Dark Matter pressings

2»

Comments

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    The pressing of the CD is perfect. No distortion whatsoever.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,045
    Those who have had IGD issues: have you checked the alignment of your cartridge with a protractor to make sure it is set correctly?

Any time I encounter IGD or sibilance, correct alignment is the first thing I check. Even if your turntable was professionally set up for you, sometimes the cartridge will shift in the headshell over time and with use. 

Alignment protractors can be bought very inexpensively or you can even print a template yourself for free from a number of online sources. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    dudeman said:
    Those who have had IGD issues: have you checked the alignment of your cartridge with a protractor to make sure it is set correctly?

Any time I encounter IGD or sibilance, correct alignment is the first thing I check. Even if your turntable was professionally set up for you, sometimes the cartridge will shift in the headshell over time and with use. 

Alignment protractors can be bought very inexpensively or you can even print a template yourself for free from a number of online sources. 
    I have not checked but this is also the only album I have this issue with that I have noticed.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,153
    CD releases so far ..

• KwynnKwynn Posts: 10
    edited May 10
    dudeman said:

I dug out my alignment protractor and made an ever so slight cartridge adjustment at the 130mm setting. Then I measured the stylis force, which was spot on for my cartridge.

Replayed the RSD pressing - still encountered IGD.  The overall sound is still dirty and very poor.

My Missoula variant arrived yesterday (Thanks @demetrios and Ear Candy !) It sounds far superior to the RSD pressing.  Which was a relief as I was thinking I'd need to buy the 10C clear variant to get decent sound.

I've been listening to some Pink Floyd remasters
    and the RSD Talking Heads Live At WCOZ 77, which was cut at 45RPM. So perhaps  my ears are spoiled and expect better sound.

Regardless, I'm highly disappointed in the RSD Dark Matter pressing.
    Post edited by Kwynn on
    2003 Missoula, MT
    2005 The Gorge Amphitheatre, WA
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,153
    ^ No problemo!
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,045
    Kwynn said:
    dudeman said:

I dug out my alignment protractor and made the an ever so slight cartridge adjustment at the 130mm setting. Then I measured the stylis force, which was spot on for my cartridge.

Replayed the RSD pressing - still encountered IGD.  The overall sound is still dirty and very poor.

My Missoula variant arrived yesterday (Thanks @demetrios and Ear Candy !) It sounds far superior to the RSD pressing.  Which was a relief as I was thinking I'd need to buy the 10C clear variant to get decent sound.

I've been listening to some Pink Floyd remasters
    and the RSD Talking Heads Live At WCOZ 77, which was cut at 45RPM. So perhaps  my ears are spoiled and expect better sound.

Regardless, I'm highly disappointed in the RSD Dark Matter pressing.
    That's a bummer about the pressing. Thanks for taking the time to post your findings on your alignment. 

Those Pink Floyd remasters are terrific!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    Mentioned this in the stickied thread...

So, I was listening to these variants using my tt and a newer (2019) Onkyo amp I have, not very powerful, 20W speakers, etc.   The variants sounded muddy.  

Then I got my new (vintage) Marantz Amp, and new 75W speakers, and holy cow, it opened up beautifully.  I still think the Clear and Black are the best, but all of the variants I have sounded really pretty good.   I wonder if just equipment is to blame for some of the sound. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • mrk2mrk2 Posts: 2,067
    Does anyone have a pressed at Pallas clear variant. The discogs entry seems weird with pictures having the made in czech republic sticker.

where could one get the Pallas variant from? Universal-music.de has clear variant available, but is it this?
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
    Vedd Hedd said:

So, I was listening to these variants using my tt and a newer (2019) Onkyo amp I have, not very powerful, 20W speakers, etc.   The variants sounded muddy.  

Then I got my new (vintage) Marantz Amp, and new 75W speakers, and holy cow, it opened up beautifully.  I still think the Clear and Black are the best, but all of the variants I have sounded really pretty good.   I wonder if just equipment is to blame for some of the sound. 
    If that's the case there should be a warning label indicating the component and watt requirements necessary to achieve maximum sound quality.
    2003 Missoula, MT
    Kwynn said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

If that's the case there should be a warning label indicating the component and watt requirements necessary to achieve maximum sound quality.
    Maybe, but I mean a lot of that is subjective.  Literally a warning could be on any music, "Dont play this on a shitty system."

The CD sounds great in my car and my CD player, sucks on my daughters Lil Boombox.  

Same goes for vinyl...I think older records sound better than reissues, some people like the newer ones cause the have less damage.  But it is what it is.  

I think amps mostly suck nowadays for vinyl.  
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Kwynn said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Maybe, but I mean a lot of that is subjective.  Literally a warning could be on any music, "Dont play this on a shitty system."

The CD sounds great in my car and my CD player, sucks on my daughters Lil Boombox.  

Same goes for vinyl...I think older records sound better than reissues, some people like the newer ones cause the have less damage.  But it is what it is.  

if you have low power speakers though, that is not the AMP,  I have an Onkyo manufactured in 2016 which sounds fine powering Klipsch RB-51-IIs, it has a minimum rating of 50 watts per channel and up to 100 watts at 8 ohm, the speakers are 75 watts.  I still use a phono-pre instead of the onboard as that really allows vinyl to shine.  

Basically anytime you upgrade your system you are going to see both benefits and drawbacks.  But a Marantz with higher watt speakers is like drinking a great espresso after having dunkin donuts regular blend forever.  The vinyl for these are still not peak, especially the city variants made at GZ, but definitely will sound better with your new system.   What kind of turntable and cart are you using?
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

Vedd Hedd said:
    Kwynn said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

My last comment was "some what" tongue in cheek.   As @PB11041 said " The vinyl for these are still not peak, especially the city variants made at GZ ..."

Although my system is relatively low end, all my other vinyl sounds great to amazing depending on the pressing.  As I mentioned earlier I've been listening to the Pink Floyd remasters which are next level and then put on the RSD Dark Matter and wonder why I paid nearly $50 for such a poor quality pressing.
    2003 Missoula, MT
    PB11041 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Kwynn said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

if you have low power speakers though, that is not the AMP,  I have an Onkyo manufactured in 2016 which sounds fine powering Klipsch RB-51-IIs, it has a minimum rating of 50 watts per channel and up to 100 watts at 8 ohm, the speakers are 75 watts.  I still use a phono-pre instead of the onboard as that really allows vinyl to shine.  

Basically anytime you upgrade your system you are going to see both benefits and drawbacks.  But a Marantz with higher watt speakers is like drinking a great espresso after having dunkin donuts regular blend forever.  The vinyl for these are still not peak, especially the city variants made at GZ, but definitely will sound better with your new system.   What kind of turntable and cart are you using?
    I have a U-Turn Orbit, with an Ortofon blue.  For my pre-amp (when not using the Marantz) is a Schiit Mani.  
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    Kwynn said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Kwynn said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

My last comment was "some what" tongue in cheek.   As @PB11041 said " The vinyl for these are still not peak, especially the city variants made at GZ ..."

Although my system is relatively low end, all my other vinyl sounds great to amazing depending on the pressing.  As I mentioned earlier I've been listening to the Pink Floyd remasters which are next level and then put on the RSD Dark Matter and wonder why I paid nearly $50 for such a poor quality pressing.
    Yeah, I hear you.  The variants are definitely not prime.  I have a very old copy of Pink Floyd ABITW, and it sounds great on either system. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,610
    mrk2 said:
    Does anyone have a pressed at Pallas clear variant. The discogs entry seems weird with pictures having the made in czech republic sticker.

where could one get the Pallas variant from? Universal-music.de has clear variant available, but is it this?
    I’m beginning to think Discogs is wrong. I even think the RTI plating claim is off. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    could someone who got the clear from 10C just open their copy and look at the runnouts?  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    I've yet to spin any of my vinyl copies yet just because the Atmos bluray sounds way too good.  

• Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,591
    PB11041 said:
    could someone who got the clear from 10C just open their copy and look at the runnouts?  
    Mine from 10C matches this (even though its listed as Euro release)
    https://www.discogs.com/release/30442613-Pearl-Jam-Dark-Matter
    OK. I think I'm gonna have to get the 10c Clear. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,559
    Ok, so the clear is a legit Pallas?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • JedJed New York City Posts: 1,175
    I've yet to spin any of my vinyl copies yet just because the Atmos bluray sounds way too good.  

What are you playing the bluray on? I have a sonos atmos soundbar and a bluray play but my surrounds and sub aren't atoms so I don't know if I'm hearing it correclty.
    edited May 29
    Ok. So my clear arrived today from the 10c (US store).

Looking at the deadwax, its the same as the 10c. No notes on it being pressed at Pallas. 

If you look at the Discogs listing for clear (rn, theres just Europe, no US listing), everything is the exact same except for the Pallas code. on my US ordered clear it is not listed after Matt@Metropolis=. 

Probably worthwhile to add a US listing. I guess I'll order a clear from Europe and see if thats better.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    Ok. So my clear arrived today. I cleaned it in a full cycle on my Degritter. That’s probably over kill, but if I’m doing an ABC with my 10c red and my Chicago variant, I want to be thorough. 

I did an AB on the 10c and Chicago a few weeks back. Ultimately it was a toss up. Low end was better on the 10c, with the nights better on the Chicago variant. City variants are pressed at CZ and Furnace did the 10c (apparently).

so adding the clear to this mix I have to say sound wise it’s on par with the 10c. Deep low end but the highs aren’t really crisp. I will say the vinyl is light years quieter than the other two. This leads me to conclude it was probably pressed at Pallas because they have fantastic QC and are known as probably the best plant in the world. 

Ultimately, it’s the mastering of the record that hurts the most. We all know it’s compressed to hell and it’s very noticeable here still. 

So my advice if you want the best sounding colored copy, the 10c clear is the way to go. 
    Thanks for taking the time to compare the pressings. And thanks for the insight.
    2003 Missoula, MT
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,559
    Ok. So my clear arrived today from the 10c (US store).

Looking at the deadwax, its the same as the 10c. No notes on it being pressed at Pallas. 

If you look at the Discogs listing for clear (rn, theres just Europe, no US listing), everything is the exact same except for the Pallas code. on my US ordered clear it is not listed after Matt@Metropolis=. 

Probably worthwhile to add a US listing. I guess I'll order a clear from Europe and see if thats better.

Thanks for sharing this info. Definitely not ordering the clear through 10C then. Was hoping for the Pallas edition. 
    It's a hopeless situation...