Ticketmaster pricing is just off, its got to stop….

I just don't know how many more shows I am going to buy into with 10 club tickets if the current system stays “as is”.

Example:
For Fort Worth N1 there are currently 8 tickets in Section 123 Row 3 for $458….

This is just one example but it seems to occur a lot lately and should be a disturbing trend.

Meanwhile there are “Face Value Exchange” tickets in the same section for $773.75.  This seems very punitive to people who rush to buy tickets and then ticket master finds more later and undercuts you on price.

If the system were fair you should be able to swap out your overpriced tickets for even a small upgrade of 2 rows.  However Ticketmaster already has your money and still needs to sell all available tickets so you are SOL…

I understand the system is supposed to stop scalping or resellers, however it really just seems to reward Ticketmaster to charge the highest possible price until people just refuse to pay it.  And then when Ticketmaster has a “fire sale” and charges less for better tickets the people who were in early are left holding the bag on overpriced tickets.

I love to go see live shows but if this is the new “normal” I’m going to be a lot more selective on what I choose to overpay for or just cut out Ticketmaster purchases all together
Raleigh, NC 8-18-92
Missoula, MT 9-30-12, EV Dallas, TX 11-15-12, EV San Antonio 11-16-12
London, ONT 7-16-13 - Wrigley Field 7-19-13
Charlotte 10-30-13, Dallas 11-15-13, OKC 11-16-13, Seattle 12-6-13
Tulsa 10-8-14, Lincoln 10-9-14, St. Paul 10-19-14, Milwaukee 10-20-14
NYC 9-26-15
Ft Lauderdale 4-8-16, Miami 4-9-16, Tampa 4-11-16, Jacksonville 4-13-16, Pemberton 7-17-16,Wrigley 8-20-16 and 8-22-16
Seattle 8-8-18; 8-10-18, Missoula 8-13-18
Earthlings 2022:  Seattle 2-21-222 and 2-22-22, Los Angeles 2-25-22
EV Coeur d’Alene 7-28-23, St Paul 8-31-23 and 9-2-23, Ft Worth 9-13-23 and 9-15-23, EV Seattle 10-23-23 and 10-24-23

Comments

• The moral of the story is to wait until the last minute before buying your tickets.  Unless you are talking about Taylor Swift or a Pearl Jam MSG show, you are bound to come out ahead.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,664
    This is the "New normal" for superstar acts with devoted followings.

But always keep in mind that ALL pricing is agreed to by the artists.
  • It makes the lottery less desirable. Especially if GA and reserved are included together. 
  • It makes the lottery less desirable. Especially if GA and reserved are included together. 
    Need to separate out GA again, especially considering the sh*tshow that happened with the seat assignments this tour. 
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    jomary said:
    however it really just seems to reward Ticketmaster to charge the highest possible price until people just refuse to pay it
    That's capitalism for ya. They charge what the market is willing to pay. Ticketmaster makes a mint, but the band benefits too since that money doesn't just go to scalpers. In general, I'm for their ability to do that, but the way they hold back tickets to create artificial scarcity is really shady shit, and the F2F absolutely needs to let you sell for less than you paid.
    It makes the lottery less desirable. Especially if GA and reserved are included together. 
    Which is a good thing imo. Gives locals a better shot as there aren't people just putting in for all the GAs hoping to get lucky and then figure out travel plans later.
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,899
    jomary said:
    I just don't know how many more shows I am going to buy into with 10 club tickets if the current system stays “as is”.

Example:

This is just one example but it seems to occur a lot lately and should be a disturbing trend.

Meanwhile there are “Face Value Exchange” tickets in the same section for $773.75.  This seems very punitive to people who rush to buy tickets and then ticket master finds more later and undercuts you on price.

If the system were fair you should be able to swap out your overpriced tickets for even a small upgrade of 2 rows.  However Ticketmaster already has your money and still needs to sell all available tickets so you are SOL…

I understand the system is supposed to stop scalping or resellers, however it really just seems to reward Ticketmaster to charge the highest possible price until people just refuse to pay it.  And then when Ticketmaster has a “fire sale” and charges less for better tickets the people who were in early are left holding the bag on overpriced tickets.

I love to go see live shows but if this is the new “normal” I’m going to be a lot more selective on what I choose to overpay for or just cut out Ticketmaster purchases all together
    This is why I don’t go to many shows anymore. Tired of this kind of stuff. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • I don't pretend to understand it.

I saw OAR this last summer and got a band hand-signed variant poster AFTER the show with no line at all.

And they're a good band...what the hell are they doing that PJ/10C refuses to do?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    So I was at show last night. And my seats were in 300’s with a side view of stage/band. Angle had it that screen was barely visible. Now I am glad to be at the show but 10club members should be getting better seats. If I was any further to the right I would be basically behind the stage. And it reminded me of how messed up the lottery was for this tour with P2 and P3 selections winning ahead of P1 selections. 

I hope lessons were learned for future tours to improve the ticket process and make it a little more fair for fans alike and keep ticket prices low! 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    jomary said:

Example:

This does aptly discuss the new paradigm.  Previously it was all about promoters/bands selling all the tickets ASAP so no one was left holding the bag.  Now it's about maximizing revenue, so the platinum ticket thing, where they drip platinum tickets out, to maximize revenue, then blow out what's left in the days before or day of the show at low prices.

It's now better (unless the show has insane demand) to hold off to buy tickets until you are in the days leading up to the show.   I understand it, but it sucks for me, as I have to travel, and it's a shame booking a trip (vacation, travel, hotels) without tickets in hand.

I dunno... it's a mess.  It does make you wonder about 10c tickets... maybe if it's msg or a big market you do what you have to do, but if it's a smaller market good bet you'll find cheap tickets day before or day of.    It's the spontanity of that, that's a challenge.

I do wonder how much more PJ get's get making 10% platinum.  Could they not just average out that revenue on the other 90% of tickets.  It would probably have a minimal impact?

20000 seat venue.

2000 sell at 500/ticket
    18000 sell at 150/ticket.

I guess that would be $55 per ticket more if they can average $500 per platinum ticket.   I dunno, I loathe platinum so much.