Great new interview with Dave Abbruzzese (gives Glorifed G context)

Five days old. Didn't see a thread(?). Maybe I missed it. Dave Abbruzzese is a former drummer of the band.

"Immortality," the song off Vitalogy, is one that when I hear it, I'm really proud of what I pulled off because of all the subtleties in the track. To me, a good drum part is like a good movie soundtrack. I didn't want to do things that stood out and sounded flashy or unnecessary. In that song, there are so many intricate parts within each phrase and I'm really proud that they don't leap out – they sit right where they're supposed to, supporting the song.

https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/dave-abbruzzese-ex-pearl-jam
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,168
    Thanks!
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,154
    Great read! I love these insightful interviews. Thanks for posting! 🥁 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,589
    Nice read. Thanks for posting!
    Would be great to see him play with PJ again. 
    I will swallow poison
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,867
    I see Dave is still pissing and moaning and talking some shit. Wonder why the guy wasn’t invited to the HOF ceremony.  
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I see Dave is still pissing and moaning and talking some shit. Wonder why the guy wasn’t invited to the HOF ceremony.  
    Not really.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,900
    Whether in the article or through his interactions with fans on the Facebook he’s quite introspective and seems to be the most at peace.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    Oh look, here you are
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,495
    Agreed he doesn't seem to have a problem.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    He sounds like a guy who got broken up in high school and 25 years later is still crying about it. He comes across as pathetic imo. Little jabs are sad. He is who he is though. 
    Oh look, here you are
    You have a real issue with people who have different opinions. The article speaks for itself. You posted it. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    Dave’s interviews are probably the closest we’ll ever get to hearing anything remotely interesting about how the band operates. We aren’t entitled though. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    he gives the band, and each individual members, not to mention the drummers that came after him, all props and respect, tells a bit about the inner drama that can happen in a band, but hey, he's "pathetic". BWAHAHAHAHA. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    thanks for posting, Swede. great read. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,495
    I like hearing from Dave and whatever he says I'm interested 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,946
    edited January 14
    He sounds like a guy who got broken up in high school and 25 years later is still crying about it. He comes across as pathetic imo. Little jabs are sad. He is who he is though. 
    Yep. After reading his FB posts, it’s no mystery   while reading them as to why he got kicked out. He’s unable to see it though. 
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,867
    Oh look, here you are
    You have a real issue with people who have different opinions. The article speaks for itself. You posted it. 
    I think it's more irrationality that he and others are taking issue with. What's a quote that's coming across as pissing and moaning?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,900
    Oh look, here you are
    I think it's more irrationality that he and others are taking issue with. What's a quote that's coming across as pissing and moaning?
    💯 

More to the point, and despite this specific evidence from Dave to the contrary, he/she in fact is coming across as pissing and moaning. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    It’s pretty telling when he hasn’t heard from the other original band members since 1995. You don’t see any of the other guys in the group making jabs at him in articles or non authorized books. All your proof is right there. It’s pretty clear. 
    It’s pretty telling when he hasn’t heard from the other original band members since 1995. You don’t see any of the other guys in the group making jabs at him in articles or non authorized books. All your proof is right there. It’s pretty clear. 
    More editorializing. What from the article is an quoted example of Dave either pissing, moaning, or talking shit?
    edited January 14
    More editorializing. What from the article is a quoted example of Dave either pissing, moaning, or talking shit?
    I’m not trolling you or trying to sound sarcastic but you read it? Read the article, I mean it’s pretty clear with all the jabs . Just read it, I don’t feel like copying and pasting the quotes because it’s pretty clear but I will if you need me to. Again not trying to give u a hard time but cmon, just read it. 
    Post edited by THEBIBLEISTEN on
    More editorializing. What from the article is a quoted example of Dave either pissing, moaning, or talking shit?
    I’m not trolling you or trying to sound sarcastic but you read it? Read the article, I mean it’s pretty clear with all the jabs . Just read it, I don’t feel like copying and pasting the quotes because it’s pretty clear but I will if you need me to. Again not trying to give u a hard time but cmon, just read it. 
    I read it, will gladly take a copy and paste.
    I read it, will gladly take a copy and paste.
    Ok, will do later. Loving proving people wrong, will be easy to do. Appreciate the opportunity. 
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 651
    I was surprised how reasonable he came off in the interview. He called Eddie and Jeff passive-aggressive, and Kelly Curtis a drama queen. Meh, that’s his opinion based on his experience. Thinking about that time period for the band, there was a lot going on that probably didn’t bring out the best in them. Good news is they seemed to overcome it, and Dave sounded thankful for the experience and the fans. 
    100 Pacer said:
    Oh look, here you are
    💯 

More to the point, and despite this specific evidence from Dave to the contrary, he/she in fact is coming across as pissing and moaning. 
    Paraphrasing Jung; the imperfections we loathe in others tend to be the ones we see in ourselves.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Fun to read some history - had always thought it wasn’t as simple as Dave is some kind of gun toting hillbilly. You’ve got 5 humans involved, so it’s bound to be complicated. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,946
    Dave Abbruzzese is a big Dave A fan. 
    edited January 15
    I agree with Go Beavers 

Post edited by THEBIBLEISTEN on
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    Thoroughly enjoyable read, thanks for posting 
  • bb4packersbb4packers Posts: 190
    Thanks for posting - really interesting read
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,038

Good read.... I liked the bit about how he would watch Stone's movements when trying to figure out a groove.