Options

Do you take into account Pearl Jam later cancellations this tour?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,322
edited February 16 in The Porch
I had/have not. But this morning, my mind went back to sitting in Prague 2022 and getting the cancellation news due to Eddies voice and the Paris show. The second European tour in a row, where they have had to cancel shows because of Eddies voice giving in/needing care. 

But for me, I had not thought about it till today. And it isn't really a factor for me. The fragility of paying a lot to go to another country for PJ.
Is it in the back of your heads, when making plans or is it an easy thing to just forget about?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    They've postponed the last two shows I've had tickets for. One of them was early enough that it didn't matter so much. The other cost me quite a bit of money since I'd already traveled to the venue and checked into the hotel.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,984
    They postponed the fifth show in 2023. It can happen at any time. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 954
    Same as you, it only popped into my head earlier this morning.
    As I went for Manchester and London its early in the leg that I'm not too worried.

It wouldn't stop me going for tickets but it would be in my mind if I were going to one of the shows at the end of the leg.
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,990
    Yes, I do to be honest. Not so much for the UK shows (where I'm from) but for Barcelona, I'm booking as much as possible that I can refund or reschedule, although it is costing more. Also, I've considered, if I get there and it is cancelled, would I be happy to have a couple of days in Barcelona on my own. I've been there before but decided there's still plenty for me to explore if worst comes to worst. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,845
    Yes, it crossed my mind. Two of the three shows I selected are the leg openers.
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,991
    i was in vienna. i just hope it doesnt happen again. The tour is not that big so it might help not having cancelled shows.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,608
    Yep.  But not much that can be done when going to Europe or Australia other than trying to get to multiple cities.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    Definitely a factor for me. 2 of the last 4 shows I had tickets to got canceled. Sacramento and Indy. Both were weekend travel. One of the reasons I've decided not to travel for PJ right now. With 2 small kids, finding weekend care for them and the cost to travel isnt worth the risk. Unless its a city we would travel to with or without PJ. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,717
    edited February 16
    If I travel for a show, I arrange it assuming the show will be cancelled. i.e. flight cancellation insurance and no pre-paid/no cancellation hotel bookings. Also, I would never plan to see a show in a city I wouldn't want to visit anyway, in case it gets cancelled after I'm there. Either way, awesome vacation.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,970
    The travel is the juice, Pearl Jam is a nice bonus.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,580
    It crossed my mind, but we had 2024 vacation plans for the destination shows I put in for regardless, so in the unfortunate (and hopefully unlikely) even that they have to cancel either of those shows, my trip won't be a waste as a result. 
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,991
    Spags said:
    The travel is the juice, Pearl Jam is a nice bonus.
    not to many of us , myself included
  • Options
    Is anyone bringing their trail running shoes just in case?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    LizJLizJ Posts: 338
    Yes, as I had planned to see them at all the 3 cancelled gigs in Europe in 2022. And read about other cancellations. 
    Now I only try to book hotels with free cancellation until the day of arrival (which were nearly nonexistent on Booking for this year!). Aside that, another part of the planing process is now, trying to decide beforehand, if I would want to see a certain city anyways, even if the gig was canceled. 

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,562
    LizJ said:
    Yes, as I had planned to see them at all the 3 cancelled gigs in Europe in 2022. And read about other cancellations. 
    Now I only try to book hotels with free cancellation until the day of arrival (which were nearly nonexistent on Booking for this year!). Aside that, another part of the planing process is now, trying to decide beforehand, if I would want to see a certain city anyways, even if the gig was canceled. 

I haven't seen hotels that allow cancellation until the date of arrival. The best I have seen is the day before, however that wasn't any help last year in Indy.
  • Options
    Yup, never travel without a back up plan. As much as the show lover in me would like to do everything, what works in a worst case scenario always trumps it.
  • Options
    Crocs. For the Great Barrier Reef
  • Options
    They canceled the Indy show about 5 hours before doors. Fortunately, we had flown out the day before and went to see Interpol / Smashing Pumpkins at Ruoff that night, so it wasn't a total loss. It was a huge disappointment, but these days, with illnesses always a possibility, it's a risk that you take when traveling. Held on to our tickets and will fly out the day before and hope for the best this August.

2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy

• Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,190
    I think about it but not much I can do about it.
  • Options
    njhaley1njhaley1 Valley of the Sun Posts: 278
    My hope is that they learn to adapt without one of the members - someone multi-talented like Josh who can fill in for just about anyone except for Eddie if he had to. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    PJ_Soul said:
    If I travel for a show, I arrange it assuming the show will be cancelled. i.e. flight cancellation insurance and no pre-paid/no cancellation hotel bookings. Also, I would never plan to see a show in a city I wouldn't want to visit anyway, in case it gets cancelled after I'm there. Either way, awesome vacation.
    There aren't many cities I wouldn't enjoy visiting at least once.
    The problem is planning a short trip over a short weekend. Its going to cost us $1000 easily to go to chicago for a weekend with travel and hotels.  While I do enjoy Chicago, I wouldn't plan a $1000 weekend vacation there. 
    If I'm going to spend $1000 just on traveling without a show, I'll pick somewhere less expensive and extend our stay somewhere, get a 5 day trip instead of just a 2 day trip out of it, or somewhere I haven't been before.
    But those usually aren't option if I plan it around a PJ show. Many of the shows are repeat cities, and I'm restricted by the dates on which I can chose as well. 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,562
    njhaley1 said:
    My hope is that they learn to adapt without one of the members - someone multi-talented like Josh who can fill in for just about anyone except for Eddie if he had to. 
    Have Black Circle from Brazil open for them. Have a member of PJ get sick? Plug one of those guys in, they seem to have their songs down pretty well. I am kidding, sort of.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,984
    It goes both ways, too. My original plan last year had been St. Paul 2 and then both Chicago shows. Chicago fell through and that turned out lucky because I came home from Minnesota with COVID. Never would have made it through the doors of the United Center, either night.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,099
    If I am traveling far to see them I try to plan a trip around it. When I went to Prague in 2022 I planned to travel around the Czech Republic for 10 days - so Pearl Jam was just going to be one day of that vacation. I was bummed about the cancellation but had a great time touring around Prague and some other cities in the area.
  • Options
    ^ Yeah, I was sad for you for that lost joyous event, GG. 
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,532
    I find it on the run in a race that can't be won
    All hail the lucky ones
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,356
    edited February 16
    No, but I'm kind of happy Vancouver is the start of the tour :)  Hopefully if the rails go off the tour it's after those shows :)

The part I am concerned about is the Canucks are having a decent year.  Historically, most of the time, they'd choke in the playoffs, but I think they only have to get the 2nd round to start conflicting with the Pearl Jam dates.   Given I have to book time off work, hotels etc.. I hope the dates don't get moved.

Fingers cross the 'nucks bow out early :)
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,262
    Zod said:
    No, but I'm kind of happy Vancouver is the start of the tour :)  Hopefully if the rails go off the tour it's after those shows :)

The part I am concerned about is the Canucks are having a decent year.  Historically, most of the time, they'd choke in the playoffs, but I think they only have to get the 2nd round to start conflicting with the Pearl Jam dates.   Given I have to book time off work, hotels etc.. I hope the dates don't get moved.

Fingers cross the 'nucks bow out early :)
    ?????  Take that back! Think positive, the nucks are winning in the playoffs and they play the 5th and 7th!, 
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,147
    Definitely. After the money I spent on shows last tour and Indy being cancelled the day of it is a concern. Especially with the prices of everything. 
  • Options
    Why was Indy cancelled?