Options

My chat with Eddie

Comments

• Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    This is one of the stranger things that has ever happened to me.
    I debated posting this because its not really my thing to post an encounter like this (nothing against those who do). However I'm interested in response
    This is a fantastic story! I love the part about Ed digging into his suitcase cuz i can totally picture it! He is definitely a very humble man. Im gladd you got to exxxperience it. :)
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    great story, thanks for sharing.
    Fuck IS Ed the man or what?
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    Just that every time someone posts a cool story about a chance encounter with one of the band members, people on this board seem to go out of their way to discredit the author.

This is EXXXACTLY why i wont EVER post MY personal exxxperience on here. WHY do people feel the need to do that?!! jeeze. Cant we all just get along and get some barbecue or something??????

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    jammergirljammergirl Posts: 598
    SENROCK! wrote:
    This is EXXXACTLY why i wont EVER post MY personal exxxperience on here. WHY do people feel the need to do that?!! jeeze. Cant we all just get along and get some barbecue or something??????

ha, is that a quote from "almost famous"? or am i just a big dork. my fav line: "your looks have become a problem!"

to the OP: kick ass story!!
  • Options
    jammergirl wrote:
    ha, is that a quote from "almost famous"? or am i just a big dork. my fav line: "your looks have become a problem!"

to the OP: kick ass story!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    you and i are *officially* frenz now!!! :D

• Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    great story, thanks for sharing.
    Fuck IS Ed the man or what?

I don't even know what you sound like when you are talking, but I can imagine you actually saying this outloud. :D
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    great story.
    thank you for sharing.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    jammergirljammergirl Posts: 598
    SENROCK! wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    you and i are *officially* frenz now!!! :D

yesss....

message board high five!
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    For some reason, Eddie always seemed to me as the moodiest guy in the band, where if you meet him you can get him in either mood. I don't know why I think this, no basis for it or all. It's always great to hear stories like these. Thanks for sharing.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    That's an awesome story. Hope I get to meet him one day! But I'll probably make a fool of myself.
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    SENROCK! wrote:
    Is BBQ code word for toke break?
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    Cool Man, Now I can say that I have met someone who has met Eddie V ...

( phillies game? )
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    SuzieMSuzieM Posts: 113
    Wow, that's f**king awesome! All throughout last night's show, I kept thinking I wanted to run up the stage and give Ed a really big hug and thank him for his passion. Good thing I wasn't by the aisle or I might have done it! I don't think I want to say much else to him, I would probably make an ass out of myself =)
  • Options
    catwomancatwoman Posts: 256
    White pants?

I love it!

Champagne Breakfast -- thanks for posting. What a great story.
  • Options
    Nice to take care of Dad.

Also, cool to meet EV.
    Hold On
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    What a great story :)

And my god... has anyone EVER had a bad encounter with this man? For someone so ill at ease with fame, he seems so gracious with all the fans :)
    This is one of the stranger things that has ever happened to me.
    I debated posting this because its not really my thing to post an encounter like this (nothing against those who do). However I'm interested in response

So Monday afternoon I am walking around after lunch near my office. My father is coming into the city so I was thinking of places him and I would go. To eat, have a drink, etc. On my way back to work I walk past a certain hotel area which I have heard of numerous times but have never actually seen or gone to. I went in to check out the restaurant which has an incredible view and their cocktail lounge thinking that might be a place we can go. So I'm leaving the lobby and going back downstairs to exit and go back outside & back to work. As I get to the exit I go up to the woman at the desk and ask about the bar scene at night. In my rearview I see someone sitting in the chairs I had just walked past and talking to another man. I hear the voice which sounds familiar turn around and its Eddie.

Totally thrown off,.....I had to just say hello. So I waited a second until he finished his conversation, excused myself and said hello. We shook hands and I briefly mentioned that I'm sure he hears it all the time but wanted to thank you for your music and all it has done for me and meant to me. He quietly responds and mentions that he can relate to the feeling because music has the same effect on him too. He then asked if NYC was my town,..I say yes & I will be going to both shows & explained my pops was coming by so I was checking out this bar. We chatted a few seconds longer and somehow I brought up that I myself just completed a few solo shows. Looking me straight in the eyes his face lit up and said ......"You play?" I told him i've been playing a solo version of Light Years. Now here comes the coolest part but also most embarassing......Eddie then dug into his suitcase and told me he was looking for a pic to give me but couldn't find anymore. So he then hands me a red & yellow MR sticker that you see on a few of his guitars and stage props and says ..."take this its a favorite of mine". I was in complete shock. Now being from NYC i do not know much about surfing. I thanked Ed graciously for giving me the sticker but did not know at the time MR stands for Mark Richards and I said "Marky Ramone???" This caused Ed and his friend to laugh a little and say...yea yea yea. Haha I had no idea; nor was I prepared for this. Anyway that was it, I thanked Ed again, told him if my father & I end up going to this bar and he is there first beer is on me (he says "ok. maybe someday," shook hands, and left totally in a headspin.

This wouldn't have been my ideal conversation environment or situation for meeting Ed if I could pick one out, but when you have such a short window and you are really surprised like that, you don't necessarily always say what you think you would if you ever met such a positive influence on your life. It was truly the last thing I would've thought walking in there especially being that there were really no signs of the situation (ie, people waiting outside, no vans, no tour bus, etc). Regardless,...I am still in somewhat of a headspin but it was an absolute honor.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    NCBRI wrote:
    That is a great story man. Any of your music on line for those of us who don't live in the NYC area?
    sure i can pm you my myspace.
    thanks for the interest.

& thanks again everybody for the positive feedback and interest.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    thanks for the interest.

me too, me too!
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Awesome story!
  • Options
    SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    great story

anyone have a pic of the sticker?
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    SBC03 wrote:
    great story

anyone have a pic of the sticker?

They're on his tape spools at his shows.
    You can see the logo here - http://markrichardssurfboards.com/
  • Options
    Oz Jammer wrote:
    They're on his tape spools at his shows.
    You can see the logo here - http://markrichardssurfboards.com/
    that's it! its now hanging on my wall!
    looked exactly like marky ramone to me the non-educated surfer. haha!

http://www.interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=125741&
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

• Options
    that's it! its now hanging on my wall!
    looked exactly like marky ramone to me the non-educated surfer. haha!

http://www.interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=125741&

Don't worry mate, I'm sure you're not the only one who makes that mistake :)
    MR will be stoked to hear your story. I'll have to remember to tell it to him next time I see him
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    thats a cool story man. . .i met billy joel by chance a few months ago (on the way to going to see him in concert), he turned out to be a real cool dude. . .i was just really hoping he would be cool and not some stuck-up, pretenious a-hole, and was glad when that was the case. . .it would ruin it for me if i met someone i was a fan of and they were an asshole. . . every person i've heard on here who's met ev says he's cool which is great. . .it would be great to meet him some day just to tell'em how much he's inspired me
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    arielariel Posts: 191
    great story, thanks for deciding to share it. very cool when fans meet someone they admire and it goes well and lives up to how they imagined their admired person would be :)
    Creating walls to call your own
    So no one catches you?
  • Options
    Oz Jammer wrote:
    Don't worry mate, I'm sure you're not the only one who makes that mistake :)
    MR will be stoked to hear your story. I'll have to remember to tell it to him next time I see him
    Ha! Please share that story with me if you ever do get the chance to tell him!
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

• Options
    Ha! Please share that story with me if you ever do get the chance to tell him!

I'll be chatting with him over the next few days so I'll have to remember to mention it :D
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Very cool story, Champagne, thanks for posting it! What a great way to have met Ed, simply by chance and while you were trying to do something nice for your dad. Something you will never forget.

I kind of understand that tailspin feeling too because a couple of months ago I met Johnny Winter at O'Hare Airport. He was leaving the Chicago Blues Festival and was just exhausted but he was incredibly friendly and gracious to me and my husband when we told him we were fans and we were from Texas too. My husband managed to keep his cool and say things like "Thanks for all the music, Mr. Winter, you're one of the best blues players ever" but I turned into a blithering idiot and talked about the shows I'd seen him play! He seemed to get a big kick out of it and posed for a picture with me. I didn't get back to normal for hours.

Anyway, God forbid I ever meet Ed! I can't imagine what stupid things I'd say!
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    meme wrote:
    me too, me too!

Me three!

Congrats on your great encounter!
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    thanks for the interest.

me too!
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!