Options

The best album you own that almost no one has heard

This is sort of a companion to my post about the worst album I physically own. Proceeding through the Ms (see OP in "worst album" thread for further explanation if needed)-- today was Mad Season's Above-- tomorrow I will get to the album It's My Last Night by the band Maple, from 1995. I absolutely love this album but I don't think I own anything (other than CDs by friends' bands) more obscure. There is virtually no information about this band on the internet. Even the liner notes don't give the band members' full names. I think they''re from the Midwest somewhere, but I honestly don't know. On Discogs, a total of eight people have this album in their collections.

So, what's the best thing you own that practically no one else has heard? (And, if you know anything about Maple, do tell. Note: this is a different band than U.S. Maple.)
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Comments

• Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 618
    Jellyfish- Spilt Milk
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 618
    Let me also add Ian Moore’s Got The Green Grass. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Superwolf by Bonnie Prince Billy and Matt Sweeney
    Raw Love Songs by Conny Ochs
    Feast of Wire by Calexico
    La Llorona by Lhasa de Sela
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,965
    Peeping Tom - Music Swop Shop (Not the Mike Patton Peeping Tom). Local Aussie band. Heavy grooves, bluesy, ballsy, Fu Manchu meets Kyuss. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    BF25394 said:
    This is sort of a companion to my post about the worst album I physically own. Proceeding through the Ms (see OP in "worst album" thread for further explanation if needed)-- today was Mad Season's Above-- tomorrow I will get to the album It's My Last Night by the band Maple, from 1995. I absolutely love this album but I don't think I own anything (other than CDs by friends' bands) more obscure. There is virtually no information about this band on the internet. Even the liner notes don't give the band members' full names. I think they''re from the Midwest somewhere, but I honestly don't know. On Discogs, a total of eight people have this album in their collections.

So, what's the best thing you own that practically no one else has heard? (And, if you know anything about Maple, do tell. Note: this is a different band than U.S. Maple.)

That Maple album- only eight others have it on Discogs- whoa!  That's a rarity.
    Another cool thread, good job!

I'll go with:

Dimentia 13:  Mirror Mind      199 on Discogs have this
    Mirror Mind  Dimentia 13

Spark 'n Cinder: self titled.  16  have it:
    Spark N Cinder  Spark N Cinder

Pregnant: Regional Music    37 have it.
    Regional Music  Pregnant

Terry Gibbs: A Jazz Band Ball (Second Set)     144 have it  
    A Jazz Band Ball Second Set  Terry Gibbs

I thought this would be more rare but 2,916 have it!  Fifty Foot Hose: Cauldron:
    Cauldron  Fifty Foot Hose

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    The Oh Sees Face Stabber.  What a great fucking album!

Marcy Playgrounds debut.  I love this album.  St Joe at the School bus should get more play.  I mean Poppies, Cloak of elvinkind, Dog and his Master, Vampires of NY are to me, all great songs...
  • Options
    Peeping Tom - Music Swop Shop (Not the Mike Patton Peeping Tom). Local Aussie band. Heavy grooves, bluesy, ballsy, Fu Manchu meets Kyuss. 
    THIS sounds friggin awesome.
  • Options

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Riot Act?  Never heard of it.  :lol:          
    Yeah, one of my very favorite PJ albums as well!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I had a two-disc “Jimmy Page collection” that was a collection of songs he was a session guitarist on pre-Yardbirds. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    https://www.discogs.com/master/245908-The-Pack-ad-We-Kill-Computers

discovered this Canadian female duo from the now-defunct iTunes Free Track of the Week. Very White Stripes-y. Their first two records are VERY bluesy, but this one they went a tad heavier, while still retaining that blues sound. I go see them live every chance I get. Me and their other 20 fans in Winnipeg. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659

I get asked about this one a lot, but I don’t think it’s that rare.  I just think not a lot of people know of it.  MFC sounds incredible!
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    https://hbshepherd.bandcamp.com/album/in-deep-owl

Solo album from Ben Shepherd (Soundgarden bassist)....great fucking album
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    that is indeed a great one gern. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    that is indeed a great one gern. 
    I need to get it back out....it's been awhile
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,386
    brianlux said:
    BF25394 said:

Even better-- I'm one of the eight, so it's only seven others. And one of the seven is trying to sell it!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Heartless Bastards - All This Time
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    The Oh Sees Face Stabber.  What a great fucking album!

Marcy Playgrounds debut.  I love this album.  St Joe at the School bus should get more play.  I mean Poppies, Cloak of elvinkind, Dog and his Master, Vampires of NY are to me, all great songs...
    So I used to do a weekly list of my 20 favorite (current songs). "Saint Joe on the School Bus" peaked at No. 2 for two weeks on that chart and, on the year-end chart for 1998, was all the way up at No. 12. (Three of the top five that year of Yield were Pearl Jam songs. To be eligible, a song had to be a single receiving radio or MTV airplay, so the other album tracks weren't eligible.)
  • Options
    Nice capturing of a small part of the music scene in the South Bay back in my youth. 
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    brianlux said:
    BF25394 said:

Even better-- I'm one of the eight, so it's only seven others. And one of the seven is trying to sell it!

That's one tiny club your in there!  Kinda cool, really.  :smile:

• Options
    Almost forgot about this one, maybe the best of the obscure LPs I have, and one of the coolest covers ever:
    REGGAE JACKSON smash hits BONGO BOY 12 LP 33 RPM - Picture 1 of 2

And this one too, another cool LP"

Session (7) Featuring Azeem* – Tribute To Bob Marley

Label:M. AL's – MLP 728
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album
    Released:1981
    Genre:Reggae

• Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    mfc2006 said:
    Heartless Bastards - All This Time
    Stairs and Elevators is great as well 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,089
    White Lighter by Joe Fletcher & The Wrong Reasons if he hadn't turned out to be a sex creep

So probably Jesus Let Me Down by Slim Cessna's Auto Club

Jupiter by Cave In if we're a little looser on "no one"
  • Options
    OK, one more and the I promise, this is it.  I just didn't know this was not more common:

The Replacements – Don't Sell Or Buy, It's Crap.

Label:Sire – PRO-A-4632
    Format:
    Vinyl, 12", 33 ⅓ RPM, Promo
    Released:1991
    Genre:Rock

• Options

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,965
    edited September 2023
    THIS sounds friggin awesome.
    They also supported Clutch when they did an Aussie tour a number of years ago. This footage is not from that tour. This is some rare footage I found of them playing the Meredith Music Fest here in Australia. 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,270
    Hemming - Self Titled.

I saw her open for Chris Cornell in Vancouver.   Often openers aren't that good, but she came out with an acoustic guitar and owned the place.  Bought her debut album and I still spin it quite a bit.  I recently read she's taking a break from the music industry.  It's too bad more people didn't get a chance to see her live.
  • Options
    Upon listening to Maple's It's My Last Night today (the CD that inspired this post), I noticed a possible Pearl Jam connection. One of the Maple tracks is titled (and chorused) "She's Flying Home." Could this have been the inspiration for "Given to Fly"? (I mean, besides "Going to California.") I kid, of course, I never heard that alleged echo of GTC in GTF.

When I first posted about Maple, I hesitated because, as much as I love the Maple album, I also own both albums by the late, lamented Mineral, and their first album is one of my very favorite albums by anyone ever. But I figured that Mineral has enough of a cult following (and influenced enough other bands) that it wouldn't be fair to say they've been heard by no one. After this discussion, I went to Discogs and checked, and it turns out that apparently 3,053 people have Mineral's first album. Only 237 people have the original pressing of the Mineral CD, but that still dwarfs the octet of fans who own the Maple CD.

Even though Maple and Mineral do not sound alike, I always associate them together because of their one-word M names and the paucity of people I know who have ever heard of them. But on the rare occasions that I meet someone who does know either one-- and it's always Mineral, but I think it would be true if I ever met someone who's heard of Maple-- I think I can pretty much guarantee that I am talking to a person who was between the ages of 13 and 24 in the mid-to-late 1990s.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    Love (x10) this record.  Top 10 to listen to on the cans

The love he receives is the love that is saved