Options

Portland - Hotels and Things to Do

Comments

• Options
    Original_ShiftyOriginal_Shifty Posts: 260
    I'm staying at the Doubletree Hyatt and will be on foot/transit. I'm thinking of going to Culmination and Level Beer on the day before the show which are in walking distance.

Anyone know if they are worth it, or should I get on the bus and go to the Great Notion and Breakside which are north of my hotel? I've been to GN in Ballard WA and have had some of Breakside's beer. Both produces amazing brews. Just wondering how Culmination and Level Beer stack up.
    I don't know your financial situation but the public transit scene in Portland is rough.  If you don't want to see the worst that this city has to offer, I would Uber/Lyft around vs taking Max or Trimet.  Transit is mostly fine but just know what you are getting into if you decide to go that route.  I don't like Culmination or Level as much as I like Breakside as far as breweries go.  10 Barrel is also a nice setting and Wayfinder is decent.
    Thanks for the info. On a past visit about 10 years ago we took quite a number of trips by transit in Portland and didn't really see a problem but perhaps things have changed since then. It's really not about finances, we just use Transit everyday in Vancouver, and Seattle has a great transit system and we always feel safe. I figured Portland wouldn't be much different. Sounds like it may be though. I'll stick with ride shares then if things have gotten bad seeing I'm solo for the trip. Grateful for the heads up.
    2011: Vancouver
    2013: LA 1 & LA 2, Vancouver
    2018: Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    2022: LA 1 & LA 2
    2024: Vancouver 1 & Vancouver 2, Portland, Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,294
    edited May 2
    I'm staying at the Doubletree Hyatt and will be on foot/transit. I'm thinking of going to Culmination and Level Beer on the day before the show which are in walking distance.

Anyone know if they are worth it, or should I get on the bus and go to the Great Notion and Breakside which are north of my hotel? I've been to GN in Ballard WA and have had some of Breakside's beer. Both produces amazing brews. Just wondering how Culmination and Level Beer stack up.
    I don't know your financial situation but the public transit scene in Portland is rough.  If you don't want to see the worst that this city has to offer, I would Uber/Lyft around vs taking Max or Trimet.  Transit is mostly fine but just know what you are getting into if you decide to go that route.  I don't like Culmination or Level as much as I like Breakside as far as breweries go.  10 Barrel is also a nice setting and Wayfinder is decent.
    I dont know what happened to you?  But my wife and i travel to Portland from seattle at least once a year for a concert, mostly at Moda.  We always stay downtown and take the quick light rail to the arena and back.  It is super convenient and have never had a problem or have seen a problem.  If commuting with people less fortunate than you is an issue, avoid all public transit in metro areas.
    Post edited by mr bungle on
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,319
    If you have a sweet tooth, in addition to Salt & Straw ice cream there’s a bakery, open weekends only, called Jen’s Pastries. I’m planning to stop by there on Saturday before heading to Vancouver; I’ll let you know if it’s worth the hype.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    P-Town-P-Jam-FanP-Town-P-Jam-Fan Posts: 930
    mr bungle said:

I dont know what happened to you?  But my wife and i travel to Portland from seattle at least once a year for a concert, mostly at Moda.  We always stay downtown and take the quick light rail to the arena and back.  It is super convenient and have never had a problem or have seen a problem.  If commuting with people less fortunate than you is an issue, avoid all public transit in metro areas.
    I don't ride transit.  Nothing has happened to me.  Its just full of awful drug addicts and tweakers.  If you are good with public transit in gritty areas, it will probably be fine.  I'd say its similar to Seattle.  You think everyone feels safe on Seattle transit?  If you're coming out from a leafy suburb, you might not feel safe at all times.  This sad situation happened a month ago, 100% unprovoked:

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2024/04/max-passenger-lunged-at-rider-unprovoked-stabbed-him-to-death-on-train-in-ne-portland-records-show.html
    Gorge
  • Options
    djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 222

Not really into Culmination. I do like Level, but not crazy about that location. It has some arcade games, but not much beyond that in terms of vibe for me. If you're considering Breakside, I'd just go there. They're always great. Upright Brewing is walking distance from where you're staying and there's now a 3rd Double Mountain location in North Portland as well.
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,177

Thanks for the info. On a past visit about 10 years ago we took quite a number of trips by transit in Portland and didn't really see a problem but perhaps things have changed since then. It's really not about finances, we just use Transit everyday in Vancouver, and Seattle has a great transit system and we always feel safe. I figured Portland wouldn't be much different. Sounds like it may be though. I'll stick with ride shares then if things have gotten bad seeing I'm solo for the trip. Grateful for the heads up.
    Sadly, a lot in Portland has changed in the past 10 years. It’s not the charmer it used to be. 
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,706
    Certain areas have changed, other areas you won’t notice any difference. Parts of old town/downtown and certain roads you probably win’t be on will have more homeless and people tripped out on fentanyl, and the things that go along with that. The best way to get around Portland is by bike if you can bring one/get ahold of one. 
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,604
    100 Pacer said:
    I’ll be driving down from Seattle.

Pretty straightforward route?
    Plenty of traffic up towards Seattle and south through Olympia.  Route is very straight forward and a bit boring. 
    Sounds good. I’m driving overnight to and from so construction or an accident aside should be good.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options

Not really into Culmination. I do like Level, but not crazy about that location. It has some arcade games, but not much beyond that in terms of vibe for me. If you're considering Breakside, I'd just go there. They're always great. Upright Brewing is walking distance from where you're staying and there's now a 3rd Double Mountain location in North Portland as well.
    The forecast is just getting to next weekend.  Fortunately it looks like it might be nice out!  If so, the N Mississippi area is fantastic and not far from the Moda Center area - maybe 8-10 minutes.  Prost! is an excellent outdoor bar with lots of taps and some of Portland's best food carts, good vibes, especially when the weather is nice.  Bar Bar on the same street also has a nice outdoor area with a great burger and cocktails.
    Gorge
  • Options
    Weather forecast looks perfect. Stoked! 
  • Options
    Because the weather is looking so fabulous for the Portland show and the whole weekend, I thought I would post this decent list of locations with good patios around town.

https://pdx.eater.com/maps/best-bar-patios-portland

Paymaster is excellent as are the N. Mississippi mentions
    Gorge
  • Options
    87 degrees on May 10th - crazy! 
  • Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 729
    edited May 6
    mr bungle said:

From Seattle. I've had the same experience with their light rail. Its been super easy and convenient in my experience. However, to the posters point both Seattle and Portland have a big homeless and drug problem. Its become a lot like San Francisco. Just be aware of your surrounding, its not as clean/safe as it used to be. 
    Post edited by Eddieredder on
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,825
    A co-worker of mine who used to live in Portland sent me this list of recommendations. With extra emphasis on Big's Chicken.

Best Fried Chicken in Portland & Beaverton | Big's Chicken (bigschicken.com)

Laurelwood Brewing Co.

Search | The Official Guide to Portland (travelportland.com)

Edgefield Hotel - McMenamins

Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    I always have fun at any McMenamins, but their beer is consistently average to slightly below average. There’s a Vitalogy Foundation shindig at the Hyatt Friday afternoon, and the weather will make it nice to hit the rooftop bar (metropolitan tavern) on top of the Hotel Eastlund just east of the Rose Garden. It closes at 11:00 apparently, so post show dranks will have to be quick. 
  • Options
    After experiencing my two home Vancouver shows I am absolutely stoked for Portland and being in GA. I'll be wearing my Tragically Hip t with pride and rocking out in the back. Probably hanging out on Mike's side.
  • Options
    withflyingcolorswithflyingcolors CO Posts: 476
    Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions in this thread. I'm flying in from Denver for just about 24 hours. With how amazing the weather is going to be I wish I had more time! I haven't been to Portland since 2007. I'm going to try to get to the Japanese Garden because I land around 9:45am and will have a lot of time to kill. Then I need to find a place to watch the Bruins game before the show. Cramming in a lot and can't wait. 
  • Options
    Is on street parking a viable option within safe walking distance for the entire day and evening?
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions in this thread. I'm flying in from Denver for just about 24 hours. With how amazing the weather is going to be I wish I had more time! I haven't been to Portland since 2007. I'm going to try to get to the Japanese Garden because I land around 9:45am and will have a lot of time to kill. Then I need to find a place to watch the Bruins game before the show. Cramming in a lot and can't wait. 
    Spirit of 77 is a sports bar about a 10 minute walk to Moda. Could be a good spot to catch the Bruins game.
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:
    Is on street parking a viable option within safe walking distance for the entire day and evening?
    That area is such a weird web of streets with the freeways also wrapping around it. I've found street parking to be tough over there, but haven't tried in a long time. I've found the closest street parking that I felt comfortable with was a bit of a walk to the arena.
  • Options
    withflyingcolorswithflyingcolors CO Posts: 476
    Spirit of 77 is a sports bar about a 10 minute walk to Moda. Could be a good spot to catch the Bruins game.
    Awesome thank you.
  • Options
    edited May 8
    100 Pacer said:
    That area is such a weird web of streets with the freeways also wrapping around it. I've found street parking to be tough over there, but haven't tried in a long time. I've found the closest street parking that I felt comfortable with was a bit of a walk to the arena.
    There is some parking within walking distance but they do make it difficult.  During events, they have paid street/meter parking until 10pm.  The problem is, its tough to find a meter that is longer than 4 hours which means parking after 6pm to ensure you can pay for 4 hours of parking and not get ticketed.  There are also various private surface street lots where guys will be selling parking spaces for $20-$25.

The other thought I have about parking in that area all day is its not a great area to be in all day.  There is just not a ton going on in that area where you would want to be there all day long except maybe hitting the Wishlist Party in the area.  I'm unsure what parking availability is like at that Hyatt Hotel as its fairly new.  Street parking considerations:

https://www.portland.gov/transportation/parking/lloyd-event

I also just found out that the Portland Winterhawks are in the Western Hockey League championship and hosting game 1 on Friday.  This is an at an arena right next to the Moda Center so its going to have a negative affect on traffic and parking availability in the area as the Winterhawks have a pretty strong fanbase and will show up for sure.

Post edited by P-Town-P-Jam-Fan on
    Gorge
  • Options
    There shouldn't be any problems walking down NE Multnomah St or NE Holladay St to the Hilton after the show, right? 
  • Options
    chaspjchaspj Portlandia Posts: 72
    There shouldn't be any problems walking down NE Multnomah St or NE Holladay St to the Hilton after the show, right? 
    I think you'll be all right, should be a lot of people about after the show.  You could also take the MAX east a couple of stops to NE 7th station on Holladay.
    "Once you hold the hand of love, it's all surmountable"

Portland 2000
    Portland 2013
    Seattle I and II 2018
    Oakland I and II 2020 2022
    Nashvegas 2022
  • Options
    Forecast now 89 for Friday afternoon.  GA line will probably face West so prepare for baking if you're queueing.  

Portland 2000
    Portland 2013
    Seattle I and II 2018
    Nashvegas 2022
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,319

I think in response to your question and @100 Pacer I'd say that there's a difference between property crime and violent crime. I'm comfortable (alert, of course, but comfortable), as a woman, running alone along the river early in the morning. I am not comfortable with the idea of leaving my car parked on the street all day.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    chaspj said:
    I think you'll be all right, should be a lot of people about after the show.  You could also take the MAX east a couple of stops to NE 7th station on Holladay.
    Thanks for the reply Chaspj. I'll need the walk. If the first two shows were any indication, I'll need to wind down from what I'm sure will be another incredible show.
  • Options

I think in response to your question and @100 Pacer I'd say that there's a difference between property crime and violent crime. I'm comfortable (alert, of course, but comfortable), as a woman, running alone along the river early in the morning. I am not comfortable with the idea of leaving my car parked on the street all day.
    I’ll be driving a rental car most likely with out of state plates so it’s already a magnet. It looked to me like there’s a some sort of parking structure attached to the venue? I wonder if that’s the case whether they open at the start of the day and will allow a vehicle parked until end of event? 

• Options
    100 Pacer said:

I’ll be driving a rental car most likely with out of state plates so it’s already a magnet. It looked to me like there’s a some sort of parking structure attached to the venue? I wonder if that’s the case whether they open at the start of the day and will allow a vehicle parked until end of event? 
    Yes the Rose Garden has 3 garages and you can reserve a spot.  Rose Quarter - Event Parking  East and West garages are just across the street and the Garden garage is next to the arena with elevators that take you directly to arena entrances (I think at least one is only available thru the garage, so maybe shorter lines).  I just booked a Garden spot, $28.60 with fees, opens at 12:30pm and closes 11:30pm.  Free cancellation up to start time.

Portland 2000
    Portland 2013
    Seattle I and II 2018
    Nashvegas 2022
  • Options
    McGanahanMcGanahan Posts: 16
    If anyone wants to avoid the traffic crush of getting out of an arena garage after the show...

The Doubletree by Hilton Portland is about a 15 minute walk up Multnomah street from the arena. Parking in their garage costs a maximum of $29, but oftentimes the arm at the exit of the parking garage is just...left open....or you can just pop into the front desk and say you were visiting a friend in the hotel and would they mind giving you a parking validation coupon? (If you don't feel bad about that ethically dubious sort of fibbing, of course).

Anyway...I often park in the Doubletree garage and just hoof it to the arena. I enjoy the brisk pre and post show walks, and I hate sitting in post-show traffic. YMMV.