Options

Best song on DM?

Comments

• Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,232
    Waiting For Stevie
    That part in React/Respond where he sings "The incandescence that is your essence. The unexpected embrace, embrace the unexpected" is one of his best vocal moments. 
    Yes! "there's no book on this life, there's no use as directed"

But "don't let the sky hook, beat you to submission" is pretty good too :)
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,040
    edited May 1
    There's not any song I don't like, which hasn't happened in a long time. Even my favorite album, Vs, has a couple I don't like.
    I really like several of them, but none have jumped out as an easy favorite. I thought Waiting for Stevie would be from what everyone was saying, and it hasn't clicked for me. I really like it, but it isn't in the running for my favorite. Maybe #3 or 4 spot.
    React, Respond hasn't clicked either, and I see a lot of love for that one. It's probably my least favorite right now (or tied with Running for that honor). I don't dislike it, but just doesn't do anything for me yet.
    One of my least favorites my first 2 or 3 listens was Upper Hand, but after a few more spins that one is in the running for the top spot. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,666
    Waiting For Stevie
    Tough choice between Upper Hand and Waiting for Stevie. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,526
    React, Respond
    See, I really needed to wait.  I was definitely feeling the energy of React, Respond.   Now its a different one every day. 

Right now, its between:
    Scared of Fear
    Dark Matter
    Upper Hand
    Waiting for Stevie
    Setting Sun

Got to Give keeps jumping up here too. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,921
    Vedd Hedd said:
    See, I really needed to wait.  I was definitely feeling the energy of React, Respond.   Now its a different one every day. 

Right now, its between:
    Scared of Fear
    Dark Matter
    Upper Hand
    Waiting for Stevie
    Setting Sun

Swap Dark Matter out with Wont Tell and thats my top 5.
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 655
    Upper Hand
    PJNB said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Right now, its between:
    Scared of Fear
    Dark Matter
    Upper Hand
    Waiting for Stevie
    Setting Sun

Swap Dark Matter out with Wont Tell and thats my top 5.
    Swap Don’t Tell for Wreckage and you get my top 5
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 333
    React, Respond
    Got To Give is a sneaky banger.  Kind of under our radars after first few listens, due to where it's placed.  I love that song, along with the rest.  I find Waiting For Stevie a top tier track as well.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,280
    That part in React/Respond where he sings "The incandescence that is your essence. The unexpected embrace, embrace the unexpected" is one of his best vocal moments. 
    Yes!!! I love the cadence he uses. I mentioned a while back in a thread somewhere that it's another song where his delivery on parts really stands out. I also love his cadence for the bridge of Dark Matter. Those 2 songs and WES have some of my favorite vocals from the last few albums.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 373
    BF25394 said:
    MD190661 said:
    I've listened twice now and still am not completely sold. I like it enough with some songs better than others, but I'm still in the camp that I'll listen a few more times before the Sacramento concert and then probably rarely play it again. Hope this changes over the next listen or 2. This has basically been the MO for the past few records- know it well enough to know the songs live and then (almost) never listen again. However, hearing the new ones live might give me a better appreciation for them, which will keep me listening after the concert. That has happened with other bands. We'll see. 
    You've listened twice in ten days? This, combined with your description of your M.O. for the past few records, suggests that you have an aversion to new music more than it suggests anything about the quality of the music. You make it sound like these records are holding you hostage. If it's that much of a chore for you to listen to a band, why not go find a band that's not a chore for you to listen to? I don't meant to sound like I'm being snarky; I'm genuinely wondering why not just move on if something doesn't do if for you anymore. The posture of resignation in your post is so odd to me. No one's forcing you to be a fan of Pearl Jam, let alone to pay to belong to its fan club.
    Weird reply, but OK. Why doesn't loving a new record make it seem like it's a chore to listen? Maybe I'm busy and haven't had time to listen much. Maybe I was planning on listening to it more as it closer to the show I'm attending. I didn't find a ton of relisten value of the past few records, though there are songs on each I like. 

I've listened the DM twice since posting this on Monday and like it more each listen. Lots of great guitar work which will be great live. 
    Waiting for Stevie, Scared of Fear, Upper Hand, Setting Sun and Dark Matter are all great. 

I'm actually going to listen to Gigaton again since it's been a while as noted.
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24

• Options
    chrisr211977chrisr211977 Posts: 92
    Wreckage
    MikeDigs said:
    Got To Give is a sneaky banger.  Kind of under our radars after first few listens, due to where it's placed.  I love that song, along with the rest.  I find Waiting For Stevie a top tier track as well.
    Waiting For Stevie is a good song, but the production isn't good. I'd listen to a bootleg version. May 4, here we come!
    I don't believe nothin', even if it's true.
    "That's a vibe" - Ryan Miller

9/11/2022 - Madison Square Garden, New York
    Other bands
    Guster - 8/12/2023
    Guster - 3/30/2024
    Guster - 8/11/2024
    Built to Spill - 9/1/2024
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,511
    Got to Give
    MD190661 said:
    BF25394 said:
    MD190661 said:
    I've listened twice now and still am not completely sold. I like it enough with some songs better than others, but I'm still in the camp that I'll listen a few more times before the Sacramento concert and then probably rarely play it again. Hope this changes over the next listen or 2. This has basically been the MO for the past few records- know it well enough to know the songs live and then (almost) never listen again. However, hearing the new ones live might give me a better appreciation for them, which will keep me listening after the concert. That has happened with other bands. We'll see. 
    You've listened twice in ten days? This, combined with your description of your M.O. for the past few records, suggests that you have an aversion to new music more than it suggests anything about the quality of the music. You make it sound like these records are holding you hostage. If it's that much of a chore for you to listen to a band, why not go find a band that's not a chore for you to listen to? I don't meant to sound like I'm being snarky; I'm genuinely wondering why not just move on if something doesn't do if for you anymore. The posture of resignation in your post is so odd to me. No one's forcing you to be a fan of Pearl Jam, let alone to pay to belong to its fan club.
    Weird reply, but OK. Why doesn't loving a new record make it seem like it's a chore to listen? Maybe I'm busy and haven't had time to listen much. Maybe I was planning on listening to it more as it closer to the show I'm attending. I didn't find a ton of relisten value of the past few records, though there are songs on each I like. 

I've listened the DM twice since posting this on Monday and like it more each listen. Lots of great guitar work which will be great live. 
    Waiting for Stevie, Scared of Fear, Upper Hand, Setting Sun and Dark Matter are all great. 

I used the word "chore" based on your description that you'd listened to it only twice and were already expecting to rarely play it after May 13. You seemed only interested in it to the extent that you want to be familiar with the songs for the show, as if it were an assignment but, once the show is over, it will be something you will have little interest in or time for.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 373
    BF25394 said:
    MD190661 said:
    BF25394 said:
    MD190661 said:

I used the word "chore" based on your description that you'd listened to it only twice and were already expecting to rarely play it after May 13. You seemed only interested in it to the extent that you want to be familiar with the songs for the show, as if it were an assignment but, once the show is over, it will be something you will have little interest in or time for.
    Ah. I see. Well, if I like the album I'll keep listening to it. If I don't I won't. I didn't love Gigaton, but wanted to know the songs before the shows I saw and enjoyed them live. Even songs I don't like all that much are usually great live. I did just relisten to Gigaton. DM is a lot better and growing on me with each listen. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24

• Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,074
    React, Respond
    I actually just re-listened to Gigaton as well... after about 12 spins of DM.
    The gap between these 2 albums is huge.

I don't dislike Gigaton or anything, DM is just so much better.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    schaefferlaxschaefferlax Posts: 178
    Setting Sun and Dark Matter are the best on the album, and better than anything they've put out since Avocado, including Avocado. 
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,873
    Wreckage
    I can’t stop listening to this album. I don’t remember the last Pearl Jam album I felt that way about. This album has no business being this good. What a fucking gift 
  • Options
    Got to Give
    Setting Sun and Dark Matter are the best on the album, and better than anything they've put out since Avocado, including Avocado. 
    So you're actually saying you think it's better than anything they've put out since Riot Act.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,954
    Waiting For Stevie
    BF25394 said:
    So you're actually saying you think it's better than anything they've put out since Riot Act.
    Since yield.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    schaefferlaxschaefferlax Posts: 178
    BF25394 said:
    Yeah I should have just said that lol
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,582
    Waiting For Stevie
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Since yield.  
    come on Mike!!..better than Binaural, Riot Act and Avocando??..no way IMO..nice record but not great..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Waiting For Stevie
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Since yield.  
    Same!
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,985
    Joins Binaural and Riot Act in the band of albums not quite as good as the first 5 but easily better than the rest. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,132
    React, Respond
    tino_11 said:
    Joins Binaural and Riot Act in the band of albums not quite as good as the first 5 but easily better than the rest. 
    I find it significantly better than those 2.  I was concerned the newness was having me rank it higher than it should...and now I'm starting to wonder if the newness has me raking it lower than it will end up.  It's a top 5 album for sure for me.  Maybe top 4.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Waiting For Stevie
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Since yield.  
    come on Mike!!..better than Binaural, Riot Act and Avocando??..no way IMO..nice record but not great..
    Plenty of skip songs on those three.  Nothing will
    ever top their first five albums but I do feel Dark matter is number six.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,824
    Wreckage
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Since yield.  
    What do skip on Binaural????????????????? :o
    Except for maybe Evacuation sometimes. You've lost the plot dude. 

I like DM a lot but come on.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,295
    Waiting For Stevie
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Since yield.  
    Much better then anything since Vs. Not as many great songs as vitalogy but it doesn't have 4 filler tracks either. So overall, better.
  • Options
    Waiting For Stevie
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Since yield.  

They can both be great :)
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,989
    edited May 3
    Waiting For Stevie
    Ranking the songs is so tough. I had Waiting for Stevie on top after a few listens but I’m not sure, there’s too many good ones. Today I’m thinking:

Scared of Fear
    Waiting for Stevie (they’ve tried their whole career not to write something like this; yet they finally did it, 90s throwback). 
    Won’t Tell (a single if there ever was one)
    React, Respond
    Got to Give (very underrated!)
    Running (love that seague from Stevie; wish the song went longer)
    Setting Sun
    Upper Hand (just like the others more atm)
    Dark Matter (music on this is 🔥)
    Wreckage (really warming to it)
    Something Special (actually don’t mind it; something has to be last)
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Waiting For Stevie
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Since yield.  

For me I skip god s dice, evacuation and sleight of hand.  I skip insignificance every other listen.  ;)
  • Options
    Got to Give
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Since yield.  

For me I skip god s dice, evacuation and sleight of hand.  I skip insignificance every other listen.  ;)
    I don't skip anything, but "Gods' Dice" is not particularly good, and "Soon Forget" is a trifle. And I know at least one person who skips "Writer's Block": Bill Simmons based on the fact that he was apparently completely shocked to learn that Eddie Vedder uses a typewriter.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,149
    Scared of Fear
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Since yield.  

Damn mike
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -