Options

Native Hawaiians call for sovereignty

2»

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    tish said:
    I agree with you Brian, however, I think it's more than your synopsis. It's not just running people out of their homelands. It is genocide. When Indigenous people are displaced, we lose culture, language, family, community, and connection to the land. To be blunt: Foreign landowners, big and small, like Ed, are killing them.
    honest question: how does an island, whose largest contributor to their economy is tourism, expect no one to want to set up shop there once they've experienced it with their own eyes? can you make local laws to only have a certain portion of the land owned by non-natives? what is the answer here?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tish said:
    I agree with you Brian, however, I think it's more than your synopsis. It's not just running people out of their homelands. It is genocide. When Indigenous people are displaced, we lose culture, language, family, community, and connection to the land. To be blunt: Foreign landowners, big and small, like Ed, are killing them.
    honest question: how does an island, whose largest contributor to their economy is tourism, expect no one to want to set up shop there once they've experienced it with their own eyes? can you make local laws to only have a certain portion of the land owned by non-natives? what is the answer here?
    And how does one reconcile immigration with some of these other thoughts? 

I honestly don't know exactly how I feel about this.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,790
    tish said:

My exact thoughts. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,546
    tish said:

Wasn't part of the fire because they had changed their Indigenous plants? Didn't native Hawaiians survive before they became poor catering to tourists?
  • Options
    tish said:
    tish said:

Wasn't part of the fire because they had changed their Indigenous plants? Didn't native Hawaiians survive before they became poor catering to tourists?
    Yes. Catch 22. 

They need tourism to stay afloat but the land they had was sold and converted into other things.  It's happened to pretty much any island in the Pacific and Caribean.
  • Options
    tish said:

Great point.  I was going to bring this up in the immigration thread.