Where Are the Substantive UK Listening Event Reviews?

dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 387
edited March 23 in The Porch
I’ve yet to read anything about the songs that is descriptive in nature. You’re telling me 2/300 pj fans went to this thing and we can’t get some good reviews of the way the sounds sound w details, etc?

I understand it was only one listen, but there had to have been a few musicians in the audience who can say more…..

Comments

• jonbond1779jonbond1779 Posts: 1,637
    edited March 23
    From what I can gather, Id say more like maybe 50-100 actual fans, maybe even less so 10c members and the rest Press & PR, Music industry. 
    Post edited by jonbond1779 on
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 102
    Ya I was wondering the same thing.  There had to be a ton of press there, especially for Ed to show up.  Not saying he doesn’t love the fans, but he’s not going all the way to the UK to hang w a bunch of 10c members.  
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    TN49724 said:
    Ya I was wondering the same thing.  There had to be a ton of press there, especially for Ed to show up.  Not saying he doesn’t love the fans, but he’s not going all the way to the UK to hang w a bunch of 10c members.  
    He was already in the UK, he’s playing Teenage Cancer Trust benefit tomorrow night
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 102
    I saw that. So he didn’t go all the way there to hang w a bunch of 10c members.  There’s been very little written about the night though.  Except a guy who said most ppl wouldn’t like half the album, didn’t sound like their old stuff, and he didn’t remember much bc Ed was pouring him tequila.  I was just agreeing w OP. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    Im not quite sure what anyone is meant to explain one listen at 1million decebls with ed centre of attention. It all blends into one. There was no way of documentation. No phones. No pen and paper. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Plus a free bar. Its all made to make you forget 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,292
    edited March 23
    Im not quite sure what anyone is meant to explain one listen at 1million decebls with ed centre of attention. It all blends into one. There was no way of documentation. No phones. No pen and paper. 
    Yeah it's all a bit of a blur with the environment but from my recollection it's heavy in the earlier part ot the album, (the volume may have made it seem heavier) the rest is still rocking there's no buckle up or anything, other than something special which Ed dedicated to his daughters and maybe seen as a bit of an outlier on the album 

I wasn't disappointed and I don't think most fans will be with most of the album
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,278
    Some of my favourite songs are Release, Hard To imagine, Parting Ways, Long Road, All Those Yesterdays etc. Sounds as though there are no really good slower ones like these?
  • dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 387
    Ok so fair enough on the actual number of fans and then even 10c members. Maybe we’re looking at 30/40 best? Still…you’d think more in the way on track details and descriptive language would come out. I understand it was a party atmosphere, but nonetheless, somebody out there should be able to describe the songs with more granularity. For instance, not comparative language like “scared of fear sounds like animal” but descriptive. For instance, whoever said beings with a surging and powerful introductory riff that sets the table for the song, and is finally accompanied by a thumping Matt Cameron drum fill before leading into the first verse where big open chords ring out. 

Of course, I can play the song in my head from start to finish and I know that the attendees only got one listen. I’ve heard react respond likened to “two t rexes having a stomping competition, with Mike’s lead dancing all over in between”.

edited March 23
    Yeah it's all a bit of a blur with the environment but from my recollection it's heavy in the earlier part ot the album, (the volume may have made it seem heavier) the rest is still rocking there's no buckle up or anything, other than something special which Ed dedicated to his daughters and maybe seen as a bit of an outlier on the album 

I wasn't disappointed and I don't think most fans will be with most of the album
    I go with this, only i think fans may like half
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

drfox said:
    Some of my favourite songs are Release, Hard To imagine, Parting Ways, Long Road, All Those Yesterdays etc. Sounds as though there are no really good slower ones like these?
    Nothing like those 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

I guess its like when you have to stare at 20 items for 30 seconds and then they disappear and then recall them
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• knikknik Posts: 94

I go with this, only i think fans may like half
    Could you elborate a little on why you think fans will like only half of the album? 
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    dwjmu84 said:
    Ok so fair enough on the actual number of fans and then even 10c members. Maybe we’re looking at 30/40 best? Still…you’d think more in the way on track details and descriptive language would come out. I understand it was a party atmosphere, but nonetheless, somebody out there should be able to describe the songs with more granularity. For instance, not comparative language like “scared of fear sounds like animal” but descriptive. For instance, whoever said beings with a surging and powerful introductory riff that sets the table for the song, and is finally accompanied by a thumping Matt Cameron drum fill before leading into the first verse where big open chords ring out. 

Of course, I can play the song in my head from start to finish and I know that the attendees only got one listen. I’ve heard react respond likened to “two t rexes having a stomping competition, with Mike’s lead dancing all over in between”.

It was really loud, akin to going to a concert and a band plays a bunch of new songs, many elements of those songs just get buried in the mix, so they don't necessarily leave a lasting impression. Add to that the fact Ed was engaging with fans, it was very hard to concentrate.

In general I came away feeling like it was less experimental than a lot of stuff they've put out in the last 20 years or so, the songs sounded more immediate and melodic, it was pretty dark and heavy at points, but as someone else mentioned, some of the heaviness may just have been how loud they were playing it. My lasting impression is that they sounded energised and like they were trying to make a more straight forward rock record.
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,891

edited March 23
    Ed got tearful when he called out to his daughter and she was in the crowd with us. Something special played and he mouthed all the words to her and was clearly tearful. It was a beautiful thing to see
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

The release story . He said he and Jeff were sitting talking and realised that Andrew was born when release was released. Which means he was released to release. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,335
    dwjmu84 said:
    I’ve yet to read anything about the songs that is descriptive in nature. You’re telling me 2/300 pj fans went to this thing and we can’t get some good reviews of the way the sounds sound w details, etc?

I understand it was only one listen, but there had to have been a few musicians in the audience who can say more…..

There's a whole thread with people who were there giving their takes.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 387
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:

There's a whole thread with people who were there giving their takes.
    Read the post again. 

Nothing descriptive about the tracks except opinions.

“I liked half the record”
     “ first half was heavy” 
     “ I don’t remember thinking waiting for Stevie was like solat”

Ok. 

go read cohen’s review in Spin. I want more of that. Of course, as I said. I understand with only one listen it may be tough. Still surprised we haven’t seen more.