• Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,179
    I thought they sounded great last night
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,743
    Saw dead and company at the sphere.  Left early. The dead music is like combining horseshit with dog shit.  Don’t understand the appeal other than if you like drugs.
    Wait, why did you go then? Did someone offer you a free ticket?
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,677
    I had a very bad experience with Seat Geek. Will never use them again.

Their “buyer guarantee” is unreliable?
    I wasn’t happy with the tickets I bought. I misunderstood what I bought and they were just not giving me any breaks. Ended up eating the tixx. Fuck Seatgeek. 
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Never heard a Dead song that sounded good. 
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    chuck nevittchuck nevitt Posts: 234
    I heard one of the best concerts in my life take place on A Grateful Dead stage. 
  • Options
    I heard one of the best concerts in my life take place on A Grateful Dead stage. 
    So you’re not going to link even one song to change my mind? What am I missing?

• Options
    njhaley1njhaley1 Valley of the Sun Posts: 278
    Soldier Field, 7/11/95
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/9A13uWVFMik?si=f8Iw2OnsvHtlFYgz

26:10
  • Options
    njhaley1 said:
    Soldier Field, 7/11/95

Ding Ding Ding. Nice one. 

• Options
    "Ripple"

"Uncle John's Band"

"Touch of Grey"

"U.S. Blues"

"Truckin'"

"Friend of the Devil"

I mean, these are great songs, and I've never done a drug in my life. And I only own one Dead album.
  • Options
    Sorry I didn't get the reference. I don't know the Chicago lore as well as others.

I'll try the songs amongst those I haven't heard. The War on Drugs covered Touch of Grey which was an improvement but still just okay.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,608
    edited May 20
    BF25394 said:
    Saw dead and company at the sphere.  Left early. The dead music is like combining horseshit with dog shit.  Don’t understand the appeal other than if you like drugs.
    Wait, why did you go then? Did someone offer you a free ticket?
    I bought two tickets for $140 at about 7pm day of show.  Figured worst case you'd get to experience the Sphere for a reasonable price, and more than likely you'd spend a lot more than $140 in three hours in Vegas if I was at the blackjack table.

I couldn't name a single Dead song, and I knew there would be lots of jams going into it.   I was excited to see John Mayer, and I noodle on the guitar every day so figured it wouldn't be too boring as I know my attention span for a guitar solo is about 30 seconds to a minute.   What I took from it though was every jam/song sounded the exact same.  It didn't sound bad.  My description of the music wasn't very constructive, though, but did illustrate my shock as to how uniform each song and jam was.  

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,608
    edited May 20
    Sorry I didn't get the reference. I don't know the Chicago lore as well as others.

I'll try the songs amongst those I haven't heard. The War on Drugs covered Touch of Grey which was an improvement but still just okay.
    The reference was that Pearl Jam played their 1995 Soldier Field show the day or two after Grateful Dead, and were using the Grateful Dead's stage.  So the person was referring to the great Pearl Jam concert they saw, not a Dead show.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,066
    I don't see the appeal for the Dead either but to each their own. Phish has some moments but, in my opinion, too much of it is hokey. I don't get it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    njhaley1njhaley1 Valley of the Sun Posts: 278
    I don't see the appeal for the Dead either but to each their own. Phish has some moments but, in my opinion, too much of it is hokey. I don't get it.
    For many, it's as much the culture as it is the music.  There's quite a bit of overlap, and PJ admins are on the record as saying they've modeled parts of the band culture after the Dead

https://www.guitartricks.com/blog/How-Pearl-Jam-Became-the-New-Grateful-Dead
  • Options
    I thought I was at a Dead show in Sacramento. There was a woman next to me in the pit who was like a straight-out-of-Central-Casting hippie. Flower crown, macrame top, tie-dyed shirt underneath, John Lennon glasses. And blazed a joint the moment Pearl Jam set foot on the stage. I wanted to ask her if she made a wrong turn on the way to Haight-Ashbury and ended up in Sacramento.
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 478
    I did both PJ shows, and Dead & Co. in the middle on the 17th.

I'm not a Dead fan, far from it. But the 17th was my birthday, so I felt like I didn't have a choice lol, had to go.

Before I even got in line to get in, I was offered, in this order: molly, mushrooms, doses. I did not indulge lol.

The Sphere gets a rating of 1,000,000 out of 10. It was the most spectacular visual experience I've ever had.

**MILD SPOILERS**

The narrative: You are transported from Haight-Ashbury to outer space and other places from the Dead's history.

When we started lifting off the ground, I legit held on to my seat, because I felt like I was gonna fall out of the sky. And the seats vibrated at a few points.

The music sounded good. The actual sound was a bit underwhelming when compared to the visuals. The Deadheads I hung out with respect John Mayer and what he brings to the table.

I'd see the show again in a second. With the right act, it is can't-miss.

That being said, I do not want to see Pearl Jam there. I want to focus on the music when I see PJ live. The venue, and the concept, would be too much of a distraction. I'm sure the band and its team could come up with some great visuals, but I'm hoping they avoid it. If they don't, I'll be there lol.

Lastly, at the end of the show, a couple got into an argument, as the husband accused the wife of trying to feed him green mushrooms. My new friend Andrea, who I sat next to at the show and spent 5 hours oversharing the details of my life, was horrified at the accusation, because apparently you NEVER eat the green mushrooms. I've never had mushrooms in my life, and even I knew that you DON'T eat the green mushrooms.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,097

I'm not a Dead fan, far from it. But the 17th was my birthday, so I felt like I didn't have a choice lol, had to go.

Before I even got in line to get in, I was offered, in this order: molly, mushrooms, doses. I did not indulge lol.

The Sphere gets a rating of 1,000,000 out of 10. It was the most spectacular visual experience I've ever had.

**MILD SPOILERS**

The narrative: You are transported from Haight-Ashbury to outer space and other places from the Dead's history.

When we started lifting off the ground, I legit held on to my seat, because I felt like I was gonna fall out of the sky. And the seats vibrated at a few points.

The music sounded good. The actual sound was a bit underwhelming when compared to the visuals. The Deadheads I hung out with respect John Mayer and what he brings to the table.

That being said, I do not want to see Pearl Jam there. I want to focus on the music when I see PJ live. The venue, and the concept, would be too much of a distraction. I'm sure the band and its team could come up with some great visuals, but I'm hoping they avoid it. If they don't, I'll be there lol.

Lastly, at the end of the show, a couple got into an argument, as the husband accused the wife of trying to feed him green mushrooms. My new friend Andrea, who I sat next to at the show and spent 5 hours oversharing the details of my life, was horrified at the accusation, because apparently you NEVER eat the green mushrooms. I've never had mushrooms in my life, and even I knew that you DON'T eat the green mushrooms.
    I thought it was DON'T eat the brown acid ;)

• Options
    jgregory89jgregory89 Las Vegas Posts: 173

**MILD SPOILERS**

Reminds me of the couple I saw while waiting for my Uber who got into an argument because the guys wife was caught in the bathroom hooking up with another girl.  She denied it, even though she was caught with her bra up above her you-know-what's.  Sounded like the guy wanted a divorce over it.  Super awkward.  
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,261
    BF25394 said:
    "Ripple"

"Uncle John's Band"

"Touch of Grey"

"U.S. Blues"

"Truckin'"

"Friend of the Devil"

I mean, these are great songs, and I've never done a drug in my life. And I only own one Dead album.
    I'd add a few as well.

Box of Rain (my favorite Dead song, beautiful song)

Sugar Magnolia

Shakedown Street

Scarlet Begonia's

Hell in a Bucket 

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,562
    BF25394 said:
    "Ripple"

"Uncle John's Band"

"Touch of Grey"

"U.S. Blues"

"Truckin'"

"Friend of the Devil"

Ripple was my father/daughter dance at her wedding. Took an already great song and made it a cherished memory.
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,179
    pjhawks said:
    BF25394 said:
    "Ripple"

"Uncle John's Band"

"Touch of Grey"

"U.S. Blues"

"Truckin'"

"Friend of the Devil"

I'd add a few as well.

Box of Rain (my favorite Dead song, beautiful song)

Sugar Magnolia

Shakedown Street

Scarlet Begonia's

Hell in a Bucket 

Help on the Way/Slipknot and Terrapin Station for the fans of more intricate/proggy songwriting
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    "Ripple"

"Uncle John's Band"

"Touch of Grey"

"U.S. Blues"

"Truckin'"

"Friend of the Devil"

Ripple was my father/daughter dance at her wedding. Took an already great song and made it a cherished memory.
    Wilco did a three-show residency at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, New York, in 2014, where they didn't repeat any songs. At the end of each show, they would do a sort-of "Unplugged"-style "hootenanny, and they ended one of the shows with a cover of "Ripple" where the crowd sang the vocals. I was blown away that seemingly every person in that theater seemed to know every word. There's video of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur6vf2mxTWA

The sound on the official bootleg is cool. I'm guessing it's on nugs.net. (I have the CD set.)
  • Options
    apparently you NEVER eat the green mushrooms. 
    I never eat any mushrooms. Don't people realize those things are fungi?! I let that kingdom be.