Does wanting to see the band live become an obsession and an addiction? Or is it about the music?

I was just thinking about this yesterday after following some of the posts about the DM World Tour 2024. 

I am from South Africa and have seen the band 18 times in 10 cities and on 4 continents in the last 18 years.  None on my home continent of course.
I have been a fan since 1994 and a ten club member since 2006.

I last saw them in 2022 for the Hyde Park concerts in London which were just phenomenal. My favourite of those two was Night 1 as they did so many favorites like Light Years, Save You and Quick escape, to name a few. 

When they announced the DM World Tour last week I thought I would try my luck with the lottery. Unfortunately, like some on here as well I am sure, I registered for the TM Verified Registration thinking I had registered for the ten club lottery. I only discovered to my horror a few days later that I was not in the running for ten club tickets. So I decided to give the Verified Registration a shot. I was wanting Melbourne and Auckland. I was born in the same year as Eddie so I am not getting any younger.

Fortunately I was able to get Golden Circle for both Auckland and the Gold Coast through TM. Needless to say I am ecstatic that I could very well be travelling to see them in Australia and New Zealand in November. I think the fan2fan option will be great as well especially for those of us who are long-haul destination travellers and who may need the option of selling the tickets if travel becomes impossible.  

So I was thinking.  Am I addicted to seeing Pearl Jam live or is it simply a case of it being that they are just such a kick-ass live band that any opportunity to see them live is an opportunity not to be missed at all costs? 

Anyway I have been reading all the complaints on here as well. While this time round the tickets are almost double the price (not sure if ten club lottery and TM prices are the same?), I think ten club have done remarkably well in managing what must be a nightmare to please all fans. 

I am just grateful that this band that we call our best band ever are still able to tour, they go all out for their fans, and I have the wonderful opportunity of possibly taking my tally of shows to 21 before this year is out. And I get to take my niece who lives in New Zealand to a show. She does not know the band's music so I am super super excited about that. 

Thank you ten club and congrats to all who won tickets. There will always be those who complain about every little thing but that's just the way it is. 

Bring on Dark Matter and the World Tour!!!

So I was thinking does it become an obsession or is it about the music? For me its about the music and getting another shot at seeing the best band in the world live...again. 
rustedsigns

Comments

• gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,624
    Obsession a bit....I love the travel to see bands and I'll be making my 5th trip to Oceania to see live music. Every trip to Australia has been to follow a band abd I've seen so much because of my obsession
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,444
    I would love to get back to South Africa for a PJ show. And the answer is probably both for a lot of people. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,437
    I've always enjoyed the traveling part of PJ on tour because I get to see new places, meet new people, and then top it off with a great show. 

It's mostly still about the music for me, though. When they come onstage and hit those first notes I get goosebumps every time and I live for that feeling. 
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,891
    Both I think 
  • TA243471TA243471 Posts: 1,234
    For me, it is seeing them live.  I love most of their catalogue, but once you see Corduroy live, the album version never sounds right again to me.  Its great on the album, but once the arena starts bouncing up and down, you can't help but FEEL that one.  I guess because of that, it is also an obsession.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
    • 2024: Vancouver 1, Portland, Las Vegas 1&2, Seattle 1&2, Missoula
  • bootlegbootleg Posts: 674
    I’ve been to a lot of concerts, and not just PJ (but still a large majority were PJ) because I love live music.  PJ is the only band I’ll really travel for though and being on the east coast US there are usually multiple shows within a 6 hour drive that I can hit.  This year I’m only doing Baltimore on the east coast though and decided to make the trip to Seattle this year.  Have been wanting to visit Seattle for a long time, so this just gave me the perfect excuse.
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 519
    Seeing Pearl Jam Live is the thing, and then perhaps an obsession, cuz they're so darn good Live. I like Live music events, and seeing Pearl Jam Live has inspired me to see many other bands etc. than before I saw PJ Live
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,973
    Yes
  • BSullyBSully Posts: 1,183
    It is both, but I think it's mostly because you get an entirely different show every time you see them.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • dreamweaverdreamweaver Posts: 716
    edited March 2
    If it weren't for the band's incredible live performance, I don't think even us diehard fans would be returning for more. There are plenty of examples that were maybe once a great live act, turn to shite (i.e. Motley Crew, Guns N Roses, Van Halen, etc.). Or were never really great live. Pearl Jam is truly one of the few great live rock acts. I think it’s reasonable to have seen them 25+ times in the past four decades. 
    Post edited by dreamweaver on
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,884
    I’ll add my voice to the chorus saying both.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    I'm obsessed with live concerts over all.  I've seen many of other favourite bands many times many times, but usually for many of them it's around 5 or 6 times.   I've seen PJ way more.   Its weird.  My first show was at lolla '92 when I was really young, it was awesome, but it didn't have the same impact as my first headlining show (Missoula '98).   Once I went to Missoula all I wanted was more shows.  Ended up going to Vancouver later on that leg of the tour, then to Seattle a few days after that.   After that, it's a, go see them, a few times every time they play this part of the world, and sometimes travel to visit friends who live where they are playing :)
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,928
    edited March 2
    I agree with those who said both.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    It used to be an obsession these days it’s more if I can see a show good if not oh well maybe next time! So I tend to look forward to new music from the band that’s my fuel for wanting to see them live as long as the music hits the sweet spot! The last album didn’t really do it for me hoping DM does..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 446
    I love this because I just had this very conversation yesterday. 

I’ve been going to PJ shows since 2000.  All of my friends, best friends I’ve met because of Pearl Jam. 

My best friend we met through mutual friends at our first PJ concert in August at Jones Beach in 2000. Some of those mutual friends started playing music and shows where we met other people through those shows that became great friends.  This friends met other mutual friends of mine - these friendships led to people meeting their wives and so on and so on. 

The tailgates were just as great as the shows and they still are.  

As we get older gathering our group of friends gets a bit more difficult. Now when the band tours it’s an excuse to get us all together whether it be locally or travel to go see the band.  The tailgates and times are still legendary and the bonus is the band. 

It’s so much more than the music and it’s so much more than the band.  
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    Yes
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    The addiction for me is seeing them in as many new states and countries that I can. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,148
    edited March 2
    I think you can travel, see them many times, etc. and have it be completely healthy. Obsession/addiction are only terms I would use when people are displaying unhealthy traits - poor behavior around GA line-ups, spending a lot of money on a ticket and being mad, getting upset about setlists. Things like that.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,973
    Loujoe said:
    Yes
    mattcoz said:
    Yes
    on2legs said:
    I agree with those who said both.  

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,156

• thomascbullockthomascbullock Posts: 410
    Having met people at the Sphere this weekend who had been lining up since Tuesday for Saturday’s show, I’d say everyone here enjoys their PJ in moderation.