Comments

• Options
    CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    Thanks for sharing this.  I actual popped in here to see if anyone posted about Geordie Walker from Killing Joke passing.  Two greats that I always turn up.
  • Options
    CJ260717 said:
    Thanks for sharing this.  I actual popped in here to see if anyone posted about Geordie Walker from Killing Joke passing.  Two greats that I always turn up.
    Agreed... I need to listen to more KJ, I only know one album, but I know they were awesome. 
  • Options
    CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    I'm not trying to poach your thread - Shane passing has not sunk in for me yet.  I've been listening to a lot of KJ the last two days.  I recommend listening to their song "Eighties" and then listen to Nirvana's "Come As You Are".  You will quickly notice how similar the guitar work is.
  • Options
    CJ260717 said:
    I'm not trying to poach your thread - Shane passing has not sunk in for me yet.  I've been listening to a lot of KJ the last two days.  I recommend listening to their song "Eighties" and then listen to Nirvana's "Come As You Are".  You will quickly notice how similar the guitar work is.
    I'm well familiar w/ that situation, and the lawsuit back in the day. 

Saw KJ open for Tool a few years ago... I was pretty psyched to hear Seeing Red live.  
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Somehow, I had been under the impression that Shane was doing better, but no, now he is gone.  Very sad.  Another great one gone, died what we think of as too soon, but lived life to the fullest.
    R.I.P. Shane MacGowan.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Damn, this hits hard.

I was lucky enough to see the Pogues around a dozen times......they were an explosive live band!
  • Options
    Dirty Old Town & Fairy Tale of New York always make me tear up... between the passion behind them and the memories they invoke... just tragically beautiful songs. 

It's been some time since I spun a Pogues album but they were a pretty huge part of my youth. MacGowan's passing doesn't come as a surprise (except for the fact he made it to 2023 / 65yo w/ the way he lived) but hits hard all the same. 
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,901
    Big regret that I never got off my rear and saw them live. There will never be a better Xmas song than "Fairytale of New York". When I think of his lyrics I think of sadness, joy, and resilience. He will be missed.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    I wish I could have seen them with Joe Strummers
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    RIP
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,928
    edited December 2023
    RIP. I never saw the Pogues. But I wish had. 
  • Options

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    RIP. I never saw the Pogues. But I wish had. 
    They were amazing live....imagine punk music played very fast with several acoustic instruments.
  • Options
    I saw that tour in 1991.....was great to see Joe fronting the band.  They did 2 Clash songs....London Calling & Straight To Hell
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    edited December 2023
    Saw them twice, 1st time in '94 after MacGowan had left the band...and then again in 2011 w/ MacGowan and they killed it. 
    As fate would have it, that was the last time they played Boston. 

& yeah… MacGowan was plastered of course and fell on his ass during the performance.  :D

Edit: apologies, those pictures are shit... MacGowan wasn't the only one who was hammered. 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    I saw that tour in 1991.....was great to see Joe fronting the band.  They did 2 Clash songs....London Calling & Straight To Hell
    Lucky you! Love how strummers fits in so well with their music! Damn I miss Joe 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Glen never disappoints. When they all start dancing made me cry.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    Fantastic send off.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Amazing. Thank you for sharing. 
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,247
    Glen and Lisa were magnificent doing this, truly can't think of anyone else who could have given it more. 

Nick Cave's performance of Rainy Night In Soho too... just beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHLqEdsrVk8
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits