Options

French Pearl Jam fans also protest the exorbiant price hike

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,322
edited February 18 in The Porch

Both Spanish fans and French fans have raised their voices.
And this is before seeing the new tour merch prices.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    "We are EstupidaFregona.net, a group of Pearl Jam fans and members of the Ten Club, who since 1999 have been meeting on social networks, concerts and events related to the band and have ended up forming a great community of which we are very proud.
    We feel the need to write this letter in response to the situation experienced in the last few hours after the band’s announcement of its concert tour in 2024.

Since Pearl Jam’s last visit in 2018 to the same Palau Sant Jordi for this year’s concerts, the final price of tickets has increased by 69%, from €98 to €165. To put it in context, salaries in this same period has risen 8%.

Until yesterday, all the tour announcements we had experienced had been great moments of excitement, filled with nerves and plans to meet again with old and new friends in different cities around the world to see the band that unites us. And the feeling today is completely different.
    Being aware that the current global economic situation can influence the price of tickets, we still believe that the band has great decision-making power on this matter. And, knowing its values, we can’t understand that Pearl Jam has become a luxury good reserved for a privileged few."
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,334
    I'm with our European brothers and sisters
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,087
    Sad but true. Hanging in there for an all 10c show. Free choice of Jeff pick on entry. Glad I was privileged enough to see them so many times. With traveling it really was never inexpensive. Shows were begining to get stressful for me anyway. Trying to get a poster...ga politics. Now I just get excited to follow along here. Maybe chase a cool poster. Who knows someday may be thrilled to see them again. Enjoy all that still do. 
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,806
    Seems to me they want less 'traveling around to as many concerts as possible', since they are touring less and less.

Raising prices let's the most varied people in the door rather, especially to the concert goers hometown and less out of towners.

The effect was shown yesterday where it seems the vast majority got their euro picks.

Guessing a lot more people would have been shut out if costs were lower.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 337
    It’s EVERYBODY!!!! Nicki minaj, $350 US for pit in Sweden!!! Nicki Minaj, ffs. Suck it up, or don’t, but enough bitching and moaning. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,261
    edited February 18
    Late Night gif Holding an imaginary phone Seth Meyers scrolls and then stops looking annoyed and rolling his eyes dramatically

ugh come on people
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,087

• Options
    I can afford a few shows easily, but I'm only going to one. I just hate it that the band who was fighting the greedy corporations has become one of them. So in solidarity with those who are concerned and with those who can not afford it, this time it will be just one show. Maybe even my last one. I rather spend my money helping others folks instead of the rich! 
    And folks who compare PJ ticks with other bands to justify the price, are comparing it with premium tickets and/ or tickets from unofficial sellers. Hey, even viagogo is already selling PJ tickets for this tour starting from 600 euros. 
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,806
    Carmen-M said:
    I can afford a few shows easily, but I'm only going to one. I just hate it that the band who was fighting the greedy corporations has become one of them. So in solidarity with those who are concerned and with those who can not afford it, this time it will be just one show. Maybe even my last one. I rather spend my money helping others folks instead of the rich! 
    And folks who compare PJ ticks with other bands to justify the price, are comparing it with premium tickets and/ or tickets from unofficial sellers. Hey, even viagogo is already selling PJ tickets for this tour starting from 600 euros. 
    Well hope you find what you're looking for. You got yours and I got mine.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,356
    Am I happy concert tickets have far outpaced the rate on inflation?  No, not at all.  It bums me out.  Do I blame Pearl Jam? No, I don't.  This is an industry wide phenomenon.

I find myself going to less concerts than I did when I was younger for a multitude of reasons.  I live in an Island so some of them are travel related:

1) Ticket prices keep going up.   I've been spoiled/privledged.  After seeing U2's popmart tour in Vancouver '97 and being in stadium nosebleeds.  I got really good at getting concert tickets.  I've had 25 years of spending most of my concerts in the first 20 rows, in pit sections up front, ga floors, first 20 rows side stage.   I've had amazing run of going to concerts.  I've been lucky.   Problem is I don't believe in the, I'm just happy to be in the building.   That U2 concert, as much as I loved it, taught me it's way more fun to be the with diehards up front.   Diehards of any band.    As tickets have evolved over the past 5 to 10 years, with platinums, and what not.  It's getting harder to get good tickets.    I'm not really big on paying big sums of money to sit in nosebleeds.

2) Hotel costs have spiked.   When I was in my teens and 20's we would just sleep in the car overnight at the ferry terminal.  By the time I got to my late 20's/30's, that didn't sit well anymore, and so it started being we'd get a hotel for a single night.    Hotel prices have sky rocketed over the past few years.  Almost as fast or more than the concert tickets.   We used to make a joke that hotels cost more than concerts, and sometimes it's a little give and go, but it does cost quite a bit now.  Especially here in BC where we've banned AirBNB starting in the spring due the housing crisis (which I 100% agree with).  I keep hoping my favourite bands won't tour in the heart of summer because hotel prices go to the moon.   Shoulder seasons are pretty rough too.  I'm always hoping for winter tours now (which don't happen often).

3) I'm more guarded with vacation days.  If the show is mid-week, do I really want to use 2 vacation days to see a show.   Sunday or a Friday can is a bit better, as I burn 1, but Mon-Thurs where I need two, unless it's Pearl Jam, I'm having a hard time doing that.

4) I'm not good at getting into new music, so every few years there's lands bands I want to see touring.  They either brake up, people pass away, etc.. :(

I can't say I blame my overall reduction in going to concerts just on the ticket prices.  There's a lot that goes into it.   I've only lived in one city where I could go to a concert without any of the additional costs (Edmonton), and I felt pretty spoiled being able to take the LRT the show, get home within 30 mins of the show ending, and still go to work the next day.    Not having to pay for transportation/hotels made concert going ridiculously easy and cheap for me :)

I feel like PJ is getting the brunt of something that's happened in the entire industry.  Mostly likely because when they were younger they campaigned against high ticket prices.  I suppose they aged out of that.  Things changed, while bands didn't get to keep all the revenue from record sales, the rumour was they got to keep a buck an album.   Given how their earlier albums sold, and how much more money was worth then, they probably did make good bank on album sales.    Now it's all concerts and selling merch at concerts.

I dunno.  I'm still lucky in that I'm not priced out yet.   I can't shake the thing, of which one day I might be old, and wish I had concerts to spend my disposable income on.   I am going to less and less concerts, so I don't know at what point I'm done with them.   Haven't hit that wall yet.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,304
    Hard to get behind a group that labels themselves "Pearl Jamily France"
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    tylerjtylerj Indiana Posts: 290
    Can't wait for the storming of the Bastille. 
    Chicago, Aug 24, 2009 
    Noblesville, May 7, 2010
    PJ20 Night 1, 2011
    Cincinnati, Oct. 1, 2014
    Milwaukee, Oct. 20, 2014
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 22, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 18, 2018
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2018
    St. Louis, Sept. 18, 2022
    Chicago, Sept. 5, 2023
    Chicago, Sept. 7, 2023

• Options
    LostDog_72LostDog_72 London Posts: 74
    Poncier said:
    Hard to get behind a group that labels themselves "Pearl Jamily France"
    Why?
  • Options
    FlandersnedFlandersned Near the Alps, Allgaeu, Bavaria, Germany Posts: 24
    Thank you very much for posting this protest note. Fully agreed.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,608
    edited February 19
    When did things start costing money??????????  Get over it.  Find another band to see if you want to pay $50 to get in.  

Price increases since 2020:
    Hotels
    Planes
    Food
    Cars
    Products
    Utilities

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    "We are EstupidaFregona.net, a group of Pearl Jam fans and members of the Ten Club, who since 1999 have been meeting on social networks, concerts and events related to the band and have ended up forming a great community of which we are very proud.
    We feel the need to write this letter in response to the situation experienced in the last few hours after the band’s announcement of its concert tour in 2024.

Since Pearl Jam’s last visit in 2018 to the same Palau Sant Jordi for this year’s concerts, the final price of tickets has increased by 69%, from €98 to €165. To put it in context, salaries in this same period has risen 8%.

Until yesterday, all the tour announcements we had experienced had been great moments of excitement, filled with nerves and plans to meet again with old and new friends in different cities around the world to see the band that unites us. And the feeling today is completely different.
    Being aware that the current global economic situation can influence the price of tickets, we still believe that the band has great decision-making power on this matter. And, knowing its values, we can’t understand that Pearl Jam has become a luxury good reserved for a privileged few."
    Maybe work more than a 6 hour work day.