Dark Matter pressings

garland09garland09 Posts: 833
I opted for the RSD version of Dark Matter.  Side B has a lot of background noise.  Has anyone listened to the clear version?  How does it sound?

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,610
    That would make sense. The RSD version was pressed at GZ and they make noisy vinyl. Not sure where the clear was pressed, but the Black version/10c Red  was pressed at a different plant. It’s a different cut. I personally found there were draw backs to that pressing as well, but it’s the slightly better pressing IMO
  • That’s a bummer to hear.  I’ve only listened to it once, but side B of my tenclub copy was noticeably quieter.  It still sounds good, just a little quieter.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    Yeah I think the 10c version sounds best from the copies I have
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • cweeks1111cweeks1111 Posts: 198
    I have Clear, Ten Club, and RSD. Clear is BY FAR the best pressing, IMO. Playing on a Fluance RT85, with a Ortofon 2M Blue Stylus, through AudioEngine A5+ speakers...

RSD sounds "thinner" and has more noise; the Ten Club version has IGD happening on "Got to Give" and "Setting Sun" which is super disappointing; Clear is has a much fuller sound, is cleaner, and no IGD.

This album really should have been 2 LPs, IMO.
  • Sirens4Sirens4 Posts: 590
    I have Clear, Ten Club, and RSD. Clear is BY FAR the best pressing, IMO. Playing on a Fluance RT85, with a Ortofon 2M Blue Stylus, through AudioEngine A5+ speakers...

RSD sounds "thinner" and has more noise; the Ten Club version has IGD happening on "Got to Give" and "Setting Sun" which is super disappointing; Clear is has a much fuller sound, is cleaner, and no IGD.

Do you recommend the Fluance RT85 with the blue2m? Im looking at that, I have had a technics direct drive with a Shure cartridge from the 80s all rebuilt but i want to preserve that and get something new. My Boston variant is thin sounding but the 10c red/black version sounds fantastic. 
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 736

I agree, I think 3 sides of music like gigaton would be perfect.

Is every variant the same weight? I have the black version and was surprised it wasn't 180g
  • KwynnKwynn Posts: 10
    My RSD pressing is very dirty and muffled sounding.  It sounds some what better the more I listen to it but I'm highly disappointed.  I've read various comments here and on Discogs indicating it sounds compressed.  Which might be fine for a digital copy but not on a $50 vinyl copy.
    2003 Missoula, MT
    2005 The Gorge Amphitheatre, WA
  • JC29866JC29866 Posts: 85
    I'm really enjoying the longer feel of the 1st side, since the album has such great natural flow.   Starting side B with "Upper Hand" makes a great transition into the second set of songs -   I think breaking up into more than one LP would diminish that.  Especially since my clear 10Club pressing sounds SO good.  However I do notice this pressing sounds "quiet" - even compared to my Taylor Swift TTPD vinyl.  Considering adding another pre-amp just so I can really crank this PJ record
    Clear is the only version I have not tried yet. Will do that tomorrow and see if its better. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Naked JohnNaked John Posts: 317
    Clear!
    Sirens4 said:

Do you recommend the Fluance RT85 with the blue2m? Im looking at that, I have had a technics direct drive with a Shure cartridge from the 80s all rebuilt but i want to preserve that and get something new. My Boston variant is thin sounding but the 10c red/black version sounds fantastic. 
    I absolutely do recommend the Fluance RT85 with the blue2m. I have the $100 Fluance preamp with that, and it does a fantastic job.

Is anyone else having the IGD issue with the end of the red/black 10c version? Maybe it's just me. I double checked my tracking and anti-skate, plus the plinth level, and everything checks out. And the red/black 10c verison is the only one of the 3 variants I have that sounds like that at the end of side B. Just happy that I have the clear version!
    beano.79 said:

Is every variant the same weight? I have the black version and was surprised it wasn't 180g
    As far as I know, they are all the same weight. I think it ultimately comes down to where they were pressed. I really wish all of these had been pressed at VMP's plant, as the Yield re-issue sounds amazing. And to me, the Gigaton pressing far exceeds these Dark Matter pressings.
  • Sirens4Sirens4 Posts: 590
    Sirens4 said:

I absolutely do recommend the Fluance RT85 with the blue2m. I have the $100 Fluance preamp with that, and it does a fantastic job.

Is anyone else having the IGD issue with the end of the red/black 10c version? Maybe it's just me. I double checked my tracking and anti-skate, plus the plinth level, and everything checks out. And the red/black 10c verison is the only one of the 3 variants I have that sounds like that at the end of side B. Just happy that I have the clear version!
    My black and Boston variant have IGD, will check red and black tonight
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008
  • I’ve got the RSD and Clear pressings. RSD is very disappointing and has audible clicks for the first minute or so on side B. 

Haven’t opened clear yet, will do so tonight 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,887
    Oh boy. I had ordered a clear as well as the 10C one, but then thought that was overkill and cancelled the clear order... now I wish I had cancelled the 10C one instead!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,610
    I see on Discogs, the Euro clear was pressed at Pallas in Germany. Is that the same for the 10c version? 
    Played Clear today, easily the best copy.  Although I didnt play the black yet. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,092
    I was always going to buy a second pressing probably. RSD looked nice but I didn't grab it, just picked up the clear from the store thanks to this discussion. 👍
    Also....try this...

Side B of the Clear vinyl + side B of the RSD Slipmat.  If you line it up correctly, the swirls line up and looks cool. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    Sirens4 said:

I have played the 10C marble red version several times and have not inner groove distortion, I also have an RT85 with a blue.  It is not ideal that they crammed nearly 27 minutes of music onto an LP side, but Matt Colton did a decent job and he cut the lacquers that were used for the Black, Clear, and Red TC Versions.

I have only listened to NY Variant and the 10C not the Black or Clear MC pressings.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

I see on Discogs, the Euro clear was pressed at Pallas in Germany. Is that the same for the 10c version? 
    Someone needs to look at their runnout, Discogs is a mess right now.  It should be that all 10C US were pressed at RTI, and all Euro at Pallas, but that is not certain yet.

beano.79 said:

As far as I know, they are all the same weight. I think it ultimately comes down to where they were pressed. I really wish all of these had been pressed at VMP's plant, as the Yield re-issue sounds amazing. And to me, the Gigaton pressing far exceeds these Dark Matter pressings.
    As of February of 2024 VMP has not yet pressed a record at their new plant, they had to sub contract out the pressing of Yield to Furnace after multiple delays made it clear they would not get the project done in 2023.  Gigaton is a great pressing, it was cut by Chris Bellman and plated and pressed at Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions.

As some people alluded to above, it would have been way better to breakup the b-side.  It could have easily been - Upper Hand, Waiting for Stevie, Segue, Running - then a side C of Got to Give and Setting Sun.  It would have jacked up the production cost, but it would have made for a better sound to everything on the B - Side.  All that said, given what Matt Colton had to work with, he did an impressive job getting this record into the tracklisting he was given for a single 33.3.

The GZ media variants are all pretty meh, you can give them a nice crank when not looking for that sparkle listen, but the best sounding are the RTI and I would assume the Euro Pallas are all equally good.

PB11041 said:
    beano.79 said:

As of February of 2024 VMP has not yet pressed a record at their new plant, they had to sub contract out the pressing of Yield to Furnace after multiple delays made it clear they would not get the project done in 2023.  Gigaton is a great pressing, it was cut by Chris Bellman and plated and pressed at Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions.

As some people alluded to above, it would have been way better to breakup the b-side.  It could have easily been - Upper Hand, Waiting for Stevie, Segue, Running - then a side C of Got to Give and Setting Sun.  It would have jacked up the production cost, but it would have made for a better sound to everything on the B - Side.  All that said, given what Matt Colton had to work with, he did an impressive job getting this record into the tracklisting he was given for a single 33.3.

The GZ media variants are all pretty meh, you can give them a nice crank when not looking for that sparkle listen, but the best sounding are the RTI and I would assume the Euro Pallas are all equally good.
    So which DM pressings were done at Furnace?  Just the Clear and Black?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    Vedd Hedd said:
    PB11041 said:
    beano.79 said:

So which DM pressings were done at Furnace?  Just the Clear and Black?
    I don't know if there were, I think we saw some video or photo that indicated dark matter being pressed at Furnace, but the only thing I know they had pressed at Furnace was the Yield reissue because VMP whiffed on getting their plant open.

• markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,075
    My clear has IGD. Bummed. I guess I'm not a real fan because I only bought one version, lol.

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • dogmattdogmatt Posts: 113
    edited April 30
    Such disappointing pressings of a great album.  It's hard to listen to. Bummer.  All my variants pretty much sound the same.  I have the RSD, 10C red, and the Chicago blue/red.
    Black and Clear sound equally good to me.  
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • toolfan2305toolfan2305 Posts: 356
    What is the Whiz Kalifa version?
    It looks like Furnace pressed at least the Black versions, per their Instagram account. Betting that they did others as well.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,153
    Received my 10club black vinyl today (top). It's thicker then the Euro edition (bottom). Euro vinyl includes the Made in Chech Republic sticker on the back, 10club doesn't have the sticker.