Ohana Fest returns September 27th - 29th 2024

Comments

• njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 599
    edited September 5
    Hey All, thanks for the great tips so far in planning for Ohana. It's greatly appreciated.  I had a couple more questions come to mind.

It looks like my hotel is just under 3 miles to the shuttle station. I wasn't planning on renting a car so I can either walk an hour or take an Uber to the shuttle pickup.  If I choose the latter, should I just Uber directly to the venue instead of taking a shuttle?

Also, I noticed the availability of lockers to rent.  Since I'm doing site-seeing on Saturday, I'm wondering if I need to drop my stuff at the hotel before continuing onto the festival or if I should just get one of these lockers.  I might have stuff on the festival's 'do not bring' list.  Are the lockers located on the inside of the grounds?

Thanks again!

At this point I'd just Uber in.  Tickets for buss passes are going to run out sooner or later.  

The lockers are just inside the entrance. 
    Post edited by njhaley1 on
  • wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,362
    Cancels Ohana but announces The Cap a week before?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,946
    wwsuicide said:
    One of the Crazy Horses must be ill and not Neil. 
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,618
    Hey All, thanks for the great tips so far in planning for Ohana. It's greatly appreciated.  I had a couple more questions come to mind.

It looks like my hotel is just under 3 miles to the shuttle station. I wasn't planning on renting a car so I can either walk an hour or take an Uber to the shuttle pickup.  If I choose the latter, should I just Uber directly to the venue instead of taking a shuttle?

Also, I noticed the availability of lockers to rent.  Since I'm doing site-seeing on Saturday, I'm wondering if I need to drop my stuff at the hotel before continuing onto the festival or if I should just get one of these lockers.  I might have stuff on the festival's 'do not bring' list.  Are the lockers located on the inside of the grounds?

Thanks again!

Lockers are INSIDE the festival and if you want one should book ahead.  I get one for one of the days so the merch I buy can go in there. I bring very little in with me except refillable water bottle and a small foldable towel to sit on. 
  • wwsuicide said:
    Bummer he couldn't have just readjusted the lineup instead of completely canceling so far out.
  • njhaley1 said:

At this point I'd just Uber in.  Tickets for buss passes are going to run out sooner or later.  

The lockers are just outside the entrance. 
    Lockers are INSIDE the festival and if you want one should book ahead.  I get one for one of the days so the merch I buy can go in there. I bring very little in with me except refillable water bottle and a small foldable towel to sit on. 

Good stuff. Thanks!
  • wwsuicide said:
    This is fucking bullshit. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Should I eat the cost of ohana (night 1 and 2) and the flight and skip going. Or still go and lose even more money..... don't know what to do
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    Should I eat the cost of ohana (night 1 and 2) and the flight and skip going. Or still go and lose even more money..... don't know what to do
    How badly do you want to see the shows, and to visit Southern California, which you've expressed excitement about before? The money you've already spent is a sunk cost. Don't throw good money after bad if you no longer want to go to the shows.

Shouldn't you at least get the money you spent on your flight back as a credit to be used on future flights? Unlike the cost of the Ohana tickets, your airfare is not totally sunk. (And you could try to sell your wristbands for the shows, too, although that might be logistically difficult since we don't have them yet and you'd be shipping them internationally.)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    wwsuicide said:
    He cancelled Ohana quite some time ago. I'm sure this show wasn't in the works at that point. 

Ohana had to fill the spot.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,138
    wwsuicide said:
    Bummer he couldn't have just readjusted the lineup instead of completely canceling so far out.
    Exactly. I can't imagine PJ wouldnt have been able to play in with him, especially since it was their night off.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024 
  • BF25394 said:
    Should I eat the cost of ohana (night 1 and 2) and the flight and skip going. Or still go and lose even more money..... don't know what to do
    How badly do you want to see the shows, and to visit Southern California, which you've expressed excitement about before? The money you've already spent is a sunk cost. Don't throw good money after bad if you no longer want to go to the shows.

Shouldn't you at least get the money you spent on your flight back as a credit to be used on future flights? Unlike the cost of the Ohana tickets, your airfare is not totally sunk. (And you could try to sell your wristbands for the shows, too, although that might be logistically difficult since we don't have them yet and you'd be shipping them internationally.)
    Don't think I can get money back or credits for the flights... don't you have to buy extra insurance to get that. 

Might see if I can get ahold of them tomorrow and see. It's British Airways so could use credit if possible next summer for Oasis.

Wristbands seems risky as hell by the way. They told me they could send them out as late as 2 weeks before the festival...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,076
    edited September 5
    wwsuicide said:
    He cancelled Ohana quite some time ago. I'm sure this show wasn't in the works at that point. 

Ohana had to fill the spot.
    I had tickets to Ohana and Hollywood Bowl. If he had played that coast now, it might have been able to still catch him. Instead of playing the opposite coast at close to the exact dates he had concerts booked in California.

But doesn't matter. ofc. ich bin fucked
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • It looks so barren when I tried to google. Is anything else cool playing in Los Angeles end of September, Early October? No Paul McCartney or Taylor Swift or Nine Inch Nails or anything?

My Morning Jacket plays the south. Kings of Leon the east I think
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,763
    I would guess it was a business decision rather than a musician decision. If that makes any sense. If a member is unable to play, I would guess they cannot go out as "crazy horse." Now about those $300 tickets for the Cap. 
  • wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,362
    wwsuicide said:
    Agreed!
  • njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 599
    Get_Right said:
    I would guess it was a business decision rather than a musician decision. If that makes any sense. If a member is unable to play, I would guess they cannot go out as "crazy horse." Now about those $300 tickets for the Cap. 
    My impression is that Neil had some sort of arrangement with his band about Covid, and maybe his feelings on public health as well - which is why they were playing all outdoor venues as Neil did last summer.  One or multiple members got Covid partway through the tour and Neil took that into consideration and called it quits - for the health of his bandmates over anything, and it may have been tenuous enough getting them all together as some weren't all in to begin with.  
    njhaley1 said:
    Get_Right said:
    My impression is that Neil had some sort of arrangement with his band about Covid, and maybe his feelings on public health as well - which is why they were playing all outdoor venues as Neil did last summer.  One or multiple members got Covid partway through the tour and Neil took that into consideration and called it quits - for the health of his bandmates over anything, and it may have been tenuous enough getting them all together as some weren't all in to begin with.  

Agree. And that is why I do not hold it against him for cancelling. This is not a young group. I do not think him scheduling some shows without the whole band are a big deal. But those prices, that is why I do not go see Neil. Same with David Gilmour. I would love to see you play, but not at $300.
  • Get_Right said:
    njhaley1 said:
    Get_Right said:

Agree. And that is why I do not hold it against him for cancelling. This is not a young group. I do not think him scheduling some shows without the whole band are a big deal. But those prices, that is why I do not go see Neil. Same with David Gilmour. I would love to see you play, but not at $300.
    Could at least have played a show in California those dates. And yeah, I know he has already done a stint of smaller shows on the west coast and it might also be contractually impossible after cancelling Hollywood bowl. But still.
    Get_Right said:
    njhaley1 said:
    Get_Right said:

Could at least have played a show in California those dates. And yeah, I know he has already done a stint of smaller shows on the west coast and it might also be contractually impossible after cancelling Hollywood bowl. But still.

He might not be allowed to do that. Festivals have many caveats. You are not wrong. I say go to Ohana. I wish I was going. 
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    njhaley1 said:
    Get_Right said:

He might not be allowed to do that. Festivals have many caveats. You are not wrong. I say go to Ohana. I wish I was going. 
    yeah I'm bummed that Neil won't be there but PJ is the draw...that's why we bought tickets. Otherwise you would have just purchased Saturday tickets

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    BF25394 said:

Don't think I can get money back or credits for the flights... don't you have to buy extra insurance to get that. 

Might see if I can get ahold of them tomorrow and see. It's British Airways so could use credit if possible next summer for Oasis.

Wristbands seems risky as hell by the way. They told me they could send them out as late as 2 weeks before the festival...
    Generally, if you cancel a plane ticket, you are credited back the amount you paid. You don't get a "refund"-- i.e., they don't put the money back on your credit card-- but you do get the full dollar amount credited back to your account with the airline, and you can use the credit to purchase a flight or flights with that airline in the future (sometimes this is restricted, typically to within a year of the original purchase date). The caveat is that you may have to pay change or cancellation fees (although some airlines, like Southwest here in the U.S., do not have such fees).

I have canceled many flights over the years and have always received credit for the full amount that I paid. I have never purchased travel insurance.

I should note that I've only ever flown within the U.S., so it's possible that EU regulations and practices are different, but that would surprise me since the EU tends to be more consumer-friendly than the U.S.
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 646
    Unfortunately, EU is different.
    Unfortunately, EU is different.
    That sucks. Now where am I going to move if Trump wins?
  • BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:

Generally, if you cancel a plane ticket, you are credited back the amount you paid. You don't get a "refund"-- i.e., they don't put the money back on your credit card-- but you do get the full dollar amount credited back to your account with the airline, and you can use the credit to purchase a flight or flights with that airline in the future (sometimes this is restricted, typically to within a year of the original purchase date). The caveat is that you may have to pay change or cancellation fees (although some airlines, like Southwest here in the U.S., do not have such fees).

I have canceled many flights over the years and have always received credit for the full amount that I paid. I have never purchased travel insurance.

I should note that I've only ever flown within the U.S., so it's possible that EU regulations and practices are different, but that would surprise me since the EU tends to be more consumer-friendly than the U.S.
    No credits. i would get $90-100 back of the ticket
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Manu117Manu117 Posts: 109
    why do they wait so long to ship these? 
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,017
    I’m not gonna lie, I’m a bit worried my wristband isn’t gonna arrive before I leave for LA.
    Nature drunk and High
    Spags said:
    I’m not gonna lie, I’m a bit worried my wristband isn’t gonna arrive before I leave for LA.
    just get there early enough to hit will call...they will take care of you

• apkirklandapkirkland Big Sky Country Posts: 240
    Anyone have experience with the GA bleachers? This will be our 5th or 6th Ohana and we've always crammed up close or stood on the road behind the lawn. Since it's usually just my husband and I, it can be difficult to find each other again when one person stays to hold the spot and the other one goes all the way over to the porta-potties. Wondering if it's worth posting up in the bleachers so we have somewhere to reconvene when one of us takes off for a bit. We usually come in later in the day and listen to the first few bands from the beach so by the time we get in, it's already fairly crowded (not that it's ever too crazy!)

We like to stand and rock out so if the bleachers have people sitting in them during PJ, that definitely won't be our spot. If everyone's on their feet (or won't yell at us for being on ours) we might check it out. Also, I'm short so no matter where we are, I can't usually see unless I bob around a lot so I'm thinking the bleachers might give us a better view of the stage, albeit further away.

Anyway, interested in hearing people's experiences back there!