inspecially in songwriting & musicwriting.
    but bruce is still the best!
    walk with me out on a wire 'couse baby i'm just a scared an' lonley rider but i gotta find out how it feels i wonna know if love is wild i wonna know if love is real
    CAN YOU SHOW ME?! B springsteen

... Cuz in 1985 (as right now) the blind faith in your leaders or in any thing will get you killed, couse what i'm talkin' about here is WAR! b SPRINGSTEEN

yankee dollar talks to the dictators of the world infact is givin' orders an' they can't afford to miss a word
    i'm so bored with the USA- the CLASH
  • Eddie Van Halen

Still hold the pick between my thumb and middle finger like he does...
    Vote Democrat - it's easier than getting a job.
    "Let me tell you about Eda Munson. She's 94. She's a widow living on Social Security in Sparta, Tennessee.
    Eda was born with only one kidney. She also suffers from polio, spinal meningitis, lung, liver, and pancreatic cancer, an enlarged heart, diabetes, and a rare form of cystic acne.
    Now, several recent strokes along with an unfortunate shark attack has left her paralyzed and missing her right leg under the knee.
    Just last week she awoke from a coma to find that, due to a hospital mix-up, her right arm had been amputated, infected with syphillis, and then reattached.
    As you can imagine, Eda's prescription drug bills are staggering. They run to nearly $113 million per day. And she tells me that some weeks she has to choose between eating or treating her lyme disease.
    Now, under my plan Eda's prescription drug costs would be covered, however under Mr. Bush's plan, her house would be burned to the ground and her children would be forced to drink contaminated water and eat meat from cows who have inhaled secondhand smoke. And that is wrong.
    That is just wrong."
    - Any Democrat running this year
  • no one really a guitar did just the look of it when i was little,

i always tried to make one out of little pieces of wood around my dads lumber company
    it never played though

maybe cuz the strings werent thier oh yeah or the guitar
    "thiers still time to escape, youve got time to escape
    thiers still time so escape,,,,
    auuuhhheehhh yaeeahh "
  • Jimi Hendrix
    Stevie Ray
    And Mr Mcready

They are the fuel to my playing
    This is the greatest band in the world
    -Ben Harper-MSG 1 2003 -7-8
  • originally it was my dad

but then i got into punk stuff which is bleh right now save the ramones

then pearl jam
    period.

mike and stoned open my eyes to hendrix and page and pete townshend
    ...please stand by the shore
  • McCready and Stone, Slash, Jerry Cantrell, Kirk Hammett, Kurt C. and believe it or not Bradley Nowell of sublime. Now its, Jimmy P., Jimi H., and SRV!
    PJ + AIC = LoveThemBones
  • well i learned piano first because of the beatles.
    guitar because of pearl jam.
    once dissolved we are free to grow...
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I really couldn't say, I'd ALWAYS wanted to play guitar, and the guy who lived across the hall from me let me borrow his guitar last year,and I'm taking it from there

Big step for me : I'm buying that first guitar I played off of him tommorow. woot.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the beatles..................
  • we were in the middle of a 12 hour drive home from vacation 4 years back and zeppelins over the hills and far away came on the radio and i was just awe struck at how beautiful it sounded...i'd never "really" paid attention to how amazing a guitar can sound and after hearing that i decided it was time to pick up a guitar and start playing...that was the first song i learned to...it took me a goddamn month and my fingers hurt so bad...but once i was able to play that jangly intro i was addicted...guitar is worse than coke man...you just can not stop once you start

...so jimmy page...god bless that man...god bless him
    if you're a pot smoker and you don't own a ukulele you're fuckin up...but then once you get a ukulele you might end up moving to a guitar because its a gateway instrument you know
    ~ EV 6/25/03
  • Originally posted by xmascleanlove

...so jimmy page...god bless that man...god bless him

amen to that he's the best!!!
  • rybesrybes Posts: 136
    listening to PJ
  • babzbabz Posts: 18
    my older brother when i was a child, then a band called therapy, then hendrix and page...

yer a (class A) band/team

keep it coming!!!!
    IF YOU CAN KEEP COOL AROUND HERE.... AMONG THE CONFUSION.......YOU REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND THE SITUATION!!!