Podcast interview: Dave Abbruzzese on drumming for Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder, joining Guns N Roses

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 769
    What a Neanderthal.
    I love alot about Dave's drumming.
    Go and Blood are top tier songs for me. Angel is one of my top white whales to still see, not because its rare, but because I love it.
    But I can't imagine the rest of PJ having to work with this guy. It was hard to sit through just this 9+ minutes, to give him a fair shot.
  • lisalamblisalamb Posts: 70
    I watched this whole thing, mostly because I'm nosy. For anyone not wishing to subject themselves to this, it's nothing new. 

tl;dw:

DA still has a flavor saver
    DA can't believe the rest of the band was too "cowardly" to stand up to that meanie Eddie Vedder 
    DA was blindsided by getting fired
    DA was the only genuine person in the band
    DA was the only one who celebrated their success properly when their album went gold. Everyone else sat at a table eating.
    Vitalogy would have been way better record if they wouldn't have kicked him out
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Dude was fired 30 years ago.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,928
    🥱
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004
    He could have made vitalogy better? Wow. Only Jimmy Shoaf drumming on Satan's bed dave did the rest. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 650
    eboweddie said:
    He could have made vitalogy better? Wow. Only Jimmy Shoaf drumming on Satan's bed dave did the rest. 
    Jack plays on Foxymop
  • lisalamblisalamb Posts: 70
    edited March 12
    eboweddie said:
    The version he recorded was apparently different from what was ultimately released.

edit: reading through the comments on the video, the host seems to really dislike Pearl Jam in general, or really love Dave - he's in the comments agreeing with some real hot takes:

"Great drummer- PJ never recovered"

"Mostly good music, but the prissy arrogance is off the charts. Fuck Eddie, All hail Dave."

"The band members need to kiss Daves rosey red ass for his part in this group."

"
    dave was the driving force behind pearl jam when they had their rise to fame." (um whut)

Just weird. I mean, Dave's a good drummer, but he's not fucking Danny Carey.
    Post edited by lisalamb on
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,867
    edited March 13
    Guy is and always has acted like a clown. 

Why is he eating a meal during an online interview? Haha 
    Post edited by THEBIBLEISTEN on
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,643
    I enjoyed Dave tell how he almost quit the business waiting for a break before Matt Chamberlin called him up. Pearl Jam it seems in the early period had no problem bringing in lots of different drummers to play with. Makes it more rational how even after success they found it easy to move on quickly with Jack and then MFC.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 896
    They won the lottery getting Matt due to Soundgarden just having broken up. Damn we need someone who's awesome and who we're comfortable with-wow a real good mate of ours who just became available and also played drums on the thing that kickstarted this whole thing is keen. Win.

The only other drummer of Matt's calibre who would have been free around that time would have been Jimmy Chamberlin. He is goddamn ridiculous and I think stylistically could have actually fit but Billy sacked him for a reason and given the band rising out of the ashes of a drug-related tragedy they'd have probably seen that has having red flags all over it. Reckon Matt kept the band together just by being such a solid dude.

One thing I wish I could get is my Ten super deluxe box set signed by the band including all of their drummers-they all had something to do with that album. And have Ed make it out to me as there's no way in hell I'd sell that bastard.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,247
    lisalamb said:
    I watched this whole thing, mostly because I'm nosy. For anyone not wishing to subject themselves to this, it's nothing new. 

tl;dw:

DA still has a flavor saver
    DA can't believe the rest of the band was too "cowardly" to stand up to that meanie Eddie Vedder 
    DA was blindsided by getting fired
    DA was the only genuine person in the band
    DA was the only one who celebrated their success properly when their album went gold. Everyone else sat at a table eating.
    Vitalogy would have been way better record if they wouldn't have kicked him out
    He recorded 95 percent of the drum tracks on that record.
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,589
    As I understand it, he is not saying he would have made the album better. He says that the mix and sound of Vitalogy were different on a cassette he got before he was let go. He calls this mix a more "soulful VS sound". He probably still has it. 
    I would love to hear this mix! 

I think some people here give Dave a harder time than he deserves. As far as I can tell, the dude just wanted to play (even with broken fingers). Knocking him for enjoying the success of the band he gave everything for is a bit silly. I understand not liking the guy, but come on.  
    I will swallow poison
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,038
    lisalamb said:

Just weird. I mean, Dave's a good drummer, but he's not fucking Danny Carey.
    This. 
    Dave posted this podcast to the Pearl Jam Ireland group this week, which, after 30 years is incredibly sad. I can understand why this would be a tough thing for him to get over, but man... get some therapy or something. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    If he’s such a great drummer why didn’t he ever land another great gig he was let go and poof he couldn’t recover! And after all this time he’s still salty, I was more disappointed that Jack didn’t keep going with the band he’s still my favorite drummer they played with! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004
    Like.all.pj drummers
     Was right drummer at the right time 
    .brilliant on Vs and the live shows. But I genuinely don't think No Code and Yield would be as good with him drumming. He should cherish his time He had.in the band. He was brilliant 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    edited March 13
    I don't get the hate. I like the guy. A great drummer and still loves music . No problem, the guy is just answering what he has been asked. 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • DissidentRival74DissidentRival74 Six One Five Posts: 150
    edited March 13
    I was more disappointed that Jack didn’t keep going with the band he’s still my favorite drummer they played with! 
    +1.  
    I was bummed when he dropped out of the 98 tour, I was really looking forward to seeing him play with the band that year.  
    Post edited by DissidentRival74 on
    "I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."
    I don't get the hate. I like the guy. A great drummer and still loves music . No problem, the guy is just answering what he has been asked. 
    Posting the podcast link unsolicited to a pearl jam facebook group isn't just answering questions, it's pushing an agenda, and a tired agenda at that. 

For what it's worth, I don't hate the guy. I feel bad for him more than anything else. 
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 896
    I was more disappointed that Jack didn’t keep going with the band he’s still my favorite drummer they played with! 
    +1.  
    I was bummed when he dropped out of the 98 tour, I was really looking forward to seeing him play with the band that year.  
    Yeah I got to see Jack play the Yield songs in 98-was a real treat and a privilege given it ended up being one of less than ten gigs where he did so. Who You Are was amazing and so was Given To Fly-the guys playing those now especially Who You Are do make me remember those versions more fondly than what they have been doing-and I like those versions too.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 599
    Dave posted this podcast to the Pearl Jam Ireland group this week, which, after 30 years is incredibly sad. I can understand why this would be a tough thing for him to get over, but man... get some therapy or something. 
    He religiously posts on the reddit sub using brand new user names because they all get banned after posting things like that. 

Creepy ex sums it up perfectly. 
  • TremormanTremorman Posts: 385
    His recap of how he got the initial phone call from Matt Chamberlain was really compelling where he just barely paid off his phonebill in person and returned home to a ringing phone, crazy!   The personality conflicts I bet everyone wish they had handled differently, but don't we all have that at points in our lives?  This just happened to be high profile. Hope he's found peace and contentment in his life.  And I felt like there seemed to be a slight hint that he might write a book or something ?  At  about 1:02:10 he mentions "there are some other things that will come out in time about things that have happened in my life..." but who knows what he meant by that, we'll see.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    edited March 13
    https://youtu.be/4gNgvqboNBA?si=R0qgeYLCwq01ADMN
    This is still my favorite Pearl Jam faze! 
    There might be a better video of this it seems like there’s something wrong with it! 
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,946
    Niko80 said:
    As I understand it, he is not saying he would have made the album better. He says that the mix and sound of Vitalogy were different on a cassette he got before he was let go. He calls this mix a more "soulful VS sound". He probably still has it. 

I think some people here give Dave a harder time than he deserves. As far as I can tell, the dude just wanted to play (even with broken fingers). Knocking him for enjoying the success of the band he gave everything for is a bit silly. I understand not liking the guy, but come on.  
    That he was canned for enjoying the success is a myth that Dave is happy to perpetuate. He got let go because he didn’t want to have Ed be the band leader and he also wasn’t compatible with the direction the band was going artistically. 
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,867
    I think Eddie did pretty well as the band leader. Just sayin . 
  • KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,537
    seems to have worked out
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
    Seattle 5.30.2024  Noblesville 8.26.2024  Chicago 8.29.2024  Chicago 8.31.2024 
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,589
    Absolutely! 
    I will swallow poison
    Niko80 said:

That he was canned for enjoying the success is a myth that Dave is happy to perpetuate. He got let go because he didn’t want to have Ed be the band leader and he also wasn’t compatible with the direction the band was going artistically. 
    Bingo.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    He was always the fish out of water with the other 4

he played a bad hand from what I’ve heard over the years, didn’t read the room correctly …. Sometimes you gotta stfu, hard for some…..
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    I always find it hard !
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -