Options

October Ten Club Newsletter

Dear Ed, Mike, Jeff, Stone, and Matt,
I just got the October Ten Club newsletter; I always look forward to reading them, but I think this one will be my last.  I don't think you are the band you claim to be. 

I get it. I understand.  The Israel/Palestine conflict is complex and incendiary.  Facts can be spun and any statement one way or the other is a sure no win.  What happened this weekend, though, was an attack by a terrorist group on innocent people.  260 kiled attending a peace concert.  A concert for peace.  Tricked and trapped into a traffic jam and then shot at point blank range. Women brutally raped next to their friends' dead bodies, then they themselves killed.  Young people shot in the back as they were running for their lives.  Hundreds kidnapped from their homes. Children burned alive, babies decapitated.  The deadliest day for Jews since the Holocaust. Can you imagine? Have you seen? 

Yet, no mention whatsoever in the Ten Club newsletter. Not. One. Word. We support your causes, and there are many. I thought you were the guys that called out injustice. Advocated for mental health, indigenous rights, suicide prevention, an EB cure, Maui fires.  Yet, here, a terrorist attack, a massacare of Jews, of Israelis, of the innocent, you remain silent. Why?

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    25th anniversary of Lightning Bolt.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,162
    lohad said:
    Dear Ed, Mike, Jeff, Stone, and Matt,
    I just got the October Ten Club newsletter; I always look forward to reading them, but I think this one will be my last.  I don't think you are the band you claim to be. 

I get it. I understand.  The Israel/Palestine conflict is complex and incendiary.  Facts can be spun and any statement one way or the other is a sure no win.  What happened this weekend, though, was an attack by a terrorist group on innocent people.  260 kiled attending a peace concert.  A concert for peace.  Tricked and trapped into a traffic jam and then shot at point blank range. Women brutally raped next to their friends' dead bodies, then they themselves killed.  Young people shot in the back as they were running for their lives.  Hundreds kidnapped from their homes. Children burned alive, babies decapitated.  The deadliest day for Jews since the Holocaust. Can you imagine? Have you seen? 

Yet, no mention whatsoever in the Ten Club newsletter. Not. One. Word. We support your causes, and there are many. I thought you were the guys that called out injustice. Advocated for mental health, indigenous rights, suicide prevention, an EB cure, Maui fires.  Yet, here, a terrorist attack, a massacare of Jews, of Israelis, of the innocent, you remain silent. Why?
    i believe ed spoke out at a concert in london one time when things flared up in israel and got criticized for it. still, it is a shame nothing was mentioned this time.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    The letter was probably written before any of this happened.  And as much as we all respect that Pearl Jam as a band and it's individual members often do speak out about political, social, and environmental issues, that is not their job.  Even Neil Young once said (at a rally to support Native Americans) that his first job is as a musician.  Pearl Jam is a rock band, not a political action committee.
    And perhaps take this into consideration:  Heather Cox-Richardson, who does write about current events almost every day of the week, made an attempt to write an unbiased letter about the events and received the greatest amount of hate mail she has ever had.  People are quick to judge anyway, and especially on these events.  I would give the band a break, or at least give them some time. 
    This is a complex issue that is seen by many as problematic on both sides of the fence.  I would not want to be a public figure and take a stand on this one.  That does not mean that I or Pearl Jam or anyone else supports the Hamas, and of course we all (I hope) share disdain for the murder of innocents. But see, there's the problem, many people believe the blame comes from both sides, and innocent people are being killed in both Israel and Palestine.  That part is just a simple fact.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    It's not for a music band to get involved in all or any political stance. Terrorism is awful we can all agree. It's very upsetting to see war and terror 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635
    I’m a much happier and less stressed person when I don’t demand responses from people in the general public. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    LOL...unbelievable
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    It's not for a music band to get involved in all or any political stance. Terrorism is awful we can all agree. It's very upsetting to see war and terror 
    Remember the London show Rob?
  • Options
    The trump balloon 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I'm not saying don't get involved in something if you are that strongly feeling you must but ALL . Come on how can they say and do the right thing by everyone . It's an impossible situation for a band to be in.  Maybe some of a group may feel different then what.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07