Options

Klinghoffer - Necessary?

13»

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,879
    edited April 30
    JT167846 said:
    Think Wreckage will definitely need Josh's vocals, not to mention those of a few more band members. I haven't seen them since the last pre-Covid show at Fenway so don't know if he's taken over some of the vocal legwork from Matt but assume that could be the case. Anyone able to confirm that?
    I thought it was super interesting that Josh rather than Matt did the backing vox on Take The Long Way, even though Matt wrote the damn thing. 
    Where are you getting that from? The Gigaton liner notes don't show any Josh on "Take the Long Way." They actually credit Matt with "guitar, programming, vocal" and Meagan Grandall and Nathan Yaccino with backing vocals. The Josh who is credited elsewhere on the album (e.g., keys on "Never Destination") is Josh Evans, not Josh Klinghoffer.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Off the top of my head:

1. Prevented 2 shows from being cancelled by killing it on Oakland 2022 shows.
    2. Played a great version of Buttercup with Stone before one of those shows (maybe both, but I was too late to see him the first show) in addition to being a great opening act.
    3. Killer drum off with Stuverud at the 2nd Oakland show at the end of WMA.

"We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    JT167846 said:
    Think Wreckage will definitely need Josh's vocals, not to mention those of a few more band members. I haven't seen them since the last pre-Covid show at Fenway so don't know if he's taken over some of the vocal legwork from Matt but assume that could be the case. Anyone able to confirm that?
    I thought it was super interesting that Josh rather than Matt did the backing vox on Take The Long Way, even though Matt wrote the damn thing. 
    Where are you getting that from? The Gigaton liner notes don't show any Josh on "Take the Long Way." They actually credit Matt with "guitar, programming, vocal" and Meagan Grandall and Nathan Yaccino with backing vocals. The Josh who is credited elsewhere on the album (e.g., keys on "Never Destination") is Josh Evans, not Josh Klinghoffer.
    Live, I meant.
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    rrivers said:
    Off the top of my head:

2. Played a great version of Buttercup with Stone before one of those shows (maybe both, but I was too late to see him the first show) in addition to being a great opening act.

He covered for Matt at Ft Worth 1 last summer, next show after Indy was cancelled
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    JT167846 said:
    Live, I meant.
    Ah, gotcha. I didn't really take notice of that at the shows, but I would guess that's just to make Matt's life a little easier.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,655
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    JT167846 said:
    Live, I meant.
    Ah, gotcha. I didn't really take notice of that at the shows, but I would guess that's just to make Matt's life a little easier.
    That's why he's 'necessary'. He makes everyone's jobs easier... this isn't complicated. 
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,118
    edited May 1
    I think similar questions were asked about Boom ‘back in the day’ and now we don’t question his presence or what he brings to live shows… I think as humans we don’t do change very well 😉🤔
    Post edited by Chazz on
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,552
    rrivers said:
    Off the top of my head:

YES, he and Stuverud did  play great on WMA(Oaklnad-2 was really a good show).

I HOPE Pearl Jam plays WMA on this tour
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    JT167846 said:
    Live, I meant.
    That's why he's 'necessary'. He makes everyone's jobs easier... this isn't complicated. 
    To be clear, Josh is a mensch and I'm happy he's aboard. I don't think it's complicated, and I don't think anyone in this line of the thread was questioning Josh's presence.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,655
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    JT167846 said:
    Live, I meant.
    To be clear, Josh is a mensch and I'm happy he's aboard. I don't think it's complicated, and I don't think anyone in this line of the thread was questioning Josh's presence.
    My statement about this not being complicated was less directed at you (apologies it wasn't more clear), and more to the question posed by OP.

If Pearl Jam thinks he's necessary (& clearly they do) then that's that. 
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    Zod said:
    After what happened in Oakland, he feels a bit like an understudy.   He seems extremely talented on a number of instruments.   With band members getting sick and what not, he's kind of their ace up the sleeve to attempt to keep a showing going.   Part of me wondered if there's long term planning there :(
    Missed Matt at these shows, but glad they didn't have to cancel. Was weird when the first show started and he was on the kit. Didn't actually know who it was until Eddie said something after a couple songs.
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,277
    I questioned how necessary he was when first brought in as well. I mean, these guys had been doing just fine for over 30 years without him.
    However, I was side stage for Austin last year, and this dude worked his ass off the entire show. Most people don't realize how much he contributes because he's hidden away in the back. But he's won me over. I have no problem with him being a touring member of the band.