Wrigley GA line questions

Historically, does Wrigley limit how early you can line up for GA? Do they use a wristband system? Can I expect a decent spot if I line up at like 3am?
Wrigley 7/19/2013
Philadelphia 10/22/2013
Baltimore 10/27/2013
Hampton 4/18/2016
Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
Wrigley 8/31/2024
Baltimore 9/12/2024
Fenway 9/15/2024

Comments

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,931
    You should get in line now....
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,204
    I was in GA for both Wrigley shows in 2018. The line stretched for several blocks for both nights. If you lineup at 3am you'll get a good spot. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • madhat181madhat181 Posts: 372
    edited February 21
    In 2018 there was a sign that said you couldn’t line up until a certain time the morning of the event. The was a sign posted where the line was supposed to start. I got there between 6-6:30 AM for night 1 and was able to get rail on Mike’s and got a few picks he threw to the crowd. The line started on W Waveland at the parking lot across from Murphy’s. My spot was in front of the building right after the train tracks before N Wilton. 
    Post edited by madhat181 on
  • ChrrieChrrie Posts: 99
    I think at this point anyone trying for a spot on the rail should just assume that a line will be formed somewhere, usually 24+ hours before the show, despite the venue or anyone else saying you can’t line up. There’s only been a few exceptions that I can recall over the past 2 years, Camden and Oakland being two. 
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Historically doesn't mean they will do it the same this year. I'd wait for actual instructions. 
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,891
    edited February 21
    know1 said:
    Historically doesn't mean they will do it the same this year. I'd wait for actual instructions. 
    The instructions will say something like camping isn't allowed. But there will be a group that doesn't follow the instructions and lines up anyway 
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    SHZA said:
    know1 said:
    The instructions will say something like camping isn't allowed. But there will be a group that doesn't follow the instructions and lines up anyway 
    I'm just saying that it's 6 months from now. You might have a better handle on what will happen and what is allowed a little closer to the show.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    know1 said:

Who is they? Unless the 10c implements a lottery system for GA early entry there will be people queuing. 
  • At every recent Wrigley show an email is sent that camping out is not allowed, but people camp out anyway making an unofficial line. I'd expect the same this time.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    Chrrie said:
    I think at this point anyone trying for a spot on the rail should just assume that a line will be formed somewhere, usually 24+ hours before the show, despite the venue or anyone else saying you can’t line up. There’s only been a few exceptions that I can recall over the past 2 years, Camden and Oakland being two. 
    I always thought that was dumb. An official unofficial start to a line that doesn't start until the next day. I've never lined up for GA so maybe my presumptions are off, but it always came across to me as the cool kids saying they're the line while getting to hang out somewhere else then bully people into not following the actual written rules. I say that because of the stories I've read of people who actually did follow the rules and lined up at the correct time, then being yelled at by people in the made up pre-line and forced to move back. 
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,398
    The beauty of unofficial lines is if you can beat them to the gate you win.  
  • The beauty of unofficial lines is if you can beat them to the gate you win.  
    True, Pretty sure that happened at one of the Wrigley shows last go round. 
  • KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,537
    edited February 21
    i got GA for wrigley 1 but I am afraid I wont get there in time for a good spot, plus my girlfriend is really short so we need to be pretty close to the front 
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
    Seattle 5.30.2024  Noblesville 8.26.2024  Chicago 8.29.2024  Chicago 8.31.2024 
  • Kwieneke said:
    i got GA for wrigley 1 but I am afraid I wont get there in time for a good spot, plus my girlfriend is really short so we need to be pretty close to the front 
    In 2016 we had GA and got there around 10am. We ended up 5 people deep on Mikes side. My wife is short (5'2") but she enjoyed it.

You can always show up close to show time and just hang in the back of the pit as well
    Except the official venue security will honor the unofficial line based on unofficial instructions from the band, or the line will browbeat those who follow the rules about how unfair it would be for the line members not to be first after camping out for two days 
    mace1229 said:
    Chrrie said:
    I always thought that was dumb. An official unofficial start to a line that doesn't start until the next day. I've never lined up for GA so maybe my presumptions are off, but it always came across to me as the cool kids saying they're the line while getting to hang out somewhere else then bully people into not following the actual written rules. I say that because of the stories I've read of people who actually did follow the rules and lined up at the correct time, then being yelled at by people in the made up pre-line and forced to move back. 
    The problem is there will always need to be a line because of the amount of people who show up and want to be on the rail. If a venue says they don’t allow queuing until say, 8am the day of the show, what are those 50-75 people doing at 7:59? Does everyone stay in their cars or on the sidewalk across the street until exactly 8am and then run as fast as they can to the “official” line? Of course not, one would think you would line up in the order that you arrived and wait until the venue tells you to come over. But more people than you’d think are willing to arrive a day early to make sure they are in the front of the line. 
    Kwieneke said:
    In 2016 we had GA and got there around 10am. We ended up 5 people deep on Mikes side. My wife is short (5'2") but she enjoyed it.

You can always show up close to show time and just hang in the back of the pit as well
    thanks for the advice. definitely may weigh my options regarding keeping GA or trading for good seats. I'd be pretty selective. On the other hand, Ive never had GA and would be mad I gave it up 
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
  • Kwieneke said:
    Kwieneke said:

thanks for the advice. definitely may weigh my options regarding keeping GA or trading for good seats. I'd be pretty selective. On the other hand, Ive never had GA and would be mad I gave it up 
    Don't give them up. At Wrigley it's better to be in back of GA than in any of the seats 
    Kwieneke said:
    Kwieneke said:

For my money, GA in an arena is a far better experience than at Wrigley. The pit is just so huge that even lining up well before doors I felt pretty far away from the stage 
    SHZA said:
    Kwieneke said:
    Kwieneke said:

For my money, GA in an arena is a far better experience than at Wrigley. The pit is just so huge that even lining up well before doors I felt pretty far away from the stage 
    I figure the only reason I won was because of the size. I feel like I read someone saying it was 1500 people 
  • SHZA said:
    Kwieneke said:
    Kwieneke said:

I agree with this as well. But seats at Wrigley are all far away
    Kwieneke said:
    all feedback is appreciated from those who have done it!
    Chrrie said:
    mace1229 said:
    Chrrie said:
    The problem is there will always need to be a line because of the amount of people who show up and want to be on the rail. If a venue says they don’t allow queuing until say, 8am the day of the show, what are those 50-75 people doing at 7:59? Does everyone stay in their cars or on the sidewalk across the street until exactly 8am and then run as fast as they can to the “official” line? Of course not, one would think you would line up in the order that you arrived and wait until the venue tells you to come over. But more people than you’d think are willing to arrive a day early to make sure they are in the front of the line. 
    I understand the need for it. But the problem is those who aren't active in social media or whatever venue used to spread the word dont know, will hang out in some other dive bar. The when the official time starts they get told they were hanging out and drinking in the wrong place by some other unofficial dude who was just hanging out and drinking all night with his friends. Say the second group had 10 people with them, whose to say which is the official preline then?  I'd be pissed if I hung out all night at some other bar, just to be told by some dude that I hung out in the wrong bar and I need to move to the end of the line just because he's in more facebook groups than me. 
    SHZA said:
    Except the official venue security will honor the unofficial line based on unofficial instructions from the band, or the line will browbeat those who follow the rules about how unfair it would be for the line members not to be first after camping out for two days 
    I've never heard about security honoring an unofficial line. But I have seen the band post in the past that there is no such thing as a pre-line and no pre-line ups will be honored at GA.
    Kwieneke said:
    Kwieneke said:
    all feedback is appreciated from those who have done it!
    I don’t know what Wrigley will be like but there were 100 people already in line by 8am the day of the last four Texas shows. Wrigley’s pit is much bigger than those arenas so I would think it’s at least going to be similar if not more people showing up. 
    mace1229 said:
    Chrrie said:
    mace1229 said:
    Chrrie said:
    I understand the need for it. But the problem is those who aren't active in social media or whatever venue used to spread the word dont know, will hang out in some other dive bar. The when the official time starts they get told they were hanging out and drinking in the wrong place by some other unofficial dude who was just hanging out and drinking all night with his friends. Say the second group had 10 people with them, who’s to say which is the official preline then?  I'd be pissed if I hung out all night at some other bar, just to be told by some dude that I hung out in the wrong bar and I need to move to the end of the line just because he's in more facebook groups than me. 
    The unofficial line isn’t in a bar, it’s outside of the venue. That’s why my advice earlier is assume there is going to be a line of people somewhere that is findable if you walk around the venue grounds. I think someone mentioned a few comments up where the line was for the last Wrigley shows. 
    edited February 21
    Chrrie said:
    mace1229 said:
    Chrrie said:
    mace1229 said:
    Chrrie said:
    I understand the need for it. But the problem is those who aren't active in social media or whatever venue used to spread the word dont know, will hang out in some other dive bar. The when the official time starts they get told they were hanging out and drinking in the wrong place by some other unofficial dude who was just hanging out and drinking all night with his friends. Say the second group had 10 people with them, who’s to say which is the official preline then?  I'd be pissed if I hung out all night at some other bar, just to be told by some dude that I hung out in the wrong bar and I need to move to the end of the line just because he's in more facebook groups than me. 
    The unofficial line isn’t in a bar, it’s outside of the venue. That’s why my advice earlier is assume there is going to be a line of people somewhere that is findable if you walk around the venue grounds. I think someone mentioned a few comments up where the line was for the last Wrigley shows. 
    I thought they didn't let you line up anywhere on the venue grounds? Isn't that the point of no line, they don't want you on the grounds at 4 AM?
    And if you're the first or second one, it won't be findable. Who's to say your spot is the start and not some other dude with a 90s haircut who walked 100 yards in the opposite direction? 

The stories shared in the passed might not have been a bar, but it was somewhere across the street and organized by an inner circle of fans via social media. From the sounds of it, it didn't sound like they necessarily stood in line, but just took note of who arrived when and hung out.
    Like I said, I've never done it so maybe my perception was off, but thats what I gathered from the several stories I've read.

And there is a better way. Remember buying tickets pre-internet sales? Tickets would go on sale at 10 AM, they'd announce no lines before 7:00. At 7:30 they pass out random random numbers to everyone there and line up accordingly to that. Everyone knew that so no one would arrive before 7. Everyone else who arrived after just gets in the end of the line. 
    That seems like.a better option that having another fan in charge of which is the official pre-line.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:
    SHZA said:
    I've never heard about security honoring an unofficial line. But I have seen the band post in the past that there is no such thing as a pre-line and no pre-line ups will be honored at GA.
    You've never heard about it because it's unofficial. You'd have to have been there and seen it, which you say you've never done. The official rule and policy is that no camping is allowed before a certain time and no pre-lines will be honored. That's not how it works in practice 
    mace1229 said:
    Chrrie said:
    mace1229 said:
    Chrrie said:
    mace1229 said:
    Chrrie said:
    I thought they didn't let you line up anywhere on the venue grounds? Isn't that the point of no line, they don't want you on the grounds at 4 AM?
    And if you're the first or second one, it won't be findable. Who's to say your spot is the start and not some other dude with a 90s haircut who walked 100 yards in the opposite direction? 

The stories shared in the passed might not have been a bar, but it was somewhere across the street and organized by an inner circle of fans via social media. From the sounds of it, it didn't sound like they necessarily stood in line, but just took note of who arrived when and hung out.
    Like I said, I've never done it so maybe my perception was off, but thats what I gathered from the several stories I've read.

And there is a better way. Remember buying tickets pre-internet sales? Tickets would go on sale at 10 AM, they'd announce no lines before 7:00. At 7:30 they pass out random random numbers to everyone there and line up accordingly to that. Everyone knew that so no one would arrive before 7. Everyone else who arrived after just gets in the end of the line. 
    That seems like.a better option that having another fan in charge of which is the official pre-line.
    Exactly my point, the venue can say it doesn’t allow queuing but when people show up they normally work with you on a place they’d like you to be. At Ft. Worth it was in one of their parking lots. One of the venue staff even came out and said if there are storms they would have us go into their parking garage. Also camping out isn’t a Pearl Jam only thing. I guess it’s pretty common with Harry Styles and Paramore so you can go find out where those people stayed and do the same thing. People for Harry Styles camped
    for like 9 days I guess in Austin last year. 

I also follow DMB which does a random lottery for the first 100 people who get to enter. If PJ did something like that it would definitely stop the camping, but watch Ed interact with some of the people he recognizes because they are often in front of him, he clearly appreciates them. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    Chrrie said:
    mace1229 said:
    Chrrie said:
    mace1229 said:
    Chrrie said:
    mace1229 said:
    Chrrie said:

Exactly my point, the venue can say it doesn’t allow queuing but when people show up they normally work with you on a place they’d like you to be. At Ft. Worth it was in one of their parking lots. One of the venue staff even came out and said if there are storms they would have us go into their parking garage. Also camping out isn’t a Pearl Jam only thing. I guess it’s pretty common with Harry Styles and Paramore so you can go find out where those people stayed and do the same thing. People for Harry Styles camped
    for like 9 days I guess in Austin last year. 

I also follow DMB which does a random lottery for the first 100 people who get to enter. If PJ did something like that it would definitely stop the camping, but watch Ed interact with some of the people he recognizes because they are often in front of him, he clearly appreciates them. 
    in St. Paul, right after Pearl Jam people started camping out overnight for Greta Van Fleet - so it definitely happens all the time.