Eddie Vedder quotes Bruce Springsteen

Hey all, I remember hearing Eddie recite this story, but can't remember where. Was it at a concert I was at, or in some documentary? I know someone here can fill in the blank for me and say where he told the story. Was it in Philly at the Ten concert?

"I had a long talk with Bruce Springsteen on a rooftop during the Vote for Change tour (in 2004). And it boiled down to this: That guy you used to be, he’s still in the car. He’ll always be in the car. Just don’t let him drive. He might be shouting out directions. But whatever you do, don’t let him get behind the wheel."

Part of this quote appears in David James Duncan's new book, The Sun King, as a chapter intro, but he only credits Eddie Vedder and not Eddie quoting Bruce. Been bugging me all week. Who can help??

Comments

• Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,273
    I remember this too and I’m thinking it was a Rolling Stone article?
  • KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,537
    edited November 2023
    Vedder in 2011 on relating to his angry, disenchanted songs from the Pearl Jam albums of the early ‘90s: “I had a long talk with Bruce Springsteen on a rooftop during the Vote for Change tour (in 2004). And it boiled down to this: That guy you used to be, he's still in the car. He'll always be in the car. Just don't let him drive. He might be shouting out directions. But whatever you do, don't let him get behind the wheel.”

Still not sure of the source but according to another forum post, it is from 2011. PJ20?
    Post edited by Kwieneke on
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
    Seattle 5.30.2024  Noblesville 8.26.2024  Chicago 8.29.2024  Chicago 8.31.2024 
  • vercemanverceman Posts: 681
    Kwieneke said:
    Vedder in 2011 on relating to his angry, disenchanted songs from the Pearl Jam albums of the early ‘90s: “I had a long talk with Bruce Springsteen on a rooftop during the Vote for Change tour (in 2004). And it boiled down to this: That guy you used to be, he's still in the car. He'll always be in the car. Just don't let him drive. He might be shouting out directions. But whatever you do, don't let him get behind the wheel.”

Still not sure of the source but according to another forum post, it is from 2011. PJ20?
    That could be... I was at that show and that could be. Or do you  mean the movie?
    Coulda swore I heard it and not read it, but memories are unreliable...
  • SeaSea Posts: 3,007
    edited November 2023
    I believe it's from the Chicago Tribune, May 2011, interview w/Greg Kot
    Sea said:
    Could that have been recorded and played on Sound Opinions? That could be why I think I heard it and not read it.
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,273
    verceman said:
    Coulda swore I heard it and not read it, but memories are unreliable...
    I read it. I know that for sure. 
    Sea said:
    Great read, all these years later:

https://www.mrt.com/opinion/editorials/article/Q-A-Eddie-Vedder-takes-a-ukulele-holiday-from-7440151.php
  • I think it's in an interview on you tube I've seen where they interviewed  eachother.Not sure
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -