Options

New album article in SPIN

Comments

• Options
    beano.79 said:
    What's interesting is the way he talks about it is as if it's done and ready

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,351
    I wonder if the goal is to tighten up the record after tour and roll it out in the late winter/spring.

Recording is complete.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    I wonder if the goal is to tighten up the record after tour and roll it out in the late winter/spring.

Recording is complete.
    Do go on…
  • Options
    I have it on good authority that recording is complete. Mixing was already underway a few months ago.
  • Options
    https://www.musicradar.com/news/it-makes-it-sound-more-powerful-than-anything-weve-done-in-a-long-time-pearl-jams-new-album-isnt-quite-finished-yet-but-mike-mccready-just-told-us-two-very-good-reasons-to-get-excited-about-it?fbclid=IwAR0ngeTI_CuIj_DeUriSFetqQz0SrN6MiLoHt2vHvkxXloQRZq7nXaE5e6Y

[quote]"He pushed me in a direction for this latest album that we've done with him, that we're still doing, to do more leads," added McCready. "I'm doing leads on almost every song. And that hasn't been the case with Pearl Jam for a long time. If anything there's been songs [where's it's been], 'Don't put a lead on it' and sometimes I go, 'Well f*** I want to do a lead', it's sad. And sometimes it makes sense to not have one but it's kind of what I'm the best at. So I missed it for a few years, and a lot of records[/quote]

[quote]"So Andrew went completely crazy and said, 'You're putting a lead of every single song' and some of them have two," McCready revealed to MusicRadar. "And that's what's happened and it's been really fun to do that again because it's given me the freedom to express myself where I haven't been for the last couple of records."[/quote]

[quote]"He kind of kicked our asses," he admitted. "He kicked us to record quickly, got Matt Cameron to play more like he did in Soundgarden, in my mind. Matt Cameron's pushing this thing and it makes it sound more powerful than anything we've done in a long time.  [/quote]

PJ: Pinkpop 2000, Sydney I/II/III 2003, Adelaide 2003, Arnhem 2006, Antwerp 2006, Berlin 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Nijmegen 2007, Werchter 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Amsterdam I/II 2012, Amsterdam I/II 2014, Amsterdam I/II 2018, Pinkpop 2018, Werchter 2018, Pinkpop 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022.
    EV: Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I/III 2017, Amsterdam I 2019
    Brad: Zoetermeer & Utrecht 2013
    Soundgarden: Pinkpop 2012, Amsterdam 2013, Utrecht 2014
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    This is all good news! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    I have it on good authority that recording is complete. Mixing was already underway a few months ago.
    Did you hear this at 31 flavors last night?
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    will the vinyl be below 50 dollars
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    will the vinyl be below 50 dollars
  • Options
    Man do I hope this is true…
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    No but, oddly enough, it was told to me by the aforementioned good authority at a place that is famous for its desserts.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    So honestly, if they wanted they could probably have it out by Christmas?
    I don’t know that they want to, I’m just hoping for the best
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    edited September 2023
    Well I’m seriously excited about this.  I miss the days where they crafted things together, based off of a simple riff or chord progression.  Them creating something together is bound to be a really cool album… and hopefully way less “overproduced feeling” than some of the recent ones.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    kmcmanus said:
    BF25394 said:
    That gets into questions of manufacturing and supply chain that are above my pay grade (not to mention that they have to decide on a title and artwork-- I'm not saying they haven't already done this, just that this is something else that adds time to getting the whole thing together even after recording is completed).

EDIT: I don't mean to imply that I know whether they have decided on a title, etc. I don't, although I am reasonably sure that they had not done so as of the end of June.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    BF25394 said:
    That gets into questions of manufacturing and supply chain that are above my pay grade (not to mention that they have to decide on a title and artwork-- I'm not saying they haven't already done this, just that this is something else that adds time to getting the whole thing together even after recording is completed).

EDIT: I don't mean to imply that I know whether they have decided on a title, etc. I don't, although I am reasonably sure that they had not done so as of the end of June.
    Thanks for the insights. I’m hoping we get it sooner than later. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,816
    BF25394 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    BF25394 said:

Why would Jeff say it was not done in July then? It goes from not feeling like a record to complete in how long?
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Much like Dimitris Pearl Jam somehow knows the set list before a show happens, what is your connection? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659
    edited September 2023
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    No but, oddly enough, it was told to me by the aforementioned good authority at a place that is famous for its desserts.
    So you heard this from Josh?
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    BF25394 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    BF25394 said:

Why would Jeff say it was not done in July then? It goes from not feeling like a record to complete in how long?
    I thought those comments were odd in light of what I had been told, but I have no idea. Maybe something changed? Maybe Jeff is ambivalent about what they did? Maybe I was told something in error?
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 902
    Hard to be excited about the new sound when much of earthlings is just outright forgettable.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    Ed solo is a much different animal. There's 4 extra songwriters there, that, arguably, many of us prefer the songs they bring to the table than the ones Frontman does. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452
    It would be cool if we could get a Some Kind of Monster type documentary out of those sessions.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,924
    on2legs said:
    It would be cool if we could get a Some Kind of Monster type documentary out of those sessions.  

Ah, yes please! 
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,434
    KN219077 said:
    Hard to be excited about the new sound when much of earthlings is just outright forgettable.
    It is not forgettable. Many great tunes on that album
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    I agree. I love Earthling.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    I agree, Earthling is a great record. Lots of great moments on that thing. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,242
    I also love Earthling.  It took a bit to grow on me, wasn't a love at first sight kind of thing, but I really dig it now.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    KN219077 said:
    It is not forgettable. Many great tunes on that album
    It's definitely the best of his solo records. Into the Wild gets points for how well it vibes with the movie, but Earthling is a better collection of songs.
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,190
    I like Earthling. The only song that’s meh for me is picture.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    I like Earthling a lot, but that’s not even that relevant to the new album. This will have parts written with Stone Jeff Mike & Matt (yeah I know captain obvious here). No disrespect to the Earthlings guys, I like them, but it’s not really a valid comparison.