"It's a lot heavier than you'd expect" Mike on Pearl Jam's next album

demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,169
edited January 5 in The Porch

By Henry Yates

Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready talks smashed Stratocasters, screaming solos, and why his band need their "asses kicked"

How many guitars do you reckon you’ve you smashed on stage during your career? 

Over my lifetime, maybe fifty. This year I haven’t smashed any – but the year’s not over yet. Never say never. What’s the best thing you’ve heard in rock’n’roll this year? I’ve been listening to Deep Sea Diver [pop-rock band based in Seattle] a lot this year. I’m excited about the new Thunderpussy record they’re putting out. But I’m mainly stuck in historical stuff. Like, I’ll say: “Okay, I’m only going to listen to The Beatles until I’ve figured it out.” I always listen to English bands, because everything from England is the best, in my mind.

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,495
    I'm from England so Mike thinks I'm the best. So there!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • He had me at "heavier than you'd expect"
    Please, please!!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    I'm from England so Mike thinks I'm the best. So there!
     =) 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,974
    I like that he never smashed a guitar
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Posts: 2,002
    I am excited. This Andrew guy sounds like he is bringing some great energy to the band. Let's see how that translates!
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,169

What does the new material sound like? 

It’s a lot heavier than you’d expect. There’s the melody and energy of the first couple of records. Andrew pushed us to play as hard and melodic and thoughtful as we’ve done in a long time. I feel like Matt Cameron’s drumming has elements of what he did in Soundgarden. 

For better or worse, you’re gonna hear a lot more lead guitar from me, stuff I haven’t done in a long time. I went crazy, like with Chris Cornell and Temple Of The Dog on Reach Down [1991], all those years ago. I got to do it again. Usually the first or second takes are best. After that I start thinking about it and it doesn’t have the feel. But Andrew caught the lightning in a bottle, as they say.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Awesome.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I'm totally excited now
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,148
    He's saying all the right things 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    For me Avocado was the record they went back to the early days after more experimental albums… I love Avocados energy, especially 1st 5 songs

hoping the 1st half is balls to the wall, lil mid tempo towards end….. Gigaton, even though I like the last few tracks, it fizzles a lil
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    CROJAM95 said:
    For me Avocado was the record they went back to the early days after more experimental albums… I love Avocados energy, especially 1st 5 songs

hoping the 1st half is balls to the wall, lil mid tempo towards end….. Gigaton, even though I like the last few tracks, it fizzles a lil
    Lightning Bolt fizzles out at the end too
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    CROJAM95 said:

avacado is my easily my favourite post Yield album.  It's so good :)
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    I love the sounds of more Mike leads and Matt hitting it hard like in soundgarden!!  Always fealt he's held back in pj compared to how he played in soundgarden!  Let it rip man!!  Excited for this!  Sounds like Watt came from a fans perspective and he knew exactly what he wanted them to do to get their best out of them! 
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,747
    Agreed on LB and Gigaton fizzling out on the back end. Would really like a complete album, no fizzle...oh, that should be the album name!
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • spankyMP said:
    Agreed on LB and Gigaton fizzling out on the back end. Would really like a complete album, no fizzle...oh, that should be the album name!
    fo shizzle
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,433
    edited January 6
    On the way to Cirque du Soleil in Penticton earlier, an Okanagan radio station gave an A. Watt who did Stones, lowdown

And quoted this: 
    It’s a lot heavier than you’d expect. There’s the melody and energy of the first couple of records. Andrew pushed us to play as hard and melodic and thoughtful as we’ve done in a long time. I feel like Matt Cameron’s drumming has elements of what he did in Soundgarden

when promoting upcoming Pj album!!! I cut my date off mid sentence to crank the radio hehe.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,589
    edited January 6
    Some insights on Mike in Pearl Jam and his playing here. Very interesting video. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdEFuWoRJfo
    Post edited by Niko80 on
    I will swallow poison
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,154
    Let’s hope that doesn’t mean fast ‘punk’ songs. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    200g instead of 180
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    Didn't he already say this in another interview?
    I miss igotid88
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,433
    ^ya
    I’ve heard Ed mention it too. During one of the last shows on the most recent tour. On a boot I think!?
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    Just release it already ffs 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Thanks for the share OP! Exciting!! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Just release it already ffs 

• dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 387
    I’ve heard Ed mention it too. During one of the last shows on the most recent tour. On a boot I think!?
    He didn't address the tempo of the tracks, but he spoke highly of the quality of the album calling it a "really great collection" or something.  and then a line about "the musicians in this band at the very top of their game" (paraphrasing). 
    dwjmu84 said:
    He didn't address the tempo of the tracks, but he spoke highly of the quality of the album calling it a "really great collection" or something.  and then a line about "the musicians in this band at the very top of their game" (paraphrasing). 
    I thought he specifically said something to the effect of ‘it’s some of the heaviest stuff we’ve ever done’. But I may stand corrected. I remember thinking that’s what Mike said too. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,834
    dwjmu84 said:
    I thought he specifically said something to the effect of ‘it’s some of the heaviest stuff we’ve ever done’. But I may stand corrected. I remember thinking that’s what Mike said too. 
    It was Austin N2.  He mentioned if you like the members of this band then you will love the new record.  He didn’t say anything about the tempo.  
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    D-Rod said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    It was Austin N2.  He mentioned if you like the members of this band then you will love the new record.  He didn’t say anything about the tempo.  
    I remember him saying that and hoping they were about to  play a song off of the upcoming album.