Options

*** Austin, TX 2 Fanviews Here 9/19/23 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,928
edited September 2023 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Moody Center
Austin, TX
09/19/23
Show Two of Two
Set List

Opening Band: Inhaler

Walk on music: Phillip Glass-Metamorphosis 8:55
Band onstage 8:56
Band offstage 11:21

Eddie Vedder pre-show 7:30
Throw Your Arms Around Me-(Archer, Falconer, Howard, Miles, Seymour, Smith, Waters)

Pearl Jam Set List

01. Wash
02. Sometimes
03. Low Light
04. Black
{Ed says this is the last night of the extended Gigaton tour and that without giving anything away they have a record set for next year and you will get to hear some of the best playing this band has done-paraphrased obviously}
05. Retrograde
06. Once
07. Never Destination
08. Why Go
09. 1/2 Full
10. Daughter (Ed sings bits of Poor Girl by X for about a minute) Poor Girl-(Doe, Cervenka)
11. Unemployable
12. Dance Of The Clairvoyants
13. Habit
14. Who You Are
15. Glorified G
16. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break

{Ed talks about the need to come together}
17. Imagine-(Lennon)
18. Last Kiss-(Cochran)
19. Chloe Dancer/Crown Of Thorns-(Mother Love Bone, A. Wood) {Played for Mike’s wife Ashley birthday}
20. State Of Love And Trust
21. Jeremy
{Ed shows a book that Monica from Poland had given him a few shows earlier.  It is a book of her discovering Pearl Jam, traveling around following the band and finding friends and community with other fans and her life in general.  Ed assures it is a beautiful book with some terrific art and says the band is very moved and grateful for the friends that travel to see them and he thinks that playing for them makes the band play better}
22. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) 1:50
23. Alive
24. Rocking In The Free World-(Young) joined by members of Inhaler and John Doe of X
25. Yellow Ledbetter

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    booboolisciousboobooliscious Hebron, KY Posts: 253
    Show #29 in the books. Looking forward to #30. Section 113 was a fun crew. Great couple of nights in Austin!
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,469
    Phenomenal end to a 4 show Texas run!  I did not think Fort Worth 2 could be beat.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    Section 113 was a fun crew. 
    You're welcome!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,221
    That's a helluva setlist.  Maybe I should of gone down to Houston to visit a friend and done the road trip to Austin.  I would of finally knocked Who You Are off the list :)
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    A person behind me was helping others with their cameras and she took my picture and offered to send it to me. That was very nice. I'm usually by myself so I don't have many pictures of me at concerts. [Concert review later]
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    tottototto Posts: 291
    Moody Center is the best venue I've seen them in.  Austin always delivers! First set was outstanding, Thank you for WASH!
    Milwaukee, 7/8/95
    Milwaukee, 6/30/06
    East Troy, 9/3/11
    East Troy, 9/4/11
    San Jose, Costa Rica 11/20/11
    Manchester, England 6/20/12
    London, Canada 7/16/13
    Chicago, 7/19/13
    Charlottesville, 10/29/13 *** Favorite Show****
    Milwaukee, 10/20/14
    Chicago, 8/20/18
    Boston, 9/4/18
    St. Louis, 9/18/22
    St Paul, 8/31/23
    St Pau,l 9/2/23
    Austin, 9/18/23
    Austin, 9/19/23
    Chicago, 8/29/24
    Chicago, 8/31/24
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,586
    Finally got to see Who You Are. Great set. And new album next year confirmed by Ed!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Pretty, prettttty good! Great night AGAIN! Cool to see a bunch of people hitting show 100 tonight (or more!). 

Wash, 1/2 Full, HABIT! What a fun setlist. All things considered I think Ft. Worth were my Texas highlights, but Austin was a treat as well. 

Thank you Texas, thank you Pearl Jam, see ya next year. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Great set. Boring encore.
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,243
    edited September 2023
    Show 17. Finally landed who you are and sometimes. 17 shows, new songs at all 17. Good luck streak will stay alive with new album next year.

Black belongs in the early set with the slow starters. Perfect spot for it. 

So nice that evenflow was put up on the shelf for a change. Last show I saw without eflow was cleveland 2006. Also had no corduroy that night. 

Not my favorite set but I really love the diversity of this show. Unemployable is better then i recalled. I would have liked WWS/Severed Hand here but shit a song that's been sidelined since 2013 is pretty good.

Really was happy 2 get never destination and retrograde one last time before they become deep cuts. I think those two plus quick escape and who ever said translated the best live from gigaton. 

If I didn't land who you are tonight  I can see why some might say this was an underwhelming tour closer. 

Chloe/crown plus SOLAT in encore always moves the show to the W column. 

Felt like a pretty good crowd and high energy from 118 down low. Moody center sounds great. What a neat venue. 

Really fucking happy we probably don't have to suffer dotc live again for years if ever hopefully. Give it the sirens treatment and delete it from the live catalog. Its so good on the album but doesn't fit the flow of their live shows.
    Post edited by jimjam1982 on
  • Options
    Great main set. Wasn't impressed with the encore at all but to each their own. Seemed like many fans were into the last 10 songs but not my style.
  • Options
    Half Full was fantastic, my personal highlight.

Glorified G into RVM was probably the peak of the show. Was not expecting Crown or Who You Are at all.

At the end, Ed was definitely tearing up and didn’t want to get off stage. Two 100th shows in the crowd tonight. Mike teased Little Wing before YL. I thought the crowd was meh compared to the second nights in Chicago and FW. I also thought the flow was weird, that’s what made Chicago and FW so good. Never Destination after Once brought the crowd down, same with Unemployable after Daughter…but happy to say first time I’ve seen it since 2009.

Lastly, I thought Eddie trying to learn Habit AFTER introducing the song was hilarious.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    One can always say they should have played this or that but on this night there is nowhere on earth I would rather have been.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    yoyoyoyo France Posts: 310
    Who you are !    :o
    1996-PARIS
    2000-PARIS
    2006-ANVERS-MARSEILLE-PARIS
    2007-LONDRES-NIJMEGEN-WERCHTER
    2008-ED SOLO-LOS ANGELES1-LOS ANGELES2
    2009-LONDRES
    2010-DUBLIN-ARRAS
    2012-AMSTERDAM1-ARRAS-STOCKHOLM-OSLO-COPENHAGUE
    2014-MILAN
    2017-ED SOLO-AMSTERDAM1
    2018-ROME
    2022-PARIS-AMSTERDAM1(Canceled)-AMSTERDAM2
    2024-BERLIN1-BERLIN2-BARCELONE1-BARCELONE2
  • Options
    One can always say they should have played this or that but on this night there is nowhere on earth I would rather have been.  
    Amazing show. As always. 
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:
    A person behind me was helping others with their cameras and she took my picture and offered to send it to me. That was very nice. I'm usually by myself so I don't have many pictures of me at concerts. [Concert review later]
    That's a cool picture. 
    Look forward to your review. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

THIS was exactly what I needed from Austin 2 for so many reasons! A few rambling initial thoughts:

- TYAAM preset! To quote Rent, an Ed preset always means a wild night is now preordained!

- Love Wash as an opener, but having Black so early really set the tone. Mike was on absolute fire. Everyone was sitting, but he was soaring. Nothing better than having Mike in a mood. 

- DOTC has come a long way since I first heard it at Ohana, and even since last year’s NYC. Haters gonna hate, but it was nice, tight and punchy. 

- Speaking as a child of the 90s, I can confirm that Habit rocked hard. 

- SOLAT rocked harder than it has any right to after 30+ years. And coming right after Chloe/Crown, it was like I was right back in college listening to the Singles soundtrack on repeat. It’s still hard to comprehend how good all that music was at all the same time.

- Ledbetter to finish has been very personal to me since losing my PJ +1 in 2018. As always, Phred - this is for you. 

- Moody is a great sounding venue and it was a good, loud and happy crowd. A great end to the tour, and a great launching point for the (now confirmed by Ed!!) new album and tour to come next year. I hope to see you all on the road in 2024!

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    Another great setlist...unreal 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Love the EV presets

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,640
    On paper that first set looks amazing. Nice mix up of songs. 
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,537
    Very pleased to have travelled into Austin for both shows. Safe return home for all. Bring on ‘24.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,124
    I thought the show was amazing. Sure there are always songs I'd prefer vs others but I always enjoy the hell out of just being in the presence of this mind blowing band. Ed looked so grateful by the end and they deserve all the cheering. What an amazing run of shows. That Black solo is one of the most incredible things I've ever heard. I love unemployable and was in happy bliss when Ed started talking about employment and Chloe Crown..well it's just beautiful and I noticed Ed is going for the high notes this tour. He sounds incredible. How grateful I am to have just seen these last 2 shows. 
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823

THIS was exactly what I needed from Austin 2 for so many reasons! A few rambling initial thoughts:

- TYAAM preset! To quote Rent, an Ed preset always means a wild night is now preordained!

- Love Wash as an opener, but having Black so early really set the tone. Mike was on absolute fire. Everyone was sitting, but he was soaring. Nothing better than having Mike in a mood. 

- DOTC has come a long way since I first heard it at Ohana, and even since last year’s NYC. Haters gonna hate, but it was nice, tight and punchy. 

- Speaking as a child of the 90s, I can confirm that Habit rocked hard. 

- SOLAT rocked harder than it has any right to after 30+ years. And coming right after Chloe/Crown, it was like I was right back in college listening to the Singles soundtrack on repeat. It’s still hard to comprehend how good all that music was at all the same time.

- Ledbetter to finish has been very personal to me since losing my PJ +1 in 2018. As always, Phred - this is for you. 

- Moody is a great sounding venue and it was a good, loud and happy crowd. A great end to the tour, and a great launching point for the (now confirmed by Ed!!) new album and tour to come next year. I hope to see you all on the road in 2024!

I'm just here to rec the Rent quote.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    marcusinaustinmarcusinaustin Austin Posts: 6
    edited September 2023
    i

TYPJ!!!!!!!!!! 

My first time doing 4 in a row and first GA since 2014! Checked a bunch off of my list. See you next year.

p.s. Nice to meet so many of the Faithfull!  Shout out to Wes, the gal from northern CAL, and the couple from NYC.
    Post edited by marcusinaustin on
    Houston (09/05/92) - Austin (10/04/09)  - Austin (10/05/14) - Austin (10/12/14) - Raleigh (04/20/16) - Oklahoma City (10/20/22) - Ft Worth (09/13/23) - Ft Worth (09/15/23) - Austin (09/18/23) - Austin (09/19/23)

• Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    Mike McCready played a quick snippet / tribute to SRV during YL. It was not “tightrope” as some have claimed .

It was a combo of riffs from two SRV songs “Couldn’t Stand the Weather “ into “Scuttle Buttin’”.

"This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    HH140540HH140540 Atlanta Posts: 503
    yoyo said:
    Who you are !    :o
    Been waiting to see this one for a long time!
  • Options
    SchmaktSchmakt Charlotte Posts: 207
    I kinda wanted to just skip this show... the sitting down... shorted setlists... the song choices from night 1? Not worth it.

And the first time I haven't been in GA since Hawai'i '06... BEHIND Boom.
    Ugh.

What an idiot I was trying to be!
    This show was so so so good!  And I actually really enjoyed being back in 103 and seeing the show from an entirely new point of view!

First show in a 5 year hiatus, and it was a great way to be welcomed back. Encore?  Didn't love it... I could hear RitFW again exactly never and be exactly zero sad about that... But YL to end was awesome and expected.  First show I've been to where Even Flow wasn't played... that was freaking cool.

And I LOOOOVVEE DotC... freaking LOVE it.  And I hate Gigaton b/c they released that song that seemingly has nearly nothing to do with the rest of the record.  So I was stoked to hear DotC.  AND I was stoked to hear Retrograde and feel like I need to re-listen.
    Who You Are, 1/2 Full, and Wash were all firsts for me...
    Glorified G,, Chloe Dancer/Crown... 2nd time...

My plane is landing now, but I am just BEYOND pleased. :)
    2003-04-15: Raleigh, NC
    2003-04-16: Charlotte, NC
    2004-10-06: Asheville, NC
    2006-05-30: Washington, DC
    2006-08-29: Arnhem, The Netherlands
    2006-12-02: Honolulu, Hawaii
    2012-06-26: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    2012-09-22: Atlanta, GA
    2013-10-30: Charlotte, NC
    2014-01-19: Gold Coast, Australia
    2014-06-28: Stockholm, Sweden
    2014-06-29: Oslo, Norway
    2016-04-18: Hampton, VA
    2016-04-20: Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21: Columbia, SC
    2018-07-01: Prague, Czech Republic
    2018-07-03: Krakow, Poland
    2018-09-04: Boston, MA
    2020-07-15: Budapest, Hungary
    2020-07-17: Zurich, Switzerland
    2023-09-19: Austin, TX
  • Options
    BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 278
    Habit, Who You Are, Glorified G all in a row - outstanding
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,494
    My first show since ACL 2009 and it was great. Main set was awesome, encore was a bit meh - way too many covers. Like others have said, I could never hear RITFW again and be happy. We were in FLR 1 and the view was actually good even for me who is 5'3". I wish we could've gone Monday night too but weeknights and babysitting issues prevented us from doing that. Hopefully they'll be back to Texas before they retire.
  • Options
    goodrocgoodroc Posts: 118
    Amazing show was in Pit for both shows.  Night one I thought better set list and flow but the energy from crowd and band far superior Night 2.  Moody Center is awesome.  

Thank you to my friend from Atlanta who made the show so much fun.   If you see this DM me.   Safe travels.   Paul