PSA/Reminder to US fans heading to Europe this summer: Check your passport(s)!

Your passport should be valid for at least six months beyond your intended return date to the US; otherwise, if you're visiting a country in the Schengen area (Germany, Spain, Portugal, among others), you might be denied entry. We learned this the hard way at the Munich airport in 2014.

Passport processing times are said to be very slow right now -- eleven weeks, I think? -- so if your passport expires between now and a year from now I'd make renewing it a top priority.

Safe travels!
All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.

Comments

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    Your passport should be valid for at least six months beyond your intended return date to the US; otherwise, if you're visiting a country in the Schengen area (Germany, Spain, Portugal, among others), you might be denied entry. We learned this the hard way at the Munich airport in 2014.

Passport processing times are said to be very slow right now -- eleven weeks, I think? -- so if your passport expires between now and a year from now I'd make renewing it a top priority.

Safe travels!
    Also make sure they are in good condition. I read a story of someone not being able to use theirs due to a tear in a page.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    Good advice, you will be denied if it expires within 6 months, get a new one now!
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,931
    Bumping this because I can tell you I cried most of the way back to Newark from Munich. Check your passports!
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • I realized my wife's passport expires in April a few weeks ago, so we sent it in for renewal. We are hitting Vancouver in May, should be back in time.
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    Don't you also need visas for Europe now, starting this year?
    I'm not an expert, but I don't think so? My husband travels there regularly on business and I've never heard him mention a visa (he needs one to go to China, on the other hand).

But I recommend that you check with a reliable source such as the State Dept. website.
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    I'm not an expert, but I don't think so? My husband travels there regularly on business and I've never heard him mention a visa (he needs one to go to China, on the other hand).

But I recommend that you check with a reliable source such as the State Dept. website.
    I could be wrong. I have no immediate international travel plans. But I remember seeing a number of news stories late last year saying that effective 2024, US citizens would need a visa for European travel. Perhaps there was some sort of extension given on that, much like the numerous extensions they've given for "REAL ID" for air travel here in the US. I honestly don't know. Just wanted to give a heads-up in case.
  • Don't you also need visas for Europe now, starting this year?

I could be wrong. I have no immediate international travel plans. But I remember seeing a number of news stories late last year saying that effective 2024, US citizens would need a visa for European travel. Perhaps there was some sort of extension given on that, much like the numerous extensions they've given for "REAL ID" for air travel here in the US. I honestly don't know. Just wanted to give a heads-up in case.
    Believe that is for 2025
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426

If I remember correctly it got delayed a year into 2025
    I think there was talk of charging some sort of nominal fee -- like $13 or something -- to enter certain countries. That might be coming? Beyond that I don't know -- I only know that my husband has been to Europe this year, no visa needed, but again I'd advise you, myself, and anyone else to check with the State Dept website before getting on a plane to Europe.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    Call the embassy
  • Wolfgang2178Wolfgang2178 CA, USA Posts: 9
    NO. This was pushed back until at least 2025.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,928
    Bumping this because I can tell you I cried most of the way back to Newark from Munich. Check your passports!

Oh gosh... I realize this was almost 10 years ago, but that must have been awful for you.  How awesome of you to remind people so they don't have a problem!!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Micheyb21Micheyb21 Posts: 266
    NO. This was pushed back until at least 2025.
    The Euro ETIAS rollout has been delayed until 2025 .

One passport tip for UK people to check now - if you renewed your passport early previously, they added those extra months onto the expiry date - so 10yrs+. These additional months over the 10 yrs are no longer valid for travel to Europe as a post brexit rule and although legally need min 3mths left for Europe, The EU states 6mths min is recommended advice which is in line with most other country advice. This will also apply to any country you transit through. So rule of thumb to avoid any potential issues is make sure you have min 6mths left and if not look to renew.

For example- issue date was Apr 2015, expiry Aug 2025. So when a country requires a min 6mths left, it DOESNT include those added on months. So that passport would in effect expire April 2025 meaning would only be good for travel until Oct 2024 in theory. There have been several cases of people not allowed to board flights out. So check your passports and both the issue and expiry dates and deduct any added on months and double check the Gov Uk website.
    2000 Cardiff/ 2006 Paris/ 2011 Toronto/ 2013 Chicago/ 2014 Amsterdam 1 & Milton Keynes, 
    2016 MSG 1 & 2/ 2017 London Ed solo/ 2018 London 1, Padua, Rome, Prague & London 2
    2019 Dusseldorf & Dublin Ed Solo  
    2022 Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Vienna, Prague, Ams 1 & Ams 2
    2024 Manchester, London, Auckland & Sydney
    on2legs said:

Oh gosh... I realize this was almost 10 years ago, but that must have been awful for you.  How awesome of you to remind people so they don't have a problem!!

Yeah -- twentieth anniversary trip, our first vacation since our honeymoon, tickets to see PJ in Vienna, Berlin, Oslo, Stockholm. I wasn't a happy camper. BUT since I speak German I was able to keep my husband from being arrested, so there's that. The border officers gave me the option of traveling on alone, but I decided I'd rather keep my husband and miss the shows.
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,087
    Planning a trip to the Dublin show with friends and I’d bet really money that at least one of them will screw this up.
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024