Options

What did your parents do that verged on "hey, maybe consider contacting child services on this bozo"

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073
edited October 2023 in All Encompassing Trip
Obviously not meant to be a thread of real misery. Shown by me using John Connors expression "bozo" from Terminator 2.

When my dad was in charge of driving me and my friends to soccer practice, you could hear his car come before you saw that bright red SAAB 900 by the loud sound of Frank Zappa blasting from the vehicle. And, with me and my friends cramped into that SAAB going to or from practice "Bobby Brown Goes Down" was not in any way avoided from being involved in the Zappa-blasting.

Not lyrics suitable for 10 year old soccer playing kids, some would say. A "that is a verging on not being okey parentship"- moment.

What about from your childhood?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,581
    Home is where every scar is. 
  • Options
    This subject is part of the ongoing Indigenous genocide in my country. Just being First Nations involves systemic racism which becomes reason enough.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,838
    Ohh^^^interesting, tough and reminds me how blessed I was to have two loving parents to care for me. Not that foster parents can't provide that too.  Just sounds like more than any child should have to take on.

• Options
    I love frank Zappa but will not play certain songs for my family.  I'm pretty sure his songs are meant to be outlandish/over the top jokes, but a kid wouldn't get it!

• Options
    My brother took a belt once or twice. That was hard to hear. I flew under the radar and was left alone. 
  • Options
    ^Awww LJ 😞

E, I think the tables are turned here. The music my kiddo plays, jeeze! It sounds like you have a fun dad and glad you have a silly memory.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,587
    edited October 2023
    I mean, LOTS of things really, but not at the time. At the time, everything was still normal. A 7-year-old latch key kid wasn't weird back in the day, lol. Letting your kid sit on your lap and steer the car for fun wasn't really frowned upon yet, and leaving your little kids in the car while you went shopping was completely common place.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DissidentRival74DissidentRival74 Six One Five Posts: 150
    edited October 2023
    I distinctly remember standing on the passenger seat of my moms car while she was driving me to pre-school.  I would lock my knees and push my head against the ceiling of the car.  In fact, I don't ever remember wearing a seat belt as a kid.  Once they made it a law, I remember having to wear one, but up until that point, I was free to roam the car as I pleased, LOL...

I also remember in first grade (maybe?) we were leaving the parking lot of my school and I still had my back pack on and was leaning against the passenger door.  Somehow, a strap on my back pack got tangled with the door handle and when my mom took a curve in the parking lot, the door opened and I almost fell out of the moving car.  We weren't going too fast as we were in the parking lot, but I remember that brief moment of panic I had and the "OH SHIT" look on my moms face.....
    "I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,489
    PJ_Soul said:
    I mean, LOTS of things really, but not at the time. At the time, everything was still normal. A 7-year-old latch key kid wasn't weird back in the day, lol. Letting your kid sit on your lap and steer the car for fun wasn't really frowned upon yet, and leaving your little kids in the car while you went shopping was completely common place.
    If my mom was dumb enough to drag me out of the house for her errands during the Flyers-Canadiens Wales Conference Finals I was definitely gonna stay in the car and listen to it on the radio. Go ahead and unpack.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,059
    edited October 2023
    lol ok we are talking about bad parenting...

My father would let me climb the ladder and walk on the roofs he worked on when I was 7.  If they weren't that big at 5.
    Driving on his lap
    No seat belts.
    Laying on the back window area.
    Having a sip of beer
    Going to a bar
    Drinking and driving
    letting me light fireworks
    Smoking w windows rolled up
    Snowball fight w adults
    skitching on adults cars(look that one up kids)
    Roaming the streets at night
    Unsupervised for most of the day
    Bonfires on the beach, believe it or not u can not do this anymore.
    Letting me go to store to purchase cigarettes
    Crossing subway tracks at the station
    Hit w a belt

I'll think of some more...

oh yeah, lawn darts!

• Options
    ^ Now we need to thread that says: What poor parenting, verging on the edge of bozoness, did your parents do that you ended up doing, too?
  • Options
    ^SC - you'll need to catch a girl and give up Condoms To Join This Thread!
  • Options
    Spunkie said:
    ^ Now we need to thread that says: What poor parenting, verging on the edge of bozoness, did your parents do that you ended up doing, too?
    lol none of the above.
  • Options
    lol ok we are talking about bad parenting...

My father would let me climb the ladder and walk on the roofs he worked on when I was 7.  If they weren't that big at 5.
    Driving on his lap
    No seat belts.
    Laying on the back window area.
    Having a sip of beer
    Going to a bar
    Drinking and driving
    letting me light fireworks
    Smoking w windows rolled up
    Snowball fight w adults
    skitching on adults cars(look that one up kids)
    Roaming the streets at night
    Unsupervised for most of the day
    Bonfires on the beach, believe it or not u can not do this anymore.
    Letting me go to store to purchase cigarettes
    Crossing subway tracks at the station
    Hit w a belt

I'll think of some more...

oh yeah, lawn darts!

Similar but an English version 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -