Options

Dark Matter projected to sell 55,000 physical copies in its first week

Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,985
I’m sure most of these are vinyl. 

Comments

• Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,753
    How is that possible when I bought 14 vinyls.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,389
    edited April 24
    I’m sure most of these are vinyl. 

Possibly, especially with the variants, but bear in mind that, of the 57,000 in first-week sales for Gigaton, only 14,000 were vinyl.

FYI-- of Taylor Swift's first-day sales of 1.4 million (that's right, I said first day, not first week), 600,000 were vinyl. CDs are still a thing.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 830
    Agree on CDs-have the standard and deluxe copies. I don't have the cash to get vinyl editions of my whole catalogue and travel to the extent I do. First world problems.

If bonus tracks and variants weren't a thing on TTPD and DM I wonder what the difference would be. 
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 714
    edited April 24
    You can’t compare Taylor Swift sales to Pearl Jam. Taylor has a chokehold on largest demographic in music consumption, teenagers. Pearl Jam maybe had some pull in that demographic in early 90’s, if ever. I would instead compare PJ to sales of other similar artists, Green Day, Foos, Metallica, etc. who are rock acts still putting out new material. All of those albums sold in 50-60k range I believe.
    Post edited by dreamweaver on
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,167
    edited April 24
    Another thing to consider is that, since the sales-tracking changes of Luminate on Jan. 1, nearly all of the recorded sales are at big retailers such as Target and Wal-Mart. The Indie Record stores, for now, are vastly under-represented in the tally. 

Post edited by bicyclejoe on
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 263
    Another thing to consider is that, since the sales-tracking changes of Luminate on Jan. 1, nearly all of the recorded sales are at big retailers such as Target and Wal-Mart. The Indie Record stores, for now, are vastly under-represented in the tally. 

That's interesting, did not know that.
    Do you have any more info / articles on that?
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,345
    What about Amazon sales?  I'll bet Amazon had way more sales than walmart and target!   I bought both the cd and vinyl from amazon.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,522
    Both of my adult daughters are Swifties, and asked me if I thought Pearl Jam's record would sell as many copies as Taylor's. My guess was that she would sell more copies in the first couple of weeks than PJ would sell for the rest of the year. Looks like it might be in just the first week.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,448
    You can’t compare Taylor Swift sales to Pearl Jam. Taylor has a chokehold on largest demographic in music consumption, teenagers. Pearl Jam maybe had some pull in that demographic in early 90’s, if ever. I would instead compare PJ to sales of other similar artists, Green Day, Foos, Metallica, etc. who are rock acts still putting out new material. All of those albums sold in 50-60k range I believe.
    Metallica sold 146,000 total their first week for 72 Seasons. As much as Metallica fans complain about their music at least they show up 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,226
    wow....i was thinking 100k , sad state of rock n roll i guess
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,112
    igotid88 said:
    Metallica sold 146,000 total their first week for 72 Seasons. As much as Metallica fans complain about their music at least they show up 
    What was the step down from Hardwired to 72 Seasons? If there was one.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 714
    igotid88 said:
    Honestly, I think that’s in same ballpark for “legacy” rock album sales these days. Metallica also has a bigger and somewhat different fan base than PJ. 
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,291
    That's not a lot.  Especially considering the variants, and how many die hards (including me) probably bought a few variants on vinyl and a cd copy :(

That's an impressive number for Taylor Swift, in an era where physical media doesn't usually sell large quantities.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,940
    What does "Activity" mean in this context? Purchased downloads?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 632
    Zod said:
    That's not a lot.  Especially considering the variants, and how many die hards (including me) probably bought a few variants on vinyl and a cd copy :(

That's an impressive number for Taylor Swift, in an era where physical media doesn't usually sell large quantities.
    Taylor’s variants carry unique bonus tracks so I bet a lot her sales were multiple too
  • Options
    Jcanr20Jcanr20 Illinois Posts: 120
    Disappointing. Especially considering how good this album is. I was hoping they would be rewarded with good sales/charts. 
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    My point is Metallica has had their fair share of criticism from fans. From the black album to Garage Inc. They always sell well. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    edited April 24
    I know they get paid very little for it, but is there a way to track how many downloads on spotify/apple music/other streaming sites?
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    My point is Metallica has had their fair share of criticism from fans. From the black album to Garage Inc. They always sell well. 
    Is 146.000 well, is my question. By Metallica-standards. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,271
    edited April 24
    Jcanr20 said:
    Disappointing. Especially considering how good this album is. I was hoping they would be rewarded with good sales/charts. 
    I don't really find it disappointing, I believe it's a conscious decision by the band.  They could have pushed different songs to radio and different radio stations. A few lyrical tweaks and shortening of songs could make them top hits but they prefer the artistic approach.

The marketing strategy of pointing your phone at the sky is wasted effort if you are looking for broad appeal.  It just feels to me like they are choosing to fly under the radar at this point in life. Never worked once on my phone.  I must be too outdated with Galaxy S21 being over 3 years old. That stuff might appeal to GenZ for newer bands but most of us between the age of 38 and 58 is like WTF and needs tech support to figure it out. 
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,753
    edited April 24
    Jcanr20 said:
    Me too. I was hoping for 100k-150k. 

Lord knows I did my part. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    Jcanr20 said:
    I don't really find it disappointing, I believe it's a conscious decision by the band.  They could have pushed different songs to radio and different radio stations. A few lyrical tweaks and shortening of songs could make them top hits but they prefer the artistic approach.

The marketing strategy of pointing your phone at the sky is wasted effort if you are looking for broad appeal.  It just feels to me like they are choosing to fly under the radar at this point in life. Never worked once on my phone.  I must be too outdated with Galaxy S21 being over 3 years old. That stuff might appeal to GenZ for newer bands but most of us between the age of 38 and 58 is like WTF and needs tech support to figure it out. 
    Dark Matter was a hit though, not sure the singles are the issue. Although if I were A&Ring it I probably would have gone DM-Wreckage-Won’t Tell for the singles.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Those aren't very good numbers for Beyoncé. Her people must be shitting bricks over those sales
    About what I expected for Pearl Jam...surprised it's even that high
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 said:
    Those aren't very good numbers for Beyoncé. Her people must be shitting bricks over those sales
    About what I expected for Pearl Jam...surprised it's even that high
    This is Beyonce's 4th week on the chart
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Is 146.000 well, is my question. By Metallica-standards. 
    For a 40 year old band yes. Especially during the streaming age. It might take Dark Matter to get to that point 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited April 24
    Foo fighters latest:

The album tops the Billboard Top Alternative Albums and Top Hard Rock Albums charts, and debuts at number eight on the all-format Billboard 200 chart, moving 62,000 equivalent album units. 

And Medicine by Midnight (great album by the way):

In the United States, Medicine at Midnight debuted at number three on the Billboard 200 chart with 70,000 album-equivalent units, which consisted 64,000 pure album copies

And with how "big" Foo Fighters are and their space in the music/pop culture scene (if this is the same chart), then 55.000 doesn't sound so bad comparatively? 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    edited April 24
    My point is that people were saying they weren't buying Gigaton either because they didn't like Dance, or because stores weren't open because of the pandemic, or they had to hear it live first. Dark Matter has been getting great press/reviews. "Fans" were excited for DM the single. Stores are open. There are 12 variants. Yet it sold the same as Gigaton
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Foo fighters latest:

The album tops the Billboard Top Alternative Albums and Top Hard Rock Albums charts, and debuts at number eight on the all-format Billboard 200 chart, moving 62,000 equivalent album units. 

And with how "big" Foo Fighters are and their space in the music/pop culture scene (if this is the same chart), than 55.000 doesn't sound so bad comparatively? 
    55.000 is physical sales, when you add in streaming PJ’s total was actually about 63K, so about neck & neck with Foo.
    Plus, while DM seems to be riding a good bit of public & critical goodwill, that Foo album was the mourning Taylor & his mom album, there was a ton of glowing reviews and well-wishing and general love that still didn’t sell great.
  • Options
    edited April 24
    Also, just wanna say that when the CD business is "gone" and you charge 51 dollars in Sweden for the LP from a 35 year old band you are not going to get others than the JAMILY to buy the album.

51 dollars is a Rubicon crossed to have someone pick up the album because Dark Matter was a great single or just to get someone to pick it up because it's a new PJ album on the shelf while their strolling through the store. Even with them liking PJ and remembering an album with an avocado on it that they enjoyed.

And I imagine pushing 15-20 variants on the little JAMILY POND is only gonna take you so far (and the album is still a lot of dollars in Sweden also for the Jamily). 

Maybe a lot cheaper in the US, or a different type of musicbuying culture. But but but
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Also, just wanna say that when the CD business is "gone" and you charge 51 dollars in Sweden for the LP from a 35 year old band you are not going to get others than the JAMILY to buy the album.

51 dollars is a Rubicon crossed to have someone pick up the album because Dark Matter was a great single or just to get someone to pick it up because it's a new PJ album on the shelf while their strolling through the store. Even with them liking PJ and remembering an album with an avocado on it that they enjoyed.

And I imagine pushing 15-20 variants on the little JAMILY POND is only gonna take you so far (and the album is still a lot of dollars in Sweden also for the Jamily). 
    I think that's what hurt Gigaton as well. Almost $40 for the vinyl over here. They need to do a deal with Target where they sell it for 19 99
    I miss igotid88