Options

Portland - Hotels and Things to Do

13»

Comments

• Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,604
    chaspj said:
    100 Pacer said:
    There shouldn't be any problems walking down NE Multnomah St or NE Holladay St to the Hilton after the show, right? 

I think in response to your question and @100 Pacer I'd say that there's a difference between property crime and violent crime. I'm comfortable (alert, of course, but comfortable), as a woman, running alone along the river early in the morning. I am not comfortable with the idea of leaving my car parked on the street all day.
    I’ll be driving a rental car most likely with out of state plates so it’s already a magnet. It looked to me like there’s a some sort of parking structure attached to the venue? I wonder if that’s the case whether they open at the start of the day and will allow a vehicle parked until end of event? 
    Yes the Rose Garden has 3 garages and you can reserve a spot.  Rose Quarter - Event Parking  East and West garages are just across the street and the Garden garage is next to the arena with elevators that take you directly to arena entrances (I think at least one is only available thru the garage, so maybe shorter lines).  I just booked a Garden spot, $28.60 with fees, opens at 12:30pm and closes 11:30pm.  Free cancellation up to start time.
    Fantastic. Much appreciated. Does the reservation system require vehicle details prior? And another silly question: can you easily return to your vehicle throughout the day? 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    McGanahanMcGanahan Posts: 16
    If anyone wants to enjoy the lovely weather in Portland on Friday...I definitely suggest finding a neighborhood that suits your fancy -- Alberta or Mississippi, for instance -- and wander around and hit some food cart pods and beer patios.

I kind of feel like the most enjoyable things to do in this city on nice afternoons are gardens (Japanese garden, Rose garden, Crystal Springs Rhododendron garden) and eating/drinking on patios and at food carts. That's what I enjoy doing on such days, anyway. At least if you're not inclined to drive to the Columbia River Gorge for a day of hiking and waterfalls. If you're a go-getter, you can do both.
  • Options
    julieferjuliefer New Westminster, BC Posts: 395
    Are there any safe parking garages that we can leave our car in downtown? We were planning to take transit to the show. The parking at our hotel is super expensive so I'd like to avoid it if there's another option within a few blocks. We're around Washington and 5th.
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 606
    I can't be the only one who thinks 89 and sunny is not ideal weather, lol. Fair enough. Perhaps I've been in the PNW too long.
  • Options
    chaspjchaspj Portlandia Posts: 72
    100 Pacer said:
    chaspj said:
    100 Pacer said:
    There shouldn't be any problems walking down NE Multnomah St or NE Holladay St to the Hilton after the show, right? 

I think in response to your question and @100 Pacer I'd say that there's a difference between property crime and violent crime. I'm comfortable (alert, of course, but comfortable), as a woman, running alone along the river early in the morning. I am not comfortable with the idea of leaving my car parked on the street all day.
    I’ll be driving a rental car most likely with out of state plates so it’s already a magnet. It looked to me like there’s a some sort of parking structure attached to the venue? I wonder if that’s the case whether they open at the start of the day and will allow a vehicle parked until end of event? 
    Yes the Rose Garden has 3 garages and you can reserve a spot.  Rose Quarter - Event Parking  East and West garages are just across the street and the Garden garage is next to the arena with elevators that take you directly to arena entrances (I think at least one is only available thru the garage, so maybe shorter lines).  I just booked a Garden spot, $28.60 with fees, opens at 12:30pm and closes 11:30pm.  Free cancellation up to start time.
    Fantastic. Much appreciated. Does the reservation system require vehicle details prior? And another silly question: can you easily return to your vehicle throughout the day? 
    No vehicle info required. And yes garage will be open so you can come and go. 
    "Once you hold the hand of love, it's all surmountable"

Portland 2000
    Portland 2013
    Seattle I and II 2018
    Oakland I and II 2020 2022
    Nashvegas 2022
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,604
    chaspj said:
    100 Pacer said:
    chaspj said:
    100 Pacer said:

Reserved.

Thank you kindly @chaspj
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,706
    McGanahan said:
    If anyone wants to enjoy the lovely weather in Portland on Friday...I definitely suggest finding a neighborhood that suits your fancy -- Alberta or Mississippi, for instance -- and wander around and hit some food cart pods and beer patios.

I kind of feel like the most enjoyable things to do in this city on nice afternoons are gardens (Japanese garden, Rose garden, Crystal Springs Rhododendron garden) and eating/drinking on patios and at food carts. That's what I enjoy doing on such days, anyway. At least if you're not inclined to drive to the Columbia River Gorge for a day of hiking and waterfalls. If you're a go-getter, you can do both.
    I love walking around the different neighborhoods in Portland. Rhododendrons are popping too, so I really recommend those if you’re coming from somewhere where they don’t have em. 
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:
    chaspj said:
    100 Pacer said:
    chaspj said:
    100 Pacer said:

Reserved.

Thank you kindly @chaspj
    My pleasure.  Hope you have a great visit to Portlandia!

Portland 2000
    Portland 2013
    Seattle I and II 2018
    Nashvegas 2022
  • Options
    McGanahan said:

I love walking around the different neighborhoods in Portland. Rhododendrons are popping too, so I really recommend those if you’re coming from somewhere where they don’t have em. 
    McGanahan said:

Here's another plug for the Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden (crystalspringsgardenpdx.org).  The rhodies are in fine form and you'll see ducks, geese, mergansers, and other waterfowl in the adjoining lake.  A bald eagle pair usually nest above the garden too.  Reed College is across the street and a beautiful campus to walk.  And just around the corner is the Gigantic Brewing brewery and taproom - my favorite outdoor pub setting in town (and fantastic beer).  

Portland 2000
    Portland 2013
    Seattle I and II 2018
    Nashvegas 2022
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,319
    juliefer said:
    Are there any safe parking garages that we can leave our car in downtown? We were planning to take transit to the show. The parking at our hotel is super expensive so I'd like to avoid it if there's another option within a few blocks. We're around Washington and 5th.

Are you wanting to leave your car in a public garage rather than paying the hotel's parking fee? I have little recollection of daily parking rates in the area, so I can't help too much with that. I'd expect it to be at least $30/day, though, for public parking (just spitballing here).

Washington and 5th to Moda Center is a bit over a mile (2km); honestly I'd walk that, but I don't know if you have health/ mobility issues that affect your choices.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,524
    Any reason you all think there aren’t more Portland threads? I know one is enough, but leading up to Vancouvers, there were tons of requests, etc. 
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,572
    We want to showcase Tremor Christ. 
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,825
    edited May 9
    mwplum said:
    Any reason you all think there aren’t more Portland threads? I know one is enough, but leading up to Vancouvers, there were tons of requests, etc. 
    I got my request already, GA for my birthday. I feel like requesting more would just be greedy, lol. 
    I think today and tomorrow we will see more pop up probably.
    Post edited by northerndragon on
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    julieferjuliefer New Westminster, BC Posts: 395
    juliefer said:

Are you wanting to leave your car in a public garage rather than paying the hotel's parking fee? I have little recollection of daily parking rates in the area, so I can't help too much with that. I'd expect it to be at least $30/day, though, for public parking (just spitballing here).

Washington and 5th to Moda Center is a bit over a mile (2km); honestly I'd walk that, but I don't know if you have health/ mobility issues that affect your choices.

Thanks! Yes, we could walk it, depending on how exhausted we are after the show. I was just thinking transit would be the quickest option but maybe with everyone getting out of the show at once it would end up taking just as long anyway.
  • Options
    ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 311
    Had two good meals yesterday - Screen Door for lunch and Bhuna (Indian food). Bhuna chef was on Beat Bobby Flay. Off to see the waterfalls this morning! Looking forward to the concert tonight.
  • Options
    What a beautiful day in Portland to see Pearl Jam!  
    Gorge
  • Options
    McGanahanMcGanahan Posts: 16
    Can't wait for the show tonight. It's an absolutely perfect spring day in Portland. the flowers are bursting everywhere, and my fellow faithful are pouring in from all over to see the best band on planet earth. I already met a few PJ fans from out of town last night, checking into the hotel where I work.

Would love to say I'm gonna spend the day before the show drinking beer on a patio and eating good food or hiking a waterfall, but in truth, I'm just gonna cut out of work early to get a good spot in the GA line. If you see a guy with long hair and a leopard scrunchie reading a Jerry Garcia biography in camping chairs, sitting with a pretty brunette gal in a Stickman t-shirt...stop by and say hi to my wife and I!

To all those who ARE spending the day enjoying this fine city: Enjoy! It doesn't get much more beautiful here than it is today. See you inside!
  • Options
    LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 765
    edited May 10
    Columbia River waterfalls along the river, i think theres 12-14 w/ Multnomah beeing the most famous...or drive out to astoria to see the Goonies house and Cannon beach. and end it with Antifa recruitment meeting tent city 4pm Saturday. and hit Voodoo donuts since its the most touristy thing to do...or hit one of the great pubs by Rogue, Deschutes, etc
    Post edited by LukinAtU on
  • Options
    djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 222
    Jealous of you all out there enjoying the day! I'm putting in a day of work, while waiting for my son to get home from school and my wife home from work before we can head out and hopefully be in our seats by the time Is This Real? his the stage. Happy show day, everyone!
  • Options
    Original_ShiftyOriginal_Shifty Posts: 260
    I don't know if it's going to be hotter outside or inside the venue. If the 2 nights in Van are any indication, it mostly likely will be inside. LOL. Got my Tragically Hip T with me, my GA ticket on my phone, and I'm ready to GOOOOOOOO! Let's do this!!!

I'm also going to ignore there's a Canucks game on tonight and not keep checking my phone for the score. Damn game 1 was amazing.
    2011: Vancouver
    2013: LA 1 & LA 2, Vancouver
    2018: Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    2022: LA 1 & LA 2
    2024: Vancouver 1 & Vancouver 2, Portland, Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,524
    1-0 Canucks halfway through 1st!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 606
    Flat tire on drive, but I made it! FU God, lol! Can’t wait